Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Man FF7 ain't my favorite FF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ufbn3peImw

But that main theme, man, that is good enough to buy an album for (the second Distant Worlds album is amazing, buy the MP3 version off Amazon or wherever)

I've been listening to this all night, and it's definitely the best of the Distant Worlds albums. But tough decisions! I could get the whole thing, but several of the orchestrations are very similar to the 20020222 concert. On the other hand, if I got individual tracks, I would definitely pick up Melodies of Life, Zanarkand, Dancing Mad, and Jenova. That's $4 right there. That Ronafure is a jaunty track that I like, even though I've never played FFXI, so throw that in too. And hey, the actual CD is only $12.95 on Amazon and is Prime-eligible...

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Xenoblade Chronicles continues to be amazing. I'm in that great sweet spot right now where I'm recognizing art styles and themes from other Xeno games but still seeing brand new stuff pop up.

Prison Island spoilers:
    The Fiora reveal was handled really well, even though I expected it. I like when stories kinda telegraph that stuff, but they do so in a way that when it happens you still feel good about it and not cheated or like it was cheap.

Zanza is definitely a bad dude, cause like the other characters said, there's no way a good guy just gets locked up in a gigantic floating prison island with the only key being the bloodline of the emperor. That giant was bad news.

Cant wait to see more of where this game is going. I feel like I'm about 40% of the way through the game? I can't decide if I want to 100% it or not.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Alright. Home sick today. Time to start FF13 over and see if I can beat it.

Okay, it's been a while, and Lebreau's outfit looks like she started getting ready for her office job and then said "Fuck that" and put her bikini on top of her dress shirt.

And left the heels and stockings on.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

Okay, it's been a while, and Lebreau's outfit looks like she started getting ready for her office job and then said "Fuck that" and put her bikini on top of her dress shirt.

Her job is literally bartending at waterfront property. Bizarre FF fashion aside, the top half winds up making the most sense. (and nobody in XIII-1 changes clothes ever)

I think it was a lake, and I can't remember if there was actual sand or not. Which of course would make the heels hopelessly stupid.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I think the bar had an actual floor.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    "The only thing I can confirm for Persona 5 is 2015.”

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/08/atlus-usa-interview/

I'm a bit skeptical at this point, but still hopeful.

Yes, they are stating that in 2015, they will announce the release date for Persona 5.

It will be Christmas 2017.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    That's one thing I really loved about X, and why I felt it was the only one deserving of a direct sequel

I loved all the secondary characters, like Maechen, Belgemine, Shelinda, Isaaru, Luzzu and Gatta, Lucil, Elma, Clasko, etc.

I wanted to see what was up with all of them (well, the remaining ones) after the events of X

I don't remember any of those people, and FFX is one of the only two Final Fantasy games I have ever played. The other? Final Fantasy VII.

And I remember Hojo, Rufus Shinra (and his dead dad), Biggs Wedge and Jessie, Marlene, Aeris's mum, Shera, and Reno and Rude (and their boss guy, what's his name, Sing?), the guy that controls Cait Sith (Reed?), Dyne...

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »

Her job is literally bartending at waterfront property. Bizarre FF fashion aside, the top half winds up making the most sense. (and nobody in XIII-1 changes clothes ever)

I think it was a lake, and I can't remember if there was actual sand or not. Which of course would make the heels hopelessly stupid.

The top half would make sense, if she didn't have the dress shirt on under the bikini.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Larlar
    That makes more sense than wearing a thong over your hotpants though
    Edit: Wait nvm

Peas on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Peas wrote: »
    That makes more sense than wearing a thong over your hotpants though

Superman does what he wants.

• Options
    Huh, I guess the special flag triggered without Emitai going down. So now the Golems are hitting him, too.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Hey FF14 people,

If I already have an account on the ps3 version, do I have to buy the pc version or can I just download the installer and resubscribe?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hey FF14 people,

If I already have an account on the ps3 version, do I have to buy the pc version or can I just download the installer and resubscribe?

Sadly you have to buy the PC version for a license, but your account stays the same.

Different clients.

PS3/PS4/PC and Steam are separate.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I believe you could also upgrade to the PS4 version for free, or did that promotion already pass?

• Options
    Nier 2
    Hey FF14 people,

Sadly you have to buy the PC version for a license, but your account stays the same.

Different clients.

Bummer.

Ah well, by the time I have the money to pay the sub again, I'll have the money to pick the game up anyway.

Will I get another free month?
    I believe you could also upgrade to the PS4 version for free, or did that promotion already pass?

I hated playing it on my ps3, or I'd check into that. Gotta have a keyboard and a desk to put it on for MMOs.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Hey FF14 people,

Different clients.

Bummer.

Ah well, by the time I have the money to pay the sub again, I'll have the money to pick the game up anyway.

I don't think so.

The PS4 version would let you use a Keyboard and Mouse, but the upgrade promotion is probably over.

Yukira on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    You get another free month if you buy a new copy for the same account, yeah. I play on PC and bought the PS3 special edition on sale just to get the bonus items and a free month.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Nier 2
    Hey FF14 people,

Different clients.

Bummer.

I hated playing it on my ps3, or I'd check into that. Gotta have a keyboard and a desk to put it on for MMOs.

Good thing the PS4 version of FF14 supports Keyboard and Mouse controls.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Nier 2
    Hey FF14 people,

Different clients.

Bummer.

Good thing the PS4 version of FF14 supports Keyboard and Mouse controls.

Yeah but my PS4 is hooked up to my TV, nowhere near my desk.

I tried the keyboard in my lap thing with the PS3 version and hated it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Other

confirm the promotion is over

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    How many SRPGs can you think of with stealth-missions? Like hiding from patrolling guards behind things. I can think of Wild Arms XF. If a guard ends his turn with line of sight to one of your units, it's game over.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    PLA wrote: »
    How many SRPGs can you think of with stealth-missions? Like hiding from patrolling guards behind things. I can think of Wild Arms XF. If a guard ends his turn with line of sight to one of your units, it's game over.

Wild Arms XF was great.

As for your question, there's also Metal Gear Ac!d and Ac!d 2 and there's a couple stealth missions in the GBA entries in Nintendo's Wars series,

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Other
    PLA wrote: »

I believe one of the GC fire emblems had it

• Options
    Nier 2
    Javen wrote: »
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

You mean you haven't played Triple Triad yet?

It's fun!

(And seriously, the path to power in the game is playing a massive amount of card then refining them into items to upgrade weapons and convert to very powerful magic you wouldn't normally have access to for ages. It also allows you to only Draw spells like... at one hand's fingers worth of occasions for new spells in the entire game.)

• Options
    FF7 remake
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

It's fun!

(And seriously, the path to power in the game is playing a massive amount of card then refining them into items to upgrade weapons and convert to very powerful magic you wouldn't normally have access to for ages. It also allows you to only Draw spells like... at one hand's fingers worth of occasions for new spells in the entire game.)

Or! Leveling Seifer up to 60 in the first test region (on the mountain path is the best) and then you've boosted 3 GFs to 100, unlocked all their skills, and have access to -Ga spells before you even meet Selphie. You only ever control 3 people at a time anyways so you can just switch the equips from person to person.

But then I never did the card tricks so I honestly don't know how crazy abusive that gets.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Nier 2
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

It's fun!

Or! Leveling Seifer up to 60 in the first test region (on the mountain path is the best) and then you've boosted 3 GFs to 100, unlocked all their skills, and have access to -Ga spells before you even meet Selphie. You only ever control 3 people at a time anyways so you can just switch the equips from person to person.

But then I never did the card tricks so I honestly don't know how crazy abusive that gets.

Card shenanigans let you get everyone's penultimate weapon on the first disc. You can get their final weapons as well but that takes a good bit more work, especially Sqall.

But yeah, I had Squall with his third best sword before the Dollet mission, and 100 Quakes junctioned to his attack. 2-3 shot every boss on that disc.

Cards are broke.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

It's fun!

Or both like I did. Kill Squall and Zell in the first area, let Seifer level to 60 (max out the starting GF's basically), then proceed to break the game wide open with the Heart of the Cards. Though less heart and more merciless domination.

• Options
    FF7 remake
    Oh god I may need to do this when I get my Vita back, in-between P4DAN sessions.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    It took me like, 20 hours to grind out the Anacondaur skins for the Lionheart with Seifer.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    I'll play FF8 only if I can get it really cheap on steam.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    Oh hey I'm playing Radiant Historia a bit again. I love how I can just pick up and put down my 3DS pretty much at will with sleep mode. Anyway, the mini-writeup.
    So I just made it through the Sand Fortress and suddenly I find myself at the border patrol without a passport. Then a convenient distraction appears in the form of a little girl being attacked by sabretooth tigers and wow that is a weird sprite for her. Anyway, I choose to save her, next time I won't to see what happens, kill the monsters and turns out her companions were hiding nearby, the cowardly shits. Then I get the feeling little satyr girl has the hots for Stocke now and dear Christ just no.

They offer to let us "join" their traveling troupe to get through the border crossing when Sir Stick Up His Ass Guard demands to see a performance for free before letting anyone pass. The troupe withdraws and hints very heavily and not subtly at all about how I should learn sword dancing and oh there was someone like that in Mecha Man's group I should go ask him. Cue the Time Twins showing up to talk about this and...wait why is the little satyr girl in this discussion? Can she see what's going on? Well isn't that interesting.

Next time, I go to the mines again and learn how to do sword dancing. Or maybe I'll try storming the checkpoint (positive this is a Bad End) or let the girl get eaten (also a Bad End I'm sure). Because turns out time-traveling can cause someone to become a bit of an amoral sociopath.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    FF7 remake
    Well I don't know what any of that means, but I guess I'll find out soon?

Is the card game anything like ff9?

Javen on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates

Don't worry about that shit, just play the game how you want to and it'll work itself out. People tend to overstate how much the level scaling affects things for the average playthrough

The card game is a bit like FF9, only more predictable and somewhat more fun depending on the regional ruleset you get

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    FF8 is a game that rewards crazy optimization and abuse of game mechanics, but I'd say those abuses are recommended only for people who've played through the game before. Otherwise you're gonna spend 15-20 hours in one place, at the very beginning of the game, and you're gonna hate it. Just play it and enjoy it.

One recommendation I absolutely would give though is to draw as much magic as you can, and always draw whenever facing an enemy you've never seen before. This includes bosses! This is how you get summons and huge stat boosts.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    FF8 is a game that rewards crazy optimization and abuse of game mechanics, but I'd say those abuses are recommended only for people who've played through the game before. Otherwise you're gonna spend 15-20 hours in one place, at the very beginning of the game, and you're gonna hate it. Just play it and enjoy it.

One recommendation I absolutely would give though is to draw as much magic as you can, and always draw whenever facing an enemy you've never seen before. This includes bosses! This is how you get summons and huge stat boosts.

Oh the hate comes anyway the further along in the story you get as everything comes unraveled and nothing in the plot makes a lick of sense.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

It's fun!

Card shenanigans let you get everyone's penultimate weapon on the first disc. You can get their final weapons as well but that takes a good bit more work, especially Sqall.

But yeah, I had Squall with his third best sword before the Dollet mission, and 100 Quakes junctioned to his attack. 2-3 shot every boss on that disc.

Cards are broke.

are you sure about that? I remember digging pretty deep into the possibilities of cards and determining that it wasn't possible to get the pulse ammo you need to make Lionheart until later

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake

Don't worry about that shit, just play the game how you want to and it'll work itself out. People tend to overstate how much the level scaling affects things for the average playthrough

The card game is a bit like FF9, only more predictable and somewhat more fun depending on the regional ruleset you get

it's more fun and also it actually has a real purpose

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

So much this.

As a kid I loved just running around and leveling.

I power-leveled my party like crazy and got to level 100.

I did not understand the junction system and was horribly optimized.

People say leveling a lot is bad or some shiz.

I dunno I was TERRIBLE at games and still am and never had trouble at lvl 100 as a kid. I wrecked the last bosses and all the optional bosses.

People are crazy when it comes to jrpg mechanics. Like if it isn't optimal it must be bad.

But just... nah man. Nah.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Shorty wrote: »
    I think it's time

to finally play FF8

It's fun!

Cards are broke.

are you sure about that? I remember digging pretty deep into the possibilities of cards and determining that it wasn't possible to get the pulse ammo you need to make Lionheart until later

I believe you had to refine one of the Brothers' cards.

This discussion has been closed.