Options

Ask Tube

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Reminder: Duck also kicked her from the cool kid thread.

Heart of ice.

heh

Get back to me when you get banned from the cool and uncool kids threads

most-anime-kid award goes to hullis

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think all of my infractions came from one of the April Fools Day Anime threads.

Two of them were from Rorus telling Geth to ban a random word while I was in the middle of editing one of my posts. On both occaisions that word was found in my post and Geth will infract you for edits.

The third was because I intentionally tried to poke Geth and see what happened.

Speaking of Geth, wasn't there one time when a mod tried to kick someone as a joke and Geth kicked the mod instead? I vaguely remember something like that. Also the time that Geth was told to infract someone and then proceeded to infract them like a dozen times in a row for the same post or something.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Wow, I checked my messages and I think the last infraction I got was in April 2013. How time flies! I still feel bad about every time I got one, like I was disappointing whichever mod infracted me.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I think all of my infractions came from one of the April Fools Day Anime threads.

Two of them were from Rorus telling Geth to ban a random word while I was in the middle of editing one of my posts. On both occaisions that word was found in my post and Geth will infract you for edits.

The third was because I intentionally tried to poke Geth and see what happened.

Speaking of Geth, wasn't there one time when a mod tried to kick someone as a joke and Geth kicked the mod instead? I vaguely remember something like that. Also the time that Geth was told to infract someone and then proceeded to infract them like a dozen times in a row for the same post or something.

'Tis no man! 'Tis a crueless banning machine!

latest?cb=20110823010357

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I've had two infractions

One of them was me being a dick

One of them was me posting a Smash Bros. gif that was too big

"Never again," I whispered to myself both times

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    What happens when you get banned? Can you still sign in and pm people or are you completely locked out of the account?

Completely locked out, if I remember correctly
    I think there is a link to communicate with the mod who banned you?

Ive defiantly been banned on another forum and you had to say you were sorry to get unbanned. But I think all they had was bans to hand out, no jailing or infractions (also a really long time ago)

I was able to view the forums when not logged in, but all instructions came from the rules thread and not a personalized ban message.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I don't think I have ever been infracted. I was warned a few times and I think jailed like twice for being a jerk in old 40k threads in the late 2000's.

I rightfully deserved them.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I was the biggest jerk ever back in the day.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    What happens when you get banned? Can you still sign in and pm people or are you completely locked out of the account?

^ This is correct, and actually leads me to a question/feature request:

Can it be set up so a banned user get an e-mail notification upon their banning regardless of their notification settings? Because it was hella confusing when I went to log in and couldn't; I spent about five minutes assuming I'd just forgotten or bungled my password.

...not that I'm planning on getting myself banned again, and acknowledge that I totally earned that one, but just asking as a general thing for future rapscallions.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I've had two infractions

Wyborn flagellates himself after every infraction with his replica hookshot

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Shorty wrote: »
    I would have been fine with it if it was a mod I was actually friends with

then it would have been a big joke

instead it was like "uhhhhhhh okay cool thanks guy I don't know and never talk to"

e: but also it was like 4 years ago so it literally does not matter at all, I just thought it was a little weird

I'd say that hurts but it's not nice to lie.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My favorite infraction that I got has to be for failure to draw a horse.

To be fair, I was being really sour about drawing a horse, for some reason, not sure who pissed in my cheerios that day (maybe it was me, maybe I pissed in my own).

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The only time I was banned was when I posted in the joke anime thread.

And I knew it was going to happen. I just wish I'd been able to have made my second post before the ban hit, because it was going to be a last will and testament.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I've had two infractions

To be fair, you tend to be pretty awesome when being a dick.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When I was banned I only found out by emailing Tube, I believe.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I got infracted for making an anime thread

history will absolve me

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I got infracted for making an anime thread

history will absolve me

Or condemn you for the monster you are!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    This question is for Icy

I was bracing myself for Geth to become Ultron back in May. Did this happen an you stopped it, or is Geths system resistant to unauthorized tampering?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My single infraction was for posting all of the spaceships.

Actually it was for posting a 3 meg inline image of all of the spaceships.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tube wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Since we asked about the whole "How easy is it to infract someone", and Icy showed a thing that said "Merge"...

....Is it even possible to have, say, the admin suddenly collapse the entire forum by accident in Vanilla? Or have we included some sort of lockout against anything that crazy now?

It would be very hard to fuck everything up accidentally. Not that people don't manage it...

Are you talking about when I accidentally deleted a forumer's entire post history?

I am the very best mod.

(Tube fixed it.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    A while ago Khoo set up a promotion with 10% off the PA store and the profits from the promotion going to act as a bonus to the moderators, or maybe just you. I thought it was an incredibly smart idea as it certainly motivated me into purchasing a lot of stuff from the store. Brilliant way not only to move product but also to take care of the moderators.

It was mentioned that Khoo would disclose how much was netted due to the promotion, but I don't remember that he actually did. I've been curious about that ever since. How much revenue was generated from that promotion?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Since we asked about the whole "How easy is it to infract someone", and Icy showed a thing that said "Merge"...

....Is it even possible to have, say, the admin suddenly collapse the entire forum by accident in Vanilla? Or have we included some sort of lockout against anything that crazy now?

It would be very hard to fuck everything up accidentally. Not that people don't manage it...

Are you talking about when I accidentally deleted a forumer's entire post history?

I am the very best mod.

(Tube fixed it.)

Personally I was referring to the time... scrum I think? took over the forums for like a week and about an hour into being the temporary admin went "Hey what does this fancy Merge button do?" and collapsed everything on the forum to a single, 10,000,000,000,000 or so page long thread.

That remains one of my favourite forum moments.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    This was far fewer spaceships than I expected, actually.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

There is a way bigger one out there with even more ships.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    We were talking about meeting people from the forums, and the only person I ever met was Knob, and he's like one of the best dudes I've ever met to this day. He got me my first EVER gig playing music that I wanted to with the band I was in as a teenager. And we weren't anything special, just another mediocre radio metal band, but he gave us a shot and it remains one of my favorite experiences ever. Even if the other band we brought with us were kinda douches

Edit: also Knob plays fuckin awesome music and is rad and he lives in Wyoming and thT makes him EVEB COOLER.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    btw, for people I don't see often there is a link in my sig to a chrome extension I made for checking image sizes. You can have it copy a pre-formatted img tag to your clipboard if it is under the 500k limit or a url tag if it is over.

there is also a link to the source code. In order to work the extension needs some scary permissions so it would make sense if people would prefer to check the code and make their own extension package.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I was* pretty proud of myself, that I've gone this long without any mod attention whatsoever. In the forum I was most active in for the last two decades before jumping over here, I'm still the all-time record holder for the most warning, infractions, suspensions and (not-as-permanent-as-they-thought) bans.

At one point in my misspent youth, I was sustaining eight distinct sock puppet accounts, four of which joined my main in the top ten most prolific poster stats before getting nuked from orbit. And I had a further 40+ sleeper accounts that I burned through as the first wave got identified and purged. It took six months before I slipped up and revealed the link to my main account. The only reason my ban eventually expired is that they changed admins and forum software within a few months of each other, and the new guy didn't remember to pre-ban me in the new software, or remember that my name was the one the old guy had warned him about. By the time he realized who I was, I'd dedicated a couple years to cultivating an image as a kinder, gentler Hanged Man.

This is why I post maybe twice a day - every time I see that disruptive little asshole starting to emerge in a draft, I discard it and shift to lurking in another thread. On the positive side, taking a much more thoughtful approach means I've averaged two Awesomes a post for almost a thousand posts over the last year.

( * ) - I say "was" pretty proud, because I just remembered that my first post was a whiny "I COULDN'T GET PAX TICKETS, THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN" post that got deleted before I could refresh it to see if there had been any responses, and it took me another couple years after that to try again.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The best way to avoid infraction is to skirt the line between lurker and regular poster, and have no strong opinion about anything.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't think I've been infracted before?
    I have been banned twice though for logging in from the same place as another forum person though. Tube was very nice with fixing those.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    one time I got infracted by Bogey

I responded to the notification with an apology, but I think it might have been an automated PM, so I'm not sure he saw it

Bogey, if you're reading this, I'm still sorry

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Houn wrote: »

^ This is correct, and actually leads me to a question/feature request:

Can it be set up so a banned user get an e-mail notification upon their banning regardless of their notification settings? Because it was hella confusing when I went to log in and couldn't; I spent about five minutes assuming I'd just forgotten or bungled my password.

...not that I'm planning on getting myself banned again, and acknowledge that I totally earned that one, but just asking as a general thing for future rapscallions.

We're working on the banning workflow with vanilla, they know it needs to be improved

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    My favorite infraction was when I asked Tube how to make infractions.

Mine was when I got infracted for trying to summon He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named
    Beetlejuice?

...oh god, I've said his name once...

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    butler for life can I give you a hug

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

There is a way bigger one out there with even more ships.

Oh wow, yeah

That is a lot of ships

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I am the very best mod.

(Tube fixed it.)

I was at a Halloween party when you did that, and someone got a picture of me facepalming at the exact moment I read it.
    Jigrah wrote: »
    A while ago Khoo set up a promotion with 10% off the PA store and the profits from the promotion going to act as a bonus to the moderators, or maybe just you. I thought it was an incredibly smart idea as it certainly motivated me into purchasing a lot of stuff from the store. Brilliant way not only to move product but also to take care of the moderators.

It was mentioned that Khoo would disclose how much was netted due to the promotion, but I don't remember that he actually did. I've been curious about that ever since. How much revenue was generated from that promotion?

A good amount, I can't remember exactly. It wasn't enough to practically offset a salary which I think was the intent, but it paid some bills

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    The best way to avoid infraction is to skirt the line between lurker and regular poster, and have no strong opinion about anything.

I have three infractions over the past 8 years and 17,000+ posts, and only one of them was serious.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My first locked thread was locked by Kara way back when she was moderating. I'm still proud of that one.

She had created a thread asking people not to create redundant threads. So I made a thread asking people to not make redundant threads.

So worth it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Wimble wrote: »
    butler for life can I give you a hug

yes

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think the only time I got banned was a temp banning from Tube with the reason of "Conspiracy to disparage Fightstar."

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    thank you wimble, I needed that

This discussion has been closed.