As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speedrunning through the [Trans Thread] in less than twelve parsecs

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I started taking my hormones today!!!!

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    i am going to go insane waiting for the call back from my blood test

picking up girl pills on my way home oh god oh man oh jeez oh god!!

If girl pills are like sugar pills I'd check their ingredients list. You only want grass fed organic girl pills, when available.

What if they also contain spice and everything nice

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Haha, did that guy seriously say "Hey guys it's cool Marsha is in the movie played by this cis dude."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yep! He sure did

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm honestly starting to believe that some people just don't believe in gender and don't understand that biological sex is really just a guessing game unless you've done actual, like, genetic testing on the individual.

Like they look down and go "yep, a penis, there is a 100% chance this person is XY male. Case closed."

and

just

no

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    ameybes wrote: »
    Working out how to do stubble cover took me the longest time; turns out the red lipstick method is OK, but for me using a focused dumping of pinkish blush on trouble spots before going over it with foundation is most effective.

What is the red lipstick method?

(I am totally asking because my friend bought me some nice red lipstick last week)

EDIT: Oh hi google! I guess search engines exist! :P

Neco on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm honestly starting to believe that some people just don't believe in gender and don't understand that biological sex is really just a guessing game unless you've done actual, like, genetic testing on the individual.

Like they look down and go "yep, a penis, there is a 100% chance this person is XY male. Case closed."

and

just

no

This isn't physiologically accurate, but I like to think of our brains like an electronic storage system. Everyone allocates a certain about of "brain space" to a given subject. When presented with information that exceeds that available space, you have to make more space for that subject, or else the brain just sort of refuses to file the new information. Most people devote very little space toward understanding personal identity, and gender and sexuality in particular. There's basically just enough room there to internalize the super-simple concepts they learned when they were, like, 4--boys have penises, girls have vaginas. Having never had a personally-compelling reason to challenge that, they've never bothered to make more room in that part of their brain for a more complicated explanation, so when you try to tell them about it, on some level they just refuse to process that information. And, I mean, it's a tough subject to push, too. I'm almost always pretty eager to make more space in my brain for pretty much any subject, and I still had a hell of a time properly processing those distinctions.

I think what makes me maddest about it all is how people seem to insist on being able to "get it" before they'll accept it. Especially if they claim to be religious, since religion is all about accepting things you don't fully understand. Why is it important that they, personally, understand someone else's gender identity? If they say this is who they are as a person, just take them at their word.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Basically gender and sex are synonyms to the general public.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

When I was growing up, I thought that "gender" was a word made up so that people could talk about girls v boys without having to say

<.<

>.>
    sex

*giggle*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

and

just

no

This isn't physiologically accurate, but I like to think of our brains like an electronic storage system. Everyone allocates a certain about of "brain space" to a given subject. When presented with information that exceeds that available space, you have to make more space for that subject, or else the brain just sort of refuses to file the new information. Most people devote very little space toward understanding personal identity, and gender and sexuality in particular. There's basically just enough room there to internalize the super-simple concepts they learned when they were, like, 4--boys have penises, girls have vaginas. Having never had a personally-compelling reason to challenge that, they've never bothered to make more room in that part of their brain for a more complicated explanation, so when you try to tell them about it, on some level they just refuse to process that information. And, I mean, it's a tough subject to push, too. I'm almost always pretty eager to make more space in my brain for pretty much any subject, and I still had a hell of a time properly processing those distinctions.

I think what makes me maddest about it all is how people seem to insist on being able to "get it" before they'll accept it. Especially if they claim to be religious, since religion is all about accepting things you don't fully understand. Why is it important that they, personally, understand someone else's gender identity? If they say this is who they are as a person, just take them at their word.

I never quite...'get' I guess people who have to "get it". People like to go on and on with "Well what would you say if you were a doctor and blah blah stupid shit blah blah" like, it's not that hard and also none of these dumb overly contrived hypothetical situations will ever occur in anyone's life. I'm a pretty generic white cis guy, and I doubt I'll ever really have a great idea what idenfitying as non-bianary or trans or whatever genuinely feels like, but it just kinda...doesn't matter? Frankly I couldn't give two shits how someone choses to present or what their prefered prounous are or whatever other imagined problem people like to come up with to explain why it's SUPER IMPORTANT to have words to describe trans people instead of 'normal' people.

It has no impact whatsoever on my daily life, it affects me in essentially no way at all. I will just never understand why people care and it dissappoints me that there are all these people out there actively fighting against allowing people to be themselves. I want to live in a world where holding the opinion of "I don't know, who cares." isn't part of the problem. I wish I could just be like "I call everybody dude, my wife included." and not have it get lumped in with all these people trying to undermine identies and instead just be someone who has functionally swapped out 'you/they' for 'dude' in how they talk. Just like, why do you care sooooo much about this thing that has nothing to do with you? Why?

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options

When I was growing up, I thought that "gender" was a word made up so that people could talk about girls v boys without having to say

<.<

>.>
    sex

*giggle*

superthumb.jpg

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Man dissolving pills under your tongue is a hassle!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options

and

just

no

I never quite...'get' I guess people who have to "get it". People like to go on and on with "Well what would you say if you were a doctor and blah blah stupid shit blah blah" like, it's not that hard and also none of these dumb overly contrived hypothetical situations will ever occur in anyone's life. I'm a pretty generic white cis guy, and I doubt I'll ever really have a great idea what idenfitying as non-bianary or trans or whatever genuinely feels like, but it just kinda...doesn't matter? Frankly I couldn't give two shits how someone choses to present or what their prefered prounous are or whatever other imagined problem people like to come up with to explain why it's SUPER IMPORTANT to have words to describe trans people instead of 'normal' people.

It has no impact whatsoever on my daily life, it affects me in essentially no way at all. I will just never understand why people care and it dissappoints me that there are all these people out there actively fighting against allowing people to be themselves. I want to live in a world where holding the opinion of "I don't know, who cares." isn't part of the problem. I wish I could just be like "I call everybody dude, my wife included." and not have it get lumped in with all these people trying to undermine identies and instead just be someone who has functionally swapped out 'you/they' for 'dude' in how they talk. Just like, why do you care sooooo much about this thing that has nothing to do with you? Why?

I use "dude" pretty generically too, but I've been trying to train myself away from that because I know some people still see it as a gendered term (because, well, it technically still is) and I really don't want to unintentionally insult someone with it. It's not on them to know how I intended it, and I certainly don't want to contribute to someone else having a shitty day because of something I said.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

at least they only dissolve men

• Options

at least they only dissolve men

not all men

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I call everyone dude. Literally everyone.

When I was in fourth or fifth grade someone insisted to me that "dude" meant "donkey penis".

I have no idea if that's true, but it's been a really difficult thought to get rid of for some reason.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    The original meaning was roughly analogous to "dandy" or "city slicker". Hence the term "dude ranch" for a ranch meant more for tourist attraction than actual ranching.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I say "you dudes" because english sucks at collective nouns

I could say "you people" which is awful

"you guys" which is, to me, much more obviously gendered

or "You all/yall" which I do use sometimes but will get made fun of for which is stupid

But if someone asks me not to use dude because they feel its gendered I will try not to use it for them

In my head it is not gendered, though I know that doesn't really matter

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I call everyone dude. Literally everyone.

When I was in fourth or fifth grade someone insisted to me that "dude" meant "donkey penis".

I have no idea if that's true, but it's been a really difficult thought to get rid of for some reason.

As a kid I was told it meant " an ingrown hair on an elephant."

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

I say you people and you folks

it feels clumsy at first but it swiftly turns into just another phrase

or "You all/yall" which I do use sometimes but will get made fun of for which is stupid

Snax that is monstrous you all is just the funnest thing to say you tell them to go to hell

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I say "you dudes" because english sucks at collective nouns

"you guys" which is, to me, much more obviously gendered

But if someone asks me not to use dude because they feel its gendered I will try not to use it for them

In my head it is not gendered, though I know that doesn't really matter

I use y'all pretty often these days. If someone tries to make fun of me for it, I'll make fun of them back for thinking there's anything wrong with it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I mean if someone says "don't" I try really hard not to, it's just very difficult for me to break speech habits, which is why I still use a word so often that everyone else let go of when I was eleven. :P

• Options
    You would like the Doomtown card game since "Dude" is the word for you characters and it includes women.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I have replaced "dudes" with "peeps" because of previous incarnations of this thread.

I've also stopped saying "go nuts" for similar reasons. "Fill your boots" is less problematic and more folksy.

• Options
    I actually always have to make a conscious effort not to just default to saying "you guys" even though I know better.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

and

just

no

This is an interesting thought to me - I'd assumed that biological sex was more a matter of the reproductive organs one possesses than genetics. A person with ambiguous genitals obviously doesn't fit in the male/female binary, but would, for example, a person with Klinefelter Syndrome (XXY) be considered male with a genetic abnormality, or would they be in a category of their own?

I guess the question I'm asking here is, what does the term "biological sex" actually mean, and why does it mean that? Gender is social and fluid, but biology is objective. (We might not have sufficient terms or knowledge for every case, but a body is what it is at any given time.) So do we identify sex by chromosomes in order to provide better medical care, or what?

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Y'all is pretty great to use to refer to a general group.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

That is actually one I have been gravitating towards, which feels weird since I have never lived in area that used that term before. But I like it anyway.

• Options
    edited August 2015

as is you movie stars, you rock bands and you fuzzy puppies

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Calica wrote: »

and

just

no

This is an interesting thought to me - I'd assumed that biological sex was more a matter of the reproductive organs one possesses than genetics. A person with ambiguous genitals obviously doesn't fit in the male/female binary, but would, for example, a person with Klinefelter Syndrome (XXY) be considered male with a genetic abnormality, or would they be in a category of their own?

I guess the question I'm asking here is, what does the term "biological sex" actually mean, and why does it mean that? Gender is social and fluid, but biology is objective. (We might not have sufficient terms or knowledge for every case, but a body is what it is at any given time.) So do we identify sex by chromosomes in order to provide better medical care, or what?

It's questions exactly like this that point out why the concept of "biological sex" is absurd to begin with. In most situations, it's entirely irrelevant to anything, and in the situations where genetics matter, what's important is specific enough to the individual, that having predefined categories isn't really useful--you just want the raw data anyway. There are few, if any cases, where "biologically ______" is a useful or necessary thing to know about a person.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

That is actually one I have been gravitating towards, which feels weird since I have never lived in area that used that term before. But I like it anyway.

If you want to get into advanced usage, try using "All y'all"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I definitely use dude non-gendered. I mean I'm not Spicolli all duding left and right, but is a long standing part of my lexicon that is hard to shake.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean if someone says "don't" I try really hard not to, it's just very difficult for me to break speech habits, which is why I still use a word so often that everyone else let go of when I was eleven. :P

Yeah I'm not like an obstinent jackwagon on it or anything who REFUSES to not use it, I just wish that people constantly misgendering and otherwise being jerks on purpose didn't happen so that we'd all be free to all be call and be called dude without hurting people.
    You would like the Doomtown card game since "Dude" is the word for you characters and it includes women.

Buying that

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Like most people around here, I've always said "you guys" for the plural of "you."

Yup.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I usually don't use "dude" anymore unless it is not really directed at anyone IE "Dude, wtf??" at a video game or something. Having said that, other than that weird time in the 80's when people said "dudettes", I've never really thought of the word as particularly gendered. Though I do avoid calling people that because it IS often gendered.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just call everyone 'homps'. That was pretty popular around these parts a while back, but went out of style almost as fast as 'broham', 'brodysseus', 'brosepheles', and their ilk.

• Options
    I think I could live a long happy life without ever hearing the word "homp" again.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I use y'all proudly.

• Options
    I use y'all proudly.

Further, I use "all y'all" as the plural form.

• Options
    all y'all is the legitimate best

This discussion has been closed.