Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Holy fucking hell. I'm not surprised (and I quite expected) the end result of these bills to be people are going to have to show ID to use the restroom if there is any question about gender.

But holy fucking shit, there is no fucking reason why people should have to show ID to use a restroom!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It probably was relevant.

Not even a little, actually! Sexual preference and gender identity have nothing to do with one another, nor do they impact where you pee or whether or not you're being a weirdo.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My birth certificate actually says female on it, though I am a trans woman.
    I'm wondering how police would resolve that.
    Probably in a way that I would not appreciate.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »

Not even a little, actually! Sexual preference and gender identity have nothing to do with one another, nor do they impact where you pee or whether or not you're being a weirdo.

I think they probably meant it was relevant to the cop

Which

Yeah maybe

• Options

Which

Yeah maybe

Using it as a justification for bigotry doesn't make it "relevant" - it actually highlights why clarifying this distinction is really rather important

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah, I meant to the cop. Oppression is intersectional.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Though sexual orientation and gender identity have nothing to do with eachother, gay women historically have done a whole lot of gender nonconformity, and also tend to make straight dudes hella uncomfortable when they dont go along with gender norms. How dare this dyke not dress like a lady, etc. so i can see why its brought up in the context, as i suspect this will be used to harass a bunch of ladygays as well as trans women.

I used to think it was funny when i got momentary questioning looks from people in public bathrooms. Because you'd have to be a jackass to say anything.

Now its just scary. As a genderqueer, like, im just doomed to never pee in those states, i guess.

• Options
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    My life is full of a fuckton of being called every pronoun under the sun, and i love it. But now with the news, when someone looks vaguely uncomfortable or squirmy, its more like 'oh fuck are they gonna get mad and do something terrible?' Instead of 'hahaha yeesss let their brain sizzle while trying to come to terms with nonbinary gender presentation!'

Which i guess has given me a sliver of insight into what thats like for trans people who transition and empathy for that stuff, because really i have nooo idea what thats like and even feeling a tiny bit of 'ohfuck' is shit so yeah

A whole lot of love for all the peeps in here and i hope this mess gets sorted out : (

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The whole 'When cis people suffer we might get change' is bull anyhow, as the people targeted are not going to be the Barbie and Kens of the world but those who already buck tight gender conformity in their choice of clothes and personal grooming.

So I guess these laws are working as intended by those who created them.

Edit. I wear cargo pants, boots and shirts most of the time and have inch long haircut. Better frisk me for 'carrying' whilst in the ladies lav just to be safe.

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Which

Yeah maybe

Using it as a justification for bigotry doesn't make it "relevant" - it actually highlights why clarifying this distinction is really rather important

Well yes. But it's giving bigots an opportunity to practice homophobia under the guise of transphobia. Which is horrifying on multiple levels, but that's what these laws are enabling.

Of course she COULD have been totally straight, but it wouldn't have mattered. The cop decided she "looked gay" so was therefore actually a man.

But I do agree that it was pointless to highlight. I guess people will start caring when a straight cis woman gets kicked out.

EDIT: good god Neco, proofread your posts before posting them!

Neco on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Honestly, the way I see it, whatever it takes to get these laws repealed ASAP is fine, even for the wrong reasons. These laws are putting a lot of people in immediate physical danger, so I'm not sure the moral victory is as important right now.

Edit: like, I would be fucking ecstatic if it was a genuine public concern over trans rights that got them repealed, but, well...

Mars on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yeah the general public knows jack shit about what transgender people put up with.

There's just very little coverage for what's going on beyond the anecdotal bullshit that gets thrown around by politicians.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    there's always our lord and savior caitlyn jenner

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I wonder what ploy of imperialism all this unconstitutional bathroom and civil rights legislation is currently distracting us from

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I'm not ever going to stand up for the U.K.'s sometimes lacking ability to help trans people living there or its treatment of refugees, however this is a small victory that I'm glad this woman got

Transgender woman facing military service as a man can stay in UK

I'm especially happy with the quote from one of the judges:
    “I find that the requirement of the appellant to essentially hide her gender and live as a man, even for two weeks a year, would be wholly unreasonable,”

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I wonder what ploy of imperialism all this unconstitutional bathroom and civil rights legislation is currently distracting us from

Well, I don't know if it counts as imperialism, there's the minimum-wage part of ordinance, which even if the rest of HB2 is overturned will stay in place.

Oh, and even if HB2 is overturned, the NC Congress will be able to say to the regressives in the state, "Hey, we're fighting for you! Send us money so we can try again!" And they'll get donations and votes and stay in power and keep trying.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Aside from some clunky language in the article itself, this is really cool

World's First Modelling Agency with a Trans-Only Division

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Alabama town bans trans people using any public restroom different from one on birth certificate.

I want to believe that all this is the darkness before the dawn but it's getting really hard to believe that.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so apart from trans people getting harassed and endangered at every turn, everyone now has to carry their birth certificate at all times I guess

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If that's the case, now is the best time ever for identity thieves. Birth certificates are...not really a thing you should ever possibly bring to anywhere anyone could steal.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Aliens please invade Alabama. And all of NC except like Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh, and Wilmington.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    so apart from trans people getting harassed and endangered at every turn, everyone now has to carry their birth certificate at all times I guess

Nah, just trans/NB people are going to get the shit beat out of them by cops and be suspected and mocked by their community.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    re: darkness before the dawn. The same thing happened with gay marriage. There was a wave of legal bans in the 90s, followed by a wave of constitutional bans in the 2000s and then it quite quickly turned around in the 2010s. ...after 30+ years.

So yeah, the banning only happened when it started to look like the was a chance of gay marriage being legalised. Which then meant 30 or so years of bans that made peoples' lives worse. I hope that this current attempt at discrimination goes away much faster.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Nah, just trans/NB people are going to get the shit beat out of them by cops and be suspected and mocked by their community.

And the public knows this.

Which is why they're okay with it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I posted that on facebook and my mom shared it so now I have to deal with 50 year old cis white women joking about this.

"Oh I would never use a public bathroom in Alabama anyway :b" fuck you Karen

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    What a complete surprise it is to find out that people and politicians who pride themselves on their opposition to the government, on their valiant resistence to attempts to ID citizens, by making lists of gun owners for example, suddenly don't mind requiring all of this and more for the most vulnerable in our population. They always worry about ID chips being implanted, but surely ID scanners would be a great way to stop their imaginary scourge and protect their bathroom-bound children? I'm just trying to take their initiatives to the logical conclusion, since trans people are so nefarious and pernicious, it's safest to test everyone and require ID proof from all. Even children, since children can be trans people too.

I wish hypocrisy was fatal sometimes.

Prohass on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    god

fucking

dammit

The country’s largest LGBT rights group on Thursday went to battle against a religious-based amendment tacked onto the annual defense policy bill that advocates say would strip away gay rights in federal contracting.

The Human Rights Campaign called it the first legislation to pass a congressional committee that would roll back expanded rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people at the federal level since the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples must be allowed to marry.

“We see this as social conservatives in the House trying to push what they view as a religious liberty exemption and use it as a sword rather than a shield,” David Stacy, the HRC’s director of government affairs, said in an interview.

Long story short: Obama's executive order in 2014 saying government contractors doing more than $10k business with the government can't discriminate against LGBT people? Now it doesn't apply when dealing with any religious organization.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What kind of religious organisations would be government contractors?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

A lot of "Charities" get contracts from the government to provide shelter space and/or counseling and a lot of those are, at heart, religious organizations. We don't think about that because they're restricted from using those funds for those activities but it's still there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    This current legislative war on trans people in the US is basically about one thing: regressives need a new enemy, because they've given up on homosexuals.

While there is still some goat-like bleating from the Kim Davis type people, and regressives will still openly support people like that, there is no organised, mainstream movement among those people to try to fight against gay marriage. It is something the GOP establishment has given up on. The Overton Window is shifting even for them on the issue of homosexuals and even they recognise that.

But fully none of that is true for trans people. They're still acceptable targets for regressives, they can be boogeymanned openly and freely, and they make convenient avenue to pass anti-LGBT and other regressive legislation in general.

If you ask yourself "what is the current American conservative hatred of trans people really all about?", it's no more complicated than they need to use you as their scapegoat while they still can. These things go on an arc. As public consciousness shifts, as acceptance changes, these people see the winds change and go "oh no..."

They try to get the last gasp of what they can in while they can. A term that gets used for this in Canadian politics is "death rattle politics", latching onto an issue and seizing energy off it at the moment that issue is dying as a problem in society, as a play for power.

It's parasitic. Vampiric. These kinds of politicians are a cartel of human misery.

• Options

A lot of "Charities" get contracts from the government to provide shelter space and/or counseling and a lot of those are, at heart, religious organizations. We don't think about that because they're restricted from using those funds for those activities but it's still there.

Also, Hobby Lobby basically made it so any corporation can claim to be a religious corporation and claim religious exceptions to laws.

Yes it's fundamentally bullshit.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well not any no. One of the reasons Hobby Lobby was such BS is because it carved out a special and specific exemption for Hobby Lobby and Christianity.

A corporation with a Jehovah's Witness in charge can't use the ruling to keep from having to cover blood transfusions.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    give it a while

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Well not any no. One of the reasons Hobby Lobby was such BS is because it carved out a special and specific exemption for Hobby Lobby and Christianity.

A corporation with a Jehovah's Witness in charge can't use the ruling to keep from having to cover blood transfusions.

I disagree, particularly because we are already seeing organizations citing Hobby Lobby in lawsuits asserting that secular laws don't apply to them because they conflict with their religious beliefs.

While yes, Hobby Lobby as a decision was specific exemption, and the Supreme Court said it was specific, that doesn't change the fact that the legal reasoning that was applied in Hobby Lobby isn't going to be cited every single time an issue like this comes up.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

I disagree, particularly because we are already seeing organizations citing Hobby Lobby in lawsuits asserting that secular laws don't apply to them because they conflict with their religious beliefs.

While yes, Hobby Lobby as a decision was specific exemption, and the Supreme Court said it was specific, that doesn't change the fact that the legal reasoning that was applied in Hobby Lobby isn't going to be cited every single time an issue like this comes up.

Yea, the reasoning for not including things like blood transfusions was flimsy and if the ruling is to stand would basically have to be expanded such it makes the restriction meaningless.

Remember, this was the ruling where it didn't matter if the birth controls were actually abortifacient at all, just that the plaintiffs believed they were.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    give it a while

What are we giving a while?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    give it a while

sorry, this

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    give it a while

sorry, this

Ah, gotcha! Just checking, I got lost there.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.