As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Well it looks like I'm going to be opening a games store soon. How better to celebrate than using my X-Wing/Armada collections to do a special event called "The Battle of Endor". Going to try to introduce new players to X-Wing and such, give everyone an interesting time and so forth. What I really want to do though, is do some new/different things. For example, maybe having a Lamba Shuttle piloted by Han-Solo (AKA their infiltration of Endor not going so well) and some similar crazy things. It shouldn't be too hard to edit some cards online with new/different art to accomodate.

I have so many ideas, but I'm already getting really excited and super pumped for this.

Cool. Where?

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Well it looks like I'm going to be opening a games store soon. How better to celebrate than using my X-Wing/Armada collections to do a special event called "The Battle of Endor". Going to try to introduce new players to X-Wing and such, give everyone an interesting time and so forth. What I really want to do though, is do some new/different things. For example, maybe having a Lamba Shuttle piloted by Han-Solo (AKA their infiltration of Endor not going so well) and some similar crazy things. It shouldn't be too hard to edit some cards online with new/different art to accomodate.

I have so many ideas, but I'm already getting really excited and super pumped for this.

Cool. Where?

I think he's in Oz or around there ;)

That's awesome! Congrats @Aegeri

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I am opening up my store in Ozzieland :D

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Post pics of your xwing selection. Also your intro game as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That's awesome!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @timspork's ghost

Can you post pics of your ball bearing and magnet setup, and where you got them? I love that idea.

Everyone else:

1) Yes, the ARC-170 is awesome, I love the worn in paint.
    2) The Tail Gunner's "Rear Auxillary Arc" -- is the term rear defined anywhere? I keep thinking back to the YV-666 or whatever Bossk's ship is called. and how its aux arcs are on the sides.. and the icon mirrors that.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Athenor wrote: »
    "timspork's ghost"

Can you post pics of your ball bearing and magnet setup, and where you got them? I love that idea.

Everyone else:

2) The Tail Gunner's "Rear Auxillary Arc" -- is the term rear defined anywhere? I keep thinking back to the YV-666 or whatever Bossk's ship is called. and how its aux arcs are on the sides.. and the icon mirrors that.

Not explicitly, I think. But yeah, "rear" is definitely meant to exclude the YV-666

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    "timspork's ghost"

Everyone else:

Not explicitly, I think. But yeah, "rear" is definitely meant to exclude the YV-666

Besides using this as an opportunity to correct my error on the ship name..

I do wonder. It's limited, so they obviously anticipated that it would go on larger ships. But.. yeah. I'm really curious how that shakes down.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    "timspork's ghost"

Everyone else:

Besides using this as an opportunity to correct my error on the ship name..

I do wonder. It's limited, so they obviously anticipated that it would go on larger ships. But.. yeah. I'm really curious how that shakes down.

Sorry! Totally not my intention to correct like that (I scanned the line quickly and latched onto the 666).

It's also definitely not gonna work on the Shadowcaster since that's a "mobile" firing arc.

I really liked it on the ARC. It was fairly easy to catch enemies in my rear ARC, and didn't even have to worry about using any red maneuvers.

I think scum Kath will really like one as well, but as said before, her blindspots are much larger than a small-base ship.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost

Everyone else:

I will direct you to the following thread as it has all the pertinent info!

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/131037-magnets-how-they-work-for-x-wing-miniatures/

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I so want to do this! Might have to append my secret santa wish list. :)

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Cool. :)

I love how they've grown the X-wing games. Like.. every ARC is obviously supposed to have the Retrofit title, as that is part of the ship, but by making it a title instead of the pilot ability, they make them all have that ability. And then limit to 4/side due to uniqueness.

Edit: And don't worry about the name edit, I knew I had it wrong when I typed it.

Athenor on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Picked up Wave 9 today at my FLGS. I'll open them up tomorrow and play around but I think I might owe the ARC-170 an apology.

What with me having called it a useless flying cow and all...

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Turkson wrote: »
    Picked up Wave 9 today at my FLGS. I'll open them up tomorrow and play around but I think I might owe the ARC-170 an apology.

What with me having called it a useless flying cow and all...

It's definitely one of their best paint jobs too. This game just keeps getting better. It's kind of amazing like that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm. I think I want to stick this shiny collision detector on my shiny new Phantom. Decloak through obstacles ought to make it even harder to pin down. Field only debris clouds and the timing of things means you can completely ignore them on decloak (since if you play a green maneuver that turn you clear the stress right away).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Post pics of your xwing selection. Also your intro game as well.

Yeah I am going to try having an armada battle with the Death Star 2 using Endor mat, then with some Death Star/Station maps have a game of X-Wing with the Rebels trying to blow up the Death Stars power core.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Heh, that made me think, "Why HAVEN'T they released a death star model for Armada.", that seems like a slam dunk for sales.
    Imperial Star Destroyer - 8 inches (1,600 m)
    Death Star - X inches (140 km)

140 km / 1,600 m = 87.5

8 inches * 87.5 = 58.3333 feet.

Armada Death Star = ~58 feet. With the second death star potentially ranging up to 9x that size.

Oh. Well then. Carry on.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Doesn't Armada (and x wing) play pretty loose and fast with scale?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    The fighters in armada aren't to scale. The rest aren't either, but are pretty close I think (outside of a few like the cr-90 being a little bigger than it's supposed to be).

X-wing is 1/270, outside of epic ships which get modified a bit to fit the format.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Morkath wrote: »
    Heh, that made me think, "Why HAVEN'T they released a death star model for Armada.", that seems like a slam dunk for sales.

140 km / 1,600 m = 87.5

Armada Death Star = ~58 feet. With the second death star potentially ranging up to 9x that size.

Oh. Well then. Carry on.

You could always ask for a Super Star Destroyer. Apparently the Executor was 19,000m. (Wookieepedia) What would that be, seven feet long?

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Fuselage wrote: »

140 km / 1,600 m = 87.5

Oh. Well then. Carry on.

You could always ask for a Super Star Destroyer. Apparently the Executor was 19,000m. (Wookieepedia) What would that be, seven feet long?

Closer to 8 I think.

They could probably do a multi piece "scenery kit" for it. Where it is just like the back half quarter, so you get part of the bridge and engines, and then part of the side where the guns are. So you can place it onto the side of the playing field. 4'x1'?

That would probably only end up being like ~$500.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

140 km / 1,600 m = 87.5

Oh. Well then. Carry on.

Closer to 8 I think.

They could probably do a multi piece "scenery kit" for it. Where it is just like the back half quarter, so you get part of the bridge and engines, and then part of the side where the guns are. So you can place it onto the side of the playing field. 4'x1'?

The cheaper option would be to make a game mat out of it, but that would basically be a blanket. You know, you could get a photo of the ship and just have Wal-Mart make it into a blanket to scale, then throw that in a few tables.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

140 km / 1,600 m = 87.5

Oh. Well then. Carry on.

Closer to 8 I think.

The cheaper option would be to make a game mat out of it, but that would basically be a blanket. You know, you could get a photo of the ship and just have Wal-Mart make it into a blanket to scale, then throw that in a few tables.

I'd like to see an option that had both. A full sized play mat with 3-d printed scenery on it to represent the bridge or gun turrets that you had to take out as scenario objectives.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The fighters in armada aren't to scale. The rest aren't either, but are pretty close I think (outside of a few like the cr-90 being a little bigger than it's supposed to be).

X-wing is 1/270, outside of epic ships which get modified a bit to fit the format.

except for the Gozanti, which is 1/270

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    List I am going to try tomorrow.

Norra Wexley -ARC-170
    -Push the Limit
    -Tail Gunner
    -R2-D2
    -Vectored Thrusters
    -Alliance Overhaul

Braylen Stramm -ARC-170
    -Gunner
    -R3-A2
    -Vectored Thrusters
    -Alliance Overhaul

Biggs Darklighter -X-Wing
    -R4-D6
    -Integrated Astromech

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    what kinda foam do folks use in their plano box upper compartment?

• Options
    Foam? None. But I only have templates and rulebook and stuff there. Well, my decimator, but its mostly a big solid block.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    what kinda foam do folks use in their plano box upper compartment?

I only use single level plano's, and I just use trimmed down versions of the plastic thing the ships come in.

• Options
    I use three of these, one for each faction.
    s-l300.jpg

Ship cardboard and tokens go in the clear top part, they are perfectly sized for small ships.

Everything else goes inside.

Except the Ghost and the Houndstooth. They are too big.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    s-l300.jpg

Ship cardboard and tokens go in the clear top part, they are perfectly sized for small ships.

Where do you store Slave 1, the Hwk, the Z-95s and the Y-wings?
    And any other cross-faction ships that I may have forgotten about?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    s-l300.jpg

Where do you store Slave 1, the Hwk, the Z-95s and the Y-wings?
    And any other cross-faction ships that I may have forgotten about?

Hwk and Rebel Y-wings/Z-95s with Rebels. Slave 1, and scum Z-95/Y-Wings in scum.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Foam? None. But I only have templates and rulebook and stuff there. Well, my decimator, but its mostly a big solid block.

the ghost, raider, and gozlanti don't fit anywhere else sadly

• Options
    edited October 2016
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

the ghost, raider, and gozlanti don't fit anywhere else sadly

My Epics just live in a sterilite 16 qt box with all the spare tokens and such.

I did just reorganize. I have a smaller, multi-compartment organizer that has enough basic tokens for any list as well as holding the dice, damage deck, obstacles, and other random things needed for any game. This way, depending on the list I'm playing I just need the faction box and that generic box.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    heroes of the resistance is shipping, which means it should be in stores on the 27th

• Options
    So 5 green squadron pilots with Snap Shot and Crack Shot sounds kinda hilarious...

It may well be awful.

• Options
    Come December, I will be trying Tac Shot Rhymer. But no silly til then because I don't want to go in on a rebel box.

• Options
    God ARC-170s are so cool looking.

htnlbpfqb8wa.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    They remind me of pelicans.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    dang, that paintjob is good

• Options
    The Arc-170's paintjob is the best I've seen in the game. The only, ONLY negative about the unit is the rear facing guns being kind of basic, but it would be incredibly hard to model those properly. I haven't found a single toy of the ARC-170 that does them right.