Options

Speedrunning through the [Trans Thread] in less than twelve parsecs

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Why are people so fuckin unwilling to accept that some people's identities and experiences are different than theirs, and that this doesn't invalidate those experiences?

I just... I keep trying to make these people understand and they just ain't hearin it.

I think I'm losing my faith in humanity again, y'all. Like, Buddhism has taught me that everyone is capable of love, of compassion and understanding and that... but these fools are doin their best to prove that shit wrong and I think it might be starting to work.

Should I keep fighting the good fight or should I just bow out and let people be ignorant? I honestly don't know what to do here.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    No one can be ignorant forever.
    Eventually we all die.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    I was feeling terrible and then posted pictures of myself on Twitter and people said I was pretty

Thanks, Twitter

I suggest posting pictures so I can say you're pretty (because you are, no matter what)

I dunno...

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    I am happy to be back from that whole thing, but the good stuff involved minigolf, dinner and the Wright Brothers' memorial!

The secret is that the only people I went to those with, happened to be the only people who know about my life stuff. Amounts to two but they are an awesome brother and mom. My extended family who greatly outnumbered us ranged from honest ignorance and smug ignorance, to outright scary hatred.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm glad you made it home safe!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Speed I have seen significantly prettier pictures of you

sorry you're feeling down though :(

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Whippy wrote: »
    I was feeling terrible and then posted pictures of myself on Twitter and people said I was pretty

Thanks, Twitter

I suggest posting pictures so I can say you're pretty (because you are, no matter what)

I dunno...

I TAKE IT BACK

• Options
    Does that need a :wink: I can't tell

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    No I think you're good, but it could use some devils here and there, maybe like 10 or 20 imo

• Options
    :so_raven:

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I just assume that all of Whippy's posts have an implied :winky:

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    :Whinky:

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm considering asking my endo for something to increase libido

I worry that the solution would be some amount of testosterone

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Has any screening of the movie taken place yet?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Knowing nothing about the characters in the film, is he mis-labelling transgender characters as transvestites?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The people who's story the movie claims to be telling are transgender, yes.

I actually have a question regarding a term. I'm putting it in spoilers since I know it might be offfensive
    What are thoughts on the term transsexual? Is it offensive, just inaccurate? When you compare it to hetero- or homosexual, it feels inaccurate at best.

Or maybe it's just plain antiquated?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Gender is not sexuality, so "transsexual" doesn't even make sense in my mind

It seems like an artifact borne from the belief structure that says that your bits determine your gender, or that somehow your gender identity and your sexuality are explicitly linked, neither of which is correct

• Options
    I don't know if it's offensive, but I know that I don't really like it because it doesn't accurately define who i am? Plus it just sounds...wrong, I guess.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »

It seems like an artifact borne from the belief structure that says that your bits determine your gender, or that somehow your gender identity and your sexuality are explicitly linked, neither of which is correct

Similarly, the word homosexual means you like humans, doesn't it? English has gotten really stupid with trying to mix Latin, Greek and English words and word parts together, and the meanings are being lost in it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Similarly, the word homosexual means you like humans, doesn't it? English has gotten really stupid with trying to mix Latin, Greek and English words and word parts together, and the meanings are being lost in it.

Nope, homo- as used in homosexual is a prefix which means "same" rather than homo the standalone word which refers to humanity

Same goes for hetero- as used in heterosexual which is a prefix for different or other

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

From a purely linguistic standpoint, "homo" has separate usage in Greek and Latin. The Greek version wouldn't be seen as a solitary word, it's a prefix (ὅμο-). This is why it prefixes words like homogeneous, homophone, homosexual. The Latin word "homo" does indeed mean human being.

• Options
    So when someone calls me a homo, I can just be like, "Yo, you too brah!" and fistbump them?

:bro:

• Options
    i am going to go insane waiting for the call back from my blood test

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I hate waiting for test results, it's a goddamn nightmare

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Just got my blood drawn (luckily they got the vein the first time) and just got my pills.

Unluckily I'm feeling pretty sick :?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Booo

Feel better!!!!

• Options

picking up girl pills on my way home oh god oh man oh jeez oh god!!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    There is a local free newspaper that comes through my letterbox, it aims to focus on diverse issues that the main media overlooks, so has a lot of articles about minorities and their accomplishments in the local area (their tag line is 'Bad News Sells, Good News Inspires') and in their latest issue had a big section on transgender people and their issues and I thought that was pretty cool.

• Options

If girl pills are like sugar pills I'd check their ingredients list. You only want grass fed organic girl pills, when available.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

If girl pills are like sugar pills I'd check their ingredients list. You only want grass fed organic girl pills, when available.

Just like girl scout cookies.

• Options
    makeup is super intimidating! My sister gave me a bunch of stuff and i have no idea where to even start.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    makeup is super intimidating! My sister gave me a bunch of stuff and i have no idea where to even start.
    YouTube.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm going to be using my new nail polish this weekend for the first time ever Betgirl, so, we can be awful at makeup buds. ^.^

• Options
    <3

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Working out how to do stubble cover took me the longest time; turns out the red lipstick method is OK, but for me using a focused dumping of pinkish blush on trouble spots before going over it with foundation is most effective.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

The biggest breakthrough I had with makeup was realizing that there's not strictly a "right" way to do it - your face is a canvas, so really it's up to you to make it look how you want. Youtube is a good resource for finding techniques that accomplish that goal, as well as learning the subtle tricks that really enhance a look (frex, using a little bit of foundation or light powder to "open" your eyes after putting on eyeliner and mascara).

It's still intimidating, as there are a lot of complex ideas involved in makeup thanks to different facial structures and all sorts of other things, but realizing that there's not a regimented structure to "how makeup works" helped me get into it comfortably.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Free reply for when someone expects you to educate them for free: "These are simple questions for Google's tireless neural network to answer."

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    So I've been doing that thing called moving, which has necessitated moving heavy things around for several days, and I notice myself acting more masculine in association with that, like some part of my brain is still hard-wired `you are lugging shit around be a dude'.

I don't mind it as much as I thought I would, which I dunno does that mean I'm less binary trans that I thought or is this behaviour just a relic of a past life? The downside is I am pretty sure its affecting my passability, which is problematic.

There's no question attached to this, its just a quandary that I am not sure what to do with.

This discussion has been closed.