Options

[steam] Winter is Here. Daily Deals are Dead. Long live Daily Deals!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Anyone have any opinions on Agarest Generations of War? It's ~$4 on GMG at the moment and I don't really have any other games to play since i'm putting my Fallout 4 postgame stuff on hold until more mods or the DLC comes out. I could use a long-ass JRPG, but only if it won't drive me insane with stupid anime nonsense like Trails in the Sky did.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, after the rocky start the games industry had, and the re-release of video games as (originally) toys for kids focused materials, the games industry has enjoyed more or less a good run. Some years were drier than others, but as an art form, they keep growing, changing, improving, not just visually, but with story, mechanics, as well as the continued increase in the amount of people see them as a place to make artistic statements. And because of the relative increase in technological ability over such a short amount of time, the "movements" of art history seem shorter as well (though to be fair, most art history periods have gotten frequently shorter; used to be centuries, then shortened until now they are around 50-20 years more recently in history).

I mean, our "nostalgic" period where artists paint what they saw when they were younger is the rough equivalent of modern game makers who use pixels instead of 3D models and fully realized 3D worlds, or veteran creators going back to "make what they love". But it only took maybe 15-20 years total for us to move in that direction, in some cases.

We still of course have problem fields in such a new and interesting industry that combines art, computer science and math with business and marketing, but with the amount of wins, at least artistically, I feel like one could jump into just about any area on the timeline of games and pull up at least a handful of games that awe and inspire.

I can pretend that the SNES, or NES, or Commodore, or PSX, or whatever other generation of console or PC turned out the best games, but truth be told, I think they're all important. Not all of them have been good, but I'd argue video games have had a great and worthy impact on society, technology, and progress, taken as a whole.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinions on Agarest Generations of War? It's ~$4 on GMG at the moment and I don't really have any other games to play since i'm putting my Fallout 4 postgame stuff on hold until more mods or the DLC comes out. I could use a long-ass JRPG, but only if it won't drive me insane with stupid anime nonsense like Trails in the Sky did.

Avoid it. You can find better tactical game play elsewhere. It's a series that's all about the anime.
    2000 was the year I came back to PC gaming after about a 10 or 12 year hiatus (because life happens).

Basically, anything that happened in the 90s, would be an ideal, inexpensive gift...

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular

If Trails was too much anime for you, don't get Agarest. It's worse in that regard. If you're looking for a long JRPG I'd recommend The Last Remnant, though I'm not sure about how much anime nonsense is in it.

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular

I don't like the combat system. It's not crazy jrpg but it gets there a bit with the dating sim aspect. The combat is very much not intuitive where youre best attacks are if you evenly space your characters out at random points so that they can attack.... you know what it's not worth explaining.

Not for you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bluh. Thanks guys.

Yeah i've tried The Last Remnant demo, it didn't really grab me at all. The search continues, I guess.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I always equate JRPG with anime nonsense, so I don't think I'd be of much help.

Edit: to clarify, I usually like anime nonsense. :wink:

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    @CorriganX has ideas on tactics games, that silly named one...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

If TiTS bothered you, Agarest will make you throw your PC out the nearest window.

Bah, way too slow. Note to self: finish thread before responding.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I don't mind anime nonsense. It's when it becomes stupid and annoying anime nonsense instead of dumb and awesome anime nonsense that I check out.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Last remnant isn't bad, and it gets better. It's no lost odyssey but better than infinite undiscovery if you know those. It's pretty good if you don't mind missing out on controlling every action your party does.

Edit: quoted the wrong person, time for me to go home

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Scratchy wrote: »
    @CorriganX has ideas on tactics games, that silly named one...

If you're looking for a tactics-like srpg, Rime Berta and telepath tactics are both really indie game versions, but both are acceptable and pretty decently priced. Rime Berta has you playing as different shrine maiden classes, works out pretty well from what i've played of it.

Telepath tactics focuses on more 'telepath' classes, that let you move enemies around on the map so you can better attack them. More about positioning enemy units than other srpgs, but its pretty good.

If you can find decent deals ont hose two try them out, they're both really indie feeling, but both good.

edit - both are $15 right now, wait for winter sale see if they drop.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Shit, maybe I should just play Lost Odyssey for the third time instead.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Bluh. Thanks guys.

Yeah i've tried The Last Remnant demo, it didn't really grab me at all. The search continues, I guess.

Have you tried Final Fantasy Type-0?
    Though it has some compatibility issues, and I only played it for several hours, I enjoyed it well enough.

Disgaea is coming around February, which is the slugfest of Strategic JRPGs , though I don't know where to put it in the anime scale though. But it's hard not to smirk at moments like the main character's ability to change his self-proclaimed rival's name to be literally "Mid Boss".

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Give last remnant a chance, play through without knowing anything about the systems in place. Or go with Corriganx's for more tactical.

Playing Lost Odyssey again is also never the wrong answer. Dang game "TotheMoon'ed" me a couple times. I'm coining that phrase.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Boo Aviary Attorney got pushed back until Monday to fix a save related bug.

They fixed it already but apparently Steam doesn't allow publishing on the weekends, at least for indie developers.

• Options
    I kind of hate Disgaea. All the characters are just the worst. It doesn't help i'm not very fond of tactics games in the first place, so there was nothing for me to grab on to to elevate it above the aspects I hated.

• Options
    Oh and Agarest is probably the worst JRPG series on Steam. Only notable in that it was one of the first to hit the platform.

Okay, Mugen Souls might be worse now that it's here.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Last remnant isn't bad, and it gets better. It's no lost odyssey but better than infinite undiscovery if you know those. It's pretty good if you don't mind missing out on controlling every action your party does.

Ugh I wanted to like Lost Odyssey, but I just couldn't. No matter how hard it tried it was never as good in battle as Final Fantasy X.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Last Remnant stars one of the most irritating lead characters in existence.

I'd offer up Tales of Zestiria. It is also loaded with anime nonsense, but not distractingly annoying nonsense. I mean, Sorey is basically anime Jesus, and the story itself isn't too noteworthy. Has a fun cast of characters and the battle system is fun (if a little convoluted at times).

Corpekata on
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Ugh I wanted to like Lost Odyssey, but I just couldn't. No matter how hard it tried it was never as good in battle as Final Fantasy X.

I just kept playing because it made me cry like a pansy. The kids are the worst of any kids in any jrpg ever. But the writing and the crying. Made me feel something and as a sociopath that's saying something ;)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Oh and Agarest is probably the worst JRPG series on Steam. Only notable in that it was one of the first to hit the platform.

Okay, Mugen Souls might be worse now that it's here.

What's the problem with Mugen Souls?

• Options
    I kind of hate Disgaea. All the characters are just the worst. It doesn't help i'm not very fond of tactics games in the first place, so there was nothing for me to grab on to to elevate it above the aspects I hated.

Valkyrie Chronicles maybe? Anime as all heck but awesome all around?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    XCOM down. Never have two letter words mattered so much. I tingled, especially as I volunteered a special type of soldier. In hindsight, Leaping Death's baseball cap and earphones were a little lame for such a dramatic scene, but it still kicked ass. The path of the main story was still....sparse for my liking. I would have also enjoyed more character missions like slingshot and enemy within's french delicacy. Who was actually in the ending cutscene. Now to save up for a rig so I can someday play XCOM 2 and marvel at how all this was retconned out.

Best way to search for games that have controller compatibility in my library?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I'd offer up Tales of Zestiria. It is also loaded with anime nonsense, but not distractingly annoying nonsense. I mean, Sorey is basically anime Jesus, and the story itself isn't too noteworthy. Has a fun cast of characters and the battle system is fun (if a little convoluted at times).
    It also holds the record in my book for "Least explained combat system" where it just throws info and stats at your face in a cluttered mess and doesn't tell you what any of it means.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    heenato wrote: »

It also holds the record in my book for "Least explained combat system" where it just throws info and stats at your face in a cluttered mess and doesn't tell you what any of it means.

Know what's bad? I actually can't tell if you mean Zestiria or Last Remnant.

I remember leveling up in LR and getting like "Gluttony + 5" and scratching my head.

Corpekata on
  • Options

Know what's bad? I actually can't tell if you mean Zestiria or Last Remnant.
    Oh. Last remant. Sorry. I didn't notice the part about Zestiria. No, I haven't played tales of Zestiria.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

Owned and completed, and yeah it was pretty good. There were some bad character moments here and there and the battle ranking system annoyed me but overall it was fun.

jclast wrote: »

I just kept playing because it made me cry like a pansy. The kids are the worst of any kids in any jrpg ever. But the writing and the crying. Made me feel something and as a sociopath that's saying something ;)

The 1000 Years of Dreams stories are legitimately some of the most well-written and heartwrenching things i've ever read in any medium.

Don't forget me now, you hear?

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    OK, so how about the Ys series? It slants itself more towards an action JRPG angle.

Can't give a proper recommendation, as I haven't been putting all that much into it. But that soundtrack kicks all sorts of ass.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    I remember leveling up in LR and getting like "Gluttony + 5" and scratching my head.

That reminds me of the faux RPG battles in Kirby Super Star, where it would seeming generate a random stat and number when you beat the battles.

• Options
    Last Remnant or a FF Aistan, you know you want to.

Y's Oath of Felghana is a good starting point if you want an arpg.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

The further I get into Valkyria Chronicles, the less I enjoy its gameplay. It feels less like a strategy game and more like a puzzle game in the sense of needing to figure out how to deal with whatever gimmicky bullshit the game decides to throw at you in each new mission.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Burnage wrote: »

The further I get into Valkyria Chronicles, the less I enjoy its gameplay. It feels less like a strategy game and more like a puzzle game in the sense of needing to figure out how to deal with whatever gimmicky bullshit the game decides to throw at you in each new mission.

After that one mission where the giant tank shows up halfway through and says "fuck your tactics, now i'm a puzzle game" I gave myself a rule that if that ever happened again after the first full party wipe game over on a level i'd just look up a solution in a walkthrough. I think I only had to do that a couple of times after that though, but it was almost always on shitty "boss fights".

Aistan on
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Can't help you, played it on the playstation 3 back in the day. Level up scouts and make it an action game maybe? They can clear levels by themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Glad to see Total Annihilation is on steam. That was probably one of my favourite and most played games as a kid. I loved how it had two whole campaigns to play through at the time. I even installed and played it some years ago out of nostalgia. I could have sworn I had bought it again on Gog.com, but apparently not. I think I still have the original CD somewhere though.

Now if only a remastered Day of the Tentacle would be released on steam.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    This is what I get for asking for suggestions, I guess.

4WxwYzt.jpg

Thanks very much, @Scratchy. It was a while ago that I tried the demo and I don't remember anything about it so hopefully I enjoy what the full game offers.

• Options
    Decent game and now no excuse. Don't look up the combat system, just play it. It's terribly silly and broken.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And then a follow-up with the Steam version of a game that will probably never leave my top 5 video games of all time, the game that I saved up for what seemed like ever when I was 11 to buy with my own money and then played the shit out of, the cartridge which is still in my old SNES still hooked up to my television a foot to my left as I type this.

5mRMClS.jpg

Thanks a bunch, @Scratchy . I may complain about the changes to the graphics but the game is the game, and so it's still one of the best ever made.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Decent game and now no excuse. Don't look up the combat system, just play it. It's terribly silly and broken.
    No, he should look up the combat system because it is IMPENETRABLY OBTUSE.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    No, he should look up the combat system because it is IMPENETRABLY OBTUSE.

Go magic or smackdown all the time you'll be fine, you may end up finding a super secret magic if you go magic....

Wing it the first run.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.