Options

[steam] manual says to cut the third wire, but only if it's not blue!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Wow, seriously trying out Depth after a looooong break they've done a lot of improvements. It also helps there is a lot of new blood chumming the water.

Also I'll get you @Destroyah87

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I reinstalled Remember Me and I totally blame somebody in this thread.

I just beat Remember Me.

Yeah, i can understand people not liking this game, but it's objectively a pretty good game.

Only issue i have with the design of it are those enemies that hurt you when you hit them... Those were..... overly annoying.

• Options

I just beat Remember Me.

Yeah, i can understand people not liking this game, but it's objectively a pretty good game.

Only issue i have with the design of it are those enemies that hurt you when you hit them... Those were..... overly annoying.

I...wait....what?

Unless it's some paltry damage that seems like terrible design.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    EbsMLa0.png

@CorriganX is flinging some sort of.... reptilian monkey thing?

I'm not entirely certain.

Thanks! <3

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Karoz wrote: »

I just beat Remember Me.

I...wait....what?

It's really not. You just have to build a combo that hurts them while healing you for more than they're hurting you back. A big part of the combat is building combos to deal with specific enemy types. It's actually quite solid. If you just go in fists swinging, yes, you're gonne get crushed.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

I just beat Remember Me.

I...wait....what?

It's really not. You just have to build a combo that hurts them while healing you for more than they're hurting you back. A big part of the combat is building combos to deal with specific enemy types. It's actually quite solid. If you just go in fists swinging, yes, you're gonne get crushed.

Unless you can build a combo right then and there it sounds pretty terrible.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I just beat Remember Me.

I...wait....what?

You can modify your combos at any time.

So it's far from as bad as people made it out to be, but still more annoying than fun, IMO.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    8V3xU6j.png

See. My point stands. Goddamnit @Antoshka

Thank you. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

I just beat Remember Me.

I...wait....what?

You can. They encourage it. It's great fun.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    WtX1GYw.png

SHENANIGANS!

There's shenanigans going on around here!

@CorriganX started off with a completely unprovoked attack while I was minding my own business, and then @Antoshka hit with the same game minutes later. When he learned that was too late, he struck again!

WTF? I did nothing to you two!

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I just beat Remember Me.

I...wait....what?

You can. They encourage it. It's great fun.

I'd rather have a combo or gadget ready to go for new enemies like the Rocksteady Batman games.

But if you say it's great fun I have nothing to disprove that other than my personal opinion based on very limited evidence.

Karoz on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Haha, The Undergarden. I remember when that game came out, a lot of people here were pretty disturbed at that main character's design. I had forgotten the name of the game until now.

• Options
    Man, Remember Me looks a thousand times better with that damn constant film grain removed.

Why do devs think that EVER looks good? And then provide no in-game option to disable it? Boo, I say! Boo!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    I have no idea what prompted this, but I'm blaming Pixie and eventually @Pixelated Pixie
    huc81211zq4e.jpg

Thanks @Antoshka for Walking Dead, been on the fence about wanting to buy it for awhile.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I'd rather have a combo or gadget ready to go for new enemies like the Rocksteady Batman games.

But if you say it's great fun I have nothing to disprove that other than my personal opinion based on very limited evidence.

The system doesn't really come together until fairly late in the game when you have enough strikes/types and blank combos to fill, but it's quite fun when it does. Unlike Batman-style combat, where the root is "hit X repeatedly," you're learning a few combo patterns (XXYX, etc.) and choosing both the basic effects of your strikes (e.g., max damage, heal, special attack cooldown boost, and ones that amplify the previous slot in the combo) and weighing their position in the combo, as the later the slot, the more its effects are multiplied—putting a pure damage strike at the beginning and end of your combo, the final hit will deal much, much more damage than the first, and likewise with healing/amount of cooldown/chained effect. You only ever have a few blank combos of set lengths to fill, so aside from modifying them on the fly, you're also trying to build a set to cover situations as needed. Maybe your three-strike combo is all heals, since you don't need healing or very potent healing often, while your big eight-strike combo focuses on laying out insane damage—when you've got the room to pull it off.

Though I find the rigorously polished Batman combat much more fun, Remember Me's was (like so many since) based on Arkham's foundation but the build-your-combo system was a good idea that added a layer of strategy and flexibility to the core level which was otherwise just "spam punch until something else comes up."

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    There is apparently some big conspiracy involving @Antoshka, @CorriganX and @Pixelated Pixie to gift me The Undergarden
    Thanks to all three of you =)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    As A Sega MegaDrive kid, this fills me with so much glee! MICRO MACHINES!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/287260/

Made by the same guys and company but due to licensing stuff I think they had to change the name. Not entirely sure. Guy at work told me about it. I have such find memories of that console and this series in particular.

edit

THAT WASN'T EVEN FIVE MINUTES @HiT BiT! Thanks dude, I'm gonna cry tears of joy booting this up!

kdajyRZh.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    There are quite a few reanimated skeletons in gaming.

For our next trick, we should compile a list of games featuring explosive barrels

Was Doom the first? Probably not, but it was my first experience of exploding barrels. They might make no sense, but they are never not fun!

I must say it's very handy of the assorted enemy factions in MGS5 to have all made sure their explode-y barrels are painted red. Very helpful of them.

For reasons.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    @21stCentury I've got another skelly for your pile: Dem Bones from Breath of Death.

Anyways, I'm thinking about the pluses and minuses of pre-purchasing Tales of Zestiria.

Plus: A long, deep, apparently well-reviewed-in-Japan JRPG!
    Minus: I've already got plenty of JRPGs and WRPGs to play.
    Plus: Free visual goodies! Always a sucker for those.
    Minus: Free with purchase. I really don't have fifty dollars to spare for a game right now.
    Plus: It's two games! I have Symphonia and have played Symphonia and would love Symphonia with all the stuff added in recent re-releases.
    Minus: I still have Symphonia for my 'Cube already.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Plus: Steam does refunds now
    Minus: if you don't pre-order then I might not get Symphonia for free

=P

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I don't really know if I'd call Zestiria well reviewed. It actually seems to have gotten a kind of poor to middling reception.

Though half of the negative user reviews out there seem to be Waifu based so some of the negative can be discounted a bit.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that my boss is going to call me tomorrow and tell me that I'm fired.

On the upside, that means plenty of time for games. Full Steam ahead!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that my boss is going to call me tomorrow and tell me that I'm fired.

On the upside, that means plenty of time for games. Full Steam ahead!

How many felonies are we talking?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    May I have your attention, please!

The Stolls von Stollington's Totally Not Impromptu Wasteland 2 Mini-Giveaway has found a winner! The entries were few in number but all hilarious, albeit sometimes at the contestant's expense; judging was difficult, to say the least. But our judges have reached a decision, and a most unusual set of circumstances allows them to share the wealth a bit, as it were.

Entry 1: Our very own @Jazz tells us a tale of torture on the track, topped with a twist of beheading-physics-synonym-that-starts-with-t.
    Firstly, an incident in Forza Motorsport 3. I'd just started an online race when lag or something caused another car to shoot straight at me and smash my car upside-down and over the barrier into the pit lane. It was the weirdest thing I think I've seen in a racing game. And, by the magic that is Forza 3, I can show you this incident as I uploaded it to Youtube. (I believe Forza 3 was the first Xbox 360 game to offer this feature, even though it involved jumping through a few hoops to do it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YpF9-mggo

And, although the video obviously doesn't capture it so there's only my word to go on, somehow I actually managed to come back and win that race. It was set a little longer than normal, which helped, so I had time to make up the lost ground.

The other was when I was in the independent game store I used to work in. This also might be the single most sociopathic thing I've ever done in a video game; you know, besides the genocide and whatnot that we all commit all the time. Or so I tell myself. Anyway. It was a slow day, and I was playing Fable on the original Xbox we had set up as a demo unit (this was during the PS2/Xbox/GC era), and a couple of my regulars were watching. My in-game wife was starting to grate on me a bit, as she was following me around repeating things like "OI LOVES YOU, OI DO" in the traditional Fable country-bumpkin accent. Well. I led her to the bridge outside Bowerstone, and idly took a swing at her with my sword. Her head flew straight off her shoulders and landed next to her body, which collapsed onto the bridge. The nearby guard took exception to this and started heading for me, and I hit the button that made my guy kick. The kick connected with the head and it flew off like a soccer ball, off the bridge and into the river far, far below. I have no idea what happened after that because we were all laughing so hard. I'm still amazed that the game let me do that, and with such perfect physics applied to everything. I don't know any other game that would let that happen. Which is probably just as well...

Entry 2: The good @Quical channels the spirit of Blue Oyster Cult whilst engaging in some astronomy.
    Ever heard of Mass Effect 2? Of course you have. You've heard of it, probably played it.
    Heard about the ps3 version? It's got some bugs.
    I was playing the ps3 version a few years back, i'm fighting my way through the suicide mission, I'm doing pretty well.
    Then I get to the final boss.
    It's kicking my ass. I can't kill it. I've died five times. I can't stop here, I can't go get better weapons, what do I do?

The game hears my cries.
    As i run up to the boss on my sixth try, the floor gives way. I fall, and land on nothing.
    I'm walking on air underneath the platform. The boss doesn't know i'm here. I can see it doing its usual stuff, I can see its not attatched to anything down here, it's just floating.
    I can shoot the boss from down here. The boss can't hit me.
    Holy shit.
    So i proceed to win the fight by shooting at the boss from a completely open area underneath it. As the boss pops up and down around the arena, shooting at my teammates i see the stupid animations it does underneath the arena. How its model contracts and expands and falls into oblivion before popping back up again. It's nuts, but i succeed. After the defeated boss cutscene? I'm back on the platform again.

Mission fucking accomplished.

I'm commander shepherd, and this is my favourite boss strategy on the citadel.

Entry 3: None other than @Pixelated Pixie faces her darkest fear: a game that is a very sore loser.
    The game: Hydrophobia.
    I was having a good old time, enjoying the pretty impressive water physics (because, really, the game was just a glorified tech demo for water). Made my way through the game, murderkilled lots of deserving souls. And then I got to the end boss.

This was the most bullshitty, rage-inducing endgame boss fight in my memory. It was like the game pulled a complete 180 and threw mechanics out there that hadn't been used in the entire game. I was unprepared and I died horribly.

Repeatedly.

I was on the verge of a ragequit but kept going anyway.

And then it happened. I hit my stride and I was beating the boss. Victory was within reach. I was practically squirming with excitement to be done with this. It only had a sliver of health left... just another hit or two...

The game must have sensed my joy... because that boss? It just up and quit. Exited stage left, bounced right off the screen. Totally bugged out and did not reappear. I waited about 10 minutes. No boss. I alt-tabbed and started googling... nope, this was not supposed to happen.

The game ragequit on me!

There was no way to progress. I had to force quit the game and go back to the before-the-fight autosave and do it all over again.

There were not words for my anger that day. I hold a special place in my heart for that game. It's not a good place.

All sterling entries in my book. And the winner is...
    Pixelated Pixie, for her award-winning tale of anguish that explains that shouting I heard a while back! Congratulations, Pix! Consider the package on its way :)

But that's not all! Both Pixie and Jazz, in their trademark classy fashions, had elected to receive only the physical rewards in the event of their victory, passing the game key itself to some other lucky participant. Thankfully, Quical is both runner-up and eligible for the Steam code; the code has been delivered and confirmed as working! Enjoy the game, my friend!

Thanks to all participants, special thanks to the judges for their prompt responses, and thank you, Steam thread viewer, for being your usual classy self! Have a good day everybody!

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Big Classy wrote: »

Made by the same guys and company but due to licensing stuff I think they had to change the name. Not entirely sure. Guy at work told me about it. I have such find memories of that console and this series in particular.

edit

THAT WASN'T EVEN FIVE MINUTES @HiT BiT! Thanks dude, I'm gonna cry tears of joy booting this up!

Speaking of MegaDrive kids (I was one of them), is there anywhere online where one can purchase a copy of Phantasy Star that can be played on a computer? I know that II through IV are available on Steam, but I want to experience that OG goodness.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Huh, looks like someone on Reddit is filing a lawsuit against Valve for their support. I hope he wins, but it looks like he's getting the attention necessary to get his account back.

Some of the people on Reddit are scary in their devotion to Valve. Stuff in that thread, and stuff I've seen in my own posts just blindly against anyone that says a negative word against Valve. How anyone can think their support is acceptable is beyond me (which means they've probably never had to actually use it).

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Woo! I won a thing!

Thanks @Stolls - you're awesome! <3

And thanks to the devs of Hydrophobia for making a brilliant water tech demo wrapped around a buggy mess!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Thank you @Stolls !!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    edited October 2015

The system doesn't really come together until fairly late in the game when you have enough strikes/types and blank combos to fill, but it's quite fun when it does. Unlike Batman-style combat, where the root is "hit X repeatedly," you're learning a few combo patterns (XXYX, etc.) and choosing both the basic effects of your strikes (e.g., max damage, heal, special attack cooldown boost, and ones that amplify the previous slot in the combo) and weighing their position in the combo, as the later the slot, the more its effects are multiplied—putting a pure damage strike at the beginning and end of your combo, the final hit will deal much, much more damage than the first, and likewise with healing/amount of cooldown/chained effect. You only ever have a few blank combos of set lengths to fill, so aside from modifying them on the fly, you're also trying to build a set to cover situations as needed. Maybe your three-strike combo is all heals, since you don't need healing or very potent healing often, while your big eight-strike combo focuses on laying out insane damage—when you've got the room to pull it off.

Though I find the rigorously polished Batman combat much more fun, Remember Me's was (like so many since) based on Arkham's foundation but the build-your-combo system was a good idea that added a layer of strategy and flexibility to the core level which was otherwise just "spam punch until something else comes up."

I'll have to see it for myself but saying it doesn't come together until late in the game and then you're using it to cover for the various situations makes it sound like you're still just better off with preset combos. Either I need to switch up my combos when I'm fighting certain enemies (tedious) or I devout a combo slot, which are apparently limited, to fighting a certain type of enemy (basically preset). So with customization I would just end up making a Foo Strategy, just some sort of easily executed combo that is super effective until it isn't. Which, if the game hasn't properly nudged me out of a Foo Strategy early enough, is a problem unto itself.

Thanks for trying to explain it to me and I'm glad such a system exists. There is potential there, it just sounds lackluster compared to already having a wealth of moves built in. I guess it just isn't for me.

Karoz on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Huh, looks like someone on Reddit is filing a lawsuit against Valve for their support. I hope he wins, but it looks like he's getting the attention necessary to get his account back.

Some of the people on Reddit are scary in their devotion to Valve. Stuff in that thread, and stuff I've seen in my own posts just blindly against anyone that says a negative word against Valve. How anyone can think their support is acceptable is beyond me (which means they've probably never had to actually use it).

I honestly don't understand how anyone can defend valve's support. I've only used it once and it was a terrible experience

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Remember Me feels like the half baked first game in a series that could have been awesome in a sequel.

It wasn't terrible, but aside from art direction I don't think I'd call it good.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Remember Me feels like the half baked first game in a series that could have been awesome in a sequel.

It wasn't terrible, but aside from art direction I don't think I'd call it good.

The problem is that Remember Me isn't a AAA game, but the art and visuals make it mostly look like one, so people judge it like one. It's a solid single or double A, though.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    every time I see AAA I have no idea what it means, I have even less idea what A and double A would mean

I enjoyed Remember Me, it definitely has it's problems but overall it was really enjoyable
    Big Classy wrote: »

edit

I didn't even know this was on sale until I saw your post, £3 for new micro machines!! I'll have that :) played a coupe of races and it seems a bit on the easy side so far but still enjoyable

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    WOOO!

My PC is undeaded! :D

Time to get caught up on all this vidya!

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    What I have learned today: 1. you can "accidentally" book a six hour cruise 2. The boat has wifi 3.I can check up on Steam (and thread) ON A BOAT. Until the battery gives out anyway. 4. Maine is a weird/cool place.

Living in the future, people.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    How do you accidentally a cruise?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

It usually happens when you're in a hurry and not looking at what you're doing.

Or in other words, when you're booking it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

I'm counting the days until travel arrangements are gifted in this thread.

"Honey, who is... uh 'Big Isy'... and why did they apparently send us tickets to Maui?"

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Stolls wrote: »

I'm counting the days until travel arrangements are gifted in this thread.

"Honey, who is... uh 'Big Isy'... and why did they apparently send us tickets to Maui?"

You just gave them the idea. I hope you're happy.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

The art direction was fabulous, and too infrequent sections where you re-write people's memories were interesting and unique.

If Remember Me had much more exploration and fucking with memory bits and less repetitive combat, it would have been awesome.

As it is, it's still worth playing, just not worth spending new AAA release money on.

This discussion has been closed.