Options

Depressions: Can we learn from past [chat]?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Elendil wrote: »
    elki did you find the gun in honest hearts

it's a semi-auto 12.7mm rifle and it is glorious

No, maybe I should find that. All my points are on energy weapons, though. Where is the gun?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    RiemannLives what do you know about this Windows 10 minecraft?
    Elki
    unfortunately nothing at all

looking into it now

Though something that people seem to not realize is this is just the mobile version. With windows 10, it really is the same OS for mobile, desktop and tablet (as well as other form factors via Win10 IoT)

So it's not like this is some big sekret project or even really new. Just that with Win10 its the same OS under the hood of an xbox or phone or whatever so might as well put it out for the PC as well.

It might eventually turn into something interesting if they keep working on it though.

So basically exactly what I said was happening, like a week ago, right?

They are using their mobile code base (which is not Java) to release a new version of minecraft that is far less of a pig WRT resources.

The fact they will run these two versions concurrently (classic and new) means they have little to risk, but if you start seeing them add a really good low level modding API to the win10 version, expect to see them deprecate the Java one in the years to come.

yeah, possibly. though I think it is interesting that Mojang was never able to get people to even move to 1.8 with their mods.

Everyone still uses 1.7.10

Yeah, at this point the community is so entrenched and in love with the mods that exist and the tools available that it will take years of work to move people off of Java into the new hotness, if that is even their goal.

But I really do not see Microsoft wanting to support and build upon that platform for the next ten years - they have to want to make it c#, or something more in their wheelhouse.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    override367 on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    you know if someone told me Stephen Stills was gay and I only knew Scott Pilgrim the movie, I would've thought "No, you're wrong. Julie was totally the gay one."

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    elki did you find the gun in honest hearts

it's a semi-auto 12.7mm rifle and it is glorious

No, maybe I should find that. All my points are on energy weapons, though. Where is the gun?
    ah, if you're running an energy build you probably won't get much use out of it. but south of the white leg encampment is a hill with a duffel bag and a particular corpse at the top of it

it's in the bag

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Well, i once again proved to myself that i can't do anything right.

My mom bought one of those electric hedge trimmers/weed cutters.

She asks me to assemble it.

it's in 3 goddamn parts.

I can't even do that, the screws seem to be too big to fit in the guard's screw holes.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The 360 controller is nice, but everyone should be moving to the Xbone controller. It's a big upgrade, and you're all worth it. I mean, most of you.

Maybe I'll just install 20 different drivers to get my superior PS4 pad working.

Well. "Working"

Is that the controller equivalent of running Linux as your OS?

It's the dumbest, shoving the big ol' star shaped peg into a square hole. Horray you get to use yer star peg, but you broke off all the points to get it in there! >:I

I mean, yeah, I'll never fault people for wanting a project

Back when high level emulation of n64 games were all the rage, I went to RadioShack and bought a bunch of components so I could convert an n64 controller into a PC game pad that connected through the gamepad port on my sound blaster.

Nowadays, fuck it, plug in the controller that just works and be done with it, who's got time for that nonsense.

I get salty if I need to key map shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

is this your cat or somethin?

nope

it's a v cat cat though

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    RiemannLives what do you know about this Windows 10 minecraft?
    Elki
    unfortunately nothing at all

looking into it now

Though something that people seem to not realize is this is just the mobile version. With windows 10, it really is the same OS for mobile, desktop and tablet (as well as other form factors via Win10 IoT)

So it's not like this is some big sekret project or even really new. Just that with Win10 its the same OS under the hood of an xbox or phone or whatever so might as well put it out for the PC as well.

It might eventually turn into something interesting if they keep working on it though.

So basically exactly what I said was happening, like a week ago, right?

They are using their mobile code base (which is not Java) to release a new version of minecraft that is far less of a pig WRT resources.

The fact they will run these two versions concurrently (classic and new) means they have little to risk, but if you start seeing them add a really good low level modding API to the win10 version, expect to see them deprecate the Java one in the years to come.

yeah, possibly. though I think it is interesting that Mojang was never able to get people to even move to 1.8 with their mods.

Everyone still uses 1.7.10

Yeah, at this point the community is so entrenched and in love with the mods that exist and the tools available that it will take years of work to move people off of Java into the new hotness, if that is even their goal.

But I really do not see Microsoft wanting to support and build upon that platform for the next ten years - they have to want to make it c#, or something more in their wheelhouse.

I have absolutely no inside knowledge on this (didn't know about the win10 stuff until today) but god that would be so nice. Java is the devil.

if they really wanted to get everyone to move if they just gave the Minecraft Forge people some support to switch and brought maybe four or five other mods with then everyone would follow. Probably Tinkers Construct, Buildcraft, IndustrialCraft 2, Team COFH and Forestry would do the trick.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    just applied for a big ol' competition

lets see how this goes

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

lets see how this goes

You're doing a hell of a lot better than most already.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    The 360 controller is nice, but everyone should be moving to the Xbone controller. It's a big upgrade, and you're all worth it. I mean, most of you.

Maybe I'll just install 20 different drivers to get my superior PS4 pad working.

Well. "Working"

Is that the controller equivalent of running Linux as your OS?

It's the dumbest, shoving the big ol' star shaped peg into a square hole. Horray you get to use yer star peg, but you broke off all the points to get it in there! >:I

I mean, yeah, I'll never fault people for wanting a project

Back when high level emulation of n64 games were all the rage, I went to RadioShack and bought a bunch of components so I could convert an n64 controller into a PC game pad that connected through the gamepad port on my sound blaster.

Nowadays, fuck it, plug in the controller that just works and be done with it, who's got time for that nonsense.

I get salty if I need to key map shit.

I had to use Xpadder to get push to talk mapped to my 360 controller for Borderlands 2

It is a silly oversight and one that makes playing it from the couch impossible

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The Rift is going to come with an XBone controller. I'll stick with the 360 controller until then. I have no use for more than one.

And chances are, I'll be switching to the Steam controller anyway.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh! Last I heard (like, years ago...) the Rift controller was like a fancy new version of the wiimote+nunchuck. A gamepad as the default controller seems a little, I dunno, reductive.

It's already weird experimental bullshit, go weird with the controls!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2015
    Just saw Bjork in a giant moth costume sing Hyperballad. Big old fucking tick in the to do list.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ok....

2015-07-0518_55_20-gaqpsd9.png

CJKjJ_8WcAA6vAB.jpg:large

• Options
    Ahahahahahahahaha, that slide is fantastic.

The fonts, the bullet points, everything about it is poifect.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought I had it good. I thought I was the chosen one. Then New Vegas crashed to desktop.
    I managed to get it running last not. Problem with lenovo's 'one key' thing

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    man, I was out for a quick evening stroll to enjoy the very slight drizzle and marginally less tropical temperature after a sweltering day and that was nice

then, like a minute after I was back inside my flat lightning struck outside and it went full on thunderstorm

great timing

• Options
    Huh! Last I heard (like, years ago...) the Rift controller was like a fancy new version of the wiimote+nunchuck. A gamepad as the default controller seems a little, I dunno, reductive.

It's already weird experimental bullshit, go weird with the controls!

Nah, other companies are making experimental controllers.

There will be multiple rift retail products, one of which will ship with an XBO controller for using that Xbox one rift app on Windows 10.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »

lets see how this goes

You're doing a hell of a lot better than most already.

it can be a bit frustrating at times

but yeah, when you have to list out your achievements and shit, it can be kinda cool to be all "oh wait a minute, I'm actually doing ok"

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    oh man a thunderstorm would be so rad right now. seattle isn't supposed to be like this. im dying squirtle

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    @Jacobkosh found it. This is a pretty sweep piece of armor.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    damn it. missed out on the pax south badge sale announcement.

Basically, only sunday remains, a day that i wouldn't necessarily go because I'd be flying back to work.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I agree with Chu. Apple music working with Siri makes it actually feel like the songs are in your library. I can hit the Siri button in my car, say a song, and hear it. It's a killer feature. It makes every other service obsolete IMO.
    But will Siri sing the song for you?

No.

Insufficient.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Florida is thunderstorm king.

It's the only thing I like about summer

• Options
    McDonald's Employee Fired For Placing His Mixtapes In Children's Happy Meals

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    someone linked Alton Brown's skirt steak vid earlier and fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

I'm making this at some point this week

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Also depending on region and such Portuguese speakers consider themselves to be speaking Espanol.

Just like Americans with English

America is the Brazil of England.

What? That's just... wrong. Like, no they're not speaking that language.
    I guess it is one of the closest pairings of languages that is extant, so it makes sense.

Though, on the other hand all the different Chinese dialects get put under Chinese and they are simultaneously closer and further away.

Language is p weird

I've never heard of a Portuguese conflating their language with Espanol. Or vice versa.

@Drez my belief here comes from a Linguistics professor in university who, amongst other things, catalogued differences in South American languages.

I never saw the data directly, but she was very very knowledgeable, I knew her outside of class and she basically did nothing but study languages. So I don't think she was lying or making stuff up.

Also, from what she said it was Portuguese speakers in South American, and was definitely not shared by Portuguese nationals or Espanol actual (?)speakers.

• Options
    I'm not sure if i'll go to PAX East next year.

This year was less fun than the two previous years i went to.

I blame it 100% on you guys. :razz:

• Options
    (Seriously, though, it felt way too crowded this year + there were way too few tabletop freeplay tables.)

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    what thing should I watch on netflix

not too heavy

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »

not too heavy

V/H/S: Viral.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

not too heavy

Knights of Sidonia.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    there's a new V/H/S!?

Is it any good?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

not too heavy

God of Cookery

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

not too heavy

Legend of the Drunken Master
    You're Next
    Chef
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Don't Trust the B**** in Apt. 23

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I agree with Chu. Apple music working with Siri makes it actually feel like the songs are in your library. I can hit the Siri button in my car, say a song, and hear it. It's a killer feature. It makes every other service obsolete IMO.
    But will Siri sing the song for you?

No.

Insufficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjOXzMir_k

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »

not too heavy

Legend of the Drunken Master
    You're Next
    Chef
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Don't Trust the B**** in Apt. 23

I liked this one. And it left me wanting a g'damn cubano for 6 weeks (never did get one)

This discussion has been closed.