As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    who was she in shield

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    who was she in shield
    the cellist

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Well fuck.

This damn show.

Daisy kissing whatshisdumbface at the end made me groan out load. I wanted so hard to forget that was a thing I actually believed maybe they just weren't doing it any more.

I seriously can never remember his name either.

JUST GO AWAY DUDE.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Lincoln. He's like Season 4 Riley.

Hey I didn't say I wanted to remember.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    So.....no one has brought up
    The Simmons beat that she let Andrew/Lash out to save herself and he wound up killing every inhuman in the room? Then escaped. So Simmons is directly responsible for the death of every inhuman the ATCU captured.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    The Simmons beat that she let Andrew/Lash out to save herself and he wound up killing every inhuman in the room? Then escaped. So Simmons is directly responsible for the death of every inhuman the ATCU captured.
    What's to say? That was pretty god damn heavy.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    So, my assumption is that
    the hyrda-god-zombie-maker requires the host to be dead before it can inhabit it. This means that Coulson letting things get personal results in it making it to Earth. If he had let Ward to his fate (alive) on the planet, it would not have had a ready host to inhabit in time to make it before the portal closed.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Well, there's also
    2zxy352.png
    24e58o2.jpg
    69ls1l.jpg

and

2zqd3eu.jpg

*cough* Amy Acker *cough*

edit: oh shoot, already been mentioned.

I'll be over here beating up Spike.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Brett Dalton talked to Variety about what the finale means for Ward
    the hyrda-god-zombie-maker requires the host to be dead before it can inhabit it. This means that Coulson letting things get personal results in it making it to Earth. If he had let Ward to his fate (alive) on the planet, it would not have had a ready host to inhabit in time to make it before the portal closed.
    It already had Will, who would have killed Fitz and gone through the portal without Coulson being there.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Artereis wrote: »
    Brett
    might just be one of the luckiest actors in a Whedon show. How many others get to play this many different characters?
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg

Has been in every Whedon show except for Firefly. (Guest appearances in Buffy, 2 different main characters on Angel, often referenced but only in 1 episode of SHIELD, major character in Dollhouse)

I don't think it's as much as "She's been in every Whedon show except Firefly" as much as "She's been in every show catering to a Whedon-esque audience except Firefly".
    Person of Interest (because Whedon would have totes given that role to Summer Glau), Supernatural, Justice League, Warehouse 13, How I met your mother, Alias and more...

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

That doesn't even remotely make it his fault.
    He didn't know. He was getting rid of a known threat. People have come back from there, Ward would have found a way. An unintended and unknown consequence of doing something to stop evil can't be blamed on him. If he left Ward alive and he found his way out he would have killed more people. That part was a known. That would have been on his head. So that's what he stopped.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Yea....i guess you're right.
    I'm not very good at this conversation generation.

• Options
    edited December 2015

He didn't know. He was getting rid of a known threat. People have come back from there, Ward would have found a way. An unintended and unknown consequence of doing something to stop evil can't be blamed on him. If he left Ward alive and he found his way out he would have killed more people. That part was a known. That would have been on his head. So that's what he stopped.
    Right, I totally agree it is not intentionally his fault (in that he had no way of knowing). But assuming need-dead-host is how it works, its likely going to cause Coulson some degree of angst or reflection on whether it is ever ok to let it "get personal," since that seems to be one of the themes running through this season.

Edit:
    Basically, Coulson had the classic choice: you have the villain disable/captured/etc. Do you act as judge/jury/executioner? In that moment, for personal reasons, Coulson decided that yes, he would. Whether it was completely justifiable or not (I was shouting at the TV for Coulson to shoot Ward and the head when he first encountered him, so I emotionally thought it was), Coulson will still have to deal with the consequences of taking that path.

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Bobble wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If it was good, it might have gone after Simmons assuming that she was evil, just like other 10,000 years worth of other dudes who got crammed through the wormhole. That would be a pretty cool development.

Further Proof that Simmons is a genocidal maniac, just like the Synopsis guy has been trying to tell us.

Bobble on
  • Options

Right, I totally agree it is not intentionally his fault (in that he had no way of knowing). But assuming need-dead-host is how it works, its likely going to cause Coulson some degree of angst or reflection on whether it is ever ok to let it "get personal," since that seems to be one of the themes running through this season.
    But his decision was still the right one. I'm not saying they would never do that but it wouldn't really work if they did. Because it got personal and then he made the correct choice. That could work if it getting personal caused him to make a bad choice but it didn't. Also Coulson has always been the guy who will just get shit done when it's needed of him. This doesn't seem any different.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

ElJeffe wrote: »
    If it was good, it might have gone after Simmons assuming that she was evil, just like other 10,000 years worth of other dudes who got crammed through the wormhole. That would be a pretty cool development.

Further Proof that Simmons is a genocidal maniac, just like the Synopsis guy has been trying to tell us.

I've gotta be honest,
    the moment she was free I thought she was going to start shiv'ing dudes.

"Hrm, maybe there's something to this 'field agent' thing after all..."

I... may be adopting that version of Simmons in my headcanon.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    This Lincoln/Daisy chemistry feels forced and not organic. While I was never too jazzed about the Fitz/Simmons romance, at least the compassion for each other is well done.

That's because Lincoln is the absolute worst. Maybe if they picked an actor who didn't have a smug smirk on his face 90% of the time things would be better. He's the Hayden Christensen of AoS.

RE: Ward -
    I'm pretty sure Grant Ward is dead. While notWill's wound was bleeding, it also wasn't healing. There was a huge zombie chunk in his leg. My feeling is that DeathWorm keeps the organs/blood working/flowing, but not much else. At least, not on a planet all but bereft of resources. Seems like it may be easier for it to get a new host than repair its current one, based on what little we've seen.

Why do I get the feeling that things are moving towards Coulson leaving the show one way or another? He essentially selected his successor, he crossed the "don't let it get personal" line, and in a way, he's more broken now than he was post-TAHITI. At least there he still had the SHIELD ideal in his head and the reassurance of Fury after the first season was finished. Now, he's just... hurt. Emotionally and physically. I can see a blaze of glory ending for him.

It's not that hes the worst, hes just...like really shoehorned in. Lets give daisey a love interest whos an inhuman too. Thats the only reason thats been given for him and her to care about each other. He barely trusts her the entire season, shes trying to help him because hes getting a raw deal, I get that, but the love interest is way too forced.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Lincoln kind of needs to arc towards being a villain I think....which would be consistent with Daisy's crushes.

Whereas I seriously hope we get a lot more Joey using his powers and being all "this is awesome!"

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    This Lincoln/Daisy chemistry feels forced and not organic. While I was never too jazzed about the Fitz/Simmons romance, at least the compassion for each other is well done.

That's because Lincoln is the absolute worst. Maybe if they picked an actor who didn't have a smug smirk on his face 90% of the time things would be better. He's the Hayden Christensen of AoS.

RE: Ward -
    I'm pretty sure Grant Ward is dead. While notWill's wound was bleeding, it also wasn't healing. There was a huge zombie chunk in his leg. My feeling is that DeathWorm keeps the organs/blood working/flowing, but not much else. At least, not on a planet all but bereft of resources. Seems like it may be easier for it to get a new host than repair its current one, based on what little we've seen.

Why do I get the feeling that things are moving towards Coulson leaving the show one way or another? He essentially selected his successor, he crossed the "don't let it get personal" line, and in a way, he's more broken now than he was post-TAHITI. At least there he still had the SHIELD ideal in his head and the reassurance of Fury after the first season was finished. Now, he's just... hurt. Emotionally and physically. I can see a blaze of glory ending for him.

It's not that hes the worst, hes just...like really shoehorned in. Lets give daisey a love interest whos an inhuman too. Thats the only reason thats been given for him and her to care about each other. He barely trusts her the entire season, shes trying to help him because hes getting a raw deal, I get that, but the love interest is way too forced.

Actually apparently she was the only one he talked to, and they showed that she was in contact with him behind Coulson's back.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Well fuck.

This damn show.

Daisy kissing whatshisdumbface at the end made me groan out load. I wanted so hard to forget that was a thing I actually believed maybe they just weren't doing it any more.

I seriously can never remember his name either.

JUST GO AWAY DUDE.

this would be bad enough on its own, but its so much worse after seeing the chemistry that Coulson and Roz had. right from the very beginning of the season every scene they've had together has been create and the actors did a great job of playing off each other. it helped that the actress really seemed to be loving the role too.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    May: "I'm not"

Best line ever.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Brett
    might just be one of the luckiest actors in a Whedon show. How many others get to play this many different characters?
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg

Has been in every Whedon show except for Firefly. (Guest appearances in Buffy, 2 different main characters on Angel, often referenced but only in 1 episode of SHIELD, major character in Dollhouse)

Minor correction, Amy Acker was never on Buffy.

Also, re: Lincoln this episode. I think it's logical that someone expressed the opinion that
    "Hey this ancient evil thing sounds like bad news, we can't take any chances on it getting through even if we have to leave our guys behind."

It's a thankless opinion to voice because of how the audience generally feels about the characters, but it makes sense that someone would, and people like May and Mac were ultimately willing to do the same.

Oh, I do think he's forced as a love interest, though.

kaceyp on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Upon further reflection regarding the last episode;
    They made a point of tying up a lot of those dudes, I believe Bobbi is specifically shown zip-tying some of the guys they fought and knocked out. At the time I had a very Archer sense of "oh man, how long are you guys out, that's really bad for you".

Just now, thinking over them leveling the castle, it occurred to me that most of those guys probably didn't make it. Like, Lash obviously killed a bunch of dudes (and Inhumans), but May firing probably took out a couple dozen guys as well. They didn't show it (and to be clear I'm glad they didn't), but if you think it over, this episode had a considerable body count. Dozens of Hydra guys in the castle, 8 Inhumans (I'm assuming we'll see TK guy again), most of the people who went to the planet (Well, Ward got better pretty quickly), etc.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Brett
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg

Minor correction, Amy Acker was never on Buffy.

Also, re: Lincoln this episode. I think it's logical that someone expressed the opinion that
    "Hey this ancient evil thing sounds like bad news, we can't take any chances on it getting through even if we have to leave our guys behind."

It's a thankless opinion to voice because of how the audience generally feels about the characters, but it makes sense that someone would, and people like May and Mac were ultimately willing to do the same.

Oh, I do think he's forced as a love interest, though.

Yeah as much as I disagree with his views he's pretty consistent with them and also with his personality.
    The problem is that he's always "we can't waste time we have to abandon them" or "stopping this thing means we have to let these people over here die", which is diametrically opposite to everything that Daisy has stood for over the entire series. They should be getting into constant shouting matches, not making out after a mission. It doesn't make any sense, they have nothing in common other than both having super powers and also he was kind of nice to her once before it turned out he was working for crazy people.

Also he never stops smirking my god that awful smirk, but who knows maybe she's into that, that could just be a preference thing.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That last point is debatable.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Brett
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg
    POI-Amy-Acker.jpg

If you're friends with Amy Acker and she's willing to act in your stuff, you let her act in your stuff.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Coulson and Ward
    Fitz told him to leave Ward and get to the portal. Coulson didn't listen. Since Fitz is always right, Coulson made the wrong choice.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Coulson and Ward
    Fitz told him to leave Ward and get to the portal. Coulson didn't listen. Since Fitz is always right, Coulson made the wrong choice.

Crazy talk:
    Was WILL dead before he got taken over? No (at least it didn't require an outside force). Does Coulson have any reason to think killing Ward would be bad? No. Does he have reason to think it would be good? Hell yes.

Fitz was telling him to hurry so they could escape, not to not kill Ward.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Coulson and Ward

Crazy talk:
    Was WILL dead before he got taken over? No (at least it didn't require an outside force). Does Coulson have any reason to think killing Ward would be bad? No. Does he have reason to think it would be good? Hell yes.

I don't think we have enough information to know if Will was dead before being possessed. Given the large chunk missing from his leg, I'd say it is likely.
    I'm also not sure Fitz is ok with how things went down (int terms of Coulson taking time to kill a subdued Ward instead of just leaving him, and I suspect that is going to cause some friction between the two going forward.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Coulson and Ward

Crazy talk:

I don't think we have enough information to know if Will was dead before being possessed. Given the large chunk missing from his leg, I'd say it is likely.
    I'm also not sure Fitz is ok with how things went down (int terms of Coulson taking time to kill a subdued Ward instead of just leaving him, and I suspect that is going to cause some friction between the two going forward.
    NotWill said that Will died saving Simmons. There's room for debate, of course, but I take that to mean that the body was dead when the parasite inhabited it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    The problem with the whole Coulson
    crossing the line was that everything pretty much turned out fine.

If you look at his actions, he was taking a lot of unnecessary risks and putting other people's lives in danger in order to go after Ward.

He temporarily gave up being director of SHIELD when they needed his leadership the most. He let himself be manipulated by Ward into getting Fitz and Simmons captured by Hydra. He skydived into the portal, which was a really stupid thing to do and could have easily gotten him killed. He had zero plan for what he would do after he got through the portal. He took his time crushing Ward's chest instead of just shooting him and risked getting stranded on the planet.

Things could have turned out terribly at any of those points and they would have been avoidable. However, since everything still turned out fine, there wasn't much consequence to Coulson crossing the line and allowing his judgment to be compromised by his desire for revenge.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I like Coulson and think he's a great second, but after these last two episodes I like Mac better as director of shield.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well thats why he gave up the directorship for a time. Coulson is the ultimate straight man. He never lets his anger out. But what happened to ross was making it impossible for him to do his job and he knew it. He had to get the anger out. He had to have his revenge so he can go back to what he was.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    "How many people have you killed?" he asked, while killing him. Like I get Ward is a bad guy and probably deserved to die, but every field agent on the team has killed people. Including Coulson while asking the question. SHIELD had an assassination division that Coulson knew about before Winter Soldier and still associated with SHIELD. Obviously killing people isn't the hot button, killing people Coulson cares about is.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    How do people think
    Will died? Did Coulson kill him too? Killing Ward had nothing to do with him becoming a host one would assume. If anything you'd assume the opposite. It's just comic book bad luck it turns out how it did.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    How do people think
    Will died? Did Coulson kill him too? Killing Ward had nothing to do with him becoming a host one would assume. If anything you'd assume the opposite. It's just comic book bad luck it turns out how it did.
    "Death" told Fitz that Will died helping Jemma get through the portal. Could be that he bled to death.

I think that "Death" has to possesses dead creatures (humans?).

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    "How many people have you killed?" he asked, while killing him. Like I get Ward is a bad guy and probably deserved to die, but every field agent on the team has killed people. Including Coulson while asking the question. SHIELD had an assassination division that Coulson knew about before Winter Soldier and still associated with SHIELD. Obviously killing people isn't the hot button, killing people Coulson cares about is.

sure?

but that's like comparing a soldier's body count to that of a serial killer

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

sure?

Okay. But aside from his family, everybody Ward killed could be directly linked to his work as a soldier of SHIELD/Hydra or self-defense.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

sure?

Okay. But aside from his family, everybody Ward killed could be directly linked to his work as a soldier of SHIELD/Hydra or self-defense.
    Do you really "work" as a member of a terrorist organization devoted to the overthrow of governments and enslavement of the world?

It's not like "soldier of SHIELD" and "soldier of Hydra" are remotely equivalent.

This discussion has been closed.