As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] Thread: Summer Sale is here! (Charity Drive post Pg.41+ Link at top of OP)

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the replies w/r/t Symphony, y'all. It seems pretty keen and will go in my "look at until i have the money or a sale comes along" file.

i've always been shite at rhythm-type games, on account of not having any, but it'll be fun to suck at a rhythm game with Faith No More and Sleater Kinny.

EDIT: And nevermind :) Looks like you already got it.

Err...harumph...*sigh* yeah, i'm such a sucker.

First run thoughts:

+Not really a rhythm game, so much as a shooter/danmaku with a gimmick. For me, this is awesome sauce, as i said earler, i suck at rhythm games, but i love me some shooter/danmaku.
    +Everything is very pretty, but also relatively uncluttered, so it's not super-tough to keep track of what's going on.

-Game, i don't know where you're looking for my music, but i sure as hell don't have 8thousand and some songs on my comp. Actually, according to iTunes, i have 4,026songs...so, game, you need glasses.
    -Why do i need to download QuickTime? It's pretty janky, is all.
    -i understand there not being Japanese character support, but still, about half of my library shows up as a bunch of boxes, instead of hiragana/kanji, and that kinda blows.

*Did my first run through with Faith No More's Sol Invictus (which is (maybe) not their greatest album [that'd be King For a Day... for for awesome and nostalgia, or Angel Dust for just awesome]). i thought Cone of Shame was hard, but Motherfucker straight kicked my arse.

Also...buy Sol Invictus. Just buy all of FNM's stuff. They rock toast with a side of chili (Which was also this morning's breakfast).

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd hesitate to call most of the games that procedurally generate based on the music you feed them "rhythm games". There's elements that sync to the music, of course, but rarely are they acurate enough to require the user to input with any rhythmic regularity.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I made the mistake of mentioning in chat how detailed The Witcher 3 world looks in the videos I've seen.
    And I'm not the only person he hit in chat with this.
    Clearly the true mistake was joining chat in the first place. :P

Would that I could join chat at work. But no mobile group chat. Steam, get on that, wouldya?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of mentioning in chat how detailed The Witcher 3 world looks in the videos I've seen.

Would that I could join chat at work. But no mobile group chat. Steam, get on that, wouldya?

That is my biggest gripe with steam; mobile app is underwhelming.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh, right, that was why I stopped hanging in the Steam Thread.

That uncomfortable feeling of inadequacy I get when I see Thermonuclear Class Warfare.

You should go my route - let your system get just out of date enough that you can't run any of the big ticket games :) It also eliminates temptation from your spending as well!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd hesitate to call most of the games that procedurally generate based on the music you feed them "rhythm games". There's elements that sync to the music, of course, but rarely are they acurate enough to require the user to input with any rhythmic regularity.

I like that those games let the player choose the soundtrack and (to a lesser or greater degree, depending on the game) have their input in some way influenced by the music playing.

This discussion is kinda making me want to download Symphony again and play a few levels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, if I portrayed Symphony as a beat game, I'm sorry. It is very much a shoot em' up. And one of the few shmups that I can actually play with any degree of proficiency, probably because of the distinct lack of lives.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

A thousand times yes. The amount of time I spend on my phone at home or work is probably larger than on the desktop - but I can't use it for chat, and thus my aggravation is endless.

• Options
    So Hand of Fate has proven to be really fun. Has anyone else been playing it? The only thing I'll admit is that I've been skipping over much of the deck building and just letting the system build them for me with recommended cards. The action is fairly fun and I love the fact that I can play through a round or two in a pretty short gaming session and feel like I've accomplished something in the game.

Also, my Sims got married this weekend and I've now been playing for a few months and NOT cheated in Sims 4 to give myself more money to play pretty pretty dollhouse dress-up. That's a huge accomplishment for me.

While the scope of the game is smaller, the interactions between Sims and life stories are so much more fun. I love that my Sim can get into a mood of confidence or playful and want to hip bump everyone in sight or can upgrade her toilet to be self-cleaning or add a bidet. It really is much better at actually being a fun game than the prior games have been (at least for me).

Now if they could just give us hot tubs I'd be content.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Somehow, I missed a PM from @Iolo from Saturday. Thanks so much for LEGO LOTR!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

The mobile/web client would seriously benefit from some group chat and it's one of the many things I don't know why Valve haven't implemented. So what I end up doing is remoting into my home desktop just for the chat while I'm at work. I've also done it via Team Viewer on mobile but that's definitely not ideal.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    So Hand of Fate has proven to be really fun. Has anyone else been playing it? The only thing I'll admit is that I've been skipping over much of the deck building and just letting the system build them for me with recommended cards. The action is fairly fun and I love the fact that I can play through a round or two in a pretty short gaming session and feel like I've accomplished something in the game.

I got it in a bundle a while back and recently went back to try it out. I feel like the deckbuilding and combat mechanics are okay but what really makes it is getting taunted by a wizard continuously.

I do have an issue (which seems to be exclusive to me based on googling) where it drops frames during a card shuffle. This is the worst possible place to drop frames.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I play on PS4, but that's not just you. The shuffle animation there is a goddamn slide show.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    FYI: Magicka 2 is now unlocked/available :)

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Corsini wrote: »

I got it in a bundle a while back and recently went back to try it out. I feel like the deckbuilding and combat mechanics are okay but what really makes it is getting taunted by a wizard continuously.

I do have an issue (which seems to be exclusive to me based on googling) where it drops frames during a card shuffle. This is the worst possible place to drop frames.

I completely agree - there is something about the atmosphere of the wizard staring at you, commenting at the choices you make that really adds a ton to the game. My shuffling didn't seem bad, I'll have to pay attention the next time I play it.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Played so much Witcher 3 over the weekend. I love that game. Still keeping me up too late at night.
    Steam Battle is over with, and it feels a bit weird. Like I have something I should be doing, but I don't.

Yeah there's no browser based group chat either is there? That'd be a nice distraction during the day.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »
    Also, repost for the new thread.
    jclast wrote:
    I turned my whole crew into skeletons (sorry about that, but at least my #1 Captain mug survived!)
    Now you can be a skeleton, too!

signature.png[/url

Congrats to @Gear Girl! Check your email or log into Steamgifts. It claims it sent through their system so I'm not 100% certain how it gets to you. Enjoy!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Also, repost for the new thread.
    jclast wrote:
    I turned my whole crew into skeletons (sorry about that, but at least my #1 Captain mug survived!)
    Now you can be a skeleton, too!

signature.png[/url

Congrats to @Gear Girl! Check your email or log into Steamgifts. It claims it sent through their system so I'm not 100% certain how it gets to you. Enjoy!

Thanks jclass!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    My list of "I really need to focus on these games now" games is no longer a list. It's a spreadsheet. I mean, a backlog is one thing. But this was meant to be the shortlist...

I need to finish Witcher 2 so I can play Witcher 3. I need to finish Blackguards so I can play Blackguards 2. I need to get back to Pillars of Eternity. I'm at least halfway through The Evil Within and I really want to play the Juli Kidman DLCs. Far Cry 3 is taunting me from over there, with Far Cry 4 hiding behind its back. Etc.

Meanwhile, I have six MMOs installed.

I may have a problem.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    So i finished Remember Me last night. I know people here have recommended it, but I just didn't know how good it was. It's got one of the most original and unique plots and mechanics I've seen in a video game. If you have this in your backlog, I would recommend playing it sooner rather than later. It doesn't take long to finish either. Steam clocked me in at slightly over 12 hours. The gameplay is solid, and the game is also gorgeous. I am pleasantly surprised by how good the game is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »

I completely agree - there is something about the atmosphere of the wizard staring at you, commenting at the choices you make that really adds a ton to the game. My shuffling didn't seem bad, I'll have to pay attention the next time I play it.

I really like Hand of Fate. It's a recipe that produces a dish better than its component parts, if that makes sense. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at the Arkham style combat and I've hit a bit of a wall on, I think, the Queen of Plagues (third tier). I had her down to 1 health twice and died like a chump. It's a game that makes me wish I was better at reflexy games.

LiLo, I don't think the deck building requires a ton of attention, but it is worthwhile to swoop through before each level to make sure you have most of your unlockable cards included. The default builder is pretty good about putting in new gear, but often leaves new encounters you that you haven't gotten the coin for yet in your sideboard. It only takes a couple of minutes to add those and pull out a few old ones (e.g. fuck you needy priest, I don't want to give you half of my food again!)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    So i finished Remember Me last night. I know people here have recommended it, but I just didn't know how good it was. It's got one of the most original and unique plots and mechanics I've seen in a video game. If you have this in your backlog, I would recommend playing it sooner rather than later. It doesn't take long to finish either. Steam clocked me in at slightly over 12 hours. The gameplay is solid, and the game is also gorgeous. I am pleasantly surprised by how good the game is.

you could say , you didn't remember how good it was.

ill show myself out now

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »

@Talus9952 - have you played Life is Strange yet? Same devs. Similar sort of rewind mechanic. Gorgeous art. Great story. No annoying platforming.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I think I get confused easily, I never recognize people when they change their avatars. Or at least it takes a while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Heads up for any of this years Steam Battle players, I threw a few Steam Gifts giveaways up in the battle thread open to the group.
    Just cleaning out the leftovers. Hopefully they each get at least one signup. They run till Friday.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Just a quick question, so I went to the can I run it site to see if my laptop could run Shadow of Mordor and it said that I couldn't really. Well, I bought it anyway and yes it turns out that my machine ran it just fine! Great in fact! I'm currently playing Witcher 2 in anticipation of the new one but I am wondering, considering that I can run both of the previously mentioned games just fine, does the thread think that Witcher 3 would be playable on my system? Sorry I don't have the actual specs at the moment. I know it's hard to say but, I will accept gut feelings here.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Just a quick question, so I went to the can I run it site to see if my laptop could run Shadow of Mordor and it said that I couldn't really. Well, I bought it anyway and yes it turns out that my machine ran it just fine! Great in fact! I'm currently playing Witcher 2 in anticipation of the new one but I am wondering, considering that I can run both of the previously mentioned games just fine, does the thread think that Witcher 3 would be playable on my system? Sorry I don't have the actual specs at the moment. I know it's hard to say but, I will accept gut feelings here.

Out of curiosity, what requirements did it say you didn't meet? It used to tell me my laptop wasn't good enough for all sorts of games but it was because of the Vertex Shaders or something like that, even though it said I had a higher number than it said were required.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    I think I get confused easily, I never recognize people when they change their avatars. Or at least it takes a while.

Thanks for the reminder! I had completely forgotten to change out of my pink uniform.

Embarrasing.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what requirements did it say you didn't meet? It used to tell me my laptop wasn't good enough for all sorts of games but it was because of the Vertex Shaders or something like that, even though it said I had a higher number than it said were required.

I don't remember! I'll run it again and pay closer attention.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    How To Recognize Your Steam Addiction Tip #456: You find a minor and likely temporary bug removing prices from wishlists substantially disconcerting.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Oh Steam, how did you know I've been yearning to create my own Manga?

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    f3rret wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder! I had completely forgotten to change out of my pink uniform.

Embarrasing.

/twitch

I... fail to see a problem with that...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    How To Recognize Your Steam addiction Tip #456: You find a minor and likely temporary bug removing prices from wishlists substantially disconcerting.

Is 456 the number of titles you own on Steam?

• Options
    How To Recognize Your Steam Addiction Tip #456: You find a minor and likely temporary bug removing prices from wishlists substantially disconcerting.

How To Recognize Your Steam Addiction Tip #202: You know just how risky it is to talk about the size of your collection in thread or chat.

:wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle this week is...different. In a way I will not spoil but you will have never once imagined.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Humble Bundle this week is...different. In a way I will not spoil but you will have never once imagined.

Hint:
    it's not for PC games.
    Which is really less a hint, and more of an outright telling of what it is.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Well, bye-bye $10, it was nice knowing you.

• Options
    edited May 2015

I'm not above spoiling stuff.

$1 Tier
    Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition (WiiU)
    Woah Dave! (3DS)
    Might Switch Force (3DS)

$10
    Stealth Inc 2 (WiiU)
    SteamWorld Dig (WiiU & 3DS)

BTA
    The Fall (WiiU)
    OlliOlli (3DS)
    Moon Chronicles (3DS)
    more TBA later

I'm tempted by Mighty Switch Force and don't have a WiiU so I won't be beating the average for The Fall. And I don't think I know a single person with a WiiU; it seems criminal to let a Guacamelee code go to waste like that.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

How To Recognize Your Steam Addiction Tip #202: You know just how risky it is to talk about the size of your collection in thread or chat.

Wouldn't that second one technically be Steam Thread Addiction Tip #---?

I guess the first one could also be framed that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Wouldn't that second one technically be Steam Thread Addiction Tip #---?

I guess the first one could also be framed that way.

First Rule of Steam Thread: You do not talk about your Library.
    Second Rule of Steam Thread: You do not talk about your Library.

This discussion has been closed.