As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In the JRPG thread we kill gods with the power of friendship

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, this game feels like you ramp up the main character for sure, but you need various other classes particularly magic for physical-resistant mobs.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    holy crap i played like 2 weeks from where I was in P4G and boy we slammed the story pedal to the firewall. def gonna have to finish this over the weekend.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Does Disgaea still do the thing where everyone gets experience individually based on what they do in the fight?

Cause I hate systems like that. Just give equal xp to the whole party.

nearly all SRPG's work this way, its the standard of the genre

And it is why I get turned off by so many of them.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Does Disgaea still do the thing where everyone gets experience individually based on what they do in the fight?

that's what tower attacks are for

what's that, you had 10 people in one glorious tower killing a thing? xp for everyone!

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »

what's that, you had 10 people in one glorious tower killing a thing? xp for everyone!

I don't think that's an option in D5, just tossing people around like a crazy person.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Tactics Ogre: LuCT gives everyone experience if they survive the fight and Valkyria Chronicles levels up classes, I feel those approaches encourage building a team rather than a single overpowered unit.
    I should mention that this only applies to the PSP remake. The original version of Tactics Ogre VERY MUCH does not do this, and was in fact infamous for forcing you to do a lot of between-battle training to keep your people at a similar level.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular

In FFTA, your characters gain xp every time they succeed at an action other than moving, based on the level of the target. It works a lot better than xp only from kills, but it also enables silly things like buffing or healing yourself every turn for 10 xp (next level is always 100) and using Smile to pass turns back and forth forever for infinite xp.
    Skills are so powerful you probably won't feel a need to grind for xp, though.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Split EXP evenly or there will be party members I never use because they just keep getting weaker. If it's the sort of system where you can pull in any member of the party if someone goes down then they're being brought in explicitly as a decoy to throw some revival item before biting the dust.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

I don't think that's an option in D5, just tossing people around like a crazy person.

What? No, you can still very much tower attack. One of them is called TOWER LAZER

• Options
    blaze_zero wrote: »

What? No, you can still very much tower attack. One of them is called TOWER LAZER

I need to figure this stuff out.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »

In FFTA, your characters gain xp every time they succeed at an action other than moving, based on the level of the target. It works a lot better than xp only from kills, but it also enables silly things like buffing or healing yourself every turn for 10 xp (next level is always 100) and using Smile to pass turns back and forth forever for infinite xp.

Fire emblem also does this (more or less) and I think it's the best balance between making units earn their own exp and being able to level everyone up that you want to use

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Fire emblem also does this (more or less) and I think it's the best balance between making units earn their own exp and being able to level everyone up that you want to use

I think this is how it mostly works

Disgaea is an exception that makes healers frustratingly difficult to level, admittedly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it very much used to be part of the difficulty of fire emblem but now that the series opened up grinding/unlimited exp it doesn't matter unless you self impose rules on yourself

• Options

I need to figure this stuff out.

The range on a tower attack is only 3 at best. You will eventually get a skill called Tower Move, which does what it says. In order to get more tower moves, keep attacking as a tower. Tower is really only ideal for leveling up lower characters though (put the strong on the bottom to absorb punishment).

• Options
    Man, SMT4 is just an asshole game. I know the series is kind of notorious for that, but this shit is frustrating in a way that other unforgiving RPGs I've played are not. I reached a story fight at the beginning of the 3rd floor of the dungeon with a pair of nagas that can one shot or nearly one shot my PC and all my demons with a physical skill that's supposed to have low accuracy but they never miss with. I tried grinding for an hour or two before trying again and still got wrecked. They don't have any elemental weakness I can find to abuse to chain extra turns, they have enough HP that I can't even focus one of them down before I wipe, and the defense buff spell doesn't help at all. This fight is a huge difficulty spike compared to the previous quest's main encounter, and I don't get the impression this is even supposed to be a proper boss fight. The worst part is that every time you die in this game there's an unskippable minute long cutscene before you get to the game over screen where there's a choice to return to just before you died for a ton of money (do not do this) or just give up, which returns you to the title screen where you can reload your save for no penalty. And you can save anywhere so there's literally no reason to ever use the first option, unless like me you didn't realize at first how finite a resource money is in this game.

I've played and enjoyed plenty of other RPGs that expect you to grind hardcore, like Persona 3, or Etrian Odyssey, or Final Fantasy 1, but not usually this early in the game. I'm already ahead of the levels of all the random battles on the floors I have access to and the exp from them is tiny. As far as I can tell I can't really grind money to buy better equipment with or more consumables, not that consumables would help here. There's no money from winning random battles and I can't sell all these monster parts I keep getting. The only sources of real income available to me right now are finding resources in the dungeon that supposedly respawn, but only seem to after completing a main quest. And everything you can do with money costs tons of it, so I guess I'm expected to keep clearing the main quests to really make money. My only option to progress seems to be multiple more hours of grinding random encounters and then seeing if the nagas can still one-shot me.

The game in general seems rough. The demon negotiation mechanic is tedious, random and frustrating: you pour tons of items, money, HP and MP into them and guess which answer to their multiple choice questions is randomly the correct one, for the privilege of having them run away or attack you most of the time anyway. Combat is random as heck early on, you're pretty likely to just get wiped a bunch of times in the first few levels until you get lucky enough to recruit a full party. I've gotten like 15 tedious tutorials for each individual button on the menu screen or how to read the quest board, but then they hardly tutorialize the combat or negotiation systems at all. The dungeon navigation feels incredibly clunky, especially the gimmick where you have to press down or up on the d-pad to stop moving, look below or above you, and THEN interact with crawly holes or climbable ledges.

You want to play a worse game (you don't), go get Soul Hackers. I went back to that game a few days ago and boy, do I remember why I put it down. That game is endlessly frustrating. Imagine a game where your demons get mad at your for telling them to cast a spell.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    You're also not very likely to have a character in FFTA that can only heal once you get past the very early game.

When your white mage can pitch fireballs at peoples heads when nobody is hurting it makes it a lot easier.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    it very much used to be part of the difficulty of fire emblem but now that the series opened up grinding/unlimited exp it doesn't matter unless you self impose rules on yourself

Yeah in the infinite exp fire emblems levelling up units very quickly becomes a non-issue, but core of the exp system is still the same as has always been

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Man, SMT4 is just an asshole game. I know the series is kind of notorious for that, but this shit is frustrating in a way that other unforgiving RPGs I've played are not. I reached a story fight at the beginning of the 3rd floor of the dungeon with a pair of nagas that can one shot or nearly one shot my PC and all my demons with a physical skill that's supposed to have low accuracy but they never miss with. I tried grinding for an hour or two before trying again and still got wrecked. They don't have any elemental weakness I can find to abuse to chain extra turns, they have enough HP that I can't even focus one of them down before I wipe, and the defense buff spell doesn't help at all. This fight is a huge difficulty spike compared to the previous quest's main encounter, and I don't get the impression this is even supposed to be a proper boss fight. The worst part is that every time you die in this game there's an unskippable minute long cutscene before you get to the game over screen where there's a choice to return to just before you died for a ton of money (do not do this) or just give up, which returns you to the title screen where you can reload your save for no penalty. And you can save anywhere so there's literally no reason to ever use the first option, unless like me you didn't realize at first how finite a resource money is in this game.

I've played and enjoyed plenty of other RPGs that expect you to grind hardcore, like Persona 3, or Etrian Odyssey, or Final Fantasy 1, but not usually this early in the game. I'm already ahead of the levels of all the random battles on the floors I have access to and the exp from them is tiny. As far as I can tell I can't really grind money to buy better equipment with or more consumables, not that consumables would help here. There's no money from winning random battles and I can't sell all these monster parts I keep getting. The only sources of real income available to me right now are finding resources in the dungeon that supposedly respawn, but only seem to after completing a main quest. And everything you can do with money costs tons of it, so I guess I'm expected to keep clearing the main quests to really make money. My only option to progress seems to be multiple more hours of grinding random encounters and then seeing if the nagas can still one-shot me.

The game in general seems rough. The demon negotiation mechanic is tedious, random and frustrating: you pour tons of items, money, HP and MP into them and guess which answer to their multiple choice questions is randomly the correct one, for the privilege of having them run away or attack you most of the time anyway. Combat is random as heck early on, you're pretty likely to just get wiped a bunch of times in the first few levels until you get lucky enough to recruit a full party. I've gotten like 15 tedious tutorials for each individual button on the menu screen or how to read the quest board, but then they hardly tutorialize the combat or negotiation systems at all. The dungeon navigation feels incredibly clunky, especially the gimmick where you have to press down or up on the d-pad to stop moving, look below or above you, and THEN interact with crawly holes or climbable ledges.

You want to play a worse game (you don't), go get Soul Hackers. I went back to that game a few days ago and boy, do I remember why I put it down. That game is endlessly frustrating. Imagine a game where your demons get mad at your for telling them to cast a spell.
    I think personality and loyalty make the game more interesting, but it is certainly restrictive. Sometimes you just can't bring a demon into battle because its preferred actions don't help you or even hinder you. Once you have their loyalty, though, you can do amazing things.
    For example, I killed the dolphin boss using brute force, because I mistook the hints and didn't figure out its actual weakness. It was kind of a slow battle, but with a full party of loyal demons knowing many buffs and debuffs and healing spells, it wasn't hard at all.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Smt's game logic has always come naturally to me, I'm not sure why

People talk about those games being hard but they're all about learning to cheese it into dragon quest autobattles

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I think it's a neat idea, but it doesn't really work all the time. Also, the fact that your demons don't level up with you and that they become obsolete, just generally sucks. Because then you have to fuse them or get new ones, which will have varying degrees of loyalty. And then, sometimes, you run into a boss fight and now you're stuck with guys who are only at medium loyalty and will ignore a lot of your orders.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The single leveling thing in Dis
    -Tal wrote: »
    Smt's game logic has always come naturally to me, I'm not sure why

People talk about those games being hard but they're all about learning to cheese it into dragon quest autobattles

Honestly the only thing I think is difficult about SMT games is your opponent screwing you over major with the initiative.

Usually if that doesn't happen it isn't that much different from most other RPGs.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well I guess status effects also being useful is a thing.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I have the chance to buy Earthbound again for around 170.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Disgaea is only about leveling one character until the game gives you a way to easily level everyone else. Which they always have. Then you can start gaining hundreds, if not thousands, of levels for a unit per fight.

Though every game also offers really easy stages with enemies setup to die horrible deaths for your leveling pleasure as well.

One series that's been consistently very forgiving about the level grind as long as you game the system. (Which they obviously want you to do.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Disgaea is only about leveling one character until the game gives you a way to easily level everyone else. Which they always have. Then you can start gaining hundreds, if not thousands, of levels for a unit per fight.

Though every game also offers really easy stages with enemies setup to die horrible deaths for your leveling pleasure as well.

One series that's been consistently very forgiving about the level grind as long as you game the system. (Which they obviously want you to do.)

Also in recent games there's been some kind of grouping system (after school clubs, evil symbols, and now squads) that allow you to leak experience from one unit to the rest of the units in the group.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I think this is how it mostly works

Disgaea is an exception that makes healers frustratingly difficult to level, admittedly

Idk how things are in d5 but historically it's not difficult giving healers a bow or something in the beginning that lets them contribute to killing stuff for xp

Also tower attackkk

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Well, I was going to clean up the ballots tab a bit, but it doesn't really matter, so I might as well link the results now.
    Chrono Trigger	                          181	25
    Persona IV	                          149	20
    The World Ends With You	                   72	12
    Final Fantasy VI	                   70	 9
    Final Fantasy X	                           68	 9
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door	   64	10
    Kingdom Hearts II	                   54	10
    Dark Souls	                           48	 7
    Shadow Hearts Covenant	                   46	 6
    Fire Emblem: Awakening	                   45	 8

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    ...Acceptable.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I am the lone RF4 voter. jrpg thread has a distinct lack of taste

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    EXCUSE ME SHADOW HEARTS COVENANT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANOTHER VOTE

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    EXCUSE ME SHADOW HEARTS COVENANT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANOTHER VOTE

you mean from the new world

• Options
    SHADOW HEARTS FROM THE NEW WORLD IS ALSO SUPPOSED TO HAVE A VOTE THAT WAS NOT COUNTED

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Da rules is da rules.

• Options
    ARTIFICE DESIGNED TO CONTROL MINORITIES

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I am the lone RF4 voter. jrpg thread has a distinct lack of taste

I may not have a list but in spirit I am with you here

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    why not make a list never too late to update!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Despite the rules being the rules, the final tally list has multiple Final Fantasies on it? Who'd a thunk?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    boy the end P4G is dragging hard. Did all the stuff with end of the year and all that, and i've been playing for like 9 more hours and there is no end in sight. Just want to beat you game :(

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The ending of P4 was in some ways the weakest part, if only for its pacing and the way (end spoilers)
    the final boss kind of managed to peter out at the end

I haven't played Golden; I wonder how it compares

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I didn't put RF4 on my list because I played Fantasy Life first.

This discussion has been closed.