As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: POST IN NEW THREAD!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    although I'm more inclined to get a dragon priest deck going, this is sjow's take on dragon warrior. good article http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/492846-sjows-dragon-warrior-for-the-grand-tournament

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: Β»
    although I'm more inclined to get a dragon priest deck going, this is sjow's take on dragon warrior. good article http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/492846-sjows-dragon-warrior-for-the-grand-tournament

I like it. Sparring Partner definitely has me intrigued.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Patch is live on iOS.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    So, for whatever reason people who hadn't logged into their accounts since July got to open a chest, which means we now know exactly how the rewards work. Basically there are four different chests at the four rank checkpoints (20, 15, 10, 5). The card rarities are fixed to the chest, while the dust reward is fixed to the rank.
    Rank 20-16 - 1 golden common card, 5-25 dust

Rank 15-11 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 5-25 dust

Rank 10-6 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 5-25 dust

Rank 5-1 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden epic card, 5-25 dust

So if all you care about is dust:

Rank 20-16: 55-75 dust.
    Rank 15-11: 155-175 dust.
    Rank 10-6: 205-225 dust.
    Rank 5-1: 505-525 dust.

admanb on
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: Β»
    So, for whatever reason people who hadn't logged into their accounts since July got to open a chest, which means we now know exactly how the rewards work. Basically there are four different chests at the four rank checkpoints (20, 15, 10, 5). The card rarities are fixed to the chest, while the dust reward is fixed to the rank.

So, basically, I need to get to rank 5 to get my hands on 505+ dust

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

THAT'S REALLY GOOD

Holy crap. Finally, actual motivation to rank up on the ladder and not feel bad that I didn't hit Legend. Yesssss.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    If this expansion shifts the meta to more mid range and taunts, I think the Black Knight is coming back in a big way.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    unofficial patch notes
    Changes that aren't documented in the official changelog:

Concedes now happen immediately.

Searching "new" in the Collection Manager now shows your new cards.

TGT board added.

TGT cards appear in the crafting menu but can't be crafted yet. (Thanks, luckyluke193)

Rank is now being tracked for end-of-the-month rewards. (Thanks, danhakimi)

New quests are "Win 3 games with x class" (50g) and "Win 5 Tavern Brawls" (60g). (Thanks, guimontag)

If you set your computer time to Aug 24, you can open TGT packs but not retrieve cards.

Other minor fixes/additions/changes:

Cards created by others are now labelled and appear in the history sidebar.
    This affects: Mechanical Yeti, Tinkertown Technician, Ysera, Antonidas, Gazlowe, Toshley, Mind Vision, Wild Mana. Does not affect: Clockwork Gnome, Mech-Bear-Cat. (Thanks, Splitzinsanity, WG95, xLyca, Flickered, culinko, jayr__).

Improved visual effects on Duplicate and Echo of Medivh. (Thanks, RedQ, Dyvn_)

Faster Silence animation. (Thanks, Massacrul)

Crafting a minion now plays its sound effect.

Getting 12 wins in arena gets you a message from the Innkeeper. (Thanks, Digeridoodle)

Arena reward icons are now smaller.

Cursor in collection manager is different shape. (Thanks, Fikoblin)

New animation for ranking up. (Thanks, JosephD1014)

You can now squelch opponents in Spectator Mode. (Thanks, OhYaaah)

Resurrect now requires a friendly minion to have died this game to be played. (Thanks, Adys)

Bugs / possible bugs:

Fel Reaver: text changed from "discard" to "remove"; can no longer see cards discarded/removed. Some users have reported being able to see the cards when mouseovering the card history on the side. (Thanks kn0ff, Whooshless)

Casual mode still gives gold, but no longer displays when gold is given. (Thanks, culinko)

"Last played" sometimes doesn't appear on friend list. (Thanks, Fikoblin)

Occasional "Can't lose stars at this rank" at ranks >20. Edit: Started occurring a few days ago, unrelated to the patch. Seems to occur when you tie and have 0 stars at your rank. (Thanks, MarcDVL, Dynoglory)

Mousing over your arena key no longer shows your arena wins. (Thanks, culinko)

Enemy played spells don't show spell power bonuses. (Thanks, advanc3r)

Spectate Cards have a green border all the time. You need to move mouse to reset. (Thanks, theSurgeonOfDeath)

"Specator Mode" button is a bit offset and now partially overlaps the player's hand. (Thanks, WG95)

Thoughtsteal: changed sound and animation. (Thanks, BloeR, Notsomebeans)

In some situations, probably when animations are stacked, conceding did not play the "you win" dialogue. (Thanks, bunnybacon)

Searching "The Grand Tournament" in collection manager does not show all TGT cards. (Thanks, luckyluke193)

iOS: custom deck's card back is now larger and askew. (Thanks, fuglyfants)

Android: Looking at history and playing a card will result in a visual glitch where they overlap. (Thanks, yumyum36)

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Is anyone playing right now? I've got the observe quest.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If this expansion shifts the meta to more mid range and taunts, I think the Black Knight is coming back in a big way.

Heck I think it's coming back in any slow warrior decks just because of Sparring Partner.

I'm so excited for that card. It's an anti aggro card, it's a Black Knight Activator, and if someone tries to hide a valuable minion behind taunts it lets you bring that minion up so you can hit it with a weapon. All for a 2 drop that is itself a 3/2 taunt. DAYUMN.

• Options
    Although my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by the fact that no matter what cool new decks come out, patron warrior is still just going to shit all over everything.

It's frankly ridiculous that they aren't nerfing it at all.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Is anyone playing right now? I've got the observe quest.

i'm gonna grind some quests with my limited NA card pool I guess

• Options
    edited August 2015
    unofficial patch notes
    Changes that aren't documented in the official changelog:

Searching "new" in the Collection Manager now shows your new cards.

TGT board added.

TGT cards appear in the crafting menu but can't be crafted yet. (Thanks, luckyluke193)

Rank is now being tracked for end-of-the-month rewards. (Thanks, danhakimi)

New quests are "Win 3 games with x class" (50g) and "Win 5 Tavern Brawls" (60g). (Thanks, guimontag)

If you set your computer time to Aug 24, you can open TGT packs but not retrieve cards.

Other minor fixes/additions/changes:

Cards created by others are now labelled and appear in the history sidebar.
    This affects: Mechanical Yeti, Tinkertown Technician, Ysera, Antonidas, Gazlowe, Toshley, Mind Vision, Wild Mana. Does not affect: Clockwork Gnome, Mech-Bear-Cat. (Thanks, Splitzinsanity, WG95, xLyca, Flickered, culinko, jayr__).

Improved visual effects on Duplicate and Echo of Medivh. (Thanks, RedQ, Dyvn_)

Faster Silence animation. (Thanks, Massacrul)

Crafting a minion now plays its sound effect.

Getting 12 wins in arena gets you a message from the Innkeeper. (Thanks, Digeridoodle)

Arena reward icons are now smaller.

Cursor in collection manager is different shape. (Thanks, Fikoblin)

New animation for ranking up. (Thanks, JosephD1014)

Resurrect now requires a friendly minion to have died this game to be played. (Thanks, Adys)

Bugs / possible bugs:

Fel Reaver: text changed from "discard" to "remove"; can no longer see cards discarded/removed. Some users have reported being able to see the cards when mouseovering the card history on the side. (Thanks kn0ff, Whooshless)

Casual mode still gives gold, but no longer displays when gold is given. (Thanks, culinko)

"Last played" sometimes doesn't appear on friend list. (Thanks, Fikoblin)

Occasional "Can't lose stars at this rank" at ranks >20. Edit: Started occurring a few days ago, unrelated to the patch. Seems to occur when you tie and have 0 stars at your rank. (Thanks, MarcDVL, Dynoglory)

Mousing over your arena key no longer shows your arena wins. (Thanks, culinko)

Enemy played spells don't show spell power bonuses. (Thanks, advanc3r)

Spectate Cards have a green border all the time. You need to move mouse to reset. (Thanks, theSurgeonOfDeath)

"Specator Mode" button is a bit offset and now partially overlaps the player's hand. (Thanks, WG95)

Thoughtsteal: changed sound and animation. (Thanks, BloeR, Notsomebeans)

In some situations, probably when animations are stacked, conceding did not play the "you win" dialogue. (Thanks, bunnybacon)

Searching "The Grand Tournament" in collection manager does not show all TGT cards. (Thanks, luckyluke193)

iOS: custom deck's card back is now larger and askew. (Thanks, fuglyfants)

Android: Looking at history and playing a card will result in a visual glitch where they overlap. (Thanks, yumyum36)

THANK GOD

Based Blizzard, Swaglord Supreme.

This one is interesting. It means both you and your opponent no longer have information about what is/isn't left in your deck. Also presumably simply a word change so it wouldn't confuse people as to why it wouldn't work with the new Warlock discard mechanics.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: Β»
    Although my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by the fact that no matter what cool new decks come out, patron warrior is still just going to shit all over everything.

I can't get my Patron past 14..and when playing my rogue, also around 14, I destroy Patrons I come across (usually). The 2nd blade flurry certainly helped with that. Thanks guys :) I'm guessing around 14 that means they are substandard, but christ...based on my other matches the gameplay and decks around rank 14 certainly seem damn solid to me. I can't get past it. Are there good videos I can watch with commentary and stuff that might help me break the 14 barrier? I don't think my decks are the problem anymore...although god, if I'm making gameplay mistakes they are getting more subtle than playing stuff in the wrong order and whatnot.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    grand tournament board is pretty weak, 3/10

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadPen wrote: Β»

I can't get my Patron past 14..and when playing my rogue, also around 14, I destroy Patrons I come across (usually). The 2nd blade flurry certainly helped with that. Thanks guys :) I'm guessing around 14 that means they are substandard, but christ...based on my other matches the gameplay and decks around rank 14 certainly seem damn solid to me. I can't get past it. Are there good videos I can watch with commentary and stuff that might help me break the 14 barrier? I don't think my decks are the problem anymore...although god, if I'm making gameplay mistakes they are getting more subtle than playing stuff in the wrong order and whatnot.

Usually when you're getting stuck at that rank with your experience it's because you're making good plays each turn, but you're not playing correctly to the long term game plan/your deck's win condition. This is especially noticeable when you play pure combo decks like Patron Warrior that are trying to set up turns and combos 3, 4, maybe 5 turns down the line. So what is the optimal play for a given turn might actually be a bad play for your overall game.

Sjow has been streaming a lot of Patron recently; he was the Control guru for awhile, he's a good stream to watch to learn Warrior in general. Beyond that I'm not sure, I mostly only watch Strifecro and he rarely streams Patron.

• Options
    Okay so, am I the only one having issues running Hearthstone at the moment? I ran it and my computer like fucking FROZE. Not actually froze but everything would just get hung up and stop responding for huge chunks of time. Hearthstone itself wasn't responding either and when I closed that, it stopped, but holy shit.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

Usually when you're getting stuck at that rank with your experience it's because you're making good plays each turn, but you're not playing correctly to the long term game plan/your deck's win condition. This is especially noticeable when you play pure combo decks like Patron Warrior that are trying to set up turns and combos 3, 4, maybe 5 turns down the line. So what is the optimal play for a given turn might actually be a bad play for your overall game.

Sjow has been streaming a lot of Patron recently; he was the Control guru for awhile, he's a good stream to watch to learn Warrior in general. Beyond that I'm not sure, I mostly only watch Strifecro and he rarely streams Patron.

I'm actually more interested in my rogue, which is probably tougher to play than Patron. You have to do stuff like let yourself get slammed in the face over and over when you could stop it with a blade flurry, which sort of speaks to your long-term thing. But a lot of times when I die, I feel like there's not a ton I could have done. I am probably wrong because like you say it's hard to see that picture over several turns.

• Options

I'm actually more interested in my rogue, which is probably tougher to play than Patron. You have to do stuff like let yourself get slammed in the face over and over when you could stop it with a blade flurry, which sort of speaks to your long-term thing. But a lot of times when I die, I feel like there's not a ton I could have done. I am probably wrong because like you say it's hard to see that picture over several turns.

When Ryzen streams rogue he's super good at it, also Dog is a great rogue player.

• Options
    And MrYagut, who's streamed a lot of high-legend oil rogue recently.

• Options
    Thanks guys. I had tried looking at a couple stream recordings at the legend level, but there was little commentary, and just watching someone play isn't super helpful if they (or someone else) isn't talking. Especially when they lose....did they screw up? or did they just not have the right cards?

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I had tried looking at a couple stream recordings at the legend level, but there was little commentary, and just watching someone play isn't super helpful if they (or someone else) isn't talking. Especially when they lose....did they screw up? or did they just not have the right cards?

Lifecoach (lifecoach1981 on twitch) talks through nearly every turn he takes.

He'll even go through games afterwards to figure out where he went wrong, or whether he made the right plays. He's very methodical, it's definitely worth checking out.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

This seems wrong, Blizzard should be bumping up the rewards for Rank 10-6, because it seems so weird where:
    Rank 20-16: +55 dust
    Rank 15-11: +80 dust
    Rank 10-6: +30 dust
    Rank 5-1: +280 dust

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm guessing they're looking at it less from a dust angle and more from the golden cards side of things.
    Not that they're not aware of the gap, but in wanting to have a golden epic at the top and not have to balance it out with bunches of golden rares in the tiers below. I suppose they could just give more raw dust in balance. Seems odd the actual dust quantity given is the same across all tiers.

These class specific quests are going to make me build some new decks. Haven't made a serviceable Rogue deck in a while.

• Options
    Dibby wrote: Β»
    Okay so, am I the only one having issues running Hearthstone at the moment? I ran it and my computer like fucking FROZE. Not actually froze but everything would just get hung up and stop responding for huge chunks of time. Hearthstone itself wasn't responding either and when I closed that, it stopped, but holy shit.

Aaaaaaa this is so fucked. I updated my video drivers and, huzzah, it stopped doing that!

But then I started getting runtime errors instead.
    CMvG3g4VEAAWcOJ.png:large
    So, great. And it's happening EVERY SINGLE GAME so I can't actually play.

Also, this happened, so I feel like it's perhaps linked in some way:
    CMvG4zfUkAAQT1I.png:large
    Crash happened literally right after, of course.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Malylock is a blast to play, but you just lose to Control Warrior. You just lose.

sig.gif
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Made a Patron Warrior deck. No clue how to play it. Fuck that deck.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: Β»
    I was thinking about this earlier today, but cutting armorsmith and sludge belcher seems crazy to me. But on the other hand, there's no room for all your dragon cards if you don't. I'm also not convinced on Chillmaw. My impulse is to make a dragon deck with Varian, but then, again, you don't have room for your dragon synergy.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    ah turn 4 loss to 16/16 deathlord. Don't you ever change Hearthstone.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to make a Deathlord/Snapjaw/Divine Spirit/Confuse deck. You thought inner fire was annoying? How about Bloodlust Inner Fire? For only 1 more mana?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I am sticking with Paladin as my main deck. Lose 2-3 in a row with a Patron Warrior deck. Go one game back to Pally and I win with 1 health left. Go team.

I saw that there are some Pally cards to help the recruits. I think I am going to fiddle with that when the expansion comes out. I almost want to just say fuck it and craft a Tirion, but I will wait until I open my packs next week to make sure I get the appropriate Pally cards for recruit buffing.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    My runtime error/crashy shit seems to be fixed, just played two games without anything going wrong.

Did a scan/repair thing on Hearthstone from the battle.net client, that seemed to do it, so yay!

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Someone link me a good decklist to quickly get some ranks?
    I've managed to lose down to 20.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular

Remove enemy minions and draw until turn 6+. Depending on opponent, either Patron combo to a board they can't remove (Druid, Zoo, Hunter) or stall until you can use Emperor Thaurissan to set up a Frothing OTK (Control, Paladin, Rogue). Or it's a Freeze Mage and you just armor to 80 with Armorsmith comboes and wait on fatigue.

The skill involved is in choosing which resources to use on removal and survival while ensuring that you get adequate draw without overdrawing. For example, in control matchups it can be very appropriate to Patron combo versus a control deck, knowing that they'll get AOE'd down next turn, so long as you have a Battle Rage followup to refill your hand with like 6+ cards. Likewise, turn 3 Frothing can be a great play versus aggro and midrange decks because it threatens to grow out of hand if they don't deal with it immediately.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Aaaaaaa this is so fucked. I updated my video drivers and, huzzah, it stopped doing that!

But then I started getting runtime errors instead.
    CMvG3g4VEAAWcOJ.png:large
    So, great. And it's happening EVERY SINGLE GAME so I can't actually play.

Also, this happened, so I feel like it's perhaps linked in some way:
    CMvG4zfUkAAQT1I.png:large
    Crash happened literally right after, of course.

Have you tried reinstalling (or repairing if they have that for HS)?

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Someone link me a good decklist to quickly get some ranks?
    I've managed to lose down to 20.

Face Hunter and Face Warrior should get you out of there pretty quickly

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like medivh is going to be everywhere tomorrow.

Hunter is like...the worst class for joust, and while inspire isn't great, it helps that mages have one of the best hero powers.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I thought it would be like the rag/nef battle where you got randomly assigned one of the classes.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I feel like medivh is going to be everywhere tomorrow.

Hunter is like...the worst class for joust, and while inspire isn't great, it helps that mages have one of the best hero powers.

If you're talking about the brawl... well, first of all, you'll see Medivh and Alleria the same amount, because this has to be preconstructed decks, right? One person gets Medivh, the other gets Alleria, you go at it with prebuilt Inspire and Joust decks. Plus, Hunter is fine for Joust, if only because you have Highmanes. Highmanes win Jousts. Highmanes win games. If you build a control hunter deck that's only win condition is keeping the game going until you drop your Highmanes that would probably be a really good deck. Joust probably isn't the best way to do that since a deck like that would want more consistency, but we're still going to have to see how Joust works at some point.

Also I'm like 70% sure Joust is going to be a lame mechanic like Overload where the downsides outweigh the upsides WAY too much and very few of them will actually end up getting seriously played, which makes me ehhh on the whole "ohhh, blizzard is trying to kill aggro" thing. Like, if they were trying to kill aggro, they'd make Joust cards good, whereas the ones we've seen so far are like... really really not very good. Tuskarr Jouster is decent, maybe. If you think the heal is a nice side effect to the 5/5 body you're getting, but you're not banking on it to save your life. It's basically the only Joust card I can see running seriously, though. I was excited for Gadgeztan Jouster until I realized it's just a way worse Zombie Chow. Like, worse than Twilight Welp at being a bad Zombie Chow.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: Β»

Remove enemy minions and draw until turn 6+. Depending on opponent, either Patron combo to a board they can't remove (Druid, Zoo, Hunter) or stall until you can use Emperor Thaurissan to set up a Frothing OTK (Control, Paladin, Rogue). Or it's a Freeze Mage and you just armor to 80 with Armorsmith comboes and wait on fatigue.

The skill involved is in choosing which resources to use on removal and survival while ensuring that you get adequate draw without overdrawing. For example, in control matchups it can be very appropriate to Patron combo versus a control deck, knowing that they'll get AOE'd down next turn, so long as you have a Battle Rage followup to refill your hand with like 6+ cards. Likewise, turn 3 Frothing can be a great play versus aggro and midrange decks because it threatens to grow out of hand if they don't deal with it immediately.

I'll have to practice. I just got super salty and lost a few matches in a row. Ha. Thanks for this!

Does Blizzard have any plans to release alternate Heroes for the other original Heroes? I want a Pally alternate.

bYf6vNQ.png