Options

It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Man it sure was enlightening to read about who the real victims of that HB2 law are.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/north-carolina-republicans-bathoom-222992
    GOP strategists say their party is defined by the controversial law and it will cost them in November.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

What confuses me is that using the law to motivate voter turn out is the only reason these laws exist. It's a non-problem that they're passing laws about because they think it plays well. It something for the R's to bang the drum on where their opposition doesn't want to bang the counter drum just as hard.

At least that's what they thought would happen but apparently Obama's DoJ got a new pair of skins they've been dying to try out.

I really can't figure their thinking. On one hand it seems like they lived in a bubble where they didn't think this would blow up. But on the other hand, if they didn't think it would blow up, then why did they rush it through without time for debate or public attention?

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I read too much Internet and now all of my carefully constructed reasons why I can't possibly be trans seem to have come crumbling down

On the other hand, the prospect of finally being someone I like enough that I *want* to take care of myself is taking my breath away

It kinda feels like Christmas eve when you can't sleep because you're too excited

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I read too much Internet and now all of my carefully constructed reasons why I can't possibly be trans seem to have come crumbling down

On the other hand, the prospect of finally being someone I like enough that I *want* to take care of myself is taking my breath away

It kinda feels like Christmas eve when you can't sleep because you're too excited

Welcome, friend

Come this way for your septum piercing, shag haircut, and "Zoey" nametag

• Options
    I'm gonna be so mad if I go so far as to post that, then just chicken out and don't talk to a therapist about it. You hear that, future me?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Be the you that's you!

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be so mad if I go so far as to post that, then just chicken out and don't talk to a therapist about it. You hear that, future me?

Too late, you posted it so now you've got an entire community of people who will gently encourage you to figure out who you really are, regardless of what that ends up being.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited May 2016
    [snip]

InfamyDeferred on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So the other day I asked my mum about my Chinese name. It's always nice to hear her explain it, and I want to properly learn Mandarin this year so it was as good a place as any to start. This time though she wrote it down and explained each of the characters to me.
    bgnc0mt1ukab.jpeg

That's my name, haven't seen it written in a while, and it has two pronunciations depending Cantonese or Mandarin. The former would be Haumen (How Men) and the latter is Xiàowén (Sheeow When). From what she had told me before I already knew it essentially meant "kind" and "gentle" and "respectful" but the bottom half of the first character bugged me because it specifically meant "son."

This being the first time I've asked her about it since transitioning though, she explained that since the character for "respect" overrides it, it can just mean "child" instead. And that...hit me really hard. I've always been worried my Chinese name would be so heavily gendered, the Canto pronunciation and romanisation didn't help, but now...now this name actually feels part of me. In a way I never thought it would, before.

It's been an interesting and nice process getting to reconcile the parts of my identity in my culture and heritage along with my gender and such. It makes me feel a bit more whole.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Gatsby wrote: »
    So the other day I asked my mum about my Chinese name. It's always nice to hear her explain it, and I want to properly learn Mandarin this year so it was as good a place as any to start. This time though she wrote it down and explained each of the characters to me.

That's my name, haven't seen it written in a while, and it has two pronunciations depending Cantonese or Mandarin. The former would be Haumen (How Men) and the latter is Xiàowén (Sheeow When). From what she had told me before I already knew it essentially meant "kind" and "gentle" and "respectful" but the bottom half of the first character bugged me because it specifically meant "son."

This being the first time I've asked her about it since transitioning though, she explained that since the character for "respect" overrides it, it can just mean "child" instead. And that...hit me really hard. I've always been worried my Chinese name would be so heavily gendered, the Canto pronunciation and romanisation didn't help, but now...now this name actually feels part of me. In a way I never thought it would, before.

It's been an interesting and nice process getting to reconcile the parts of my identity in my culture and heritage along with my gender and such. It makes me feel a bit more whole.

That's really cool (that image is over a meg though, you might want to resize it)

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    The size limit for regular threads is .5 megs, which is barely 1/4 the size of that image so yeah you may wanna resize it a bit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I have no clue what you could possibly mean...

• Options
    I saw nutzingk

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    I saw nutzingk

kinky

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I don't know if this is just a self-serving statement, but I think I need to get it out of my system.

I am not a violent person. I am calm, slow to anger, and have never been in a fight. But if I ever saw some "family values" zealot putting their hands on someone because they think that person is using the wrong bathroom, I swear to whatever invisible sky wizard you care to name, I would drop them like a sack of fucking potatoes.

RKO out of nowhere

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

this tweet's a little poorly worded

the american counselling association cancelled a conference in nashville as a form of protest against the aforementioned law

• Options

the american counselling association cancelled a conference in nashville as a form of protest against the aforementioned law

COMMAS ARE YOUR FRIEND, COMMA-RADE.

• Options
    here's an excerpt from the ACA's press release
    In light of the passage of SB1556/HB1840, the American Counseling Association (ACA) will relocate its 2017 Conference & Expo, originally scheduled for Nashville, TN.

Tennessee became the latest state to sign into law discriminatory “religious freedom” legislation targeting the counseling profession and LGBTQ community, permitting counselors to deny services and refer clients based on the provider’s “strongly held principles” a clear violation of the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics.

In light of the passage of SB1556/HB1840, ACA members have been very vocal about their opinions on the location of the 2017 Conference & Expo, originally scheduled for Nashville, Tenn. After careful consideration, and taking those comments into account, ACA has decided that the 2017 annual meeting will not be held in Tennessee.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    That's an okay gesture, but real action would be rescinding the membership of any counselor who invokes that law.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    hopefully they do both!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Psykoma wrote: »
    That's an okay gesture, but real action would be rescinding the membership of any counselor who invokes that law.

I think they probably would (or at least I hope that they would) but every story I've seen is counselors saying they don't need or want the law

I haven't seen anything about counselors in Tennessee who are actually happy about the law because they want to turn away LGBT patients

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    As a general rule I am of the opinion that for the workplace, you should be putting the majority of your personal religious values and philosophy in a box that stays closed while you are on the clock.

But I go a step further for professions where people's lives, freedoms, health, and/or well-being are under your direct involvement.

For those jobs, you need to be as objective as humanly possible and not allow your personal feelings or beliefs about a person factor in how you act towards them under the auspices of your position.

Doctors, cops, lawyers, judges, and therapists are just a few I'd put in that category.

The law, in some places, agrees with me about this. Any law that runs directly contrary to that undermines the fabric of a civil society, in my opinion.

I have, in fact, encountered therapists who will not treat me because of elements of my life and who I am. My response was to report them. I have had middling success in this regard.

Pony on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I'm trans, or NB. My first coherent thought was "When I grow up, I want to be a hermaphrodite.", but with the vocabulary of a toddler. So, uh. Yeah.

My queer superpowers include a shit eating secret-knowledge grin, recognizing that person in the mirror for the first time since puberty, and having been in a poly relationship in elementary school. I'm also pretty sure I'm a witch now.

So tonight I went from fuck to fuck yeah and you people helped.

If you ever think "No, that's too easy, that would solve literally everything, clearly this means my treacherous subhuman brain is lying that thing in the mirror is an abomination and it must die for the crime of having been born" remember this post. I thought that for ababt four years and uh why the fuck didn't I figure it out before?

Hi thread, I'm secretly a lady and so was HP Lovecraft. How the fuck has nobody else noticed that? Is that one of our closest secrets, or am I just smart? If she knew then does that make her every work a secret tract on intersectional feminism or did she just really hate herself?

• Options
    But seriously the shadow over innsmouth is about transness and oh god Delta Green has to be stopped right fucking now.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah the story at the time was that it was a Democrat walkout.
    The democrats in the state senate walked out. Some of the democrats in the house walked out, some voted for it.

• Options
    i have read "HP Lovecraft was secretly gay/trans" as a read of Lovecraft's work many, many times

the only thing I can't dispute is holy fuck was Lovecraft racist

like not even "man of his time" racist

Lovecraft's wife and peers were like jesus christ aich-pee, can you simmer down on your ranting about the mulattos, we're trying to eat dinner

• Options
    Warren Ellis wrote once in a comic that h.p. lovecraft thought black people laid eggs and the fact that the first time I read that I thought "yeah, that sounds like something he'd think" without fact checking is a pretty damning statement of the guy's racial politics

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Look up H.P. Lovecraft's cat's name.

Being H.P. Lovecraft's friend allegedly made Robert E. Howard less racist.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Whippy wrote: »
    Warren Ellis wrote once in a comic that h.p. lovecraft thought black people laid eggs and the fact that the first time I read that I thought "yeah, that sounds like something he'd think" without fact checking is a pretty damning statement of the guy's racial politics

The "Hitler or Lovecraft" game (by Zoe Quinn, yo) is something that really helped put Lovecraft's views in context.

Like, I knew he was bad.

I just didn't know how bad.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My ramblethoughts on Lovecraft aren't really useful, I don't think. I'll just say that y'all got me to read the short story The Thing on the Doorstep and that sure was an interesting tale

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I do love some of Lovecrafts short stories, despite his abhorrent racism

it's been a while since I read any, though, so I'm not REALLY sure how much of that leaked into his work

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's easy to gloss over as a modern reader, because a lot of it falls squarely into what one of my exes used to call "Confusing racism."

Buuuut it's sadly pretty foregrounded in a lot of his stuff.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    This is the best Lovecraft thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htLpEDAXbqI

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Holy shit thank you for linking that game before I made a complete and utter ass of myself. The gifs were hilarious.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Let me know when you need your name changed

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

i dunno i thought it read just fine then again i live on the internet where proper punctuation and sentence structure are a myth and words like your/you're and there/their/they're are interchangeable.

thanks world of warcraft trade chat!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Let me know when you need your name changed

And let me know if you need suggestions. @WeedLordVegeta can vouch for my talents.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I really enjoy lovecrafts work but it is absolutely no secret that his racism was out of fucking control

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I really enjoy lovecrafts work but it is absolutely no secret that his racism was out of fucking control

I kind of think that Lovecraft makes the "Death of the Author" paradigm difficult to sort out.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So Orson Scott Card is a modern Lovecraft, of sorts?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Nah, Lovecraft is still worse.

This discussion has been closed.