Options

Ask Tube

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    So it seems like the Writer's Block gets a really disproportionate number of posts that should have gone into another part of the forums. Is there a known or suspected reason for that? Or is it just that it's a slower moving forum, so the closed threads stay on the front page for a long time?

They actually all belong there.

They're just reaaaaally avant garde.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    bwanie wrote: »
    Criticism of the main comic and some of it's spinoff and others (trenches) can result in some unproportional moderatian backlash.

Everyone thinks that moderation that affects them is disproportionate.

I didn't for the four times I've been hit by it.
    Mass jailing from the Halo thread (collateral, but eh I probably would have gotten swept into it eventually), infracted for posting in a spam thread (yeah, that was stupid), infracted for skirting the word (in reference to Transformers 2), and warned in H&A for not providing advice with my joke (though I thought it was a good enough joke since I only got a warning. Or maybe because Ceres is that awesome).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Btw I'm answering shorter questions right now because I'm on my phone (day off). I'm not ignoring anyone.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Do you have set days off or is it just whatever you feel like?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Since we asked about the whole "How easy is it to infract someone", and Icy showed a thing that said "Merge"...

....Is it even possible to have, say, the admin suddenly collapse the entire forum by accident in Vanilla? Or have we included some sort of lockout against anything that crazy now?

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Do you have set days off or is it just whatever you feel like?
    Rowe. Realistically I never take a day off from the forum.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Is that because you love us?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Haha this thread reminded me of when I gave tube Hitman2 and he had to play it.

Good times.

When's the next Solid Saints auction?

when & if i ever get the time to do it again

between work & my resume business & running at the moment i don't have time

we'll see if i ever get myself organized

basically i'm terrible

Mully shouldn't be the only one to carry this burden. She is not terrible, she is awesome. I feel that I may make her terrible by being stupidly busy as well.

Glad that people still look forward to her brainchild though.

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »
    Since we asked about the whole "How easy is it to infract someone", and Icy showed a thing that said "Merge"...

....Is it even possible to have, say, the admin suddenly collapse the entire forum by accident in Vanilla? Or have we included some sort of lockout against anything that crazy now?

It would be very hard to fuck everything up accidentally. Not that people don't manage it...

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    bwanie wrote: »
    Criticism of the main comic and some of it's spinoff and others (trenches) can result in some unproportional moderatian backlash.

Everyone thinks that moderation that affects them is disproportionate.

I didn't for the four times I've been hit by it.
    Mass jailing from the Halo thread (collateral, but eh I probably would have gotten swept into it eventually), infracted for posting in a spam thread (yeah, that was stupid), infracted for skirting the word (in reference to Transformers 2), and warned in H&A for not providing advice with my joke (though I thought it was a good enough joke since I only got a warning. Or maybe because Ceres is that awesome).

I've gotten 3 infractions, I didn't think any of them were unjust.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Thro wrote: »
    Question regarding the mega-threads;

Why are they considered bad? I agree they can get insular (same people posting, and not really engaging outside of that one thread). I'm just not sure I get why this is a problem?

We don't want an insular community, filled with little cliques. Some people like that, and that's fine. It's just not we're going for.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Talking about Kickstarters but not linking them isn't sneaking around the rules, because there is no rule against talking about Kickstarters.

I guess it would depend on the purpose of the rule.
    I'm under the impression that the rule is in place specifically to prevent the forum from being flooded by people stopping by solely to promote their own Kick Starters by creating threads with a link to said kickstarters. If that is the purpose, to limit people from using the forums to advertise crowd funding campaigns, then people would be circumventing the spirit of the rule by providing all the information to find a specific kickstarter short of a link to it.

I could be wrong though.

People who sign up solely to pimp their Kickstarters never bother to read the rules though, so they make a whole new thread about their KS and they post a link to it, thus violating a bunch of explicit rules from the get-go.

Posters in CF who have talked about projects they have been involved in (don't recall if there were any KS campaigns specifically that forumers were involved in) have sought mod approval before making a new thread, and if they were just making a post about it, they are invariably upfront about having a stake in the thing they are talking about.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    mully wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Haha this thread reminded me of when I gave tube Hitman2 and he had to play it.

Good times.

When's the next Solid Saints auction?

when & if i ever get the time to do it again

between work & my resume business & running at the moment i don't have time

we'll see if i ever get myself organized

basically i'm terrible

Mully shouldn't be the only one to carry this burden. She is not terrible, she is awesome. I feel that I may make her terrible by being stupidly busy as well.

Glad that people still look forward to her brainchild though.

yo for real when it got moved to biennial i mentally wrote it off as cancelled forever
    glad to hear the idea is at least still being entertained

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    ....Is it even possible to have, say, the admin suddenly collapse the entire forum by accident in Vanilla?

I tried to come up with a quantum physics joke but it surpasses my abilities

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is my favorite infraction:
    f8hn5h3dol8c.jpg
    Although, to be fair, I may have actually deserved that one. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the only time I was ever miffed about getting infracted was the time I got infracted for not having any infractions

• Options
    Yeah, well. You deserved that one.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I would have been fine with it if it was a mod I was actually friends with

then it would have been a big joke

instead it was like "uhhhhhhh okay cool thanks guy I don't know and never talk to"

e: but also it was like 4 years ago so it literally does not matter at all, I just thought it was a little weird

Shorty on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    My favorite infraction was when I asked Tube how to make infractions.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I would have been fine with it if it was a mod I was actually friends with

then it would have been a big joke

instead it was like "uhhhhhhh okay cool thanks guy I don't know and never talk to"

e: but also it was like 4 years ago so it literally does not matter at all, I just thought it was a little weird

Sounds like somebody didn't learn their lesson.

Nice lack of infractions you got there...

....be a shame yadda yadda yadda

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Mine was when I got infracted for trying to summon He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    the only time I was ever miffed about getting infracted was the time I got infracted for not having any infractions

I got infracted for destroying the economy. I think that was an Irond Will one.

Anyhow, for the "I quit" topic. I think that the mods can definitely come off as a bit brusque and overly dismissive at times. Often times it is in the form of a joke. Which works fine with buddies and people you know well. But doesn't always come off the same on a forum. I think it is somewhat of a tone issue. Mods can sometimes come off as being nasty, even when that isn't really the intent.

That said, I'm not going to run off because of it. Just shake it off and move along.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I got banned once because of a geth malfunction

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What happens when you get banned? Can you still sign in and pm people or are you completely locked out of the account?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I got infracted for having a post with " a " in it when we found out Geth understood regular expressions. Good times.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »
    What happens when you get banned? Can you still sign in and pm people or are you completely locked out of the account?

Completely locked out, if I remember correctly

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Only one way to find out!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    In case any of you are wondering if diplomatic immunity is a thing

x6bq5skk3fwe.jpg

IT'S NOT >:[

• Options
    Reminder: Duck also kicked her from the cool kid thread.

Heart of ice.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I got dinged once for helping BFL play a breaking bad fake spoiler-based joke on bugboy

I was a liiiiiiittle bugged that i got in trouble for a good-natured joke but I got why

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I would have guessed the time Geth infracted you for using the word leak in the Smash thread.

On the note of weird infractions I have kind of wondered what happened with me one time. I got a PM about an infraction, but it was for a poster who was not me posting in a thread I never viewed. I chalked it up to a technical error, but I have wondered what was up ever since.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i know my favorite infraction

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

I've had a few warnings, a few infractions and not even a handful of jailing instances. My first infraction felt like getting caught smoking in the restroom at high school; no shit, I finally felt like one of the cool kids.

To a shy kid who grew up as a stickler for the rules, a straight-A student and a whopping two detentions in twelve years of public schooling, I felt like the rebel I always wanted to be.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I got dinged once for helping BFL play a breaking bad fake spoiler-based joke on bugboy

I was a liiiiiiittle bugged that i got in trouble for a good-natured joke but I got why

I still feel bad about this.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I've been infracted a couple times. I think I deserved it, at least the time I remember.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I still feel bad about this.

Nahhhhh don't

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I've been infracted a couple times. I think I deserved it, at least the time I remember.

I've been infracted 3 or for times

I deserved all of them except MAYBE when I didn't understand that the hard N word ban applied even to direct quotes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Completely locked out, if I remember correctly
    I think there is a link to communicate with the mod who banned you?

Ive defiantly been banned on another forum and you had to say you were sorry to get unbanned. But I think all they had was bans to hand out, no jailing or infractions (also a really long time ago)

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

I've been infracted several times and every time I deserved it for being an asshole (minus joke infractions because those are always funny). I've been jailed a few times and temp banned once but those were mostly all due to accruing points. I'm on mobile so I can't check but I think it's been quite some time since my last infraction. Can we check that anymore? I know I can't see other people's but I dunno if I can see my own.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Reminder: Duck also kicked her from the cool kid thread.

Heart of ice.

heh

Get back to me when you get banned from the cool and uncool kids threads

This discussion has been closed.