As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] Thread: Summer Sale is here! (Charity Drive post Pg.41+ Link at top of OP)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for an Epic Audiosurf Track, go download and ride this:
    http://www.carbohydrom.net/music/song/unsealed

Holy Hell, that was an experience.

I had to go look up the game. Any opinions on the "sequel"? Also, have you played Symphony?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I had to go look up the game. Any opinions on the "sequel"? Also, have you played Symphony?

Wow. Audiosurf is one of those Steam Sale $.99ers that I thought everyone had by now. I only played the sequel briefly at PAX a few years ago, the dev seemed like a very nice guy, but I don't purchase Early Access stuff on principle. Haven't played Symphony, but it looks nifty.

Beat Hazard is another fun "use your music" game to throw in the pile.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Also Humble Mobile bundle has a pretty good set of those casual Artifex Mundi Hidden Object/Puzzle games that also redeem on Steam for the most part.

Oh god, games from this dev are my ultimate guilty pleasure. Love these hidden object games (and the creaky voice acting). Had to snap this up.

Also here's a code for Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood:

Loading...?

Snagged this, thanks! Was playing a point and click item hunt on my Fire the other day but it seems to have lost my progress and was thinking a PC version-alike would be handy to slowly make my way through that hopefully wouldn't do that. Thanks again!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    During the Winter of early '14 when I hurt my back I had enough percocet, hydrocodone, and Ambien to kill a lesser man, and was basically a space cadet for a couple of weeks.

Audiosurf was a life changing experience, let me tell you.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Don't play Beat Hazard if you're prone to seizures. Or even if you're not. Beat Hazard could be a fun game, I don't know, I couldn't tell through the unrelenting cacophony of colors lights and explosions. It's almost entirely unplayable with most songs.

• Options

Wow. Audiosurf is one of those Steam Sale $.99ers that I thought everyone had by now. I only played the sequel briefly at PAX a few years ago, the dev seemed like a very nice guy, but I don't purchase Early Access stuff on principle. Haven't played Symphony, but it looks nifty.

I got Symphony in a bundle. I've never really even looked at Auidosurf, though I'm terribad at beat games, which I'm under the impression that is. What I like about Symphony is that it gives waves of enemies (and differing types, depending on how many bosses you've taken out) dependent on different criteria in the song, and speeds up or slows down dependent on the overall intensity of the song. Each song also gives an item to either equip to your ship or pick up on the battlefield, and playing more songs gets you the two currency types needed to buy and upgrade the items in question.

For reference, Dragonforce songs are, so far, the hardest songs I've played on any difficulty.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You guys want trippy games? Polynomial. You're welcome.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    You guys want trippy games? Polynomial. You're welcome.

Two dimensions are quite enough to get blown up in. I don't need to add a third dimension to "trippy music electric light show" to know my music can hand me my ass if it wants to. :wink:

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I came this goddamn close to completing Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on ninja mono back in the day - I think it may have been during one of our first fundraising shindigs. But I hit one grey cube sadly, so countless orphans were put to the sword :sad:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/057/1057132/

Resident Evil Zero HD officially announced. This is the prequel one that was done in the REmake Gamecube style starring Rebecca.

It's coming to pretty much everything, barring Wii U. Early 2016 target date.

Still waiting on that RE2 remake, but this is still good. Also the logical next step for a remake considering that the RE:make was on GameCube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EualP3JW7tg

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    Huh, I just achieved the ancient member badge.

In other news fuck yeah D4 coming to Steam

Diablo 4?
    Descent 4?
    Doom 4?
    Daikatana 4?

The sequel to the sequel to critically-acclamed Dreamcast survival horror game "D2"
    I mean, that WOULD actually own, since D2 was ridiculous. Granted, Kenji Eno passed away, so that would never happen.

Cripes, I had to look that up and the poor guy died at 42.

I turn 42 on the 21st of next month, so, well, sense of impending mortality, check. I need to go hide under the blankets for a month now.

I should play Enemy Zero, I've only owned it for the better part of 20 years. I wonder how SSF handles it?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhe1JeM96EA

I could have sworn there was a yellow one with the entire book.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/057/1057132/

Resident Evil Zero HD officially announced. This is the prequel one that was done in the REmake Gamecube style starring Rebecca.

It's coming to pretty much everything, barring Wii U. Early 2016 target date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxFeCpgdJvk

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

I got Symphony in a bundle. I've never really even looked at Auidosurf, though I'm terribad at beat games, which I'm under the impression that is. What I like about Symphony is that it gives waves of enemies (and differing types, depending on how many bosses you've taken out) dependent on different criteria in the song, and speeds up or slows down dependent on the overall intensity of the song. Each song also gives an item to either equip to your ship or pick up on the battlefield, and playing more songs gets you the two currency types needed to buy and upgrade the items in question.

For reference, Dragonforce songs are, so far, the hardest songs I've played on any difficulty.

This sounds so cool, but one thing i was wondering. When you say it uses your music, and kinda matches the level to the song, that's stuff just in your computer, not like in the Steam folder, i guess? My Steam folder only lists soundtracks i've picked up through steam, is all...and to be honest, i can't even access the music section with the Skin i'm currently using.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

This sounds so cool, but one thing i was wondering. When you say it uses your music, and kinda matches the level to the song, that's stuff just in your computer, not like in the Steam folder, i guess? My Steam folder only lists soundtracks i've picked up through steam, is all...and to be honest, i can't even access the music section with the Skin i'm currently using.

Assuming it works like Audiosurf then yeah. You just tell it where to look for the music specifically on your PC somewhere.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

If you want to add other directories to Steam Music you just go into settings, look up the music tab and add the directories to the list. Steam will scan these directories and add all the audio files it finds to Steam Music.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Steam Music will be a lot more use to me once it supports AAC.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Audiosurf is awesome. The only reason I stopped playing it is my hard drive with all my music died years ago and I had never backed it up, and never bothered putting my music back onto my new hard drive because I discovered Spotify.

But if Audiosurf ever supported streaming (which would probably be very, very challenging I assume), I would still play the shit out of it.

• Options
    Also Adventure Team chat has split. Reconnect for chats.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Hot on the heels of finishing out my 96 hour playthrough of Xenonauts, I decided I needed a brief, palatte cleanser to follow. I settled on Lilly Looking Through, which at a full two hours of playtime, certainly fit the bill. It was lovely, although there's a lot of waiting for the little wheel to start spinning so you can see if the things in the environment you think you can interact with are actually interactable. The ending is incredibly sudden, and also maybe terrible? It feels like they had several more chapters in them and ran out of money or needed to ship quickly for some other reason. Maybe "terrible" is too strong, since the whole game has a pleasantly surreal feeling suffused throughout. Maybe "somewhat unsatisfying" would be better.

Anyway, fun little finishable game. Definitely a good pickup on sale or in a bundle. :)

Now, to take on Pillars of Eternity or to run through a few other shorter games before I give my life over to PoE?

I completely forgot to thank @Pixelated Pixie for giving me Lilly Looking Through way back in her @Luchaire days (2013 - geez!). Thanks, Pixie! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Audiosurf isn't really a beat game, in my opinion. At first glance it looks sort of like Guitar Hero, but the "beats" you have to fly your ship through aren't necessarily with the rhythm of the song. In a way, it's sort of a music game that uses match-3 gameplay. When you touch a block, it gets dropped into the grid below you. When you match 3 or more of the same color, they disappear and you get points.

There are a few modes, and I personally prefer mono mode which makes it so only gray and color blocks appear. In that mode you don't have to think too hard about which blocks to touch. You just avoid gray blocks and touch the color blocks.

It does have controller support, although I personally prefer to play with just a mouse. There's a demo available, and that should give you a good idea of whether you'd like the game or not. It's definitely not for everyone!

Apparently Audiosurf 2 comes out of early access today. That game didn't get very good buzz when it was first released, so I've been holding off on buying it.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Audiosurf also has a pretty decent visualizer mode if you're into that.

The downside is that it waits until the end of a current track to create the level for the next track (and flashes a bright screen inbetween songs while doing so). If it was capable of creating a the next level while the current level was still going and then transition between them smoothly it would be the perfect music visualizer to have on in the background. Having a bright light and a 3-4 second gap in between every song kinda sucks.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the replies w/r/t Symphony, y'all. It seems pretty keen and will go in my "look at until i have the money or a sale comes along" file.

i've always been shite at rhythm-type games, on account of not having any, but it'll be fun to suck at a rhythm game with Faith No More and Sleater Kinny.

[edit] Aaaannnd...i just bought it. *sigh* Fuck y'all, don't judge me (he says 3/4s in jest).

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the replies w/r/t Symphony, y'all. It seems pretty keen and will go in my "look at until i have the money or a sale comes along" file.

i've always been shite at rhythm-type games, on account of not having any, but it'll be fun to suck at a rhythm game with Faith No More and Sleater Kinny.

Keep an eye on bundles. It has been in at least a couple. It's also available for Android

Although further inspection shows it was on the Humble Store before but is no longer there.

EDIT: And nevermind :) Looks like you already got it.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    So apparently going to work today was more important than helping a heart broken Barron find his wife and daughter. Real life is fucked.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Audiosurf isn't really a beat game, in my opinion. At first glance it looks sort of like Guitar Hero, but the "beats" you have to fly your ship through aren't necessarily with the rhythm of the song. In a way, it's sort of a music game that uses match-3 gameplay. When you touch a block, it gets dropped into the grid below you. When you match 3 or more of the same color, they disappear and you get points.

There are a few modes, and I personally prefer mono mode which makes it so only gray and color blocks appear. In that mode you don't have to think too hard about which blocks to touch. You just avoid gray blocks and touch the color blocks.

It does have controller support, although I personally prefer to play with just a mouse. There's a demo available, and that should give you a good idea of whether you'd like the game or not. It's definitely not for everyone!

Apparently Audiosurf 2 comes out of early access today. That game didn't get very good buzz when it was first released, so I've been holding off on buying it.

I dunno, I bought Audiosurf 2 back when it first went up for Early Access and I enjoyed it. It was obviously unfinished and needed more stuff added to it but what was there was very good. It's been nearly a year (last played 06/22/2014) since I played it so it's probably been added to and updated quite a lot since then. Plus there's going to be an update today when it releases so that'll be even more stuff added and changed. I'll check it out once it's officially released and get back!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind hearing impressions of the AS2 release. The first is one of those games that I love to hop in when I have a spare 15-30 minutes and just want to chill out with some sweet tunes.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I made the mistake of mentioning in chat how detailed The Witcher 3 world looks in the videos I've seen.

Then this popped up:

RZTd3La.png

@Big Classy, this is epic. And I'm not the only person he hit in chat with this. I don't even understand! But thank you so much! This game looks absolutely gorgeous.

EDIT: Also, in my defense, I'm watching vidyas because I'm at work and they would REALLY frown on my playing games.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I made the mistake of mentioning I finished a game, and answering some questions from Isy.

8qY7yGs.jpg

I have no words. Thanks so much @Big Classy! I will seduce women in your name!

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    @Big Classy is too dangerous to be friends with.

zLGnHsX.png?1

Way too dangerous.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    @Big classy just tried to gift me witcher 3 as well. I already have it on GOG, so I declined though. But thanks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Another crazy @Big Classy morning?

Must be an even-numbered day.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of mentioning in chat how detailed The Witcher 3 world looks in the videos I've seen.
    And I'm not the only person he hit in chat with this.
    Clearly the true mistake was joining chat in the first place. :P

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I got Mercenary Kings working this morning by putting -windowed in the launch options. Hooray, no more blue screens of death. Boo to not being able to play in fullscreen, though.

Seems like a neat game so far.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think we need a new button down there with Agree and such.

Steam Terrorist

Bigity on
  • Options
    2h0fAAq.jpg

Boop indeed.

Thanks @Big Classy, you mad man.

• Options
    And I'm not the only person he hit in chat with this.
    Clearly the true mistake was joining chat in the first place. :P

Being in the thread hasn't proved to be any safer in the past, either :)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I was going to say W3 is @Big Classy new FC3 but I already said that about him and JC3

so maybe W3 is the new JC3?

or maybe isy just likes the third game in series

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, right, that was why I stopped hanging in the Steam Thread.

That uncomfortable feeling of inadequacy I get when I see Thermonuclear Class Warfare.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Getting Stealth in Audiosurf playing Ninja Mono Mr. Brightside is one of my most satisfying gaming accomplishments.

This discussion has been closed.