As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    they have been doing soft resets which take into account the rank you ended with last season

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    All last season we played doubles only with eachother and also had the gold/silver discrepancy. Was the previous season also a soft reset of the one before?

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Think so

• Options
    Aaahhh well I think that would explain it as I think we played doubles with different friends a couple seasons ago so it carried over.

• Options
    the grind to champ 2 is so difficult with randos :(

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I have owned Rocket League for a pretty long time. When I look at when I purchased it, the date says 10/16/2015. I only have 270 hours in and only recently have I started taking the idea of getting out of Bronze seriously. (I have the Season 2 Prospect Boost, the Season 3 Prospect Wheel then my next ranked prize is the Season 6 Bronze Wheels.)

Currently Bronze Two (Solo Standard) and am finding it interesting how many matches I end up in with Silvers. Also finding it interesting watching these other people going for fancy moves and failing them over and over again. Currently my wins are coming when playing against people who go for fancy shots and fail while the losses happen when my team mates spend their time trying for fancy shots that they fail.

Spend my time waiting for matches in free play trying to balance the ball on my roof or trying to control my car while in the air using boost. I think I am getting better at both but I am still not ready to try either things in matches.

• Options
    You may lose some games from it, but going for all the aerials you can (while not crowding the ball or snaking it from your own team) is the best way to learn to do it. I think trying to do those things in a proper match is the way to go.

In other news, I ended up playing some on the switch with my mom last night. It went about how you would expect, but we had a good time against some bots.

• Options
    Seg wrote: »
    I have owned Rocket League for a pretty long time. When I look at when I purchased it, the date says 10/16/2015. I only have 270 hours in and only recently have I started taking the idea of getting out of Bronze seriously. (I have the Season 2 Prospect Boost, the Season 3 Prospect Wheel then my next ranked prize is the Season 6 Bronze Wheels.)

Currently Bronze Two (Solo Standard) and am finding it interesting how many matches I end up in with Silvers. Also finding it interesting watching these other people going for fancy moves and failing them over and over again. Currently my wins are coming when playing against people who go for fancy shots and fail while the losses happen when my team mates spend their time trying for fancy shots that they fail.

Spend my time waiting for matches in free play trying to balance the ball on my roof or trying to control my car while in the air using boost. I think I am getting better at both but I am still not ready to try either things in matches.

A lot of people here are in like platinum or diamond so I feel a bit intimidated asking them to play. My bro and I are only in low golds so if you ever want some teammates feel free to hit us up, I think my steam tag is in my profile.

• Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    No idea if it would work for people's schedules - and with this spring semester I've been a ghost in the RL discord lately even - but maybe a monthly or twice monthly night where we just gather up in a private server and play around without ranks would be a decent time. Also would give us a chance to play cross-platform some more as well.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    JC of DI wrote: »
    No idea if it would work for people's schedules - and with this spring semester I've been a ghost in the RL discord lately even - but maybe a monthly or twice monthly night where we just gather up in a private server and play around without ranks would be a decent time. Also would give us a chance to play cross-platform some more as well.

this would be a mighty fine time, i wanted to organize something like that myself but never got round to it.

• Options
    also for the record i have had an alt account for awhile (Mannfield & Sons) that i use for playing with real life buddies and don't care about re:rank, so if y'all wanna play sometime feel free to hit me up on my main (clicksterz)

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    At the start of this season I got seeded at high plat, was about one win away from diamond, but as usual I fell all the way back to gold with a combination of my own bad play (I'm streaky) and then increasingly bad teams and opponents making it hard for me to play my style. The things I'm (kind of) good at in this game are all about team play and reading plays, the worse the players around me the worse I do, because it's so chaotic it's hard to read. And people don't even think about passing, whether that's getting open for them or making them.

It would be nice to get to play with some of you all again, for more coordination!

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    The enlarged toppers right now are pretty silly.

• Options
    Climbing back up the rankings steadily today. Went on to lose this game in a frustrating manner, but still pleased with this one:

https://gfycat.com/JauntySarcasticImpala

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I just bought this after a mate of mine pointed out it's on sale and it's awesome.

I scored two goals in fifteen matches.

I have a long way to go.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Did RL get custom tournament support yet? I would love to try that out if we had enough players...

Although I'm guessing we'd only have enough for a few teams...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Did RL get custom tournament support yet? I would love to try that out if we had enough players...

Although I'm guessing we'd only have enough for a few teams...

In fact that's coming tomorrow (April 3rd)! That would be a fun way to break it in and see how many folks are up for some games.

Easter festivities and traveling have kept me from doing too much on organizing a specific Rocket League night just yet, but tonight or tomorrow I should be able to work up something to post and get the ball rolling.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    Digging the continued interest in the game. I’m still on pretty consistently. Happy to play with any and all.

• Options
    So they did an update that put all my duplicates into stacks. Meaning my crates only take up a couple of rows instead of the whole screen. And the filter tabs on the inventory screen are really nice as well. I like it more then the drop down thing they had before.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Yeah, inventory sorting is much better now but it still loads slowly like before. Having favorite items show on top is also handy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fX0Iqrn.png?1
    https://doodle.com/poll/z37kca27xaahy6a8

Welcome to the Rocket Society!
    A gathering of supersonic scholars looking to have an enjoyable night of camaraderie and amusement.

There's surely discussions to be had about how often we gather up to goof off -- every other week, monthly? -- but gotta start somewhere!

Just ignore the specific dates listed for now and choose the day of the week that would typically work best for you, and we can discuss times that things work best as we narrow down which days are out. Loose plan now is to leave this open until sometime after the weekend before deciding, to be sure to let everyone have a chance to see it and get a response in.

I've also listed the Discord info for the location (also available in the OP) since with the mobile app we should be able to communicate across platforms without issue.

As an aside: I'm essentially just organizing this how I always did with local D&D games so if there's better online tools for all this then I'm open to suggestions!

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Nevermind I'm dumb, when trying to join queue accidentally selected solo which I'm still low rank in. Ignore this~

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Don't forget to redeem your two random WWE rewards. Main menu -> Extras -> Redeem code and enter 'wrestlemania'

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Cool idea, hope it works out! Let me know if you want me to add anything to the OP, @JC of DI

• Options
    Until May weekends are best for me, after that I'm not sure because my work schedule will be changing. I need to find out what my 'weekend' will be.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Much appreciated @Qanamil

With enough votes to fill a lobby, Friday seems to be our winner, with Saturdays a close second!

@Sumanai is the only one I noticed who is an EU player, and mentioned in the discord that USE is playable so hopefully that's still the case (and also that you're good with staying up until about midnight eastern)?

Shall we dare aim for this Friday, the 13th for our inaugural meeting? With some mild creeping of the discord profiles I see a wide range of the US, so to accommodate evening timeframes shall we say 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern? Does that get too late to start for some folks?

All spit-balling here, so sound off if it works for y'all! If we need to end up moving it to Saturday to find a better timeframe then we sure can do that!

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    I can try to be there, but our baby tends to get cranky around that time, so no guarantees (I'm eastern until next month)

• Options
    edited April 2018
    JC of DI wrote: »
    Sumanai is the only one I noticed who is an EU player, and mentioned in the discord that USE is playable so hopefully that's still the case (and also that you're good with staying up until about midnight eastern)?

Shall we dare aim for this Friday, the 13th for our inaugural meeting? With some mild creeping of the discord profiles I see a wide range of the US, so to accommodate evening timeframes shall we say 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern? Does that get too late to start for some folks?

My schedule changed a bit since I'm studying again so I usually go to bed a bit earlier than what I announced back then... but since it's a friday night I should be able to play late for a while or until I pass out.
    Haven't tried lately but I usually had 120-ish ping on US-E, makes the ball go a bit weird sometimes but it's not a big deal since it's a friendly private match. (and makes for a good excuse when I whiff the ball :mrgreen: )
    Anyway, I'll try to be there.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    I’ll be out of town this weekend, but am putting it on the calendar for next Fri (or Sat).

Depending on how many you have, you might want to try to take over a casual server. I’m addicted to drops, so have always wanted to try that.

• Options
    dalituba wrote: »
    I’ll be out of town this weekend, but am putting it on the calendar for next Fri (or Sat).

Depending on how many you have, you might want to try to take over a casual server. I’m addicted to drops, so have always wanted to try that.

Same -- if we're all on one system then that makes it easier at least, but otherwise a private server will be the only way to really get together cross platform. I am so ready for cross-platform parties.

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I should be able to play on Friday. It’s about time I get back into some PC RL!

FYI, for those who want to do tournaments, I’m solidly in the mid-Platinum level. Decent, but I’ll still fuck up regularly enough to not get uppity about it. I’m happy to play with anyone though, I play more for fun than competitively, so I like playing with just about anyone.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    i am super competitive so if we have an odd number on Friday i will happily spectate, will most likely be there regardless

• Options
    a few juicy clips

https://gfycat.com/LavishSphericalBeauceron

this is a good flick, also a good example of play awareness. i think a lot of players would have just hit it like i had planned to do instead of coming back down for a dribble

https://gfycat.com/MeaslyTotalHoneyeater

cool air roll shot 1

https://gfycat.com/GratefulTautGalah

sideways no boost 50/50

https://gfycat.com/YellowCarelessChrysalis

this was a pretty juicy angle. air roll shots are just really satisfying

• Options
    I think the next biggest "tech" I need to work on is air rolls.

• Options
    A hotfix is going live today to solve some of the issues with the latest update. The Nintendo Switch version is going to take extra time to go through certification so cross-play will be disabled for that system until the patch is approved. I'm not 100% sure but I think that also includes private servers... bad news if anyone was thinking about playing on the Switch this friday.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So what's the plan tonight? Are we just going to meet up at 10:00 PM Eastern in the PA RL Discord?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan to me! I'll make up the lobby and post the info both in the discord and here in the thread.

Any thoughts on how to choose teams? Just let auto-select decide and shift things up from there as needed? Mutator thoughts?

Two projects and a test were due this week so ended up with less time to plan this than I had hoped, sorry!

PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Probably best to try and split the highest ranked players between teams so we dont end up having a champ/diamond vs a plat/gold for example, to even things out a bit.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Yup, if we have enough players I agree with Sumanai’s suggestion. If there are only a few of us though I’m good playing with whomever (as long as higher ranked players don’t mind teaming up with a lowly plat).

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Server up - Name: PARocket Password: Society

PJWczLu.png