As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: There Are Only Two Kinds

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Dragon Fin Soup looks like it has a lot going on, I'm not sure whether or not I'd dig it

But it's free, and I love the art style, so I'll definitely give that a try

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    I don't know where else to put this, but Neko Atsume is in English now with a translation by 8-4 and while I'll miss the mystery a bit now I can actually tell what each kitty's favorite toys are and yaaaaaaay.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If Dragon Fin Soup is not a high fantasy cooking game then I have no interest in it

So basically Battle Chef Brigade

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    FUCK the isaac expansion deleted my save

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I think someone in the Isaac thread mentioned that the expansion doesn't directly carry the save over, there's an import option in the menu.
    Though they also said it seems to be not converting everything correctly (like forgetting the did the dark room with Judas or whatever).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    Look for a button that lets you import

I haven't played it yet but I heard there is one

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    But La-Mulana has some really good jumps

it's not full control and it's still really satisfying

the big frustration with movement is that every point of damage will send you flying backwards no matter what with no possible saves

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    Look for a button that lets you import

I haven't played it yet but I heard there is one

well that's goddamn weird

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    So indivisable is releasing their demo on PS4. Potential game changer?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    NeoToma wrote: »

Naw, I'm sure it will run quite similarly to the PC build.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    WordLust wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

You get a double jump and some claws that let you grab onto and kick off walls.

Those + the faster movement boots really up your mobility.

There are still some real asshole jumps, but its La-Mulana so of course their are.

Hmm. I don't know if that would ease my suffering. The problem I have with the jumping in games like La Mulana, Volgarr, and Ghouls n' Ghosts has more to do with their physics. I prefer a metroidvania with more traditional Mario-style jumping, which means I maintain control of horizontal movement at all times--even during jumps. In fact, Miyamoto did that on purpose specifically BECAUSE it is annoying to lose it during jumps. But in a Ghouls n' Ghosts style game, once you press the jump button, you don't get horizontal control back until your feet are back on the ground. In the worst cases, the jumping only has two directions---either straight up with no horizontal speed, or to the left/right with a predetermined horizontal speed/distance, which means you always have to jump from a sort of predetermined distance for accurate jumps.

The double jump might help a LITTLE if the second jump allows you to change direction mid-flight, but it's really that complete loss of horizontal control during jumps that gives me a headache.

One of the items let's you move around when you jump as well if I recall.

allow me to confirm
    that there is no such item
    jump with determination, la-mulanites

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    BlueBlue wrote: »

There are still some real asshole jumps, but its La-Mulana so of course their are.

Hmm. I don't know if that would ease my suffering. The problem I have with the jumping in games like La Mulana, Volgarr, and Ghouls n' Ghosts has more to do with their physics. I prefer a metroidvania with more traditional Mario-style jumping, which means I maintain control of horizontal movement at all times--even during jumps. In fact, Miyamoto did that on purpose specifically BECAUSE it is annoying to lose it during jumps. But in a Ghouls n' Ghosts style game, once you press the jump button, you don't get horizontal control back until your feet are back on the ground. In the worst cases, the jumping only has two directions---either straight up with no horizontal speed, or to the left/right with a predetermined horizontal speed/distance, which means you always have to jump from a sort of predetermined distance for accurate jumps.

The double jump might help a LITTLE if the second jump allows you to change direction mid-flight, but it's really that complete loss of horizontal control during jumps that gives me a headache.

allow me to confirm

He seems to do it several times in this video (spoilers for the last area in the game):

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    The boots increase movement speed so you can jump a bit further, and the feather lets you double jump. If you're moving and jumping there is no air control, your jump arc will be in whatever direction you are headed. If you jump straight up once you reach the apex of your jump you can move slightly to the left or right as you fall.

Then there's the gloves, which let you stick to a wall and jump off of it, but you can't gain height this way since the jump is to the side arcing downwards. Well, unless you don't hit the jump button at the right time when you let go of the wall-grab button. Then you just fall straight down.

The movement in La Mulana is incredibly precise, but also doesn't give you many options or flexibility. You have to know what you want to do ahead of time then commit to it. It's a rough game.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Jumping into a wall cancels out your dedication to the jump, a quirk of the engine you are required to know to pass some of the jump challenges of the game

I also apparently have to watch this guy's video on the not easy part of Hell Temple

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Jumping into a wall cancels out your dedication to the jump, a quirk of the engine you are required to know to pass some of the jump challenges of the game

I also apparently have to watch this guy's video on the not easy part of Hell Temple

Hehehehe poor Deceased Crab.

He's done hell temple 3 times now. Twice in the original game and once in the remake.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Walking Simulator
    His first La Mulana LP is the first one I ever watched, and is the entire reason why I played and love that game.

I can not even imagine going into that game blind. Holy shit, that would be a nightmare.

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Aistan wrote: »
    His first La Mulana LP is the first one I ever watched, and is the entire reason why I played and love that game.

I can not even imagine going into that game blind. Holy shit, that would be a nightmare.

i am super excited for going into the sequel blind

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    They are apparently trying to make 2 less obtuse, so I am as well.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    The fucking hellshaft on the second to last level of Hell Temple

and the diabolical Witch Platform puzzle after it is the true evil nightmare of sin that defies all decency

and the trap in the VERY LAST ROOM christ

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia

allow me to confirm

He seems to do it several times in this video (spoilers for the last area in the game):

Oh god, he's got one of those voices. You know, those voices.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia

if the vita EX version is any indication of their ability, they can certainly do it
    just limiting the branching paths at certain points and making a bigger deal out of certain puzzles helps a huge difference at avoiding the "ok i solved it...what did i that do" which causes so much backtracking if you blink

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Pander to Nostalgia

if the vita EX version is any indication of their ability, they can certainly do it
    just limiting the branching paths at certain points and making a bigger deal out of certain puzzles helps a huge difference at avoiding the "ok i solved it...what did i that do" which causes so much backtracking if you blink

I did not know that the Vita version was a remix.

Guess there are 5 Vita games I want now.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia

I did not know that the Vita version was a remix.

Guess there are 5 Vita games I want now.

Main draw is the bestiary imo

Wouldn't say remix but there's a bunch of small changes - for instance sign arrows at the start indicating you can go left, bunch of compasses have changed rooms, some puzzles have more requirements which can throw you off if you're just muscle memorying through it - I actually thought I had softlocked the game a bunch of times because it was something like "reading this tablet was required now"

Bunch of things stand out more too - the infinity symbol that appears in that one room is now pitch black and appears with a huge white flash instead of subtly fading to slightly darkened

One of the aspect ratio masks now has the number symbols listed in order in it

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Has there ever been, like a zelda/metroidvania, that wasn't fully linear?

Like, each area still has it's puzzles, but instead of needing 1 specific thing to pass the area, you could solve various ways in with various items. I'm kinda stumped on how to describe what I mean.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia

Like, each area still has it's puzzles, but instead of needing 1 specific thing to pass the area, you could solve various ways in with various items. I'm kinda stumped on how to describe what I mean.

Lots of them.

They're just not always intended to be that way.

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia

LaMulana has bosses that opens up paths, but you could theoretically kill the bosses in any order if you know the routes well enough

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    "non-linear" and "multiple puzzle solutions" aren't really the same thing, too - link between worlds is non-linear, but each dungeon still has an item that you'll want to bring to it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Wayforward's 2009 mobile game "Lit" is now available for free

• Options
    Walking Simulator

Ittle Dew does this reasonably well, as I recall.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Walking Simulator
    Huh, the post I was commenting on disappeared. Weird.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-5kvqZBRVg

I can confirm that this is how games are made

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    NeoToma wrote: »

I reallllllly hope this gets it the exposure to push it past the line

• Options
    i think the more prominent takeaway from that is that sony likely has their eye on it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Walking Simulator
    So I didn't realize until I beat the game and was still at 84% completion that the store in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse sold attack upgrades. I was wondering why the game seemed hard as hell.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Apparently Microsoft was also open to letting Lab Zero put the prototype up on Xbox, but the porting process wouldn't be as easy since Lab Zero already had experience porting Skullgirls to PS4

They just didn't have enough time to port to Xbox

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I simultaneously love and hate FTL. I keep coming back to it and then I throw my monitor out the window.

But that's true of a lot of Roguelikes. Dungeons of Dredmor has got my attention for now. Lord Dredmor always has a tendency of pissing me off.

I love the overall design of Dredmor, but I can never finish a game.

It just goes on for too long.

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    When people say "roguelike" I hear "game I'm going to get super fucking angry at"

That's the fun of it!

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Walking Simulator
    Dredmor is maybe the perfect roguelike for me. Good variety in ability options, challenging but fair enough to let planning and player skill overcome randomness, actually amusing, good art style.

I ran into the same thing I did with FTL and Dungeon of the Endless though, where once I beat it I had zero interest in going back and playing again even with the option of different loadouts. The game was just over for me.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Aistan wrote: »
    Dredmor is maybe the perfect roguelike for me. Good variety in ability options, challenging but fair enough to let planning and player skill overcome randomness, actually amusing, good art style.

I ran into the same thing I did with FTL and Dungeon of the Endless though, where once I beat it I had zero interest in going back and playing again even with the option of different loadouts. The game was just over for me.

Did you try out the other ships in Dungeon of the Endless? Once I figured out some of the specialty ones those got another 3-4 playthroughs out of me.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Oh hey the best Indivisible Incarnation got a little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M85Yrq-et48

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.