Options

just bought a house wtf lol (Proper Tea thread)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    she does, and she does! I've stayed with her just recently actually.

I have a fairly good idea of the rental situation around there right now tbh, the issue is simply that it's not very affordable. Not much to be done about that, sadly!

... maybe i should live on a boat ...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    @Weaver might be able to get you some tips on roof-living.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    You could live on the Charles!

https://youtu.be/4JLNnXgQeqU

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    she does, and she does! I've stayed with her just recently actually.

I have a fairly good idea of the rental situation around there right now tbh, the issue is simply that it's not very affordable. Not much to be done about that, sadly!

... maybe i should live on a boat ...

Yeah, Boston is pretty ridiculous right now pricing-wise. Despite what people complain about, the T is pretty reliable, so definitely utilize connections to it. On the counter to that, close to T= expensive, so check out bus routes that would be easy to where you work and you can probably find some cheaper spots since no one likes (or thinks of) the bus in Boston.

• Options
    Oh yeah, that's a good point. You can live in Southie and take the 9 or 11 bus to the red line and then commute to Harvard Square, probably about 30-40 minutes. The only problem is that it's gotten a bit gentrified in recent years and rentals might be a lot more expensive than when I lived there, over ten years ago.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I have a place in nyc if you pretend to be a relative. Slightly better commute?

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    I once knew a guy who commuted from Washington, DC to Boston via jet. Of course he was single and very wealthy.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Guys having a competition about who can least afford a home isn't super productive and doesn't always make other people feel great about what they have bought / can afford.

I just started doing regular gardening work for a bloke that owns a winery. When I looked up the address to see how to get there from my house, I saw that it had been bought within the last couple of years, and for a surprisingly low price. Over 18 hectares of property with a house, separate office, vines and winery, and restaurant on site, and 350+ metres of river frontage through the property for under $1.5 million? In the Swan Valley "culture region"?

Son of a motherfucker that was a good deal!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Guys having a competition about who can least afford a home isn't super productive and doesn't always make other people feel great about what they have bought / can afford.

I just started doing regular gardening work for a bloke that owns a winery. When I looked up the address to see how to get there from my house, I saw that it had been bought within the last couple of years, and for a surprisingly low price. Over 18 hectares of property with a house, separate office, vines and winery, and restaurant on site, and 350+ metres of river frontage through the property for under $1.5 million? In the Swan Valley "culture region"?

Son of a motherfucker that was a good deal!

That would be a ball-crushingly good deal on the surface of the Sun.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I am shocked it would go for $1.5m! I would assume it would have been over $2m

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I dunno even what country that's in but 1.5 million is what you pay for a solid house with a decent yard in So Cal, so anything that warrants a list that isn't actually contained in the actual house itself might as well be in fairy land for what I'm used to.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's not next door to Houghton's or Sandalford, it's in Baskerville. But still, that's extremely good value.

• Options
    Okay, Baskerville, Australia looks like a dick.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

The roof, the roof, the roof is was on fire.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    edit: stupid delayed double-post

Weaver on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

The roof, the roof, the roof is was on fire.

Goddamn it I should have said "hot tips"!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I was planning on moving into an apartment at the start of October if I got a job that I'm applying for, but right after all the interviews apparently there was a hiring freeze on the position, no information on how long it will last. Unfortunately this means even if I get the job I won't be able to move into that apartment (since they only tend to become available at the first of the month) and I'll have to look for an apartment elsewhere if I get the job, near a bus route since I don't have a car, and that apartment was the least expensive in the area, so I either need to look for apartments in the next town or live with a more expensive apartment I might not be able to afford with the job.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Amazingly, we got a copy of the HOA bylaws today! Within the option period!! Everyone's been telling me so far that in Texas, it would take 21 days to get that paperwork. Luckily, it's nothing too invasive or troublesome - they don't even have a restriction on "aggressive breeds" of dog.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Today I bought fish and put up a washing line. This home ownership stuff is great!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I need advice from more experience realtor folks here. We have this offer on a house, we got the inspection, and then we put forth our addendum for what we want them to fix. They told us they would have an answer to our addendums "late Friday night." Both @Strikor and I are night owls so we were up past midnight, and got nothing in email or text. My realtor tried to contact the listing agent this morning and the radio silence continues. Our option period is up tomorrow at midnight. My feeling is that if they can't answer our addendums within the option period then we should just pull out, because after that they can just say "Screw you" to any addendums and then also keep our earnest money. Am I worrying over nothing? The realtor says that it wouldn't be worth it for them to screw us over because they aren't going to get an offer as large as mine again, most likely, but I'm not sure.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Just to add to the above a bit: my gut tells me they're intentionally stalling because they know that they'll have a hell of a lot more bargaining power after the option period ends and that they really don't want to do anything at all.

The extra frustrating thing is that it's all fairly minor stuff, so it's like they don't want to touch the place at ALL. We could probably pay to get it done ourselves for a few grand, but it's a bit disconcerting since we already made them a generous offer to begin with. Maybe they're concerned it won't appraise well with the lender, but I would think FIXING THINGS would be very helpful in getting rid of the property, which they are clearly in a hurry to do!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Ah, AC went out while I was at work.

Wife continues to try to cool house, doesn't turn off, doesn't look at lines.

2 1/2 inches of ice frozen on the lines.

Rental company says likely won't get anybody out until Monday.

Between the stinky carpets, the holes in the walls, the AC going out, and the finnicky toilets, I'm going to have to say the property management people are lazy fuckers who don't actually manage or maintain anything, they just wait til it shits the bed and then replace when necessary

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    The thing I said to my realtor is, that I have no way of knowing if they see it her way or not. From their perspective, they may think of me as a chump who wants the house at any cost, so they can do what they want without consequence, including ignoring hard contract dates and refusing to update me on whether they will accept changes to the contract. So the "they'd be stupid to screw you at that price" doesn't hold, if they think I gave that price because I'm a clueless idiot.

• Options
    Well we got a signature on the addendum finally, and I personally think it's because I pitched a fit.

My realtor had the nerve to tell me that the seller is frustrated too "wondering why it's taking so long." Motherfucker you could have gotten me that addendum to me next day, don't piss and moan to me because it takes you three days to send me a signature.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Heh, the 2bed maisonette I live in just got valued at £215k, the property above got valued at £175k. I live in a world where the bottom half of a house is worth 40k more than the top half ...

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The main thing I can say is that buying a house is neither easy nor fun.

When I bought my place, I was dealing with inexperienced investors/flippers. Also, the bank wouldn't sign off on the mortgage unless HOA delinquencies were below a certain threshold. It probably took me around five weeks to finish closing.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Well we got a signature on the addendum finally, and I personally think it's because I pitched a fit.

My realtor had the nerve to tell me that the seller is frustrated too "wondering why it's taking so long." Motherfucker you could have gotten me that addendum to me next day, don't piss and moan to me because it takes you three days to send me a signature.

So this turned out to be the seller's realtor's fault. Things take days longer than they should because he can't be bothered to keep everyone in the loop in a timely fashion.

Now I feel a bit sorry for the seller to have to deal with slowpoke mcgee.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Strikor wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

So this turned out to be the seller's realtor's fault. Things take days longer than they should because he can't be bothered to keep everyone in the loop in a timely fashion.

Now I feel a bit sorry for the seller to have to deal with slowpoke mcgee.

Well, yes and no. Our realtor also said something about the seller being sick.

Either way: If you don't think you're going to be able to get me something by the time you said you'd get it to me, let me know. And if you think you won't be able to get me something by a deadline that I'll be penalized by, then extend my motherfucking deadline. Don't leave me flopping around int he dark wondering what the fuck is happening. "We'll get it to you eventually, some day" doesn't cut it when we have a contract and my money is on the line.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Yeah that's some unprofessional horseshit

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    After procrastinating for days I am finally done packing, and only 2 hours before the movers show up!

And by "movers" I actually mean "my dad with a truck" and by "done" I actually mean "mostly finished except for the kitchen which I completely forgot about and the huge pile of useless crap and old clothes that I'll end up taking to good will" but eh, close enough.

Fuck I hate moving so much; I never realize how much stupid junk I have until I need to shove it all into a hunch of boxes.

Still need to do all the deep cleaning for my Tuesday inspection too, but I think I'll make that Monday's adventure.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

That is an insane way to run a teansaction. In MN they get two business days to respond to an offer. Then you get two business days to respond to their counter or acceptance. Then you must do the inspection within a certain number of days, usually 5 business.

After the inspection you get two business days to say "fix things" or do nothing or cancel. If nothing then you can't cancel. If you send an addendum saying you want things fixed, then they get 2 business to respond or the agreement is automatically cancelled.

The only way you could get left holding a dud house is if the realtor never sends the paperwork, which is unlikely.

Very hard to get screwed by the seller's being slow.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Apparently someone had a birthday recently. Found balloons wrapped around the power lines near my garage last night.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »

That is an insane way to run a teansaction. In MN they get two business days to respond to an offer. Then you get two business days to respond to their counter or acceptance. Then you must do the inspection within a certain number of days, usually 5 business.

After the inspection you get two business days to say "fix things" or do nothing or cancel. If nothing then you can't cancel. If you send an addendum saying you want things fixed, then they get 2 business to respond or the agreement is automatically cancelled.

The only way you could get left holding a dud house is if the realtor never sends the paperwork, which is unlikely.

Very hard to get screwed by the seller's being slow.

I'm still miffed at my realtor telling me I should "give them some leeway." Lady, this is a contract and if they don't get back to me before the option period is over I'm the one who's penalized by the loss of my earnest money, not the seller. It's they who are supposed to be giving me leeway, either by returning the paperwork in a timely manner, or automatically extending my option period if they don't think they can get back to me fast. It's the seller who wanted the option period to be 7 days instead of 10 in the first place! And the seller who asked for the closing to be far out in case they had trouble with their tax lien paperwork. Everything in the contract is already geared towards giving them leeway and giving me none. #$%!

Cambiata on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Sofas are expensive.

That said, it's got recliners built in!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    My house is gonna be listed next week at 471.000$. 47000$ more than I bought it for three years ago - housing market is bonkers.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Another fun thing I noticed while inspecting AC unit: vent on outside of house that matches up with the dryer vent appears to be dented in and not as efficient as it could be, as the three dryer loads that have been through the dryer have all taken much longer than they should for a new HE unit

Add another thing to the work order list I email first thing Monday morning

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I'd be weary of using the dryer if the vent is impeded in anyway. I use to do appliance repair and lack of airflow can cause your thermal fuse to blow. If you didnt know that already that is.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Phasen wrote: »
    I'd be weary of using the dryer if the vent is impeded in anyway. I use to do appliance repair and lack of airflow can cause your thermal fuse to blow. If you didnt know that already that is.

Yeah. I was at work today while wife used it. I thought she was aware of situation, but I also thought she would turn off the AC when she noticed it wasn't cooling.

Also gonna go ahead and risk it to try and cool the house down and run the AC for an hour or two until it gets to like 80 instead of the current 92

• Options
    I have truly taken for granted my dad dragging me out to observe whatever fucked up at our house while growing up to at least recognize the situation and identify a course of action

I realize not everybody has that opportunity. I may not know how to repair it, but I can make it safe / inoperable until someone with knowledge can get to it

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I pulled an inch-thick wad of lint out of our external dryer vent a month or so back. It had clogged up at the grill to the outside of the house, which I had never cleared because I never had that problem with the old vent (I must have replaced it 4 years ago, and had the previous one for about 6 years). It's made a huge difference.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.