Options

Not a Dream! Not a Hoax! Not an Imaginary [Superhero Thread]!

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    DidYouKnowGaming put up a video that goes into the cancelled first-person avengers game. Interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bd4OeguMpI

It also makes me really sad at the lack of big budget Marvel games

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Watching ep. 2 of Jessica Jones. Just introduced to Robyn. Yup, don't like her. I assume she gets worse?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Marvel has definitely not been focused on big-budget video games lately

I wonder if that's got anything to do with Disney and their pull away from major video games a few years ago

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I wonder if that's got anything to do with Disney and their pull away from major video games a few years ago

It is weird that they haven't nailed down a third-party developer for big Marvel stuff (like they did with EA and Star Wars). Feels like a wasted opportunity.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    oh, the things you could do with tony's "heart" in kingdom hearts 3...

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

They make ridiculous amounts of money on doing AA flash and freemium games, there is really very little incentive to bother with a risk on a full out AAA budget, when they can just make a Flash game that makes a bajillion dollars a day.

I can't say I really blame them either.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Didn't they say earlier this year that they were focusing on better games? It's still a little too early for announcements, I assume

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I think that Robyn is one of the characters that is supposed to represent the five stages of grief in the show. It's super fan theorizing, but it makes a kind of sense with the narrative. This is a show about Jessica and how she moves on, and it has a few characters who really strongly represent some of these concepts.

Full spoilers for JJ
    So, each of the characters go through different stages at different times in the narrative, but after they're placed under Kilgrave's power they largely settle into only one of these roles for most of the remaining runtime.

Denial - Jeri Hogarth

Jeri denies her involvement in the entire incident after Kilgrave escapes. She denies her own involvement while placing blame on Pam for the death of Wendy.

Anger - Will Simpson

Even before taking the red pill, again, Will reacts with anger, he wants to do something and constantly argues that Kilgrave must be killed. He wants to know who's to blame and he wants to deal with them as harshly as possible.

Bargaining - Robyn

She refuses to believe that her brother will not return and continuously tries to avoid or persecute anything that she thinks is related to the cause of her grief. Before Kilgrave this target is Jessica, but after him she believes that anyone or anything could be related to Kilgrave so forcefully tries to remove anything that she thinks is going to cause her harm. She isn't rational, but it is understandable to an extent.

Depression - Hope

The first scene where we see her after he's left she's even lying in bed unwilling or unable to remove herself. Yeah the reason is because Kilgrave told her to, but we're also dealing with subleties of how the narrative is shown to us and the way it choose to introduce her is with extremely typical depression symptoms. Hope becomes despondent after finally waking from Kilgrave's control, we see her most of the time with a completely blank expression and not really seeing much of a reason to go on.

Acceptance - Malcolm

Malcolm pretty rapidly goes through the whole process and settles on accepting his loss and choosing to help others through it. Before he's a mess, but afterwards he's practically the paragon of acceptance within a day or two. It's also interesting that the last scene is after Kilgrave's death and Jessica has gone back into a depression, and afterwards it's Malcolm, who has pushed her towards accepting and dealing with this for several episodes now, who answers her phone as she explains in the narration that it's that people now see her as a hero that leads her to acceptance of the events.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    All I want is Marvel Heroes for the consoles.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I didn't think I could get more upset at the death of THQ...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I didn't think I could get more upset at the death of THQ...

Yeah that actually looks like a really good game, but that seems to be their legacy. There were a number of really good looking games that either got left behind or were sold off never to be heard from again.

Also is Bendis the go-to when video game companies look for Marvel writers?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

It has everything to do with Disney. Disney doesn't do big budget games anymore, because it's way more profitable to churn out Disney Infinity figures and mobile games.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Except Disney owns LucasArts and Star Wars Battlefront exists

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They're likely going to be careful about who they allow to license their properties, but yeah if someone like EA comes to them and says "Yo we want to make this big budget game, and all you have to do is exist and own the IP to make money"

Well they don't have a whole lot of reasons to say no

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Fearghaill wrote: »

LucasArts doesn't exist anymore and Star Wars Battlefront is the result of EA being a major publisher giving them lots of money to make that happen and Disney wants Star Wars to be anywhere and everywhere this year

Meanwhile Marvel has been a thing for like nine years now and there hasn't been a single major game that wasn't a cheap movie-based tie-in, unless you count Marvel Heroes, which I don't really

It's just a shame!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Like Tofu said, Marvel talked about getting back into bigger games this year at either NYCC and SDCC, which is where they announced the Telltale game.

However they also said it is super super early in their planning stage so they won't have anything else to announce or details on the TT game for quite a while.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So does jessicas strength only work on locks or what

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to watching Daredevil on Netflix and I greatly enjoyed it. I'll probably lose Netflix in a month when the current month runs out, unless I somehow get a job in the meantime, so I wanted to finally see it and Jessica Jones. I was only miffed that it took me 13 episodes to finally see the costume, but it was a great origin story.

I watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. After thinking about it, I believe the Purple Man is a great villain for this character. (Yes, I know it was so in the original comic too.) But my thinking is this. The Purple Man haws always sort of been looked down on as a D-list villain. And to an extent, he may be. I have a very high tolerance for the whackier bits of comic book-dom. So my opinion on it is skewed.

But to a street level hero like Jessica Jones, his poers would be utterly devastating. I am liking it so far.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

LucasArts doesn't exist anymore and Star Wars Battlefront is the result of EA being a major publisher giving them lots of money to make that happen and Disney wants Star Wars to be anywhere and everywhere this year

Meanwhile Marvel has been a thing for like nine years now and there hasn't been a single major game that wasn't a cheap movie-based tie-in, unless you count Marvel Heroes, which I don't really

It's just a shame!

There's also a big Star Wars game Visceral is working on with Amy Hennig

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Robyn feels like a character left over from when Jessica Jones was supposed to be on ABC.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what that means

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Slight JJ character spoilers
    cbXDcwM.png

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I'm not sure what that means

Robyn feels like the wacky neighbor getting in on hijinks and annoying the crap out of the protagonist in a more light hearted show, which Jessica Jones would have been had it been on ABC.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Finally finished JJ.

Good series, felt a bit stretched - there were a few episodes after the halfway point that really dragged and could have been trimmed down.

Think I still like Daredevil more, but I'm interested to see where these characters go.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    oh, the things you could do with tony's "heart" in kingdom hearts 3...

If they put a Marvel New York in KH3 (along with literally anything Star Wars), the game will be amazing regardless of what other worlds there are.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I just had a thought regarding the new Spider-Man movie.
    Iron Man is totally going to have a cameo.

Part of the deal with Marvel is that they can use non-Spider-Man characters in their films, and while RDJ's existing contract probably wouldn't apply, Sony has shown a willingness to just back up dumptrucks full of money to try and promote these films. Getting RDJ to show up for 10 minutes so they can slap that all over the trailers seems like a thing Sony would do.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

Part of the deal with Marvel is that they can use non-Spider-Man characters in their films, and while RDJ's existing contract probably wouldn't apply, Sony has shown a willingness to just back up dumptrucks full of money to try and promote these films. Getting RDJ to show up for 10 minutes so they can slap that all over the trailers seems like a thing Sony would do.
    idk that didn't work too hot for the incredible hulk

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Sony has a hard enough time learning from their own mistakes, let alone the mistakes of others from nearly a decade ago. ;)

Though I would say that Iron Man is a hotter commodity now than he was summer of 2008

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Like Tofu said, Marvel talked about getting back into bigger games this year at either NYCC and SDCC, which is where they announced the Telltale game.

However they also said it is super super early in their planning stage so they won't have anything else to announce or details on the TT game for quite a while.

oo , do we at least know what the theme of their Telltale game will be?

I recently discovered this genre and hooboy am I hooked, been through Walking dead s1, Fables and starting BttF probably tonight, and have the rest of them from the create a bundle after that.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Or for Rhino in ASM2.

"Let's totally use the closing shot of the film to get people pumped for a fight that NEVER FUCKING HAPPENS"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Teacher's is a pretty solid blended Scotch, all things considered.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh god dammit

"You arent ten anymore"

God dammit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It seems like that Guardians cartoon is the bane of James Gunn's existence

Cause he now gets a million questions about it when he has nothing to do with it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also it's not very good

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I keep watching the Civil War trailer, which I haven't done since the first Winter Soldier trailer. They're just so much better than the trailers for other MCU movies. I wonder if the Russos have a hand in them.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Wrong thread

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Jessica Jones episode 10
    Well I guess that answers the thinking behind my Morse code question. He couldn't have done it from inside his cell because the virus wouldn't pass. Presumably if he did it while in aerial contact with the listener it would work though?

And now holy shit everybody is doing the exact worst thing possible at all times. Show, I liked that rug fine right under my feet. Fuck, I liked Simpson up until now, too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Jessica Jones episode 10
    Well I guess that answers the thinking behind my Morse code question. He couldn't have done it from inside his cell because the virus wouldn't pass. Presumably if he did it while in aerial contact with the listener it would work though?

And now holy shit everybody is doing the exact worst thing possible at all times. Show, I liked that rug fine right under my feet. Fuck, I liked Simpson up until now, too.

I tho your second sentence might be a more accurate description of why I didn't like it very much as opposed to what I said before

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.