Options

[steam] manual says to cut the third wire, but only if it's not blue!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Man, I'm still not sure what to think about the Humble Monthly Bundle thing. They could be good, but £8+ a month for complete unknowns is a hell of a gamble when instead I could just drop £50 on both the Summer and Winter sales and be guaranteed to get stuff I want to play.

I also don't really see the benefit of subscribing either. I mean, unless you can only buy the bundle before it's been revealed, then there is no point in purchasing it in advance. You might as well wait until it is revealed at which point you can decide whether or not you want that bundle for $12. And since bundles are monthly and the subscription is monthly, you could basically decide on a month to month basis whether or not you want it and be better off for it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    it's probably an ok deal for people who haven't bought a lot of bundles and don't already have a massive steam library. I'm closing in on 1000 games, the odds of me getting something I don't already own and that I might like are fairly slim

I'm not sure why they think a subscription for unknown bundles is a good idea? if the bundles are going to be worth the money why not just let people know what games are in it before they decide to part with some cash?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I know it sounds bad but I wish there was a way to filter out all the small time games on steam.

I know some people like them, I don't. They are clogging steam the fuck up

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, I'm still not sure what to think about the Humble Monthly Bundle thing. They could be good, but £8+ a month for complete unknowns is a hell of a gamble when instead I could just drop £50 on both the Summer and Winter sales and be guaranteed to get stuff I want to play.

I also don't really see the benefit of subscribing either. I mean, unless you can only buy the bundle before it's been revealed, then there is no point in purchasing it in advance. You might as well wait until it is revealed at which point you can decide whether or not you want that bundle for $12. And since bundles are monthly and the subscription is monthly, you could basically decide on a month to month basis whether or not you want it and be better off for it.

You can only buy it in advance. If you subscribe, the first bundle you get is the next unrevealed bundle.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Ugh, I know it sounds bad but I wish there was a way to filter out all the small time games on steam.

Obviously this would take some time but you can clean up your library and actually hide games that you don't want to see anymore <cough>Bad Rats<cough>. It's a bit of a house cleaning exercise but it's probably the best way.

EDIT: I totally misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah I don't think there's anything you can do about reducing what shows up in the store.

You can only buy it in advance. If you subscribe, the first bundle you get is the next unrevealed bundle.

I guess that makes sense but still, I know for me I rarely pay more than $10 for the bundles and at this point, I usually already have about half the games. I know this is probably not the norm for a majority of Steam users but for me it's true. Also, I feel like it's bad business to put out a bundle and be like "Hey you didn't buy this one in time even though now you know what it is and think it's totally worth it. But we totally encourage you to subscribe for the next one which, again, you don't know what it is." I suppose they might have a price on the newly revealed bundle of $15-$20 so if you want it you can get it but you could have got it for less if you paid before the reveal.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think the PA Steam Thread is the target market for that monthly mystery bundle. (Although we might be if you could gift subscriptions to 'civilians' with single digit Steam libraries. :) )

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I'm assuming you mean the indie games on the store page?

Sure, you'd filter out some trash, but you'd also filter out most of the best games available, too...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular

Sure, you'd filter out some trash, but you'd also filter out most of the best games available, too...

I don't bump into games I want any more, I'm really not interested in 3 hour arthouse affairs or any of the usual sub-$10 when brand new affairs.

I don't care about them and I never will, but now there is 25 of them sitting between each game I even know the name of, let alone the ones I might actually be interested in

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Iolo wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think the PA Steam Thread is the target market for that monthly mystery bundle. (Although we might be if you could gift subscriptions to 'civilians' with single digit Steam libraries. :) )

"Civilians"? Oh god, have ongoing gift war shenanigans brought us to the point where we distinguish "veterans" and "civilians"? What have we done?

What have we done?

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

"Civilians"? Oh god, have ongoing gift war shenanigans brought us to the point where we distinguish "veterans" and "civilians"? What have we done?

What have we done?

Clearly we need a Gaben Convention to prevent gift crimes.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

What have we done?

Great things.

Terrible. But great.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    Please think of the civilians.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

I don't bump into games I want any more, I'm really not interested in 3 hour arthouse affairs or any of the usual sub-$10 when brand new affairs.

I don't care about them and I never will, but now there is 25 of them sitting between each game I even know the name of, let alone the ones I might actually be interested in

Search by price > $15?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Thanks @Corsini for Frozen Synapse Prime!
    ...What is a Frozen Synapse Prime?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm Mr. Meeseeks! Look at me!

So, I just finished up Arkham Knight's main story, I don't think I will 100% it because fuck Riddler, but it was a great game and I want something else where I can explore open cities and punch people. Any suggestions that aren't GTA and Assassins Creed? If it's Super-heroy that's even better. XD

Have you played Saints Row 3 and 4? SR3 is basically a goofier GTA, and SR4 makes you a superhero. Definitely not in the same league as the Arkham games, IMO, but I enjoyed them.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    cB557 wrote: »
    Thanks Corsini for Frozen Synapse Prime!
    ...What is a Frozen Synapse Prime?

Ooh! That's a fun one. Synchronous multiplayer tactics game, works quite well. The single-player manages to be pretty solid too.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The Humble monthly thing seems cool, but I am already a Xbox Live and PS+ subscriber and I barely even touch those games. And like others here, I'm quickly approaching 1000 games on Steam.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

So, I just finished up Arkham Knight's main story, I don't think I will 100% it because fuck Riddler, but it was a great game and I want something else where I can explore open cities and punch people. Any suggestions that aren't GTA and Assassins Creed? If it's Super-heroy that's even better. XD

Have you played Saints Row 3 and 4? SR3 is basically a goofier GTA, and SR4 makes you a superhero. Definitely not in the same league as the Arkham games, IMO, but I enjoyed them.

Only other game I can think of is Prototype but if you're going for the wackier version of that just play Saints Row 4.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »

Only other game I can think of is Prototype but if you're going for the wackier version of that just play Saints Row 4.

Saint's Row 4 is a better superhero game than anything in the Arkham series.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Saint's Row 4 is a better superhero game than anything in the Arkham series.

It depends on what you want out of it. SR4 is great for over-the-top action, and the ability to blow up aliens with the power of your mind. The Arkham games, however, make you feel like Batman. You're powerful without being invincible, you've got a belt full of cool stuff that lets you take out armed guards in interesting ways, and while it _is_ fun to blow up aliens with my mind, it's a whole different sort of satisfying to clear a combat encounter with an unbroken combo and using every gadget available.

SR4 makes you feel like a coke-fueled Superman whereas the Arkham games genuinely make you feel like Batman.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Everything I loved in Prototype was stolen by Volition

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Haha so basically every Arkham game has been released in October on pc. That's s actually really funny and cool for me :lol:

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Haha so basically every Arkham game has been released in October on pc. That's s actually really funny and cool for me :lol:

City was pushed back to November on PC.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I'd love the option to tell Steam "look, you have all these tags associated with games now. Don't recommend me anything with "Early Access", "Procedural", "Roguelike", or "Metroidvania" in the tags."

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh when you S+ a level with all 9 Androids, you get a special ~PURPLE~ S+!

Ah dang. I'm just never gonna get this, am I? I'm having enough trouble getting an S+ with just Holly.

• Options

City was pushed back to November on PC.

Ah yeah you're right. I'm getting confused with the console version i got

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Woohoo! Looks like I will have actual time to play some games tonight! Anyone feel like returning to a little FNG tonight? (That's "Friday Night Gaming" for any of the new people). I'm up for just about anything but a short list of things that I think would be lots of fun include:

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
    Forced
    Broforce
    Burnout Paradise
    Gauntlet
    Grim Dawn
    Hawken
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
    Borderlands: TPS
    Minimum
    Red Faction Gorilla
    Rise of the Triad
    Smallworld 2
    Sniper Elite 3
    SpeedRunners
    Talisman
    The Witcher Adventure Game
    Wickland

the only game i have on that list is gauntlet, but i havent even played it yet, so game night seems like an awesome time to do that. though i have to mention my mom is visiting me from out of state this weekend and staying with me so i may have to entertain her limiting my availability.

i have to agree with this, im sure there are some hidden gems that id totally miss out on, but the extreme amount of indie games that i know are garbage is getting overwhelming. i mean dad shower simulator? i feel like i have a good sense of humor, but i guess it doesnt extend to spending money and

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Everything I loved in Prototype was stolen by Volition

Speaking of Volition, and fun open world games, how about Red Faction : Guerrilla? The best space asshole simulator every produced. Hit people with a space hammer, and meticulously blow things up in component pieces.

• Options
    DC Universe Online is semi-sorta-kinda open world (in that MMO way), features a big city to run around it, and lets you be a superhero and beat the shit out of bad guys.

And it's free.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm not doing that for the same reason I'm not buying grab bags at TeeFury. Call me old-fashioned but I like to have an inkling of whether something's to my taste before I drop coin on it.

Part of me thinks it's a cool idea, but I'm still not interested. A major component of bundles lately seems to be a lot of random filler games, and my library already has enough of those. That, and while you own the games, I still don't like anything that promotes the concept of games as a service over games as a product.

• Options
    Those of you in the US; watch The Late Show tonight. Sean Murray, of hello games (studio behind No Man's Sky) is on. Big announcement from the tomorrow too, apparently.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    Woohoo! Looks like I will have actual time to play some games tonight! Anyone feel like returning to a little FNG tonight? (That's "Friday Night Gaming" for any of the new people). I'm up for just about anything but a short list of things that I think would be lots of fun include:

Forced
    Broforce
    Burnout Paradise
    Gauntlet
    Grim Dawn
    Hawken
    Minimum
    Red Faction Gorilla
    Rise of the Triad
    Smallworld 2
    Sniper Elite 3
    SpeedRunners
    Talisman
    Wickland

the only game i have on that list is gauntlet, but i havent even played it yet, so game night seems like an awesome time to do that. though i have to mention my mom is visiting me from out of state this weekend and staying with me so i may have to entertain her limiting my availability.

I'm probably only available starting at 10:30 or 11 EST tonight so I understand limited availability. This absolutely does not mean that people can't start without me or get their own games of whatever going.
    Also worth noting that both Lara Croft games are on sale for a couple more hours although rumours are that the netcode was pretty bad in Temple of Osiris. Hawken is also a F2P mech game which people have had fun with in at least 1 FNG in the past and I've always wanted to try it. That being said, I'm absolutely down for some Gauntletry! Let's get some more people!

Also highly recommended for FNG is getting Teamspeak installed. Even if you don't have a mic, if we can get a few of us playing, you can still listen to the conversation. My experience is that PA Steam thread people are great people to play games with. There is a PA Teamspeak server with details in the OP here.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Anyone here played Jotun yet?

Because holy fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB37tkDDNJA

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I honestly don't think of the Prototype games as superhero games. It's more like playing The Thing where you play as the horrible monster that eats people and then becomes them.

I'd love the option to tell Steam "look, you have all these tags associated with games now. Don't recommend me anything with "Early Access", "Procedural", "Roguelike", or "Metroidvania" in the tags."

How . . . How could you?
    vamen wrote: »
    I have a week off work from the 20th.already planned out what I'm playing through :D

What's on the list?

Could be anything.
    SO MUCH STUFF out this month.

i.imgur.com/gtkt6Uf.jpg

I have yet to properly delve into MGS5 and have still to finish Mad Max. There's also Assassins Creed Syndicate and Mighty Number 9 relating this month in Steam.

Destiny on the console side and then one of my all time favourite releases, Uncharted Collection, coming out next week.

I know what's gonna happen though. I'll end up with very little time to actually play shit cause of just how many things I've got to do around the house and in general.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is currently listed as November 19th on it's store page . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Anyone here played Jotun yet?

Because holy fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB37tkDDNJA

It does look awesome. I watched a stream of someone playing it and it seems more puzzle-based than action-based which is probably a good thing. It's on sale on Nuuvem right now for about $6.29 and doesn't seem to have any regional restrictions.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I have a week off work from the 20th.already planned out what I'm playing through :D

What's on the list?

Could be anything.

i.imgur.com/gtkt6Uf.jpg

I have yet to properly delve into MGS5 and have still to finish Mad Max. There's also Assassins Creed Syndicate and Mighty Number 9 relating this month in Steam.

Destiny on the console side and then one of my all time favourite releases, Uncharted Collection, coming out next week.

I know what's gonna happen though. I'll end up with very little time to actually play shit cause of just how many things I've got to do around the house and in general.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is currently listed as November 19th on it's store page . . .

That's genius, Ubisoft. Pushing it into Fallout territory is perfect. :-1:

Oh well, looks like Mad Max, MGSV, Destiny and Uncharted will have to suffice. Not sure how up manage with so few games :lol:

I'm actually wanting to get through the not so high profile games. Games that are a freaking amazing but not pushed into everyone's faces all the time. Life is Strange, Last Tinker, Kairo... That sorta thing.

• Options
    Not sure how up manage with so few games

Welp. Y'all read it here.

@Big Classy needs more games.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

What's on the list?

Could be anything.

i.imgur.com/gtkt6Uf.jpg

MAybe the confluence of both those games around my birthday will be enough to pull me from the clutches of dinoland. But I doubt it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

What's on the list?

Could be anything.

i.imgur.com/gtkt6Uf.jpg

MAybe the confluence of both those games around my birthday will be enough to pull me from the clutches of dinoland. But I doubt it.

The only one coming out on our near mine is Halo 5.... It was Assassins Creed Syndicate and Rainbow Six originally but AC PC got delayed (consoles is still October 23rd which I might have to just nab) and Rainbow six is way off in December.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Forced
    Broforce
    Burnout Paradise
    Gauntlet
    Grim Dawn
    Hawken
    Minimum
    Red Faction Gorilla
    Rise of the Triad
    Smallworld 2
    Sniper Elite 3
    SpeedRunners
    Talisman
    Wickland

I don't have the internet to participate but RF:G should be tried by everyone at least once, at least to make sure multiplayer works.

This discussion has been closed.