As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"I said come in! Don't just stand there!" (S.T.A.L.K. T.A.L.K.)

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Stupid 3-character minimum for posts.

EDIT: Gah.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Where can I get the latest patch? The link in the OP only had up to .0005 listed.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Where can I get the latest patch? The link in the OP only had up to .0005 listed.

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/STALKER_SoC_10006_World_Patch;87746

Xtarath on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Hah. I just happened to fraps a dog running into a whirligig.

Bet you wish you weren't blind now

Echo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean, the dude bought an obokan... You can get like 20 obokans in Agroprom, not long after the game's start.
    Srsly.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought one of these:
    800px-SA-80_rifle_1996.jpg

I've had the various permutations of AK's since the start, I wanted something to trade up to, especially since the Oblivion Lost mod removes that little zoom you get from shouldering your weapon. It was either I drop some cash on that, or drop some cash on one of the less fancy guns the raiding Duty guys dropped to get it repaired and for ammo.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That one is ahorrible weapon IMO

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Wooh, bugged quests.

Accepted the "kill the sniper" quest from Skull, then decided to go tattle to the Freedom guys to get on their good side. Sniper is still hostile to me.

I squeal on Skull's gang, get the mission to go kill them with a Freedom squad.

Right after the Duty deserters die, their mission fails. Somehow this makes all of Freedom go hostile on me. Lots of reloading couldn't solve this no matter what.

Ah well, guess I'll have to wipe out Freedom then.

The more scripting a quest has, the more likely it will fail and criminally so.

Having said that, I prefer to lead the Freedom squad to their doom first - they generally don't stand a chance against the Duty squad without you - then ask about Duty's little errand. Thins out the herd inside the base and doesn't set Freedom to hostile until after you start firing.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Huh, I didn't recall there being Steyr Augs in the game. Neat, I guess.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hah. I just happened to fraps a dog running into a whirligig.

Bet you wish you weren't blind now
    Pics or it didn't happen! :P

Sorenson on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Are there any co-op mods for this game?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    There's one in the works, but I think it's stalling at the moment.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    There's one in the works, but I think it's stalling at the moment.

Darn, I was really hoping. Oh well.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yes, coop + oblivion lost would be pretty delicious. If only because we could use flanking shit on the enemy for once.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Not to mention the increased loot muling. And the murdering your friends so that you get dibs on the high-powered rifle you just found.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    AFAIK there aren't any. BlindPsychic's pic displays the L85, which is the AR currently in service in the British Army. Can't remember if it's called that in-game though :P

And no, it's not a very good weapon, in-game or IRL.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    You could just use an AK47 with a scope.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    AFAIK there aren't any. BlindPsychic's pic displays the L85, which is the AR currently in service in the British Army. Can't remember if it's called that in-game though :P

And no, it's not a very good weapon, in-game or IRL.
    I don't even know why you'd use like 80% of the guns in the game anyway. You usually wind up running into replacements fast enough that you usually don't have to buy anything. For example, a typical run sees me going:

starter pistol > sawn-off shotty > over-under shotty from the trader ('cause that thing is just classy) > MP5 > AK-74 carbine > AK-74 Full > Fast AK > Akaban > those grey 5.56 ARs the mercs in Wild Territory use > FN-2000, with a Winchester and a Flash Rifle for when I need close-in and sniping capabilities respectively.

I have been contemplating a Grenade Launcher Only run, though. That could be fun.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So if I download this off of steam, can I still mod it and shtuff?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A-yup, although you might have to do a bit of work to keep it from going to 1.6 (fuck the extra 0s) since that's what most of the major mods use.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Cold KoalaCold Koala Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    But why wouldn't you use the G36? Or the Vintorez? Or the Groza? Or the other gun that fires PAB-9s? There's one in the game that has a sniper scope attachment, which makes it awesome.

This run I just completed used pistol > sawn-off > mp5 > over-under > fast AK or over-under with slugs > high-level guns, of which I carried around too many and switched at whim.

The Dragunov sniper rifles are fun too.

Oh and there's nothing like taking out a fully armored Monolith or Duty badass with a pistol. I recommend the Sig Sauer.

I had forgotten that I actually had found quite a few additional RPGs and rounds later in the game on a previous game. I'm forgetting their locations again now, but here's what I remember from this playthrough.
    Tons of them at the final portal-hopping battle. There are several guys firing them, after all.

Pripyat, in the stadium. Three guys on the opposite end from where you enter, each possessing one or two rounds.

In the Brain Scorcher area, a Monolith soldier has one. He's at a roadblock, near an observation tower.

Pripyat, on top of a circular construction that I absolutely cannot get to even when I get on the wall that runs up to it.

God, I know there were more. Can't remember though.
    goggles wrote: »
    Why why why did I accept the mission to clear out the Bloodsucker lair from hunter?!

I don't think I've ever said "fuck me" so many times in a row.

:winky:

Cold Koala on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm switching between the SA80 and this sweet ass nade launcher obakan that I added a silencer and scope to, problem is my ammo is split between them, I don't I have a lot of either anymore. I sold the H&K PDW and I'm using the Desert Eagle, man it doesn't do shit but its so loud its good at scaring the dogs away atleast.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'd like my silenced sniper rifle more if the bullets didn't travel so slow that I'd have to get out and push.

Echo on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can't get Fraps to record sound. :x

Echo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm switching between the SA80 and this sweet ass nade launcher obakan that I added a silencer and scope to, problem is my ammo is split between them, I don't I have a lot of either anymore. I sold the H&K PDW and I'm using the Desert Eagle, man it doesn't do shit but its so loud its good at scaring the dogs away atleast.

You can get TR-301's by the cartload in the Wild territories, and they all come with scopes, and they're a lot better than that brit piece of shit you spent moneys on.

The only gun worth buying is the over-under.

forget the rest.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So the Black Kite on Gordon Freeman, how would you guys rate this pistol? I'm keeping it, if only because there's something wrong about more damage in your pistol then assault rifle.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes, it's powerful, but that gun has a range measured in inches. Stick with one of the .45 guns, like the USP or Sig, they're the best pistols overall.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Currently my pistol of choice is a silenced Beretta. Are the .45 guns better?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    So the Black Kite on Gordon Freeman, how would you guys rate this pistol? I'm keeping it, if only because there's something wrong about more damage in your pistol then assault rifle.

Nice damage, meh on the accuracy and rate of fire. Still, a worthy sidearm if you've got a VLA or Tunder; shared ammo load is a great way to keep the weight down, on the few occasions you get to do so. If you're after a .45, the UDP compact trades per-shot damage for better handling.

My last playthrough I got my hands on a Martha (Beretta) and kept that 'till the end of the game. The larger mag and better accuracy made it good for suppression and emergencies (I.E. my shotgun just jammed and I need this guy dead yesterday).

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, I'm going to clear out the lair of bloodsuckers, but I see the duty patrol, blah blah, now I need to kill a sniper or talk to freedom boss. I'm not sure what the perks are of each besides siding with Duty gets me Freedom's stuff. Or that the people in Freedom aren't dicks.(Sorry Dutyers) Is there anything really diffrent about them, or are they mostly the same?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My only problem with the pistols in this game is for the most part it takes the same amount of time to reload your main weapon if its an assault rifle or smg as it does to get the pistol out and cock it, so there is really never a need to switch to the pistol in the middle of a fight.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    My only problem with the pistols in this game is for the most part it takes the same amount of time to reload your main weapon if its an assault rifle or smg as it does to get the pistol out and cock it, so there is really never a need to switch to the pistol in the middle of a fight.

I'm always using my pistol to conserve ammo.

BTW, is it true what someone else posted above, that using a loud gun like the Deagle will scare away dogs just from the sound?

subedii on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What's the "over-under"?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »

I'm always using my pistol to conserve ammo.

BTW, is it true what someone else posted above, that using a loud gun like the Deagle will scare away dogs just from the sound?
    I've noticed that firing the over under into the air near a pack of dogs can make them scatter.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What's your mobo? I know I can't get it to record audio either and it's because Asus P5-E boards don't have the ability to record internal audio.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    What's the "over-under"?
    The over-under shotgun, it's from the trader in Gordon, I think it's in Oblivion Lost only, it's the same shotgun the dude is using in one of the Clear Skies videos, and I love it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What's your mobo? I know I can't get it to record audio either and it's because Asus P5-E boards don't have the ability to record internal audio.

Yep, that's the one I got.

Echo on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does OL disable multiplayer or something?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Does OL disable multiplayer or something?
    Well, I don't exactly imagine Stalker likes the idea of playing multiplayer with modded files as there's probably some security checker thing looking for cheaters and the like. So yes, OL is pretty much a single-player experience.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

EDIT: Echo: one thing you could try doing is running some split wires between the sound ports on the back of the machine. A 2 male/1 female splitter and a 2 female/one male splitter would give you enough ports to hook up speakers and mic and then run a feed from audio out to the microphone port.

Sorenson on
This discussion has been closed.