Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's a shame you can't just point out to her that trans women are not men...

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox wrote: »
    It's just a culture shock thing. It's another one of those moments when you realize your parents are old people. Hers is just a position of ignorance, not of hate or malice. That doesn't mean that it can or should be allowed to stand, it rather means she is (hopefully) salvageable.

yeah my mother pulls out some weird shit on occasion, and it's not malicious, she's trying very hard to be polite and 'appropriate', she just has no real concept of the nuances involved or what language is non-hurtful.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I need faster acting antibiotics.

antibi-sonics?

anti-subsonics?

anti-supersonics?

anti-Sonics?

The only mascot platformer we're allowed to talk about in the trans thread is Spyro

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    It's a shame you can't just point out to her that trans women are not men...

I actually can't, since she doesn't even understand that gender identity is not synonymous with birth sex. She sees them as the same. She completely dismissed me when I pointed out that transvestites don't actually have anything to do with this law at all, and she continued to use that term while referring to trans women even after I pointed out the correct terms. Really I'm tempted to just show her pictures of trans dudes and point out to her that this law requires them to use the bathroom with her.

She thinks all bathrooms should be relabeled. "You're either a breadstick or a donut." Which of courses is also abysmally reductive. It's all very...sigh.

Anyway, I know she and I are not done with this, but I just needed to complain some. Even as bad as she is, I know it could be a lot worse

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Never thought shopping for clothes could be so scary. Checked by the local goodwill to see if I could find some clothes on the cheap. I got a cute pink plaid shirt, a big black dress, a floral print skirt with a blouse to go with it. No shoes for my big eleven and a half men's feet though.

Maybe once I figure out what kind of woman's sizes I wear I'll be able to browse online, because honestly I was too nervous to browse like I wanted to.

Gundi on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I have done 90% of my shopping online because I'm terrified of doing it in person. A lot of it is anxiety but also feeling like people are too familiar with me and that if they see me shopping for girl clothes they'll flip. (Which is semi-justified, I guess).

See if you can get some lady friends to go with you places to try stuff on. It genuinely makes it a lot easier.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I'm wearing a skirt and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Funny story, if the first thing your account buys from Old Navy is a skirt, a men's polo, and a men's pants, they'll send you the women's specials from then on.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Never thought shopping for clothes could be so scary. Checked by the local goodwill to see if I could find some clothes on the cheap. I got a cute pink plaid shirt, a big black dress, a floral print skirt with a blouse to go with it. No shoes for my big eleven and a half men's feet though.

Maybe once I figure out what kind of woman's sizes I wear I'll be able to browse online, because honestly I was too nervous to browse like I wanted to.

the easiest way to figure this out is to use the EU sizes since that's based in centimeters; looks like a EU 46/Men's 11.5/women's 13.5, if you can find a 14 in most heeled shoes I'd round up

I have different reasons for doing it (I am the princess and the pea levels of sensitive to seams in shoes) but honestly I got a cc from amazon and for winter boots I'd just order 2-3 pairs at a time and try them on and send them back until I found the pair I ended up keeping, then I wasn't out the cash for 2-4 pairs of $80-150 boots at once while I waited for refunds and stuff

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You know what would be cool? Just using standard units of measurement for all clothes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there any place where I could find a decent number of shoes in size 14 with a larger width? It looks like Amazon has a good number of shoes in size 14 but doesn't appear to have much that is more than the regular width.

• Options
    You know what would be cool? Just using standard units of measurement for all clothes.
    Also it'd be nice if more detailed measurements were more common. Just from my brief browsing I noticed tons of clothes that claimed to have the same measurements but obviously suited pretty noticeably different body types.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

As a portly 6'4" guy I absolutely cannot find dress shirts that are long enough to tuck into my pants that don't pop out the second I sit down. It would be nice if I could just find clothes that fucking fit me, however they're measured.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there any place where I could find a decent number of shoes in size 14 with a larger width? It looks like Amazon has a good number of shoes in size 14 but doesn't appear to have much that is more than the regular width.

Zappos?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

As a portly 6'4" guy I absolutely cannot find dress shirts that are long enough to tuck into my pants that don't pop out the second I sit down. It would be nice if I could just find clothes that fucking fit me, however they're measured.

I'm 6'7" and know exactly how you feel about shirts never being long enough.

Viskod on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I am only 5'10'' but I have a very long torso and short legs so it is very hard for me to find clothes what fit right

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Cross-posting from the fashion thread, with the addition that I'll never get tired of my mum referring to me as "(her) daughter" to strangers
    Gatsby wrote: »
    today on Mother's Day, my mum wanted to treat me a little while treating herself to a new jacket

I'm a really lucky gal to have her

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh gosh that's adorable

Congrats, Gats

(I only abbreviated your name because of the rhyme)

Moriveth on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Congats

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh gosh that's adorable

Congrats, Gats

(I only abbreviated your name because of the rhyme)

We'll let it slide, this time.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

@Pinfeldorf try going to JCPenny.com and search for tall sizes in whatever shirt size you are. They are longer.

Van Heusen is a brand that does big and tall dress clothing. They have their own stores as well.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

We've had more cases of people peeping on/attacking people they think are trans in two weeks then cases of trans people attacking women in bathrooms in the history of ever.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    More corporate support for the removal of HB2: Michael Jordan threatens to move the Charlotte Hornets if the law is not removed

http://abcnews.com.co/michael-jordan-hb2-goes-or-the-charlotte-hornets-go/

Edit: Nevermind I've been duped, that is a fake ABC website

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wow, everyone was pranked on that one. Lots of news agencies copied and re-reported the false article.

Maybe it will motivate Jordan to actually say something like that. (probably not)

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    My first thought when I read that was "Oh wow, I didn't realize the Charlotte Hornets were still around. Are they still using the turquoise/violet color scheme?"

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    My first thought when I read that was "Oh wow, I didn't realize the Charlotte Hornets were still around. Are they still using the turquoise/violet color scheme?"

They went away for a while, they're back, and yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

They went away for a while, they're back, and yes

That explains it. Also, awesome. I loved those colors in the 90s.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    http://www.wral.com/mccrory-asks-court-to-declare-hb2-doesn-t-discriminate-/15693375/
    Gov. Pat McCrory has asked a federal court to declare that House Bill 2 does not discriminate against LBGT people, a reaction to the Obama administration's demand the state roll back the law.

Lawyers for the governor filed the declaratory judgment action Monday.

"The Obama administration is bypassing Congress by attempting to rewrite the law and set restroom policies for public and private employers across the country, not just North Carolina. This is now a national issue that applies to every state and it needs to be resolved at the federal level," McCrory said in a prepared statement Monday. "They are now telling every government agency and every company that employs more than 15 people that men should be allowed to use a women’s locker room, restroom or shower facility." 3

Specifically, the filing asks the federal court to declare that the law does not violate federal protections for students or federal workplace discrimination laws.

Why do they always try that argument? "It isn't discriminatory because white people can't marry black people either!" "It isn't discriminatory because everybody can marry someone of the opposite sex and nobody is allowed to marry someone of the same sex!"

Couscous on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    http://www.wral.com/mccrory-asks-court-to-declare-hb2-doesn-t-discriminate-/15693375/
    Gov. Pat McCrory has asked a federal court to declare that House Bill 2 does not discriminate against LBGT people, a reaction to the Obama administration's demand the state roll back the law.

"The Obama administration is bypassing Congress by attempting to rewrite the law and set restroom policies for public and private employers across the country, not just North Carolina. This is now a national issue that applies to every state and it needs to be resolved at the federal level," McCrory said in a prepared statement Monday. "They are now telling every government agency and every company that employs more than 15 people that men should be allowed to use a women’s locker room, restroom or shower facility." 3

Specifically, the filing asks the federal court to declare that the law does not violate federal protections for students or federal workplace discrimination laws.

Why do they always try that argument? "It isn't discriminatory because white people can't marry black people either!"

Thank you for that, it will become a thing I say about this madness

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

Why do they always try that argument? "It isn't discriminatory because white people can't marry black people either!"
    "They are now telling every government agency and every company that employs more than 15 people that men should be allowed to use a women’s locker room, restroom or shower facility."

Every time I read something like this it's like a huge punch to the gut

this fucking blows

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Thank you for that, it will become a thing I say about this madness

Yeah I've used that argument as well.

It's also the same exact rationale people used when arguing against changing laws regarding gay marriage, because "derp, gays can already get married to the opposite sex just like everyone else."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    In their arguments they straight up say its ok for them to do this because transgenders are not a protected class.

"yes we are descriminating but there is no law against it so you must let us"

Get fucked McRorie

I am so fucking appalled to be from NC

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wait, is that the way right and wrong work? You make a big comprehensive list of everything that's wrong and if something's not on that list, it's 100% okay to do?

Because I'm PRETTY SURE that's not right.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    In their arguments they straight up say its ok for them to do this because transgenders are not a protected class.

Get fucked McRorie

it's spelled McCrory, fyi

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Wait, is that the way right and wrong work? You make a big comprehensive list of everything that's wrong and if something's not on that list, it's 100% okay to do?

Because I'm PRETTY SURE that's not right.

That is exactly how American Republican morality works.

There are things that are listed as OK, and things which are not, and this list is important because without that list, they have no compelling reason to do good things or not do bad things.

For example: many Republicans believe these bathroom laws are important, because without them doing drag to sneak into women's bathrooms to be a creeper is something they would do.

They literally say this, like it's something they feel is a natural urge for straight cis men and it is only rules and laws saying no that stops them. Mike Huckabee has literally said if he had the option as a teenager of claiming to be trans so he could creep in the girls locker room, he absolutely would have.

Because Mike Huckabee is a sociopath.

I don't use that word (a word that has been used against me personally in the past) lightly.

There is no other word to describe someone who openly states the only thing that keeps them from murdering, raping, and stealing as they see fit is rules telling them not to.

Whether those rules are from religion, the law, whatever. If the only thing keeping you from being a savage is the thin veneer of civilisation, then you are a shit person who can't be trusted. Your basic human empathy is broken.

Pony on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I hate the argument of "Well if I was a teenage boy I would totally want to peep into the women's room!"

Because you are literally saying that you would be a sex predator

• Options

Get fucked McRorie

You know I'm not sure if you're doing a thing but his name is actually McCrory. I only clarify so some poor guy named McRorie in NC doesn't get tons of hate mail.

• Options

Get fucked McRorie

You know I'm not sure if you're doing a thing but his name is actually McCrory. I only clarify so some poor guy named McRorie in NC doesn't get tons of hate mail.

I mean I'm not doing a thing I just didn't know and also don't really care enough to make sure I don't misspell it

• Options

Get fucked McRorie

I mean I'm not doing a thing I just didn't know and also don't really care enough to make sure I don't misspell it

I would make an effort to care because people with similar names to mccrory have been getting harassed online

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

Get fucked McRorie

I would make an effort to care because people with similar names to mccrory have been getting harassed online

I'm not exactly planning on harassing random people who might be the governor on facebook

I was just voicing my frustrations

but fair enough

This discussion has been closed.