Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Mother Jones does some good reporting on the shitbag legal group (ADF) pushing the recent wave of bigoted bathroom bills:
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/04/alliance-defending-freedom-lobbies-anti-lgbt-bathroom-bills

I don't think this stuff was any deep secret but I hadn't seen it all put together in one place yet. Turns out ADF is really, truly, undoubtedly a bunch of shitbags! From this recent shit to backing Boy Scout discrimination to supporting Prop 8.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Here's the thing about the PAX panel situation. People say it's not uncommon to get a panel full of teenagers, and that's true.

The problem is that I know for a fact that PAX has historically received way more panel submissions than they have slots for, which means they clearly have to get choosy about which ones are accepted, and there is very little rigor applied to the process in terms of subject knowledge or background in the field. This isn't to say that people should be barred from speaking on a subject because they're inexperienced, but that a) when you are organizing for what is arguably the most prominent force in gaming culture, and b) the topic at hand is something that is this complex, a certain degree of scrutiny should be applied.

Accepting a panel like this tells me that PAX organizes its panel content like a TV station organizes its time slots, and that the panel was chosen not for its value to the attendees, but for PAX's ability to say "We support equality! Look at all this content we have!"

That's not a good look, in my opinion.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So... I tried on some makeup today. And I liked it. But then I freaked out because I didn't know how to remove nail polish without nail polish remover.

...Thank god for the internet. I used toothpaste and it worked really well. Not willing to go out in rural ass NC with painted nails yet.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My hot take on bathroom laws is that anyone in favour of them should be considered a suspected child molestor. Anyone who's been in a relationship with a cheater knows they suspect everyone else of cheating. They think everyone is just like them.

• Options
    Alternatively you can just call them bigots. It's also accurate.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My hot take on bathroom laws is that anyone in favour of them should be considered a suspected child molestor. Anyone who's been in a relationship with a cheater knows they suspect everyone else of cheating. They think everyone is just like them.

Well I mean, Huckabee practically admitted as much.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Alternatively you can just call them bigots. It's also accurate.

They're used to that. I'm seeing how the child molestor accusation goes.

"How so I know they're not in there to touch little girls?"
    "How do I know you're not in the men's to touch little boys?"

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    talking to a friend of mine about bathroom bills the other day, he pointed out that how are they meant to police the law if it's based on people's junk? are they meant to make police check people?

it's like they want an excuse to be able to ask people to drop their pants

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    talking to a friend of mine about bathroom bills the other day, he pointed out that how are they meant to police the law if it's based on people's junk? are they meant to make police check people?

Maybe, but then there's already been multiple stories about cis women getting kicked out of places for using the women's restroom.

Though I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone is forced to "prove" what they have going on down there.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Maybe, but then there's already been multiple stories about cis women getting kicked out of places for using the women's restroom.

Though I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone is forced to "prove" what they have going on down there.

yeah, probably because those women didn't want to "prove" anything to some stranger

if you have to choose between that and leaving the restroom when you're already in a very stressful situation I think I know which one most folks would take

but basically the idea is that the law is either policed by scaring people enough that they leave, or forcing them to "prove" it by doing something awful. it's gross that they think that is a better option

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

yeah, probably because those women didn't want to "prove" anything to some stranger

if you have to choose between that and leaving the restroom when you're already in a very stressful situation I think I know which one most folks would take

but basically the idea is that the law is either policed by scaring people enough that they leave, or forcing them to "prove" it by doing something awful. it's gross that they think that is a better option

The solution they're pushing for is "don't look like you don't belong" in which case you won't have to "prove" anything. It's a clever variation on "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    hmm, perhaps i could look like i belong if they'd cover some surgeries

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

The solution they're pushing for is "don't look like you don't belong" in which case you won't have to "prove" anything. It's a clever variation on "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear."

so shit on trans people and as a bonus enforce gender norms to shit on everyone.

Wonderful

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

They want you, the good citizen, to keep an eye out and involve the police as needed.
    Raleigh, NC — At a press conference today, North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory took further steps to ensure that his controversial bill, HB2, will be upheld when it comes to law enforcement. McCrory announced that his office has setup a 24-hour hotline for individuals to call if they witness someone not abiding by the new law.

“If you see a woman, who doesn’t look like a woman, using the woman’s restroom, be vigilant, call the hotline, and report that individual.” McCrory told reporters. “We need our state to unite as one if we’re going to keep our children safe from all the sexual predators and other aberrant behavior that is out there.”

Pat McCrory remains a human tire fire.

• Options
    What the fuck is that guy's problem

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    very excited to flood that hotline with hot chocolate high velocity 24/7

• Options
    I'm going to set up a robocaller

• Options
    Can a robocaller forward them to a for pay gay hotline for sweet gay ass

Maybe just a voiceover of me reading chick tingle books

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'd just forward it to a continuous loop of dial-up connection noise.

• Options
    Again gonna point out that McCrory is the sane one compared to the legislature. Fuck em. Fuck em all.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    "aberrant behavior" eh

that's not a fucking terrifying phrase or anything

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Again gonna point out that McCrory is the sane one compared to the legislature. Fuck em. Fuck em all.

Seriously?

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Can a robocaller forward them to a for pay gay hotline for sweet gay ass

Maybe just a voiceover of me reading chick tingle books

I was going to make a joke about that and then I looked up the name and the reality is actually way dirtier, so yeah

• Options
    Yes. The legislature hasn't even been effected by the criticism. They just don't fucking care because they know they'll still get reelected. McCrory at least has to try and give lip service to acting moderately because his political position is a lot less stable.

Like I don't see how HB2 will get repealed outside of the courts, and I see no negative effects for any North Carolina political figures with the possible exception of McCrory. I desperately, desperately want the legislature to pay for this, but they literally have no shame.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It's like, man, this shit doesn't just affect trans people either. It's basically a hotline for people to narc on whoever looks even the slightest off from whatever bullshit gender ideal. You can get the authorities sicced on you for not looking manly or womanly enough regardless of gender identity.

This is so fucking pants-on-head stupidly bad I can't even.

• Options
    How long before this ends up in court?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    possibly years? till it goes all the way up

Gundi on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It's like, man, this shit doesn't just affect trans people either. It's basically a hotline for people to narc on whoever looks even the slightest off from whatever bullshit gender ideal. You can get the authorities sicced on you for not looking manly or womanly enough regardless of gender identity.

Yeah just last year a cis woman got violently thrown out of a building because someone thought she was trans.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    The dress I got has a more open back so yesterday I shaved it and asked my mom how I did and she just said I missed a few spots. Today she came at me crying because she thought she was too harsh and really wants to be supportive and she thought she had made me upset and I was just hiding it. Then we hugged and she cried about how she felt I was being more supportive of her than she was of me. I feel like this is the closest and most open me and my mom have ever been with each other.

Also she said she's been thinking a lot about what makes someone a man or a woman and she wants to get some sort of introduction to the conversation around gender, does anyone here have something on hand I could pass along? She's a nurse so, like, you're probably also helping trans people going through that hospital have a better time.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    I read She's Not There a few years ago but it might not be up to date with current thinking

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular

Potty SWATty

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Yeah just last year a cis woman got violently thrown out of a building because someone thought she was trans.

Like, I don't want to give the impression that I'm saying, "Think of the poor cis people!" because that's totally not the point. But when you explicitly encourage people to foster this paranoid bathroom vigilance like some kind of Baby's First Police State, what are you even doing? What are you doing?

• Options
    Why didn't the governor refuse to sign it?

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

They want you, the good citizen, to keep an eye out and involve the police as needed.
    Raleigh, NC — At a press conference today, North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory took further steps to ensure that his controversial bill, HB2, will be upheld when it comes to law enforcement. McCrory announced that his office has setup a 24-hour hotline for individuals to call if they witness someone not abiding by the new law.

“If you see a woman, who doesn’t look like a woman, using the woman’s restroom, be vigilant, call the hotline, and report that individual.” McCrory told reporters. “We need our state to unite as one if we’re going to keep our children safe from all the sexual predators and other aberrant behavior that is out there.”

Not that he isn't, but that's a fake website set up to look like ABC news. Note the URL.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

Not that he isn't, but that's a fake website set up to look like ABC news. Note the URL.

Oh, bullpoop. It popped up on my facebook feed and looked legit.

• Options
    Why didn't the governor refuse to sign it?
    Because he thought it'd be an easy simple political win because the GOP is fucking nuts.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Fortunately, yes, that hotline to report people using the bathroom does indeed appear to be fake.

What doesn't appear to be fake, however, is that trans suicide hotline calls have almost doubled since HB2.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/20/after-north-carolina-s-law-trans-suicide-hotline-calls-double.html

Fuck those legislators.

Neco on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Well, I think I've officially entered the awkward phase where I can't reasonably pretend that my breasts aren't visible through my shirt, but also I'm god knows how many months away from electrolysis progressing to the point that I can present full-time. Which is kind of exciting but also kind of bad.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Well, I think I've officially entered the awkward phase where I can't reasonably pretend that my breasts aren't visible through my shirt, but also I'm god knows how many months away from electrolysis progressing to the point that I can present full-time. Which is kind of exciting but also kind of bad.

Right there too. Getting lots of stares. Or at least I feel like I am.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.