Options

[steam] Thread: Summer Sale is here! (Charity Drive post Pg.41+ Link at top of OP)

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I have the two previous Witcher games and haven't played them yet so I'm immune to Witcher 3 desire.

Arkham Knight on the other hand might get my birthday moneys.

No one is immune. Its like saying you're immune to skyrim desire

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If not immune i'm at least resistant to the strain. If an open world game has a terrible protagonist then i'm free from the compulsion. Antibodies that react to Geralts of Rivia.

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Complete the first Witcher some time ago and in between upgrades on the old PC, managed to lose my saves.
    Started the second Witcher sans import due to that and only now because I totally lost track of time prior to Wild Hunt coming out. Playing now when I can.

Best part about playing Witcher? The wife running around yelling "MILFgaard" every time someone in the game mentions Nilfgaard.

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I have the two previous Witcher games and haven't played them yet so I'm immune to Witcher 3 desire.

I'm immune to Witcher 3 desire. I don't want Witcher 3, even if I got it for free. Mostly because I played Witcher 2 for about forty five minutes, went "these controls are bloody annoying", and never touched it again. See, I came into it right after Dark Souls, and after Dark Souls' precise, deliberate movements, Witcher 2 was just annoying.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    @akajaybay decided he wasn't classy enough, so he sent me a code for:

header.jpg?t=1400855981

Muffin Knight!

Muffins! Muffins! Muffins!

Thanks again man, not only for all the fabulous prizes, but for running the amazing game as well!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Houn wrote: »
    I am your evil opposite.

I am super hype for Witcher 3, but am morally obligated to play them now so I can buy it. I have no interest in Arkham Knight because, in my opinion, Asylum was the best Batvania ever and City, while good, traded that for being GTA: Batmans, and I just don't care for the change in direction.

I care about both, but am not caught up with either franchise, thus until I am caught up on both, neither earns a spot near the top of the heap, no matter how much I might want either.

In fact, I made myself a "series checklist" that I aim to complete and, barring something amazing in the Summer Sale, it's probably my go-to list for what to play for a good while henceforth.
    Drascin wrote: »

I'm immune to Witcher 3 desire. I don't want Witcher 3, even if I got it for free. Mostly because I played Witcher 2 for about forty five minutes, went "these controls are bloody annoying", and never touched it again. See, I came into it right after Dark Souls, and after Dark Souls' precise, deliberate movements, Witcher 2 was just annoying.

I find Dark Souls to be like playing a character wading through jam. That said, I still need to beat that one . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'd rather be doing Dark Souls' wading through jam than Witcher's trying to wrangle a drunken camel.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular

My method was/is spectacularly fail the tutorial battle and get set to easy. Bunch of guys running at you? Igni-X-X-X-X-Y-Y-X-X, yay I won. I'm enjoying the story enough that I don't really care right now about the combat so much.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

I haven't played it yet but my understanding is that Witcher 3's combat is quite good. Plus you can do this, which looks positively Dark Souls to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3t34emdkvk

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'd rather be doing Dark Souls' wading through jam than Witcher's trying to wrangle a drunken camel.

Yes, but you've already mentioned your less than charitable attitude towards Geralt, so I'd assume that would be so.

I don't feel the controls are bad at all, the lock-on's a bit sluggish to actually lock on, but past that, I like the battle system of W2 so far.

Different strokes and all that . . . :biggrin:

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    On the other hand, that new game 2K is teasing is apparently a new XCOM and oh god put it in my veins take all my money right noowwww

• Options
    Ok, so what the Can I Run It site seems to be missing is the fact that my laptop has a GeForce GT 630M in addition to the integrated graphics and it is not taking that into account when it runs the tests even though it can see that I have that hardware and lists it as video card number 2. It also tells me that my CPU is not up to snuff (2.7GHz vs 3.4 I think for Witcher 3?) It also told me CPU was not good enough for Shadow of Mordor but it runs smooth as butter. Obviously not at super high settings or anything but I'm not a graphics whore. So it seems like maybe I can run it? (Witcher 3)

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I love Witcher 3 but I'm gonna say what @Drascin didn't like about the way Geralt controlled is mostly still in effect. There's a certain lag to some of the movement that after a while you just get kind of good at accounting for. It's difficult to make minor movements at times without taking three steps forward instead by accident etc. It doesn't bother me that much and I just get used to it, but for people who are more in tune with that stuff it can drive them nuts.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So it's been awhile since I've been in a position where I have both the money and the internet connection to make use of steam. I haven't been keeping up with the gaming scene as much as I would like. I'd really like to put together a list of great games that aren't AAA titles, since the big titles can not only chew through the limited amount of money, I'm allowing myself to spend on games, but also quickly fill up my laptop's hard drive and force me to have uninstall games not being played (my first purchase of the year, reminded me that 700 GBs, isn't that huge anymore). With that said, Degica is running a sale on some games, would any of those be worth picking up for someone that mostly enjoys RPGs, but can get enjoyment from quite a few genres?

• Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    haven't decided on it Arkham Knight will be a day one/pre order for me yet, nor have I decided if I want it on PS4 or PC, though leaning towards PC since my new computer is a lovely beast that will be able to run everything out in the next at least year or so on ultimate settings

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    So it's been awhile since I've been in a position where I have both the money and the internet connection to make use of steam. I haven't been keeping up with the gaming scene as much as I would like. I'd really like to put together a list of great games that aren't AAA titles, since the big titles can not only chew through the limited amount of money, I'm allowing myself to spend on games, but also quickly fill up my laptop's hard drive and force me to have uninstall games not being played (my first purchase of the year, reminded me that 700 GBs, isn't that huge anymore). With that said, Degica is running a sale on some games, would any of those be worth picking up for someone that mostly enjoys RPGs, but can get enjoyment from quite a few genres?

I own quite a few of those on sale, but haven't had time to dig into most of them. But... I have played Skyborn and can safely say that it is really very good and worth the price.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Just a quick question, so I went to the can I run it site to see if my laptop could run Shadow of Mordor and it said that I couldn't really. Well, I bought it anyway and yes it turns out that my machine ran it just fine! Great in fact! I'm currently playing Witcher 2 in anticipation of the new one but I am wondering, considering that I can run both of the previously mentioned games just fine, does the thread think that Witcher 3 would be playable on my system? Sorry I don't have the actual specs at the moment. I know it's hard to say but, I will accept gut feelings here.

Ah, a fellow laptop gamer. There's not a lot of us here, I don't think. (@Kalnaur ; not sure who else.) Join usss...

My laptop is under The Witcher 3's minimum spec for GPU, but exceeds it in others such as CPU and RAM. The game is absolutely playable dialled down a bit (mostly medium settings, high water because anything lower results in weirdness with boats, and high textures because all that needs is enough VRAM), and still looks awesome. I was playing it in 1600x900 but I've dropped it to 1280x720 as of that resolution's inclusion in the most recent patch to keep the framerate at a steady 30; it was dipping lower a bit at 1600x900. It still drops frames here and there but it's definitely happier now.

Gut feeling is that if you can run SoM "just fine! Great in fact!", as you say, you'll be okay. TW3 has plenty of tweakable settings.

Oh hey, a new post!...
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Ok, so what the Can I Run It site seems to be missing is the fact that my laptop has a GeForce GT 630M in addition to the integrated graphics and it is not taking that into account when it runs the tests even though it can see that I have that hardware and lists it as video card number 2. It also tells me that my CPU is not up to snuff (2.7GHz vs 3.4 I think for Witcher 3?) It also told me CPU was not good enough for Shadow of Mordor but it runs smooth as butter. Obviously not at super high settings or anything but I'm not a graphics whore. So it seems like maybe I can run it? (Witcher 3)

Given how TW3 runs on my Radeon HD 6990M, and this comparison of our two cards, I'm going to add a HUGE "caveat emptor" to my recommendation. I really hope it's not needed, but I admit my heart sank for you a bit when I saw the "3" in 630M. That doesn't suggest a card with much grunt. But, you know, I'll absolutely take you at your word with SoM, so I really don't know...

I haven't yet played SoM (backlog, natch) so I can't give you a direct comparison on how that would run on my machine, which would've helped. Sorry.

Fingers crossed for you, I hope TW3 plays okay because it's a brilliant game.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I'll say this much about Witchers 2 and 3. Both had somewhat janky movement, but 2 had suspect hit detection and poor-to-nonexistent explanation of its core mechanics that led to me dying many, many times. 3, so far, has avoided this problem: combat is much smoother, more responsive, better explained from the onset, with more reasonable odds out the starting gate, and more sophisticated enemy engagement. It's rare when I'm simply swarmed by dudes and I die without knowing how I was supposed to dodge; usually it's instead because I made some obvious mistake, like pressing the attack and failing to block the enemy's counter, or ignoring flanking enemies.

There are still things that you can do before the game teaches you how to do them - it's possible to fight on your horse, for instance, and also very practical so long as horsey doesn't get too scared - but so far I've been pleasantly surprised with Witcher 3's combat. Still in the opening prologue area, but we'll see if they pull a Kayran fight or something once I get to the game proper.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    destroyah87_IronBrigade.png

Gift Artillery has been precisely lobbed by the aptly named @destroyah87. Thank you!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I got to a fistfight in Witcher 2 and very nearly threw my controller out the window and swore off video games forever.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @cardboard delusions sends a random gift my way.
    7x0v8g0z938i.jpg
    I'm not 100% certain I agree with his logic here. But thank you!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I got to a fistfight in Witcher 2 and very nearly threw my controller out the window and swore off video games forever.

Yeah, TW2 basically has an inverse difficulty curve; hard (often for the wrong reasons) up through chapter 1 and early chapter 2, then laughably easy, particularly once you unlock group finishers and get your own personal "I Win" button. I thought the plot was worth sticking it out, but I can totally understand people being too frustrated to bother. Instant death QTEs were hot bullshit even for 2011.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options

The one in the jail? I figured it out eventually and it was fine. My biggest gripe so far has been inventory management. I am actually willing to put up with quite a bit of jank though it seems.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Magicka 2 is super fun. I own Magicka 1 but didn't play it that much because I bought it WAAAY after everyone was done with it. More people need to play Magicka 2 so we can cause Mayhem.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Anyone knows how's Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds with the keyboard?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Magicka 2 is super fun. I own Magicka 1 but didn't play it that much because I bought it WAAAY after everyone was done with it. More people need to play Magicka 2 so we can cause Mayhem.

Can you still douse people in oil, set them on fire then drench them in water? That's all I ever did in Magicka, over and over again, and no I was never bored :lol: If I felt like mixing it up I'd give surround them in healing mines

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Can you still douse people in oil, set them on fire then drench them in water? That's all I ever did in Magicka, over and over again, and no I was never bored :lol: If I felt like mixing it up I'd give surround them in healing mines

Healing mines with plenty of knockback.

• Options
    I use mouse/keyboard so no lockon. Maybe that is the problem you guys had?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

I don't know, probably lol

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Huh, they finally fixed Trenched/Iron Brigade, they released that Blade Kitten DLC all these years later....

Something to be said for patience, I guess.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

Step One: Easy mode
    Step Two: turn off "Difficult QTEs".
    Step Three: thrash all the fistfights.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm doing a runthrough of 1-2 for the import, and I've already decided to turn off the QTEs.

Far as I know it isn't going to affect the import, and fuck QTEs in general.

• Options
    Oh, and *ahem* fuck yeah, final form demon from Symphony down! That's another one for the done pile.

It was hiding in Bush - The People That We Love, for me. God, that song is my bane now, but I have conquered it!

On to something else, maybe after dinner? God it feels good to put that bastard down.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I liked that when Trenched had to be renamed, the replacement title Iron Brigade was a straight-up pisstake on Steel Battalion.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not immune to Witcher 3 hype. It looks boss AF.

Witchers 1 and 2 are sitting in my backlog, mocking me.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, The Witcher 3 looks great, but like Dark Souls 2, I'm not really interested in it until I get around to playing the preceding game.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm doing a runthrough of 1-2 for the import, and I've already decided to turn off the QTEs.

Far as I know it isn't going to affect the import, and fuck QTEs in general.

Note, it doesn't turn them off. It just makes them easier.

• Options
    People have problems with the QTE's in the witcher?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Them bunnies are tricky with their traps. Thanks @Berylline for Oceanhorn, a gorgeous looking game with a bunch of Zelda inspired elements, should be great fun! <3

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    People have problems with the QTE's in the witcher?

People have problems with QTEs.

This discussion has been closed.