As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

wtf my draft [chat] disappeared this is an outrage i want my money back

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I bought a package of Jack Daniels BBQ Pulled Pork. Goddamn is it good. Got it on sale too so tasty and cheap!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Surprising no one, Gwen Ifill of NPR News again displays blatant leftwing partisan attitudes.

What little semblance of objectivity she had left has been discarded.

Who? I listen to npr everyday and I don't think I know who this is

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Surprising no one, Gwen Ifill of NPR News again displays blatant leftwing partisan attitudes.

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

She moderated an Obama-Romney debate!

Just before her book, "Politics and Race in the Age of Obama", was released!

This was somehow not a conflict of interest!

I'm honestly not certain I grasp that issue? I guess.... was she supposed to hide her opinions by writing about a past president whilst clearly commenting on a current administration, as is the tradition?

Either way I think you can safely assume the complete dissolution of journalism as a profession is taking care of any sort of knock-down you are hoping to see her undergo.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Presumably he means PBS

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Just left hiring reception. That is a weird name for it though. Really, it was an attempt to convince students we already offered employment as interns next summer to choose to come be interns for us next year, so that we can pay them $10s of thousands to eat free lunches and do no work. And a lot of them will say no to this offer.

Your interns make tens if thousands of dollars?

These punk ass kids are turning down paid internships?

Down with this sort of thing

Law interns

Given the number of law students competing for spots, generally the most elite and/or well connected law students who are offered softball and lucrative programs to get them on board before being subject to the crushing workload of an associate

Ah

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

She appears to be from PBS TV

• Options

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

I'm honestly not certain I grasp that issue? I guess.... was she supposed to hide her opinions by writing about a past president whilst clearly commenting on a current administration, as is the tradition?

Either way I think you can safely assume the complete dissolution of journalism as a profession is taking care of any sort of knock-down you are hoping to see her undergo.

the problem here is obviously that one of the many qualified, certified Opinion Free™ Journalism Bots were not given the job

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    yes sorry, typoz.

• Options
    yes sorry, typoz.

I was only confused because I know both the P in both stands for "Public" and I was like "Maybe ... maybe they're related and I just don't know it.

Maybe I just won't say anything."

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just left hiring reception. That is a weird name for it though. Really, it was an attempt to convince students we already offered employment as interns next summer to choose to come be interns for us next year, so that we can pay them $10s of thousands to eat free lunches and do no work. And a lot of them will say no to this offer.

Your interns make tens if thousands of dollars?

These punk ass kids are turning down paid internships?

Law interns

Given the number of law students competing for spots, generally the most elite and/or well connected law students who are offered softball and lucrative programs to get them on board before being subject to the crushing workload of an associate

Exactly right. It's this really bizzare hiring practice that is based on the prestige of your law school more than anything else, and which prevents firms from filling their staffing needs a adequately because they need to plan 2 years out for when the entry level employees show up. And then by 4th year, 80% of them will have left!

• Options

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

it is hard to argue that you are fairly moderating a debate that will in part determine whether there is an "age of Obama" at all, as opposed to a one-and-done Presidency, when you are about to release a book discussing said Age of Obama.

• Options
    can you point out any instances during the debate in which you feel she attempted to ensure an "age of Obama"?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    its more convincing to point at specific questions in the debate you thought were unfair than just pointing out that someone is supportive (I mean, I'm assuming the book is positive) of Obama and thus must have been a bad debate host

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    can you point out any instances during the debate in which you feel she attempted to ensure an "age of Obama"?

Well at one point she literally said "Romney is a Nazi sympathizer" but with kinda inflection at the end so it was hard to tell whether or not it was a question

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

it is hard to argue that you are fairly moderating a debate that will in part determine whether there is an "age of Obama" at all, as opposed to a one-and-done Presidency, when you are about to release a book discussing said Age of Obama.

I feel like one term or not the first black president probably justifies a book of that title.

Also I don't rember her moderating a debate in 2012

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I recall thinking she was an incredibly milquetoast moderator tbh

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

I disagree - I feel like you're reading the book title and just seeing OBAMA when I would argue the title is referring to the larger conversation about race and politics in an era where a black man was elected president. The other forty-odd presidents were white.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

It's been 5 years dude. I recall that there were several moments that struck me as less than even-handed, but I don't remember details any more.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    (i assume the complaint is motivated by the fact that it's 'public' news but the fox news r-primary debate had a bunch of presumably sympathetic journalists who asked pretty good questions and didn't let candidates off the hook for their nonsense, so I don't think it's a given that being biased -> bad debate host)

P10 on
  • Options
    2012 was Lehrer Crowley and some other guy from
    CBS or something

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Nice try @Chanus I had DK analyze this OP and it was purposely corrupted.

You're being put on academic probation.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

But it's not really an issue because Romney was never going to win.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Eddy wrote: »

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

I disagree - I feel like you're reading the book title and just seeing OBAMA when I would argue the title is referring to the larger conversation about race and politics in an era where a black man was elected president. The other forty-odd presidents were white.

were they?

whoa!

:P

spool32 on
  • Options

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

Step 1: Insult literally half of the country

Step 2: Convince them to vote for me

• Options
    all right guys, sorry to perturb [chat]

The ombudsman at PBS is clearly a fucking moron.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Post-PAX-Depression is so real guys.

Fucking,

going from a job you like and are good at, making a thing you love, with people who are passionate about that thing, where you're empowered to do what's necessary to accomplish your goals

then going back to real work where you work for a joke of a company, with people that don't give a shit, on projects that don't seem to matter, for a boss who is roundly incompetent, and every move you make is drowned in bureaucracy and people upset that you're getting into their silos

fuuuuuuck me I'm glad I got this beer

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

Yeah I mean, is anyone really of the opinion that he didn't lose the election entirely on his own merits?

If there was a liberal conspiracy, what did it accomplish that Romney didn't by simply opening his mouth and giving us binders full of women, corporations are people my friend, and 47% of Americans are free-loaders who don't count?

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

Proceed Governor.

• Options

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

this comment is obviously HUGELY biased

it was slightly less than half the country.

• Options
    Oh pbs

Yeah she looks a little familiar

Man I love npr. I listen to morning edition most days at work

• Options
    all right guys, sorry to perturb [chat]

The ombudsman at PBS is clearly a fucking moron.

I don't think he's a moron, I think he's a butthurt pro-Israel person.

But you know what?

Fuck Bibi.

• Options
    you are getting unreasonably defensive. I'd agree that the tweet wasn't a great idea for a public news journalist, but to call her blatantly left wing partisan based off of that is ridiculous, so you have to make the case. . .

• Options
    edited September 2015
    tbh I think PBS is being incredibly spineless

you're kidding yourself if you think there's any choice between journalists other than "those who are open about their opinions" and "those who are lying to you about not having opinions"

but I'd fully support having presidential debates moderated by foreign journalists to get a bit more impartiality into them

British journalists, say

actually hold the candidates to answering the questions asked

none of this Gwen Ifil let them get away with murder crap

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I would argue it only makes her a patriot but I also don't particularly care if there is a non zero amount of left wingers in the media.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

Who's Gwen Ifill, pops?

this comment is obviously HUGELY biased

it was slightly less than half the country.

I legit couldn't remember if it was 47 or 53

so I compromised

Like a true leader

#VoteNarwhal

• Options
    Idk man

Fox News is a million times more popular and influential than pbs and they're

I mean they're fox news

• Options
    At least

At least your leaders will agree to attend debates

*stares out the window for a while*

#VoteNarwhal

• Options
    tbh I think PBS is being incredibly spineless

you're kidding yourself if you think there's any choice between journalists other than "those who are open about their opinions" and "those who are lying to you about not having opinions"

but I'd fully support having presidential debates moderated by foreign journalists to get a bit more impartiality into them

British journalists, say

actually hold the candidates to answering the questions asked

none of this Gwen Ifil let them get away with murder crap

You're in good company! The National Review agrees.

• Options
    Idk man

Fox News is a million times more popular and influential than pbs and they're

I mean they're fox news
    diff. because private

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It has come to my attention that there is an American tennis player named Jack Sock.

It must have been pretty rough growing up with a name that sounds like something a 14-year-old boy keeps under the mattress next to a worn-out copy of Hustler.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.