Options

MOBAs: not even once.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, I've been watching a PTS stream and holy crap the new Nox seems extremely interesting... possibly broken but looks really fun. Also, this PTS build might be a liiiitle unstable. Just saying.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    So they never could get her old kit working?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it was always kind a sloppy kit

a low-cooldown silence + an ult that does more damage if your enemy uses spells = ???????????????????????

plus her shield move did almost nothing

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    I am playing Heroes of the Storm. It's pretty fun!

I'm Dyne#1729 if anyone wants to add me.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I'm also going to try playing some HotS! I'm CableCarrier#1731

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    HotS players, type

/join heroes of the wang

In the chat box to join the PA channel. Given how small Blizzard friend lists are, that's generally how we coordinate games.

• Options
    TDOT watches from his command post as hots talk erodes Smite talk.

"We chased off the Leagues and Dotes. This too shall pass."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Smite has 100% spoiled me in terms of character availability

Being able to pay a flat price for all the characters in the game makes free-to-play rotations seem real shitty in comparison

• Options
    on the flip side it's shitty that the god pack is apparently only going to be a temporary thing on xbone
    TDOT watches from his command post as hots talk erodes Smite talk.

"We chased off the Leagues and Dotes. This too shall pass."

for real though I don't want this to just be the smite thread

• Options
    on the flip side it's shitty that the god pack is apparently only going to be a temporary thing on xbone

Yeah, between that and requiring an account transfer it's killed my interest in trying a console version of Smite (if a PS4 version ever even happens)

• Options
    just discovered Ares is currently disabled in the PTS

apparently if Nox his grabbed by an Ares ultimate, and then she goes into a teammate before the pull, it breaks everything

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's not the only thing that bugs out new Nox. I'm not exactly sure what interaction did it, but in the stream I was watching last night, the person playing Nox ended up disappearing and becoming just the ball of shadow that she is during the dash, but permanently. She could still cast all her abilities and basic attack and everything, however her targeting directions were really messed up, and the last ally she had dashed into was constantly showing her the AoE explosion targeter of her dash. I believe the Ares thing was the same thing.

As for the Xbone Smite, it isn't an account transfer, it's a one time account cloning. So you basically get everything you have from your PC account unlocked on the Xbox version at the time that you do it, from that point on the accounts are completely separate though. As far as my understanding of it anyway. It also isn't required either, certainly no reason not to try the console version.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

Yeah, between that and requiring an account transfer it's killed my interest in trying a console version of Smite (if a PS4 version ever even happens)

it's not a transfer, they make a copy of your original account.
    of course, it is shitty that they're only doing the copies for a limited time / you have to actually have an xbone right now to do it

• Options
    edited June 2015
    a MOBA account is a major time investment, what with all of its progression systems and whatnot, even when it's just e-peen unlocks

it's really not unreasonable for someone not to want to put time into disconnected versions of the same game

if different hi-rez accounts carried over it would be a different story, but as it stands, if I had an xbone, I probably wouldn't put much time into its version of smite

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Earlier today I played a match where the opposing team was made entirely of assassins.

We got destroyed. One of my teammates said we needed a plan, and another responded that it needed to be a very good plan against team shank you in the back.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    the worst is playing something like malfurion against zeratul and nova simultaneously

enjoy never leaving your tower line again!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the worst is playing something like malfurion against zeratul and nova simultaneously

enjoy never leaving your tower line again!

You gotta stick close to a tank buddy and take defensive talents when this happens. Basically without a good tank to support you here you're gonna die.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Even when I lose I still love HotS.

This is the first MOBA that is fun for me to lose.

I still prefer winning, however.

• Options
    I had a Tychus who yelled at us for letting him die when he was pushing after three of us died in a teamfight.

Come back, sarukun...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh my god. I just had a game of LoL go for over an hour where I was Sion and ended with around 5500 HP.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hi moba folks, how long is an average game of Hots?

Peas on
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    a MOBA account is a major time investment, what with all of its progression systems and whatnot, even when it's just e-peen unlocks

it's really not unreasonable for someone not to want to put time into disconnected versions of the same game

if different hi-rez accounts carried over it would be a different story, but as it stands, if I had an xbone, I probably wouldn't put much time into its version of smite
    It's kind of the reverse for me. Since I got the god pack way back when I don't really mind the accounts be disconnected. worshipers and god ranks not carrying over was a little annoying but being able to sit on my couch and play smite with a controller is really nice.

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Hi moba folks, how long is an average game of Hots?

Most of mine have been in the 20 - 25 minutes range. Depends on the map.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    The average game is like 22 minutes, with a stomp being anywhere from 10-17 depending how good the enemy team is, and a "long" game being around 30.

I've heard of 40+ minutes, but in my 300+ games of hots I don't think I've encountered one.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Even when I lose I still love HotS.

This is the first MOBA that is fun for me to lose.

I still prefer winning, however.

Losing is always optimal in mobas. Because I get to hear Blue Map's anguish.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Worse is when we're winning

We were chasing this Sylv with 26 coins and I was seriously getting ready to dial 911

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That game was a ton of fun.

Finally murdering that Sylv felt so great.

• Options
    The average game is like 22 minutes, with a stomp being anywhere from 10-17 depending how good the enemy team is, and a "long" game being around 30.

I've heard of 40+ minutes, but in my 300+ games of hots I don't think I've encountered one.

27 minutes is an eternity in HotS. I don't think I've ever played a half hour game. Most of my games are between 18 and 22 minutes.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    If I hate league and Dota should I even bother with trying HotS?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Depends what you hate about them.

broken image link
  • Options

The ivory tower game design item shop crap, and the insanely high learning curve, and the toxic player bases.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

The ivory tower game design item shop crap, and the insanely high learning curve, and the toxic player bases.

There is no item shop, and a lot of the kind of obscure things like last hitting and stuff have been cut out. It is a much simpler game than League or Dota, and I don't know how much staying power it will have, but for now it is plenty of fun and is easy to pick up and play, especially if you team up with a friend or four and fart around.

I have seen exactly zero toxic people so far after maybe 10-15 games. Maybe that's not a big enough sample set to really say for certain but it seems pretty alright.

So yeah it might be worth giving it a shot. Worst case scenario, you hate it and lose 6 gigs of your download limit and 20 minutes of time.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Here are the primary differences.
    • There are no items or shops in hots. Each hero has a choice of talents every few levels, like 3-5 per tier. Also, you have your choice between two ults
    • As a result, there is also no gold or last hitting or denying.
    • Instead of just towers, there are two small towns in each lane, with three towers and a fort
    • Towers and forts have (regenerating) ammo, so eventually you can run out if you lean on them too much.
    • Instead of a jungle there's merc camps that are normally down as a group. There's no real jungling in hots
    • The game has multiple maps with different main objectives. Think of it as the Roshan or Baron of hots, only you get to control a Dragon or shut off your enemy's defenses if you win
    • Players level as a team instead of individually, so hard carries aren't really a thing
    • There's only friendly team chat, but you can switch it off.
    • Aforementioned shorter games, but no surrender function as a result

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Cool seems like it'll be worth trying more than just the tutorial then.

I always liked the like idea of mobas but always found them to be not as much fun to play with people as I would hope.

I'll give this a shot later today.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Had a 40 min game last night where both teams had low dps and the team fights would result in like one support on each team surviving and going back to clean up mobs. We won after we wiped them out on our nexus and me (on Jaina) and an azmodan, the only survivors, went and took out the rest of their nexus. Both teams were lv 27. Got like 350k xp from it.

It was actually pretty excruciating.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    sarukun wrote: »

27 minutes is an eternity in HotS. I don't think I've ever played a half hour game. Most of my games are between 18 and 22 minutes.
    I've had some 30+ minute matches here and there, but it probably makes up a very small percentage of the non-bot matches I've played in hots. Like, less than 5%.

EDIT: I've looked at hotslog, and 7.9% of my matches exceeded 30 minutes, and I've had ONE match that took over 40.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The only downside I saw in HOTS (aside from if you want to be the pro gamer, but then you are already playing DOTA or LOL) was that it seemed a little opaque as to what certain things did, like when my giant bug dude had a shield or made little scarabs, it was hard to tell if the scarabs accomplished much. Likewise some enemy skills don't have a lot of visual cue, or my graphics settings may have just been low and holding me back. But the design aside from that is astoundingly solid. Map objectives are fun, team leveling is a great idea, most teams are suprisingly responsive to map pings, and I nearly wet myself when I saw that it was just the basic talent tree rather than having any items. And it didn't take but a couple wins to unlock the full tree for a character, which is nice and gives a good intro to "this is how this thing basically works, and we will limit your options to make things easier for a couple games"

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    And it didn't take but a couple wins to unlock the full tree for a character, which is nice and gives a good intro to "this is how this thing basically works, and we will limit your options to make things easier for a couple games"

When you hit account level 25, and have a good grasp of the game, they get rid of it entirely.