Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also if you really want to watch women use the bathroom there are websites for that

And the women on those sites are (I assume) doing it willingly, too!

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    It occurs to me that the religious right will dig out selective quotes from the Bible to support their bigotry while ignoring some of the other passages that don't align with their platform, including policies that run counter to the 10 Commandments and yet when the federal government or supreme court finds support for progressive actions within our own Constitution or Bill of Rights they are suddenly not cool with interpreting a text.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I would say it's extra important to watch your spelling in regards to people like McCrory, because the last thing you want is someone with a similar name becoming a target for this vitriol.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    It occurs to me that the religious right will dig out selective quotes from the Bible to support their bigotry while ignoring some of the other passages that don't align with their platform, including policies that run counter to the 10 Commandments and yet when the federal government or supreme court finds support for progressive actions within our own Constitution or Bill of Rights they are suddenly not cool with interpreting a text.

It's almost as though they're monsters who don't actually care about any source of authority beyond whatever conveniently props up their preconceived notions.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I would say it's extra important to watch your spelling in regards to people like McCrory, because the last thing you want is someone with a similar name becoming a target for this vitriol.

This feels weird to me. We have ready access to such a large population of people with the internet any name is likely to be duplicated numerous times, correctly spelled or not. I know of at least four semi-famous folks with my exact first/last name combination. I'm sure there are numerous more who aren't famous enough for me to have noticed.

In the end I feel the actual answer is: Don't Harass People.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Goatmon wrote: »

This feels weird to me. We have ready access to such a large population of people with the internet any name is likely to be duplicated numerous times, correctly spelled or not. I know of at least four semi-famous folks with my exact first/last name combination. I'm sure there are numerous more who aren't famous enough for me to have noticed.

In the end I feel the actual answer is: Don't Harass People.

Yeah, don't do anything to anyone that you wouldn't want to accidentally do to someone with the same name as then. It's not as though harassment generally achieves anything.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Just picked up and read the book If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo. I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it was her just getting the feelings across really well, or just me knowing them so well. Probably a bit of both.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    the justice department is asserting that trans people are protected under the civil rights act

if the case succeeds, discrimination based on gender identity will be illegal under federal law

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Holy shit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Only partway through it, but it's a rad speech so far, hope she can back it up.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It was also a commonly used reason for segregation.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah this circles back around to Tube's "cheater" theory that the only reason these people are so worried about abuse of women from these other groups is because of their own predilections.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Well it's not like this is new. We used women as a shield for anti-segregation attitudes back in the day.

We just mostly use children instead, because they can't really speak for themselves in politics.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    That was good watch. I hope that press release made McCrory sweat a bit.

Anyway, that was a good watch, but speakers said some encouraging things. Hopefully the courts will agree with them.

Neco on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    new, improved transition timeline
    http://thatwronglove.tumblr.com/post/144122716263/transition-timeline-new-and-improved-circa-2016
    double checked and nothing smutty on this blog article on my site but dont uh, visit other parts of my blog

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    That's awesome CJ, very happy for you :)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    That was good watch. I hope that press release made McCrory sweat a bit.

Anyway, that was a good watch, but speakers said some encouraging things. Hopefully the courts will agree with them.

Well both the gov and the general Assembly are separately suing in federal court. The legislature wants the courts to declare it not really discriminatory, at least not illegally so

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

consider me very very very cautiously optimistic

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Man it sure was enlightening to read about who the real victims of that HB2 law are.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/north-carolina-republicans-bathoom-222992

• Options
    cishet white conservatives want to act oppressed so badly, but without any of the actual consequences of oppression

• Options
    “The perception in politics is that the Republicans did this,” said Jeter, who represents a district just west of Charlotte, noting that 11 House Democrats also voted for it. “I disagree with that perception, but guess what? I’ve got as much a chance of changing that perception as I do convincing my 15-year-old daughter that I know what the hell I’m talking about. You know, you deal with the political realities you’re dealt.”

wasn't this thing pushed through by near unanimous republican vote?

• Options
    “The perception in politics is that the Republicans did this,” said Jeter, who represents a district just west of Charlotte, noting that 11 House Democrats also voted for it. “I disagree with that perception, but guess what? I’ve got as much a chance of changing that perception as I do convincing my 15-year-old daughter that I know what the hell I’m talking about. You know, you deal with the political realities you’re dealt.”

Right? I was just coming here to post that. Dude wants to act like the Republicans were just onlookers who got caught up in this horrible thing that had all these unknown consequences when they're the ones who pushed it through in one day.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    And I think, in general, trans people are very aware that democrats aren't these wonderful 'good guys', they're just the best guys we're given

• Options

yeah but in the sense of a two party system, the more technically accurate perception is that it bipartisan bill.
    I doubt the democrats would have made the bill if the repubs weren't pushing it, which really isn't a mitigating factor to me against the democrats who voted for it.

• Options
    "Best" is such a loaded word in this case. "Least bad" feels more honest.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I thought the democrats all walked out because they knew they were such a minority and walking out would cause a bigger stir then voting no.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah the story at the time was that it was a Democrat walkout.

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I thought the democrats all walked out because they knew they were such a minority and walking out would cause a bigger stir then voting no.

It was definitely spun as a "refuse to participate in this farce" move.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I think it was the senate democrats that walked out.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Man it sure was enlightening to read about who the real victims of that HB2 law are.

GOP strategists say their party is defined by the controversial law and it will cost them in November.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

GOP strategists say their party is defined by the controversial law and it will cost them in November.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

That's funny, GOP strategists, I happen to agree with you there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know if this is just a self-serving statement, but I think I need to get it out of my system.

I am not a violent person. I am calm, slow to anger, and have never been in a fight. But if I ever saw some "family values" zealot putting their hands on someone because they think that person is using the wrong bathroom, I swear to whatever invisible sky wizard you care to name, I would drop them like a sack of fucking potatoes.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    cishet white conservatives want to act oppressed so badly, but without any of the actual consequences of oppression

Could there be any worse oppression than denying my intrinsic right - duty - to be shitty to people who aren't white or straight?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Boo-fucking-hoo.

What confuses me is that using the law to motivate voter turn out is the only reason these laws exist. It's a non-problem that they're passing laws about because they think it plays well. It something for the R's to bang the drum on where their opposition doesn't want to bang the counter drum just as hard.

At least that's what they thought would happen but apparently Obama's DoJ got a new pair of skins they've been dying to try out.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Oh hey, it's May 10, which means I've officially completed five months of hormones! I celebrated by having an emotional breakdown over facial hair.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    yay for hormones, hugs for the breakdown :( I'm sorry, friend

This discussion has been closed.