As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] 100% XP Boost active through June 24

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    MMMig wrote: »
    So the game goes "Live" in a week.

Are we expecting any kind of pomp and circumstance?
    Well obviously they're doing some launch event in London.

Jo is flagged for a June 2nd release, and she's already IN the game (check your hero collection) so that's a given. I imagine we'll see a boatload of polish for icons, models, and so forth. And probably some kind of very underwhelming reward for League play will be added to the game. Like...probably a portrait each month for getting Rank 40 or something.

Also a shitload of cross-promotion. There's like three mounts flagged for June 2nd that you unlock by playing WoW, Hearthstone, and buying stuff in the shop.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Fry wrote: »
    I have two plans against Illidan.

Plan A
    1. pick Li Li
    2. Use Blind when he dives
    3. Let the rest of the team worry about actually blowing him up

Plan B
    1. pick ETC
    2. Power Slide -> Mosh Pit
    3. Let the rest of the team worry about actually blowing him up

...actually, those are basically my plans against everybody, now that I think about it. :P

Plan THE BEST:
    1. Pick Brightwang 8-)
    2. ???
    3. Win the game

There's also Plan THE ALTERNATIVE:
    1. Pick Illidan YOURSELF.
    2. Be the very best, like no one ever was.
    3. Revel in the adorations of your teammates at how swole you are with Illidan. Skillidan. Thrillidan.

THRILLHOUSE

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    They need to do something with Team League. Right now there's no incentive to play if your team is in the 35-50 rank range. You're just gonna get matched against a rank 1 team and demolished.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    They need to do something with Team League. Right now there's no incentive to play if your team is in the 35-50 rank range. You're just gonna get matched against a rank 1 team and demolished.

That would indicate the problem is not enough teams.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    So that 7 day stim pack? Somehow I have 14 days.

Not complaining, but weird.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    So that 7 day stim pack? Somehow I have 14 days.

Not complaining, but weird.
    Mine is 21 days...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    [quote="Bobkins Flymo;32620718"And probably some kind of very underwhelming reward for League play will be added to the game. Like...probably a portrait each month for getting Rank 40 or something.
    [/quote]

i am curious about this. i mean if the imaginary ladder grind/fun of playing the game doesn't incentivize people to what, what will exactly? hopefully there will be some sort of in client tournament structure (they did it in WC3, not sure about SC2), but beyond portraits and other cosmetics there isn't much else that i can think of. at least not anything that would be worth handing out and not monetized.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

That would indicate the problem is not enough teams.

This loops back to the original problem, though. What incentive is there to make a team and play Team League in the first place? Not really much, aside from doing it for the sake of doing it. So there's not enough teams because there's no incentive to play Team League.

They need to make a leaderboard system. Just straight up. People LOVE leaderboards. It breeds competition. Team League is supposed to be that ultra competitive experience, and yet it's pretty much a wash. They need to take a page out of Hearthstone's book and just make "Legend" ranks or whatever, past Rank 1. For the long haul, attaching these "Legend" ranks to getting HWC points for Blizzcon or w/e would help too.

I said it before, but Hero League and Team League, as they are right now, are placeholder. They were slapped into the game for the sake of having them. They're both incredibly rough and need polishing out, but who knows when that'll happen.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I want to play Team League :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Someone was asking me this weekend what was the point of team league if you can queue 5 for hero league. There isn't really. No incentives at all. Hell is there any real incentive to rank? Right now the only reason to play Hero League at all is getting to see which map you're gonna get and the draft structure.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I mean, does any game have incentive to rank? It's just to track your progress and make yourself feel better about your play when you advance. The only ranks that matter in Hearthstone in terms of 'returns' are 20 for the card back and top 16 legend for Blizzcon, which I think is fair to say most people aren't really shooting for. Is there some extra incentive to being Challenger in League, or whatever the high rank in starcraft is? Afaik it's just that you play against other highly-ranked players, and you have some credible source to point to to prove that you're good at videogames.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I just like the idea of having a single team that has a shared rank, practices together, etc.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm just happy that Roller Derby Nova is finally going on sale next week. Been waiting for awhile to get that one.

I wonder if they'll do a bonus XP week for the launch.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

heh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    There's like three mounts flagged for June 2nd that you unlock by playing WoW, Hearthstone, and buying stuff in the shop.

Is this a different mount from Wonder Billy?

Also I could really see them go either way on a free XP thing for launch. But it would certainly be a easy thing to do that requires no real extra effort on their part (other than maybe some promo graphics) and launch is certainly an occasion worthy of an XP weekend :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Dat feel when the xp meter of a character (you may or may not hate...) stops one pixel from dinging lvl 5.

• Options
    There's like three mounts flagged for June 2nd that you unlock by playing WoW, Hearthstone, and buying stuff in the shop.

Yeah - upon launch it is Illidan's Charger.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

heh.

They've done, what, 2 or 3 just for "funsies" XP bonus weeks since closed beta launched? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

• Options

Ah cool. Retroactive or do you have to buy something post-launch?

• Options

Ah cool. Retroactive or do you have to buy something post-launch?

Hmm... good question.

I would assume buy something post launch since they're giving us the Wonder Billie up through the end of open beta.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Idea: Introduce a new mount every few months you can only get by buying something from the store during it's availability window.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Those are some great tips guys... thank you!

Gotta put some work in now and get some wins!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Still longing for that Abathur free week, then I'll have all but only the newly released hero (soon to be heroes) to level 6+ for the gold/portrait. I have now been playing the game for 5 months.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Abathur was three-four weeks ago, wasn't he?

• Options
    0H6HXIP.png?1
    Okay so Murderdin is pretty great. I took GIVE EM THE AXE that game since we had a Jaina. I had grown-ass man autoattacks, they were hitting for ~350 or so. It was fantastic. I'm honestly surprised I did that much damage with him though, jeeeezus.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Wow team with Illidan, Jaina, Valla, and me as Sylvanus. Thats... gonna be some damage

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So, my computer isn't the best so I mostly just queue vs AI, since the demand isn't as heavy, but I played some QM and had a mostly good experience, so maybe I'll step out a little more.

Did get a rude guy for the first time in AI last night when I was trying Anub for the first time. Can other people see your level with a char? I didn't want to feed the troll, but it was my first time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Abathur was three-four weeks ago, wasn't he?

No.

Abathur hasn't been in the rotation since late 2014 I believe.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Was on Spider map

We wiped out the entire enemy team

We all decide to push core top lane

We start taking the core down

2 enemies respawn and my team starts fighting them
    we lose 2 guys (one was a bot) and it's me (azmodunk), nova, and valla left, the enemy is all dead

I'm still lazering the core, tanking the core fire
    nova and valla literally dance outside of core range not attacking it

I AM TANKING CORE HITS WHILE LAZER HEALS ME

nova and valla STILL DANCE AROUND NOT HITTING CORE AT ALL

the rest of the enemy spawns and kills me while nova and valla run away
    I left core at like 7%

I have no clue why they ran around for approx a whole minute not doing anything
    we lost the counter push

I tried not to rage... but.... ugh...
    :(

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Games like that are why it was such a good decision to not have chat after a match.

Tonight has mostly been games where its like the other team is premade and my side I question if human beings are actually at the computers playing. Then I got a close match that we won. Was worth it when it was that huge ass chunk of exp finally.

• Options
    I had a Rehgar facecheck bushes near boss when were were down three people and I literally said "Be careful, 2v5."

Some people aren't even players. They're like a merc that sometimes does more damage.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I don't knowing if I'd say tyrande is great, but cross map snipes feel amazing.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    So, my computer isn't the best so I mostly just queue vs AI, since the demand isn't as heavy, but I played some QM and had a mostly good experience, so maybe I'll step out a little more.

Did get a rude guy for the first time in AI last night when I was trying Anub for the first time. Can other people see your level with a char? I didn't want to feed the troll, but it was my first time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

you mean player/account level? i dont think so.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Just wasn't my night.

Went 1 for 4. *shrug*

There isn't much you can do when you get solo triple kill but your team can't do anything to follow up.

Did get my Nova champ portrait though. Need my Champ skin on her I think.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    My absolute least favorite thing is teams that once you lose a major fight, but staggered, continue to enter team fights before everyone is up.... or maybe even we are up but JUST spawned and cannot get over to them in the 1 second before they engage.

So its just like a conveyor belt feeder. And no one says a word. I mean christ I would like to hear at least some dude bitch it was my fault at that point. But the lemming like mindless march into the grinder with no emotion just STINGS.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    yeah it's one of the most common ways a game slips away, people just not respecting the respawn timers.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    My absolute least favorite thing is teams that once you lose a major fight, but staggered, continue to enter team fights before everyone is up.... or maybe even we are up but JUST spawned and cannot get over to them in the 1 second before they engage.

So its just like a conveyor belt feeder. And no one says a word. I mean christ I would like to hear at least some dude bitch it was my fault at that point. But the lemming like mindless march into the grinder with no emotion just STINGS.

It's so hard when they keep engaging 1 or 2v5 instead of backing off.... just stop feeding them! You're playing for the wrong team! They can't choke do death on more corpses! Just STAAAAAHP lol

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Gotta learn how to spam the V key
    spam it well

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Kai_San wrote: »

I will usually type something like "stay safe until we're all up" if it looks like people are going too crazy when we're waiting on res timers. Sometimes it works, and sometimes people think doing enemy merc camps is "safe".

Inq on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    So Stitches is free again this week. I think this might be the first time I've played him since his big nerf. Holy shit he feels like crap now. It seems like the only thing he has going for him at all is hook, and it's got a long cooldown so if you whiff it or if your team can't capitalize, you're basically just a shitty meat shield during the downtime.

I noticed his auto-attack damage felt anemic, so I went and checked out all the hero basic attack stats at heroesfire.com. Sure enough, his basic attack is a total joke. He has worse damage scaling than every hero except Abathur and Murky. Besides them, the only hero he does more auto attack damage than at level 20 is Tassadar, and just barely (Tassadar actually catches up a few levels later). Hell, Baelog and Erik alone each do more than he does at that point. I know a hero is more than their auto attack damage, but he is just such a ridiculous non-threat when it comes to damage output overall. Back when Diablo was considered shitty, they buffed his attack damage scaling quite a bit to help him out. Now that Stitches' abilities and talents have been crippled and he's pretty low on the Warrior totem pole, I think he needs the same treatment. Having the slowest attack in the game (.91) already sucks, but hitting like a Nerf bat is just insulting.