Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    In addition to more positive Del Toro news rather than the shitshow he had to endure....forever.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LUasFly0c

A year ago I would have laughed at this.

Now, it's just sad. Very very sad.

Also that is totally not Mantis' voice.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    He's back! In pog car form!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    He's back! In pog car form!

This is so tragically on-point.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Didn't take Konami long to start monetizing the MGS brand after Kojima left, huh?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Not as good as that Ford DBZ ad

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Didn't take Konami long to start monetizing the MGS brand after Kojima left, huh?

I know Hayter's gotta eat and all, but...man, you could have said "no" to this.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    With how angry he was at Snake being taken away from him, I could see him doing this for free ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Unfortunately, that video serves as the perfect 60 second explanation for why Snake was taken away from him in the first place.

And I love Hayter! And that silly commercal!

President Evil on
  • Options
    I'm now imagining this scenario where Metal Gear Solid "6" gets announced, and Hayter will be featured in it as a way for Konami to say "See? We care more about the fans than Kojima!" while continuing to ruin the rest of that game.

It makes me sick to my stomach, but I know that is exactly what they would do.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, that video serves as the perfect 60 second explanation for why Snake was taken away from him in the first place.

And I love Hayter! And that silly commercal!

I'll confess that I read this comment and immediately thought, "Wait, so that CalorieMate ad is what convinced Kojima he needed Jack Bauer? That makes perfect sense."

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Doritos, Mountain Dew, Axe, and Uniqlo were already product-placing in the games under Kojima's direction, so I don't feel much of anything about those ads.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I was just wondering why he was carting around coffee creamer... but... it's CalorieMate. Not Coffeemate.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I was just wondering why he was carting around coffee creamer... but... it's CalorieMate. Not Coffeemate.

It's a semi-famous product in Japan (or at least it was when I was in Yokohama), though not on the end of, say, Pepsi or something.

Kojima just has a fetish for certain commercial products. CalorieMate is forgivable at least because it's old, though how a bunch of packages end up in fictional Soviet Tajikistan....eh.....

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Why was anyone afraid of this happening

It doesn't correlate at all with the fact that a new Metal Gear game isn't happening

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I don't honestly don't care much that we propably won't get another MGS. What else can be done in this universe? I would like to see Revengeance 2 more, while Kojima finally has a chance to do something new.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Those 3D models
    of the characters
    holy crap, they're amazing

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Those 3D models
    of the characters
    holy crap, they're amazing

They are amazing.

But no time to look at that now HIT THE LEVER

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That is for a pachinko thing, right? Because that's like, an intentionally cruel thing to do...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I like how they're still using the original Kojima Productions logo as an extra kick to the balls.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ed: nm

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That is for a pachinko thing, right? Because that's like, an intentionally cruel thing to do...

Why?

It's Japan, if you have a successful IP you have a pachinko game or a medal game or probably both. It's business as usual.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Because at first glance it looks like they're remastering one of the greatest games of all time. Then you realize it's just par for the course Konami awfulness.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Because at first glance it looks like they're remastering one of the greatest games of all time.

If you let any part of this trailer make you forget about the last two years of Konami then I don't know what to say man

Except always keep "Konami doesn't make video games anymore" in the back of your head

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Are those actually realtime rendered? Yo I didn't know slot machine tech is that real.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd be more upset if we were looking at a situation where Konami had somehow found a way to drag Kojima back in to make another metal gear while treating him like shit. Or suing him for some horseshit reason. Or anything like that.

Them making a goddam pachinko game of MGS4 doesn't sting nearly as much as when they made one for SH2.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    My favorite thing is that that's most likely being rendered in the Fox engine. So they went through the effort to remake cutscenes from MGS3 in the fox engine just for a pachinko machine.

That's like 3 layers of petty. It's kinda impressive.

Snake! You need to remember the basics of CQC. To perform CQC you need to HIT THE LEVER!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    My favorite thing is that that's most likely being rendered in the Fox engine. So they went through the effort to remake cutscenes from MGS3 in the fox engine just for a pachinko machine.

Snake! You need to remember the basics of CQC. To perform CQC you need to HIT THE LEVER!

Petty how? They have access to an engine, they have access to an IP, having the prettiest pachislot machine in the building will be good advertisement.

Like, I get what we don't like konami and all but there's nothing insidious about releasing a pachislot machine in Japan.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Petty how? They have access to an engine, they have access to an IP, having the prettiest pachislot machine in the building will be good advertisement.

Like, I get what we don't like konami and all but there's nothing insidious about releasing a pachislot machine in Japan.

From all I've read, if the standard is 'in Japan', Konami is a great company which treats it's employees wonderfully.

I mean, I'm sure the things are super popular and not-at-all hideously tacky, in Japan.

But I'll still continue to groan at them, since I'm not Japanese, and I'm not in Japan.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »

From all I've read, if the standard is 'in Japan', Konami is a great company which treats it's employees wonderfully.

I mean, I'm sure the things are super popular and not-at-all hideously tacky, in Japan.

But I'll still continue to groan at them, since I'm not Japanese, and I'm not in Japan.

What I mean is it's being made by Japan, for Japan, and will probably never see release outside of Japan. It doesn't affect us in anyway. Like, no one cares when Nintendo puts out yet another Mario themed medal game, and no one cares when Capcom puts out yet another Monster Hunter themed pachislot machine. Why care about this?

• Options

What I mean is it's being made by Japan, for Japan, and will probably never see release outside of Japan. It doesn't affect us in anyway. Like, no one cares when Nintendo puts out yet another Mario themed medal game, and no one cares when Capcom puts out yet another Monster Hunter themed pachislot machine. Why care about this?

Why care about anything? Nothing is real. Nothing matters!

We are all nothing more than shadows and dust! SHADOWS AND DUST!

• Options

Oh no, you've sussed out my secret nihilism. Whatever will I do.

(Conversations work better when you respond to what people are actually saying.)

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Eat at Arbys

• Options
    edited June 2016

(Conversations work better when you respond to what people are actually saying.)

To the point: there is no reason for them to care. But they will. Because they can.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

To the point: there is no reason for them to care. But they will. Because they can.

Fair enough. People can get riled up over what they feel like getting riled up over, to each their own. But Konami has three divisions dedicated to pachislot machines and has been making products for that market for over 25 years now. It's just the most business as usual thing possible to me.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Glad to see Pachinkowatch 2016 is going well

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Fair enough. People can get riled up over what they feel like getting riled up over, to each their own. But Konami has three divisions dedicated to pachislot machines and has been making products for that market for over 25 years now. It's just the most business as usual thing possible to me.

Yeah, it makes sense from a business perspective. Not so much from a fan's perspective, especially among fans who believe that what happened between Konami's leadership and Kojima was entirely one-sided and had nothing to do with the very strong push away from auteurs in game development.

edit: The whole back and forth with his name being plastered on and off everything speaks to that struggle.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Is this thread for any Konami griping, or just Kojima/MGS specifically?

I was going to let my wife do the stream on my channel this week with one of her favorite games, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but the attempts to get it on Twitch kept failing and the codes are pretty vague.

Someone from r/Twitch saw my tweet to Twitch's support and tells me that Microsoft hasn't approved it for streaming. So far, everything else I have on Xbox One works, so I'm guessing the real reason begins with "Ko" and ends with "nami."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!