As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    USB Keyboard typing is a standard feature on most consoles.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Yoshi has surprised me quite a bit. I never played any of the other Yoshi games, sadly, but I couldn't resist the yarn design.
    With the collectibles, do they all have to be in one go? Or if I get all the stamps, flowers, and beads, can I go back and only worry about getting the max hearts?
    Also I'm not quite sure on how the stamps work. Are they actually hidden behind beads or are they generated after getting a certain amount of beads? I haven't paid enough attention to notice.

I hadn't played my WiiU in a while and I noticed Toad Treasure Tracker was in the slot, which I've BARELY played a handful of levels in, I need to get back to that, it was very pleasant and charming from the little I played.

I really really really enjoyed Wooly World, one of few games I 100%d. It was rare I needed to play a stage more than twice to find everything. Generally:

- Stamps are hidden in gems, they're the same gems every time. If you look carefully you can see the stamped one has a tiny icon inside it.
    - If there's a route over/under a platform, try both, it might reveal a secret.
    - Walls you can push are usually textured differently, you get used to them.
    - Head left at the start of a level.
    - Jump in to free space above a door/pipe.
    - Yarn balls reveal stuff, throw them.
    - Kill big-ish beasties, they sometimes hide secrets.
    - Once you've progressed a few stages in you'll unlock the "show secrets" badge. This can be really useful on the odd frustrating stage where you just can't find that last stamp (It'll make the "stamp" gem shine and also highlight hidden areas, and make hidden yarn balls appear without you having to pass over them).
    - Learn where things might be hidden based on where things have been hidden on previous levels.
    - There's always a yarn ball holding hearts before a boss, bounce around to find it.

Honestly, it was so charming and relaxing that I rarely objected to going through a level again to explore it further, most of the fun of the game is in exploring each level to it's fullest.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    USB Keyboard typing is a standard feature on most consoles.

Sure, they've been supported on Wii and Wii U in the past for various games and apps, but I call it out as a cool thing here because SmileBASIC on DS and 3DS don't have it for obvious reasons. You have to type via touch screen and autocomplete, or use some sort of transfer solution which has been kind of janky thus far. DS had a homebrew PC program that could generate QR codes so you could type on PC and scan to DS, and 3DS has some sort of audio transfer thing.

It's been a complaint for a while now, so nice to hear we'll finally be able to use a keyboard.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Holy cow, you 100%'d it already?
    And here I am only finishing a game once every few months. =)

"Head left" is one of the first things I learned to do in the game. Seems like a very common hiding strategy.

vamen on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

"Head left" is one of the first things I learned to do in the game. Seems like a very common hiding strategy.

The game came out in Europe a few months ago.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Ah, I didn't realize that. I thought you just had a super awesome weekend =)

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Well, I did, but it wasn't related to that, since i'm not in europe ;)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Well, I did, but it wasn't related to that, since i'm not in europe ;)

Fair enough! =)

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Still no direct info?

Whyyyy.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    They feed on suffering.

Or maybe it's this week.

Or maybe not until January.

One of those.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm beginning to think all the news we are going to get from Nintendo for the next few months is going to be in the form of random posts on Twitter.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I find it a little saddening that excitement seems minimal for the new Zero/Fatal Frame. It's THE game concept most perfect for WiiU and its tablet, yet Maiden of Black Water has no thread, the existing Fatal Frame thread was last active in 2013, and there hasn't been much discussion otherwise.

I've spent the past week watching longplays of 2 (Wii remake), 3, and 4 (Wii exclusive). 4 looked excellent in terms of story, environment, and distinguishing itself from the first three. It's a shame there was no official English release. 5 only seems to build on that excellence, and its release the week before Halloween is optimal timing.

Well, even if the niche has shrunk to the size of a closet, I'm still ready to be haunted. I'll have some spooky evenings indeed.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Lack of hype may be that it's download only in North America. While Europe gets a super awesome limited edition.

I for one cannot wait for Fatal Frame and will be downloading it as soon as I can.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fatal Frame was already niche as fuck

And the last time we got one was ten years ago

And it's now on the worst-selling console of this gen

The lack of any hype makes complete sense

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So the "Unlimited Watermelon" badge in Yoshi is a godsend. Just spray & pray all over the screen and it'll find every goddamn hidden cloud on the screen.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    So the "Unlimited Watermelon" badge in Yoshi is a godsend. Just spray & pray all over the screen and it'll find every goddamn hidden cloud on the screen.

Or use the hidden items badge.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Or use the hidden items badge.

I was not aware there was such a thing.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Lack of hype may be that it's download only in North America. While Europe gets a super awesome limited edition.

I for one cannot wait for Fatal Frame and will be downloading it as soon as I can.

That explains why I cannot find it in person thank you

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, has anyone found out if they cut the Japanese version bonus costumes from the game yet? I'm honestly curious.

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    According to the NWR review I read today, the Japanese bonus costumes have indeed been cut.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    What were they?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    What were they?

Extremely revealing bikini style bathing suits.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    According to the NWR review I read today, the Japanese bonus costumes have indeed been cut.

I'm saddened but not surprised considering what they are and Nintendo's family friendly image in the west. At least NoA developed alternatives instead of just straight cutting content. So good on NoA.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    What were they?

Extremely revealing bikini style bathing suits.

Good riddance.

• Options
    PG-13 at worst.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    PG-13 at worst.

Yeah, I did a quick image search on them just now and they didn't seem that bad. Looks like they were replaced by ZSS and Zelda costumes though? Way cooler bonus costumes to have IMO.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    PG-13 at worst.

Yeah, I did a quick image search on them just now and they didn't seem that bad. Looks like they were replaced by ZSS and Zelda costumes though? Way cooler bonus costumes to have IMO.

I'm heavily against censorship in all forms, but I do have to agree the replacements are better costumes for a Nintendo console game. The ZSS and Zelda costumes are just good. Credit where credit's do and all that. I'd rather they be additions instead of replacements, but /shrug.

And a personal opinion, but I consider the skintight ZSS costume more sexual. Less revealing, but more sexual.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    PG-13 at worst.

I'm heavily against censorship in all forms, but I do have to agree the replacements are better costumes for a Nintendo console game. The ZSS and Zelda costumes are just good. Credit where credit's do and all that. I'd rather they be additions instead of replacements, but /shrug.

And a personal opinion, but I consider the skintight ZSS costume more sexual. Less revealing, but more sexual.

That's not censorship.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So if you're not really into survival horror stuff, then this new Fatal Frame is a no go?

• Options
    So if you're not really into survival horror stuff, then this new Fatal Frame is a no go?
    Fatal Frame isn't really survival horror; it's just really really fucking scary.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Fatal Frame isn't really survival horror; it's just really really fucking scary.

The first game was sufficiently terrifying, but I didn't get very far because the controls were poop. I'm hoping that the new one controls better, because I wouldn't mind a nice scary game to play for Halloween.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The first game was sufficiently terrifying, but I didn't get very far because the controls were poop. I'm hoping that the new one controls better, because I wouldn't mind a nice scary game to play for Halloween.

The Xbox versions of the first two Fatal Frames have improved controls and work on a 360 in BC mode, so I recommend trying those if you ever get the chance.

The Wii controls for 4 were great.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I was pretty stoked for the Fatal Frame game but right now my time is severely limited. I am, however, in dire need of a horror game. Does it involve running a lot? I hate the kind of games that make you run from everything and hide in cupboards until the monster runs away.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I wouldn't call it survival horror so much as just really tense. You have to fight off a lot of ghosts and your means of doing so is a spiritual camera that damages the ghosts when you take photos of them. You can collect better films to do more damage, but there's generally a base film you have an unlimited supply of and the base film really works for almost all fights so you can save the better film for boss fights. You're not really resource-constrained ever and there's unlimited saves.

The tension comes from the way combat works; you have to go from movement mode to camera mode so you're stuck in place and there's a delay raising the camera; then you need to wait for the best possible moment - when the ghost is about to rip your face off - to take a photo which damages it and knocks it back. So there's a lot of "is the ghost just feinting an attack or IS THIS IT ERMAGAHD PUSH THE SHUTTER BUTTON"

Or alternately, that was just a feint, you didn't hurt it much, you certainly didn't knock it back and you're hearing the sound of the next shot of film winding into place, during which time the ghost may decide to come in for the kill.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ars refers to it as Scary Pokemon Snap : http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/10/fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water-review-ghost-emon-snap/

Sounds really promising - basically awesome game with some poor production values in areas.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I was pretty stoked for the Fatal Frame game but right now my time is severely limited. I am, however, in dire need of a horror game. Does it involve running a lot? I hate the kind of games that make you run from everything and hide in cupboards until the monster runs away.

The FF series only had hiding as a mechanic in one game that I know of and only for one of the characters.

I mean you just can't hide from ghosts unless they want you to think that you're hiding from them.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It's gotten an interesting range of reviews. People who loved old Fatal Frame for just what it was seem to rate it highly (it's maxed at 85%), while those who are fans of more contemporary horror games have crapped all over it (as low as 40% from a few places). Complaints are that it doesn't change the formula and only tries a few new things, virtues are an improved camera obscura system and your character can run now, speeding things up for segments you've done before.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    It's gotten an interesting range of reviews. People who loved old Fatal Frame for just what it was seem to rate it highly (it's maxed at 85%), while those who are fans of more contemporary horror games have crapped all over it (as low as 40% from a few places). Complaints are that it doesn't change the formula and only tries a few new things, virtues are an improved camera obscura system and your character can run now, speeding things up for segments you've done before.

Your character could always run.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

I like the sound of this. Thanks for looking into it @Mr Khan