As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Claimants to the [chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    britchat and graffitichat, all at once:

blogger-image--1517710965.jpg

Anarchy symbol and Tories is weird.

accelerationism prolly

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm not sour over Napoleon. I'm opposed to saying hmm maybe he wasn't so bad and did he really do anything that awful because the answer is clearly yes he was pretty awful.

Ok.

I am sour about the british making norway starve, though. It's another one in a long line of transgressions from 1066 until now.

You just wait until 2066. We'll have our comeuppance yet.

Norway still exists? I had no idea!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Personally I was offended by Mad Max as it suggests that the only reason to help oppressed women is having succumbed to madness.

Again, I haven't watched it yet but I think it's not simply helping women, it's helping women by going on a suicide mission.

I am talking nonsense though.

The real message is love conquers all.

the real message is
    max! you fucking moron! you turn right around and fuck charlize theron for the rest of your days right this instant, mister!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    dang it knitdan

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Personally I was offended by Mad Max as it suggests that the only reason to help oppressed women is having succumbed to madness.

Again, I haven't watched it yet but I think it's not simply helping women, it's helping women by going on a suicide mission.

Having watched the movie: Nope.

Having watched the movie: nope, to both

Does the both include me? Because I'd have to retort: nope.

:P

no to apo and em

I figured, just wanted to keep the nope train running

Choo choo

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    dang it knitdan

You had a fancy name for it so you win

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    The Air Force has certified SpaceX to fly Department of Defense payloads

Now, they currently have a capability problem that restricts them to only about 1/3 of the available payloads

But the Falcon Heavy, set to fly in the next year, should solve that problem quite handily

Anyway what I'm trying to say is this news has given me my latest and biggest SpaceX boner

when are we getting a moon base

We'll probably get an asteroid at a Lagrange point before we get a moon base

Whichever provides better resources for In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU), the latest acronym of importance in space exploration

For my part, I just want to express my continued support and appreciation and hope for the growth of the United States military-industrial complex

either's good with me

ISRU is all well and good but I'm not gonna be impressed impressed until we get some space infrastructure. IE permanent bases who do ISRU.

I feel like a fairly obvious long-term goal is to establish a moon- or asteroid-base for such purposes, certainly.

In general, launching out of an atmosphere sucks hard, and we should do everything we can to minimize how much stuff we need to get off of Earth to help facilitate our future space exploration

Until and unless we get a Space Elevator

But if we get one of those, the point will be moot because I'll be in space and I won't give a damn what you Earthbound folk think is your next step in space exploration

• Options
    may linty haunt your dreams

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The big secret to anarchist is they are all optimist.

One cannot believe in that system unless you believe people can better than they are.

The underlying reality in their mind is people are innately caring about others.

It is kind of cute.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    oh okay I take that back

may linty... meet a friendly dust bunny? idk

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    KYs2AcAl.jpg

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I will never forgive Norway for what they did to Scotland.

But then again, if they hadn't done what they done I'd be a ginger instead of an intelligent brunette, so maybe history is complex!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    but what if they are galtian anarchocaps, mazzyx

what then

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The FIFA case made me grin when I heard it this morning.

I want the whole damn thing revamped and probably the entire leadership arrested. But this is a start.

Thing is corrupt. It would fit perfectly in China or Russia.

i wonder whether they can't stick anything to Blatter, or they want to scare the underlings into testifying something hot

racketeering baby

it's awesome

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Who would you rather have dinner with? Any Rand's dog walker, or Margaret Thatcher's hairdresser?

If it helps you the meal would be tapas

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    but what if they are galtian anarchocaps, mazzyx

what then

They're libertarians in the more classic sense.

Still there is the underlying belief that, in this case the market, will produce more equitable results among the population than regulation or government.

Optimist. A weird deluded sort but still optimist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm not sour over Napoleon. I'm opposed to saying hmm maybe he wasn't so bad and did he really do anything that awful because the answer is clearly yes he was pretty awful.

Ok.

I am sour about the british making norway starve, though. It's another one in a long line of transgressions from 1066 until now.

You just wait until 2066. We'll have our comeuppance yet.

Norway still exists? I had no idea!

yeah we got ourselves our own king and everything

he married maud of wales, you might know her

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I assume everyone in england knows the royal family personally

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    22.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

One cannot believe in that system unless you believe people can better than they are.

The underlying reality in their mind is people are innately caring about others.

It is kind of cute.
    This ignores the incentives that motivate people.
    They think anarchy is some sort of Utopia.
    UtopiaForever_HERO-3_tcm20-1044552.jpg

But honestly the best case scenario is slab city. That is the best anarchists can possibly hope for. And it's kind of sad
    ratsnestLG.jpg

The worst and most likely are places like Somalia, or DRC that is truly anarchy with nobody in charge. This is what human nature without accountability actually is.

zepherin on
  • Options
    there's worse these days with the PUAs running around

I once lurked in a blog where a serial commenter (apparently seriously) advocated that The Good Life entailed a stateless society where men could challenge other men to single combat for possession of their women, as some kind of savannahesque genetic apotheosis

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I am currently conducting business with a dude who first name is super French and last name is a funny sound.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

I once lurked in a blog where a serial commenter (apparently seriously) advocated that The Good Life entailed a stateless society where men could challenge other men to single combat for possession of their women, as some kind of savannahesque genetic apotheosis

I imagine the Gor books have picked up a whole new fanbase.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    The Falcon Heavy hasn't flown yet, and I'm of mixed minds about how I feel about that.

For those of you wondering, the Falcon Heavy is basically a standard Falcon 9 launch vehicle (which I imagine needs no introduction from me, by this point) with two more Falcon 9 first stages strapped to either side of it

On launch, all three first stages (27 engines!) propel the vehicle, with the two side stages falling away first, then the central first stage, allowing the second stage (and 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc depending on payload) to continue on their way.

On one hand, while a test flight is of course necessary to ensure that the vehicle is sound, it's not as if the concept is so revolutionary that there's really any risk of things not going according to plan. Meanwhile, SpaceX continues development on the Falcon 9 vehicle, making it more efficient and powerful itself, capable of lifting larger payloads to more ambitious destinations all on its own. These developments will additionally affect how a Falcon Heavy performs, and so they may not want to launch one until they've stabilized their Falcon 9 design.

Additionally, until they establish their capability to reliably recover their first stages, they may be reluctant to launch three of them just to test a concept that, as I said earlier, really only needs to be tested as a matter of course.

That being said, I know they already have a number of payloads set for the Falcon Heavy, and I imagine this news from the Air Force has just lit a fire under their collective asses about needing the payload capability ASAP to secure as many of those sweet sweet Department of Defense contracts as possible.

For those wondering, 27 engines firing in unison is neither a record nor even particularly peculiar, thanks to how the Russians like to get most of their payloads into orbit. Soyuz launch vehicles, depending on how you count the engines, routinely ignite 32 engines on the launchpad.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

unf this phrasing

• Options

I am quite like a Savannah, for the record.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

It is kind of cute.

I daresay that strains of post-anarchism have more complex views of the human condition

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    22.jpg

Is this a star wars? she has a star wars helmet, and a star wars shine sword. yes definitely a star wars.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

unf this phrasing

yeah I had to take a moment

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    22.jpg

Is this a star wars? she has a star wars helmet, and a star wars shine sword. yes definitely a star wars.

the helmet isn't very star wars

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    it's too straightforward, too modern. Star wars designs are more idiosyncratic and purposefully avoid looking so polymerish.

But it's the perfect helmet for Destiny's sci fi camelot look.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    25.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

It is kind of cute.

I daresay that strains of post-anarchism have more complex views of the human condition
    We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune! We're taking turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting By a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major...

• Options
    25.jpg

That Titan looks shit hot

• Options

I imagine the Gor books have picked up a whole new fanbase.

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

It is kind of cute.

I would say theoretical and academic anarchism and post-anarchism probably do.

I would not say popular anarchism, especially of the sort that paints anarchy symbols on vote Tory graffiti, do.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    (back in the simpler times of 2008)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    25.jpg

it's the dude in the coat I've got the hots for

that helmet

look at how well that helmet is made

and the plain slightly-sleeker astronaut-ish bone white look of it compared to the dark coat, the red lining, the brocade down the side...

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    25.jpg

The in-game characters will never look that cool.

This discussion has been closed.