Options

Not a Dream! Not a Hoax! Not an Imaginary [Superhero Thread]!

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I think that tweet fits better for the first 4 episodes. Malcolm is just a side character, and luke while cool is just this dude JJ is boning.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently Reed Moreno, director of Meadowland, did a big interview about how she'd wanna direct Captain Marvel with Olivia Wilde in the role, emphasizing how she wants Carol to be really fucked up and flawed and still be a hero but be a damaged one and then dropped this piece at the end.
    “Maybe Kamala Khan because of her idolizing Carol Danvers and her taking on the Ms. Marvel name after Danvers drops it,” she said. “There could be a scary, obsessive Single White Female or even Black Swan type vibe, which could make for a very dark relationship between the two of them, further complicating Danvers’ journey.”

Please do not hire this lady, Marvel

It's amazing to me how tone deaf this is. Yes, let's take a beloved, bright, positive Muslim-American hero, which is so important during this time when racism and xenophobia against anyone like that is rampant, and make them a villain! Brilliant! Jesus fucking wept.

If anything they should take a cue from Iron Man 2. Have Carol be like Tony in a "kid, you don't want to be like me. I don't even want to be like me!" kinda way and then Kamala is all "Nah, see, you're a hero and an inspiration and I'm gonna prove it."

That would be a good Ms. Marvel story. But I don't know if it would be a good Captain Marvel story.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ms Marvel is seriously my favorite character right now. They better not butcher her like that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Ms Marvel is seriously my favorite character right now. They better not butcher her like that.

Would you take no adaptation at all instead, because that's probably the course for the foreseeable future

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Jessica Jones is actually a very good argument against the concept of excusing shallow characterization for supporting characters because it's not "their story," which is, you know, usually an argument made to excuse when women are given nothing to do in a story other than fall in love with the main character. Even if you just focus on how the show treats its main love interest, in Luke, it's very clear that he's got his own stuff going on, and his own arc.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Would you take no adaptation at all instead, because that's probably the course for the foreseeable future

100% yes

Do it right or don't do it at all

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

The Captain Marvel screenplay is currently being written by Nicole Perlman, who wrote the original script for GotG, and Meg LeFauve, who wrote Inside Out

It is highly unlikely that Morano's ideas are in there

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

The Captain Marvel screenplay is currently being written by Nicole Perlman, who wrote the original script for GotG, and Meg LeFauve, who wrote Inside Out

It is highly unlikely that Morano's ideas are in there

Doesn't mean it can't be rewritten if she was hired

Peyton Reed, Paul Rudd, and Adam McKay rewrote the majority of Ant-Man

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I

dont think its that crazy to prefer not having an adaptation over having her be adapted into a muslim extremist

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I

dont think its that crazy to prefer not having an adaptation over having her be adapted into a muslim extremist

I didn't say that?

I'm just saying it is currently unlikely to see any Ms. Marvel adaptation and somehow THIS is the first time anyone's even mentioned it and that's the best they've got

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's an assumption there that a TV or movie portrayal is an inherently good thing, which is absolutely not the case.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I don't expect her in the MCU for a while (though I wouldn't be surprised if they had a brief reference to her in Captain Marvel), but...I feel like they're going to put her in a cartoon, or something, you know?

I would guess that if she's anywhere near as popular as she is now by the time they release Captain Marvel, they'll try to do something with her, somehow.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Just cause some director talks about their idea for a thing doesn't mean anybody has to hire them for that thing

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I keep seeing that and it's a great point

Except

Malcolm is the best

Takes off cap, reveals hair.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't know.

like, the first season of Agents of SHIELD had a guy kinda fanboying over Captain America, and that was fairly shortly after Avengers. So they could certainly do Kamala as a plot point in Captain Marvel 3. Even have her give Kamala the name Ms Marvel.

But honestly I think they hold off. Kamala is a character that needs to be handled very, very carefully. If they screw her up I think a lot of fans will be pissed, and a lot of upper echelon folks at Disney/Marvel would probably be fine pissing all over what makes her so great.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I finished Jessica Jones last night. Some general thoughts and some specific spoilers for the last episode herein:
    It was really fucking good. I think I liked it better than Daredevil, but both set out to do different things and they both did it exceptionally well. I loved the emphasis on women and women's stories and dealing with PTSD and consent and all of that. It handled it with tact and patience and I loved it.

I saw some writer criticize JJ for feeling super isolated from the rest of the MCU, and I sort of agree. It felt really weird that there wasn't a single mention of the Devil in Hell's Kitchen, save for Claire telling Jessica about him. Don't all these things go on in the same neighbourhood? Does nobody read the papers? But I digress. It's Jessica's story, so I understand that they don't want to mingle series too much. I am really excited to see how Defenders shapes up though; these characters are so clearly defined that I can't wait to see them all interact with one another.

As for the last episode, I was really interested in seeing how they'd deal with Kilgrave. He seemed far too dangerous to let live, but I wasn't sure if the producers/writers were ready to have Jessica be a hero that kills, ya know? I felt like Daredevil made such an effort to not be that guy, and wasn't sure if JJ would be the same. I guess not! I liked it though. It makes her unique. And how do you let Kilgrave get away? You can't. It's also such a fucking incredible moment for Jessica, watching her put Trish at risk but maintaining the control she needs to get close to Kilgrave. Super awesome. Shame Kilgrave won't be back, I guess, but I also don't know what else they could do with him.

• Options
    I finished Jessica Jones last night. Some general thoughts and some specific spoilers for the last episode herein:
    It was really fucking good. I think I liked it better than Daredevil, but both set out to do different things and they both did it exceptionally well. I loved the emphasis on women and women's stories and dealing with PTSD and consent and all of that. It handled it with tact and patience and I loved it.

I saw some writer criticize JJ for feeling super isolated from the rest of the MCU, and I sort of agree. It felt really weird that there wasn't a single mention of the Devil in Hell's Kitchen, save for Claire telling Jessica about him. Don't all these things go on in the same neighbourhood? Does nobody read the papers? But I digress. It's Jessica's story, so I understand that they don't want to mingle series too much. I am really excited to see how Defenders shapes up though; these characters are so clearly defined that I can't wait to see them all interact with one another.

As for the last episode, I was really interested in seeing how they'd deal with Kilgrave. He seemed far too dangerous to let live, but I wasn't sure if the producers/writers were ready to have Jessica be a hero that kills, ya know? I felt like Daredevil made such an effort to not be that guy, and wasn't sure if JJ would be the same. I guess not! I liked it though. It makes her unique. And how do you let Kilgrave get away? You can't. It's also such a fucking incredible moment for Jessica, watching her put Trish at risk but maintaining the control she needs to get close to Kilgrave. Super awesome. Shame Kilgrave won't be back, I guess, but I also don't know what else they could do with him.

JJ
    I feel like if they really want to keep Tenant involved, it'd be very easy for him to manifest as flashbacks or in dream sequences or whatever. I don't want resurrection shenanigans, though, I think it'll be far more interesting to see Jessica deal with not having the threat of him hanging over everything.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Except

Malcolm is the best

Also Simpson is a cool character?
    like hes not a good PERSON, but yeah

I uhh

I mean he's something

Spoilers through episode 10
    That something is a supervillain

Yes?

He's a cool character

Well yeah
    But the tweet says they are either bad or arm candy

And he is definitely a bad dude!

Unless you take bad to mean like, poorly characterized, in which case the tweet is simply not true

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Except

Malcolm is the best

I uhh

I mean he's something

Yes?

He's a cool character

Well yeah

Unless you take bad to mean like, poorly characterized, in which case the tweet is simply not true

That is what I think he means yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Except

Malcolm is the best

I uhh

I mean he's something

Yes?

He's a cool character

Well yeah

That is what I think he means yes

Kilgrave isn't arm candy (I mean, Tennant is a ridiculously attractive and charismatic guy, but the character definitely doesn't exist in that capacity) and I don't see how anyone could call him a bad character, so I think you are misinterpreting the tweet.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's an assumption there that a TV or movie portrayal is an inherently good thing, which is absolutely not the case.

Speaking of, wasn't she supposed to be in one of the Marvel animated TV shows?

• Options
    Are they gonna need to make Mike Colter wear a bag over his head for the Luke Cage series

I don't know if people will be able to handle a show where he's in most of the scenes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Nah, his shirt is just going to get blown off every episode to go all in.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

JJ
    I feel like if they really want to keep Tenant involved, it'd be very easy for him to manifest as flashbacks or in dream sequences or whatever. I don't want resurrection shenanigans, though, I think it'll be far more interesting to see Jessica deal with not having the threat of him hanging over everything.
    Flashback to Kilgrave narrating the events of the last episode and telling everyone to forget about what really happened.

• Options

JJ

Kilgrave did spend the last two episodes
    compelling his father to inject his spine with the stuff that cured his degenerative nerve disease.

Also, he might already have regenerative powers since he lost a tooth in episode 5 and it was fine by the next episode, so was the bruise on his face.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular

No it's not. Why would you even think this?

• Options

JJ

compelling his father to inject his spine with the stuff that cured his degenerative nerve disease.

Also, he might already have regenerative powers since he lost a tooth in episode 5 and it was fine by the next episode, so was the bruise on his face.

well
    I think bringing him back from the dead would be a massive narrative mistake and I definitely don't think they did nearly enough work to justify doing so

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    JJ ending spoilers
    That research surviving and there being a new character with the same powers (perhaps even a bit more purple) would be pretty acceptable though

Have him stick around by virtue of not being THAT much of a piece of shit

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

JJ

I feel like, when Jessica Jones breaks your neck for you, that neck gets broken. Sure, Luke's wife's heart stopped when Jessica punched her, but I'm pretty sure her ribcage was probably done for, too. After all, even the medical examiners were convinced she was hit by a bus. So, as much as I like a good villain to stick around, even money says Kilgrave's spine won't be recovering.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Flash Season 1 is currently a Lightning Deal (lol) on Amazon, DVD and Blu-Ray are each $20.

Season 2 is currently ~$50

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I bit on Marvel's black friday/cyber monday sale on Marvel Unlimited. Seems like a safe bet I can get a decent amount of value out of that for a year of commute reading. I just need to remember to switch out which issues I have loaded up when I have access to the wifi at home or at work. I've read a good amount of Marvel over the years but there's certainly some stuff I just never explored.
    Going to start off with something short like the Uncanny Avengers stuff, but I think I'm going to do a deep dive on Captain America. I only caught a bit of the late 80s run with the Watch Dogs and Walker but I liked that stuff.
    Just need to pick a prime starting point.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Reed Moreno ought to take a bit of advice from Joel Shumacher.
    "Remember, we're making a comic book movie."

• Options
    Is The Pulse worth checking out?
    I read through all of Alias a long ways back but never The Pulse. With the netflix show I've seen that getting brought up a lot as sort of the next chunk of that character's run in the comics.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

JJ

I feel like, when Jessica Jones breaks your neck for you, that neck gets broken. Sure, Luke's wife's heart stopped when Jessica punched her, but I'm pretty sure her ribcage was probably done for, too. After all, even the medical examiners were convinced she was hit by a bus. So, as much as I like a good villain to stick around, even money says Kilgrave's spine won't be recovering.
    Cue him appearing in a wheelchair having surrounded himself with inhumans in the guise of providing them education and a safe place.

:rotate:

• Options

JJ

well
    I think bringing him back from the dead would be a massive narrative mistake and I definitely don't think they did nearly enough work to justify doing so

Hogarth
    also has Hope's aborted fetus.

I would assume that IGH is also aware of Kilgrave.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I read through all of Alias a long ways back but never The Pulse. With the netflix show I've seen that getting brought up a lot as sort of the next chunk of that character's run in the comics.

It was alright. Not as good as the Alias series, but for what it was, not terrible.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

JJ

well

Hogarth
    also has Hope's aborted fetus.
    Not anymore.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Flash Season 1 is currently a Lightning Deal (lol) on Amazon, DVD and Blu-Ray are each $20.

Season 2 is currently ~$50

have you noticed a lightning deal for AoS Season 2 or Agent Carter Season 1?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

Is that even available as a trade?

• Options
    Looks like they put out a The Pulse complete collection trade last year. But I was more browsing through Marvel Unlimited listings.
    I wish you could just add trades to the library or offline listings instead of adding each issue one by one. That 80's to Present Cap run is going to involve a lot of clicking.

This discussion has been closed.