As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Claimants to the [chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Morning, all

I need some help with psych stuff re: depersonalization if anyone has any experience

I am vaguely familiar with it, I feel that way rather often. Do you chronic depersonalization or just more episodic?

googles

growing up when I would frequently feel like my...soul...had left my body and I had to stop and...remember...who I was. is that what this is? although it mostly went away in my 20s

(soul and remember are used as approximations cuz I can't think of better words to capture the experience)

I think so? Im not an expert by any means, but I get like that when my anxiety levels get too high.

@atomika I once wrote to my wife about my experience and coping with something that may be this? idk if it will help, but I found the email and copied the relevant bits in here. spoiled for personal and sappy.
    Some of the times I've "spaced out" it was a little different. I hope you don't think I'm being ridiculous here, but the best way I can describe it is I feel like my soul has momentarily left and re-entered my body. It's a very bewildering thing, and when I was young I found it quite terrifying. It's like I briefly forgot who I was, and I have to spend a few moments recollecting my identity. When I was younger it happened much more frequently, and I eventually came up with a reliable method for coping with it. It was sort of like a mantra, "My name is -. I am X years old. My brothers are -and -."

The reason I bring all this weird stuff up, is that sometime after we started dating (I'm not sure exactly when), I added you to the list. "My name is -. I am X years old. My brothers are -and -. My girlfriend is -." But then, as I mentioned before, it started happening a lot less frequently, to the point where I can't really remember the last time it has happened. And while I don't really know the reason, (whether something has changed in my brain chemistry, or what) I think it's because, well, to quote Dory from Finding Nemo: "I look at you, and I'm home."

Thank you -. Thank you for being my home.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    what if there was a magic button that tagged SKFM's house each time you pushed it

how long until it looked like this

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7200/6837752012_66c2c09e6c_b.jpg

The worst part is it apparantly removes an entire story from the house. And you said graffiti wasn't harmful.

no this is the house you live after i've used the other button to donate all of your money to marijuana legalization

Unfortunately for you, there was a button that turned all the marijuana into copies of atlas shrugged and I already pressed it.
    Time for a good ole fashioned book burning.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    what if there was a magic button that tagged SKFM's house each time you pushed it

The worst part is it apparantly removes an entire story from the house. And you said graffiti wasn't harmful.

no this is the house you live after i've used the other button to donate all of your money to marijuana legalization

Unfortunately for you, there was a button that turned all the marijuana into copies of atlas shrugged and I already pressed it.
    Time for a good ole fashioned book burning.

are the pages still made of reefer cuz if so

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Morning, all

I need some help with psych stuff re: depersonalization if anyone has any experience

I am vaguely familiar with it, I feel that way rather often. Do you chronic depersonalization or just more episodic?

googles

growing up when I would frequently feel like my...soul...had left my body and I had to stop and...remember...who I was. is that what this is? although it mostly went away in my 20s

(soul and remember are used as approximations cuz I can't think of better words to capture the experience)

I think so? Im not an expert by any means, but I get like that when my anxiety levels get too high.

atomika I once wrote to my wife about my experience and coping with something that may be this? idk if it will help, but I found the email and copied the relevant bits in here. spoiled for personal and sappy.
    Some of the times I've "spaced out" it was a little different. I hope you don't think I'm being ridiculous here, but the best way I can describe it is I feel like my soul has momentarily left and re-entered my body. It's a very bewildering thing, and when I was young I found it quite terrifying. It's like I briefly forgot who I was, and I have to spend a few moments recollecting my identity. When I was younger it happened much more frequently, and I eventually came up with a reliable method for coping with it. It was sort of like a mantra, "My name is -. I am X years old. My brothers are -and -."

The reason I bring all this weird stuff up, is that sometime after we started dating (I'm not sure exactly when), I added you to the list. "My name is -. I am X years old. My brothers are -and -. My girlfriend is -." But then, as I mentioned before, it started happening a lot less frequently, to the point where I can't really remember the last time it has happened. And while I don't really know the reason, (whether something has changed in my brain chemistry, or what) I think it's because, well, to quote Dory from Finding Nemo: "I look at you, and I'm home."

Sure is dusty in here

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    How do I wordsmith "respond to my email or suffer my infinite wrath" into a business-appropriate message?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Morning, all

I am vaguely familiar with it, I feel that way rather often. Do you mean chronic depersonalization or just more episodic?

I guess I would describe it as situational? Basically, bad stuff has been going on and not improving for so long that I don't feel like I live in reality anymore.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Good point, I forgot about that. However, I just found a new magic button that tattoos your face each time I press it. This is what you look like now.

article-0-1E5D75D200000578-116_470x423.jpg

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    hmm, I have rented a car....

now maybe I will buy a grill

• Options
    Morning, all

googles

@atomika I once wrote to my wife about my experience and coping with something that may be this? idk if it will help, but I found the email and copied the relevant bits in here. spoiled for personal and sappy.

To use those terms, I don't feel at home anywhere or with anyone, including in my own body.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    How do I wordsmith "respond to my email or suffer my infinite wrath" into a business-appropriate message?

deadlines...scheduling concerns...this is a pressing business matter...

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    A reading, from the Book of Hypocrisy.

MKg75uE.png

And the Lord spaketh, "Doist as I sayeth, not as I doith."
    There should be no defense of him from anyone. What he did was evil and reprehensible. The fact that he is a great director doesn’t obscure the fact that he robbed a child of far more than Bernie Madoff stole from his victims. What has our culture become when people can commit despicable criminal acts and yet get defended and excused because they are celebrities.— Mike Huckabee, talking about Roman Polanski

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Morning, all

googles

atomika I once wrote to my wife about my experience and coping with something that may be this? idk if it will help, but I found the email and copied the relevant bits in here. spoiled for personal and sappy.

To use those terms, I don't feel at home anywhere or with anyone, including in my own body.

*hugs*

I imagine it's orders of magnitude more difficult for you with everything you have going on right now :(

• Options

Mark as high importance

Nothing like ! to spur someone into action

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

"Any updates?"
    And Cc their boss

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Good point, I forgot about that. However, I just found a new magic button that tattoos your face each time I press it. This is what you look like now.

I'm very pleased that "I'm rubber, you're glue" is in effect right now. Those tattoos are actually on your butt!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    and once again I ruin a perfectly good drawing with excessive shading after having already coloured it.

Markers are hard.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    There should be no defense of him from anyone. What he did was evil and reprehensible. The fact that he is a great director doesn’t obscure the fact that he robbed a child of far more than Bernie Madoff stole from his victims. What has our culture become when people can commit despicable criminal acts and yet get defended and excused because they are celebrities.— Mike Huckabee, talking about Roman Polanski

Is there a reason he had to drop Bernie Madoff into the conversation?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    xocjzzjuxo3f.jpg
    And here is au naturale picture. This is the actual real time lighting of the scene.
    TECHNOLOGY
    MAGIC
    WHATS THE DIFFERENCE

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Stick a read receipt on it.

That's business for "I will fuck up your world if you don't respond".

BSoB on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Mark as high importance

Nothing like ! to spur someone into action

For a while I had an outlook rule that automatically deleted any mails marked as high.
    God i hate that feature.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Morning, all

I am vaguely familiar with it, I feel that way rather often. Do you mean chronic depersonalization or just more episodic?

I guess I would describe it as situational? Basically, bad stuff has been going on and not improving for so long that I don't feel like I live in reality anymore.

I think that can be a natural reaction to hard times. Almost like a defense mechanism in a sense. It sounds like as your situation improves,so will that feeling. I think there are also some medications that are usd to trwat it, in case it doesn't go away.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I'm very pleased that "I'm rubber, you're glue" is in effect right now. Those tattoos are actually on your butt!

but it's opposit day

so i'm rubber you're glue isn't in effect today

you might want to look in a mirror

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "In the interest of promoting proactive synergy you fucks better actualize some stratagems or whatever the fuck after reading this email lest you suffer my wrath which is ever-burning and terrible to behold"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

but it's opposit day

are you guys playing calvinball

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    guys.....

poo
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    It turns out that Vanguard's face is SKFM's butt and vice versa.
    They're the same people living in mirrored worlds.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    It turns out that Vanguard's face is SKFM's butt and vice versa.
    They're the same people living in mirrored worlds.

two sides of the same coin

yin and yang

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

but it's opposit day

If it's really opposite day, then you saying it isn't in effect means it IS in effect. So you, I definitely no not want to look at a curved, non-reflective surface.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    guys.....

Shaz.....

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Is there a reason he had to drop Bernie Madoff into the conversation?

"Hm, who's the richest guy I can think of who's in jail and didn't contribute to my campaign..."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I generally like a nice passive-agressive "A timely response would greatly speed implementation of this thing I'm e-mailing you about". Make it clear that whatever corporate goal or timetable is affected is entirely on their shoulders and they will be to blame if deadlines are missed.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My continued belief that mission statements are bullshit is reinforced with some of the current work I am doing.

Your "mission" and your "vision" are not making you more productive and produce way too little return for the man hours you pour into them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

but it's opposit day

If it's really opposite day, then you saying it isn't in effect means it IS in effect. So you, I definitely no not want to look at a curved, non-reflective surface.

If it really was opposite day I wouldn't have said, "It's opposite day," I would have said, "it isn't opposite day."

#rekt

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "Tick-tock, motherfucker"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Gentrifiers: Moving to Bed-Stuy

• Options
    read that in the Transformers voice

• Options
    Gentrifiers: Moving to Bed-Stuy

Translation (from not opposite day speak to opposite day speak)
    Poor people: continuing to live in Brooklyn Heights

• Options
    edited May 2015
    read that in the Transformers voice

Translation (from not opposite day speak to opposite day speak)
    no not read that in the voice of a truck that doesn't turn into anything

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

Stick a read receipt on it.

That's business for "I will fuck up your world if you don't respond".

Why on earth would anyone ever not disable read receipts

• Options
    Morning, all

googles

*hugs*

I imagine it's orders of magnitude more difficult for you with everything you have going on right now :(

I'm kind of in a rut, mostly mandated by babby care needs, but it means all the personal stuff I need to work on is getting left by the wayside and I feel like I'm living a life that isn't mine, and I don't see it getting any better any time soon, but I have no idea what to do to fix it.

This discussion has been closed.