As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ant Man: Something Something Size Joke Big

12345679»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ant man will bring in about 300 million or roughly twice its budget.

Ant man.

Ant man.

Frankly I have nothing but respect for Marvel being able to pull that off.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Ant man will bring in about 300 million or roughly twice its budget.

Ant man.

Ant man.

Frankly I have nothing but respect for Marvel being able to pull that off.

Especially after the production imploded two months before filming.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Summer starts on June 20th.

• Options
    Summer starts on June 20th.

Summer as it relates to the blockbuster window, starts May 1st.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oh I meant the normal seasons. You know, like the meaning people use when they say, "I'm going to take a vacation during the summer", and they mean early August, and not, say, April 3rd.

Which, coincidentally, is also the release date of Furious 7. Funny how that shows up before May 1st, though.

Anyway, Ant-Man is not a dud and didn't break any box office records but still managed to get #1 during its opening 2 weeks. Yay!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mad Max is gonna make any action movie look lame in comparison for a while

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    First third of the movie: uninteresting.

The villain feels like a lame Obadiah Stayn knockoff... Though he got better about half way through the movie.

Paul Rudd was a little on the bland side... But he got better after the 1/3rd of the way through.

The first lamb shrink test scene was utterly pointless. It was supposed to show that bald man was evil and corrupt and wanted to find the shrink stuff at any cost... When we already knew he was evil and corrupt because he killed that one guy in the bathroom earlier. The bathroom scene either should have been put after the lamb thing, or it or the 1st lamb scene should have been edited out the movie. It's inefficient cinema.

What was with that promo vid for the yellow jacket suit? It was so obviously evil it looked like it was made by Cobra. Or Hydra. Most of the guys in that room weren't Hydra, right?

Speaking of Hydra, when does this movie take place?
    Are they Grant Ward's Hydra?
    If so, that would be rad as fuck, man! I would love more interaction between the TV series and the movies.

The rest of the movie: Good.
    Good action scenes, good character development from the heroes (even if the forced romance moment at the end came out of left field), and funny comic relief and jokes. Antman actually made me give a shit about the characters unlike Guardians of the Galaxy where most of the humor felt forced and I got bored halfway through.

I was pleasantly surprised. The trailers instilled me with no confidence. Only at the advice of a friend did I decide to see it.

• Options
    Oh I meant the normal seasons. You know, like the meaning people use when they say, "I'm going to take a vacation during the summer", and they mean early August, and not, say, April 3rd.

Which, coincidentally, is also the release date of Furious 7. Funny how that shows up before May 1st, though.

Anyway, Ant-Man is not a dud and didn't break any box office records but still managed to get #1 during its opening 2 weeks. Yay!

Sorry, I thought you had originally said year, not summer.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    If so, that would be rad as fuck, man! I would love more interaction between the TV series and the movies.

Most likely yes
    They directly reference the events of Age of Ultron (ex: can't call the Avengers they are too busy dropping cities), Falcon is referred to as an Avenger, they were still looking for (and found!) Bucky, and the building that Scott infiltrated looked a lot like the building that the Avengers were working out of at the end of Age of Ultron.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    After the "no whistling" scene, did I recognize it correctly that Luis is actually whistling "It's a small world after all"?

If so, that was a very clever Disney tie-in :+1:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Most likely yes
    They directly reference the events of Age of Ultron (ex: can't call the Avengers they are too busy dropping cities), Falcon is referred to as an Avenger, they were still looking for (and found!) Bucky, and the building that Scott infiltrated looked a lot like the building that the Avengers were working out of at the end of Age of Ultron.
    I would say no. I expect the head Hydra guy was on the list Ward was handed of potential Hydra heads.
    As the guy was an original Hydra infiltrator in SHIELD I don't think he'd be working for Grant Ward as opposed to by himself.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Plus the movies exist on the shows, not vice versa pretty much.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    After the "no whistling" scene, did I recognize it correctly that Luis is actually whistling "It's a small world after all"?

If so, that was a very clever Disney tie-in :+1:

Yes he was, and yes it was!

I saw Ant-Man this week and found it thoroughly entertaining. It's not on the level of Winter Soldier or GotG but I don't think it was trying to be. It really aimed for a light entertaining low stakes origin story and nailed it. I look forward to the next one, as well as any other appearances of Ant-Man in other Marvel films.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The first lamb shrink test scene was utterly pointless. It was supposed to show that bald man was evil and corrupt and wanted to find the shrink stuff at any cost... When we already knew he was evil and corrupt because he killed that one guy in the bathroom earlier. The bathroom scene either should have been put after the lamb thing, or it or the 1st lamb scene should have been edited out the movie. It's inefficient cinema.

That scene was more about Hope realizing Darren was going crazy and to build up the conflict between her and Hank.
    What was with that promo vid for the yellow jacket suit? It was so obviously evil it looked like it was made by Cobra. Or Hydra. Most of the guys in that room weren't Hydra, right?

That's kind of how real military contractor promo videos look like.

• Options

Sorry, I thought you had originally said year, not summer.

No worries, I'm fighting off a cold, so I've been more assholey than usual.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Re: the lamb scene:
    I don't think there's anything ethically worse about killing a sheep than killing a mouse. (Or, to put it another way, I don't think it's ethically better to kill a mouse than to kill a sheep.) Sheep would be more expensive to keep on hand, is all. Then again, maybe it's easier to calibrate the shrink-ray for a larger target :P

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Calica wrote: »
    Re: the lamb scene:
    I don't think there's anything ethically worse about killing a sheep than killing a mouse. (Or, to put it another way, I don't think it's ethically better to kill a mouse than to kill a sheep.) Sheep would be more expensive to keep on hand, is all. Then again, maybe it's easier to calibrate the shrink-ray for a larger target :P
    There is the practical justification that a shrunken mouse would be even harder to see, although when you're working with massive magnifiers, you could presumably get around that easy enough.
    But yeah, they did it for the moment of 'awww- wait, what's he going to do to that?'

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    If I hadn't already told myself that I'm limiting my toy-spending cash on Amiibos and the occasional Disney Infinity figure, I'd totally pick up the "Marvel Select" Ant-Man figure. It looks really damn nice.

6101047451766-3?$yetidetail$

6101047451766-1?$yetidetail$

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    he's already so small why make one of his little extras an even smaller version?!

This is like ashtrays on airplane seats!

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    he's already so small why make one of his little extras an even smaller version?!

This is like ashtrays on airplane seats!

I guess in case you're displaying him with other figures and what a shrunk version for scale....though even then it's not small enough.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mrs. Rhesus was really scoffing at the lamb scene: "Oh, I bet you eat lamb, though, don't you Hope?"

I agree that we already knew that the dude was evil - either go all out and show him experimenting on prisoners who signed up for medical testing for a shorter sentence, or leave it out.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I saw it last night. It was pretty good, though at times it felt like an Edgar Wright movie that had been smoothed out into a less interesting shape.

Evangeline's Lilly's shoulders and upper arms were a sight to behold.

• Options
    Mrs. Rhesus was really scoffing at the lamb scene: "Oh, I bet you eat lamb, though, don't you Hope?"

I agree that we already knew that the dude was evil - either go all out and show him experimenting on prisoners who signed up for medical testing for a shorter sentence, or leave it out.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but that scene was for Hope as much as the audience. Just one more mark in the this guy is losing it column. She didn't see the previous evil scene, though yeah, lamb doesn't really compare.

• Options
    On the second viewing, I noticed the "The particles are affecting your brain chemistry" line from Hope was quite obviously an ADR line.

I wonder why they couldn't just let Cross be a crazy fuck just because he's a crazy fuck and had to try to explain it instead.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    With Ant-man being a hit Peyton Reed should get the first shot at Fantastic Four if, or when, Marvel gets it back in their clutches. They can have Captain America cameo to joke about being the Human Torch.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Marvel's schedule is too full for a Fantastic Four movie. Plus it would be another excuse for Feige to push back Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

• Options
    Nobody gives a shit about Fantastic Four.

• Options
    Marvels schedule is pretty much a void after Infinity War, so getting FF would be perfect. They're not going to get it before then, anyway, so it works out.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Marvel's schedule is too full for a Fantastic Four movie. Plus it would be another excuse for Feige to push back Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

They don't have to do it immediately. They've been sitting on Ghost Rider and Blade for years but they'll do something eventually.

Nobody gave a shit about Captain America before The First Avenger either. Marvel's built their brand on doing that, their entire line-up is filled with characters like that, including Ant-man. They're a good IP which has been handled badly by Fox, in the hands of people who know what they're doing it'd be amazing. To this date the best FF movie adaption is - The Incredibles. If Brad Bird wasn't busy they should give him a call once they get the rights back.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I'd much rather see them take risks and tell new/interesting stories with lesser-known IP than trying to reboot franchises like FF and Spiderman over and over and over again. Like, seriously, they went into space and got powers. Doctor Doom is a jealous egomaniac.

I don't want to be all poopy on the parade and stuff, but speaking as someone who just wants to see good movies, the premise of rebooting FF yet again strikes me as zzzzzzzzzz. I'm 100% sure I'm not alone in this sentiment, and it's a pretty big hurdle to overcome when you could just wait a bit, make other movies instead, and then give it a fresh start instead of trying to shoehorn the (recasted and yet exactly the same) characters into an already-sprawling universe.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Moved to the appropriate thread.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There are interesting things that you can do with the Fantastic Four if you're willing to seriously screw around with canon.

Start with a movie where Reed and Victor are initially good friends, have a falling out, and at the end Doom apparently dies.

Then do a sequel where Doom is the villain again, somehow. Reveal at the end that not only is Doom unknowingly a robot, the only memories of his that completely match the real past are ones where Reed was present.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

That's not only factually inaccurate, it's a ridiculous side to take in a discussion.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Who was the guy that offered 20% of Cross's asking price for the Yellowjacket suit?