Options

In the JRPG thread we kill gods with the power of friendship

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Secret of Evermore seems pretty jurpy to me

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    the Phantasy Star collection for the Saturn is why I learned Japanese
    I loved that game then saw it for sale in a shop outside of Okinawa and bought it
    I barely knew how to read Japanese at the time and it was a crash course in learning since it used technical terms that shown in most books.
    But it, Sailor moon and foul mouthed fishermen,sailors is why I know Japanese

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Secret of Evermore seems pretty jurpy to me

Ah, but it's not "from Japan", now is it?

• Options
    It's not?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    It's not?

Made in Redmond Washington by guys with names like "Alan" and "George".

It is not.

• Options
    Yeah, made by Square's NA branch at the time. Never even got a Japanese release. Could have been included otherwise since we've been pretty loose with the definition of "rpg", especially since some lists have Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 anyway.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    (7) is the first one with a US release, so it just got called "Fire Emblem"

I usually see the subtitle translated "Blazing Sword" but it's probably for the best the series avoids even further weed jokes. probably.

it has neither Roy nor Marth.

It has Roy!

Barely.

(He has a cameo in the last scene. It was cut in the European release.)

oh, right

kinda wonder why they didn't cut that for the US too, it's not like we were ever going to get the sequel either

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    part of me wonders if they'll ever do a remaster of 6 and 7 packaged together for the 3ds

i'm hardly the first person to bring it up but it would be totaly perfect

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I picked up Disgaea 5 and I'm looking forward to it, having never played one before. I only briefly got to look at it last night and I think the combat system is going to have to take a little bit of time to get down.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Yeah, made by Square's NA branch at the time. Never even got a Japanese release. Could have been included otherwise since we've been pretty loose with the definition of "rpg", especially since some lists have Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 anyway.

go ahead and tell me why Seiken Densetsu 3 isn't an RPG

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Orphane wrote: »
    part of me wonders if they'll ever do a remaster of 6 and 7 packaged together for the 3ds

i'm hardly the first person to bring it up but it would be totaly perfect

I don't think it'll happen, they're both on virtual console and you can't really up-rez sprite animation - so either you just move everything into the new graphics engine (in which case, you might as well just make a new game since it'll sell better) or create a new set of high-quality sprite animation (not happening).

I think you'd have to address some of the outdated systems too, like the range viewer and supports, because a lot of the little quality-of-life stuff has been improved since then.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »

go ahead and tell me why Seiken Densetsu 3 isn't an RPG

Only said that bit because chocobolicious wanted to include it but said it "technically" isn't a jrpg, but whether you think that or not those other games are already on lists so since Evermore is basically a Secret of Mana clone there wouldn't be any problems including Evermore on a list if it weren't for the "technically not from Japan" thing.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Oh. okay, nevermind.

I was ready to throw down though.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Secret of Evermore is really good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So while I was downloading FF9, I realized I still hadn't beaten Persona 4 Golden.

So after a year of not playing, I'm forcing myself to go back and finish that game because I really liked it and I wanna say I finished it.

If I'm in... midnovemberish, would anyone know how much longer I have to go?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So while I was downloading FF9, I realized I still hadn't beaten Persona 4 Golden.

So after a year of not playing, I'm forcing myself to go back and finish that game because I really liked it and I wanna say I finished it.

You're nearing the climax. Have you cleared the (spoilered for dungeon name, no plot points)
    Heaven dungeon yet?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Man, SMT4 is just an asshole game. I know the series is kind of notorious for that, but this shit is frustrating in a way that other unforgiving RPGs I've played are not. I reached a story fight at the beginning of the 3rd floor of the dungeon with a pair of nagas that can one shot or nearly one shot my PC and all my demons with a physical skill that's supposed to have low accuracy but they never miss with. I tried grinding for an hour or two before trying again and still got wrecked. They don't have any elemental weakness I can find to abuse to chain extra turns, they have enough HP that I can't even focus one of them down before I wipe, and the defense buff spell doesn't help at all. This fight is a huge difficulty spike compared to the previous quest's main encounter, and I don't get the impression this is even supposed to be a proper boss fight. The worst part is that every time you die in this game there's an unskippable minute long cutscene before you get to the game over screen where there's a choice to return to just before you died for a ton of money (do not do this) or just give up, which returns you to the title screen where you can reload your save for no penalty. And you can save anywhere so there's literally no reason to ever use the first option, unless like me you didn't realize at first how finite a resource money is in this game.

I've played and enjoyed plenty of other RPGs that expect you to grind hardcore, like Persona 3, or Etrian Odyssey, or Final Fantasy 1, but not usually this early in the game. I'm already ahead of the levels of all the random battles on the floors I have access to and the exp from them is tiny. As far as I can tell I can't really grind money to buy better equipment with or more consumables, not that consumables would help here. There's no money from winning random battles and I can't sell all these monster parts I keep getting. The only sources of real income available to me right now are finding resources in the dungeon that supposedly respawn, but only seem to after completing a main quest. And everything you can do with money costs tons of it, so I guess I'm expected to keep clearing the main quests to really make money. My only option to progress seems to be multiple more hours of grinding random encounters and then seeing if the nagas can still one-shot me.

The game in general seems rough. The demon negotiation mechanic is tedious, random and frustrating: you pour tons of items, money, HP and MP into them and guess which answer to their multiple choice questions is randomly the correct one, for the privilege of having them run away or attack you most of the time anyway. Combat is random as heck early on, you're pretty likely to just get wiped a bunch of times in the first few levels until you get lucky enough to recruit a full party. I've gotten like 15 tedious tutorials for each individual button on the menu screen or how to read the quest board, but then they hardly tutorialize the combat or negotiation systems at all. The dungeon navigation feels incredibly clunky, especially the gimmick where you have to press down or up on the d-pad to stop moving, look below or above you, and THEN interact with crawly holes or climbable ledges.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ph blake wrote: »

You're nearing the climax. Have you cleared the (spoilered for dungeon name, no plot points)
    Heaven dungeon yet?

edit: just to be sure, mid-late game p4 spoilers
    uh, I think so? that's the one where Nanako gets captured right? I had just finished that one before I stopped playing last year, so in the lull between stuff mashing out my slinks

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Smt4's difficulty curve is totally borked, since the first dungeon is by far the hardest part of the game. If it helps, the Nagas should be weak to fire attacks.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm just playing a friend's copy so I'm probably just gonna quit. The setting and story haven't done anything for me yet so I'm not going to waste more of my time looking for something appealing in it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Heaven dungeon yet?

uh, I think so? that's the one where Nanako gets captured right? I had just finished that one before I stopped playing last year, so in the lull between stuff mashing out my slinks

Yeah, that's the one. You're very near the end now, to the point where you might want to look up a spoiler free guide or whatever to navigate the true ending bullshit.

Make sure you have Marie's social link maxed by December, and when you get access to the December dungeon try to beat it on the 22nd (the game skips ahead if you beat it earlier, this gives you more time for maxing social links).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wasn't SMT4 the one that had a preorder bonus suit of armor that was all but guaranteed to get you killed against the first boss because it made you weak to the attack type he uses?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Wasn't SMT4 the one that had a preorder bonus suit of armor that was all but guaranteed to get you killed against the first boss because it made you weak to the attack type he uses?

This sounds hilarious.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    SMT4 is super good and my memory of it is just good enough that I can give advice to people who are stuck

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I liked Smt4 a whole bunch but it's definitely not perfect which is why I'm glad to hear they're taking a lot of fan feedback into consideration for Smt4 Final.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

This sounds hilarious.

not the first boss, the preorder armor made you instantly die against the very first tutorial fight

• Options

This sounds hilarious.

not the first boss, the preorder armor made you instantly die against the very first tutorial fight

To be fair I managed that without the armor because that Centaur was an asshole. I think it was a Centaur anyway.

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I liked Smt4 a whole bunch but it's definitely not perfect which is why I'm glad to hear they're taking a lot of fan feedback into consideration for Smt4 Final.

Tell me more.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I hated SMT4 the first time i played it

Once I realized that all the demon conversations played to a similar formula I stopped failing them and the game instantly became a thousand times better

Demons are greedy but also respect strength. If you're a pushover they just take advantage of you

The best thing to do is to give them what they want at first, refuse their requests once or twice, and then end the conversation. That will very nearly always get you a positive outcome. Their mode of speech usually indicates which dialogue choices are ideal, but there is a slight random element. You learn which is best to choose over time, but I think they're more likely to like your answer if they already like you

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Heaven dungeon yet?

Yeah, that's the one. You're very near the end now, to the point where you might want to look up a spoiler free guide or whatever to navigate the true ending bullshit.

Make sure you have Marie's social link maxed by December, and when you get access to the December dungeon try to beat it on the 22nd (the game skips ahead if you beat it earlier, this gives you more time for maxing social links).

Awesome, thanks. She's at 9 where I am 3 days before the November fog, so I should be able to get that done. Trying to finish off the Fox as well but that's a giant pain, stupid fishing :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My list without repeating series:

1) Persona 4
    2) Skies of Arcadia
    3) Dark Souls
    4) Final Fantasy IX
    5) Tales of Vesperia
    6) Fire Emblem Awakening
    7) Chrono Trigger
    8) Valkyria Chronicles
    9) Grandia 2
    10) Phantasy Star Online

I need to get around to playing more of Xenoblade one day.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Tell me more.

It's a kind a sequel they just announced. Looks like it takes place after the first game but doesn't follow any of its endings.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I picked up Disgaea 5 and I'm looking forward to it, having never played one before. I only briefly got to look at it last night and I think the combat system is going to have to take a little bit of time to get down.

It's simple enough to play, with an incredible amount of depth. The tutorials are pretty good, and pop up whenever anything new happens. It can be a bit overwhelming, since most every facet of each character has its own experience points.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Qanamil wrote: »

It's simple enough to play, with an incredible amount of depth. The tutorials are pretty good, and pop up whenever anything new happens. It can be a bit overwhelming, since most every facet of each character has its own experience points.

Yeah, it's super overwhelming. I got through a good number of the main story battles last night and there's still so much I just don't know, even with being told. Nevermind tricks like stacking people (or enemies?), actually pulling of combos, what classes to use and what weapons and so on. I believe I've gotten team attacks down and how to do multiple of them but shuffling people after each individual's attack, but then I don't have the team attack trophy so I might be doing something completely different.

Overwhelming amount* of stuff and there are still a bunch of features at the home base to unlock.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Does Disgaea still do the thing where everyone gets experience individually based on what they do in the fight?

Cause I hate systems like that. Just give equal xp to the whole party.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I can't think of a ton of strategy RPGs that don't do it that way. Even xp in those types of games is definitely not the norm.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Yeah I consider that generally part of the strategy element of games like that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Actually it appears that in Disgaea the person that lands the finishing blow (split during a team attack) gets the xp, as far as mobs go. Casting healing/beneficial spells gives xp immediately based on the level of the dude you're casting on. Skills and abilities happen immediately.

So it's possible to farm easily (I think?) but having somebody high level pummel a mob then having the low level land the finisher.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Does Disgaea still do the thing where everyone gets experience individually based on what they do in the fight?

Cause I hate systems like that. Just give equal xp to the whole party.

nearly all SRPG's work this way, its the standard of the genre

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Tactics Ogre: LuCT gives everyone experience if they survive the fight and Valkyria Chronicles levels up classes, I feel those approaches encourage building a team rather than a single overpowered unit. When you're collecting AP/JP/skill points or whatever secondary thing it's just kind of a chore to make you do both.

I mean, Disgaea is very much about building the overpowered unit (and a dude with fists to get them across the map). But still.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
This discussion has been closed.