It's the [Trans thread]!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Onion: A Timeline Of Transgender Rights In America
    • 1776-2016: Sanctity of American bathrooms remains pure and inviolable
    • 1789: In a huge blow for transgender rights, North Carolina admitted to Union
    • 1959: A fight breaks out between Los Angeles police and transgender patrons at Cooper’s Donuts, a watershed moment indicating that the trans community is now large enough to be afraid of
    • 1966: Dr. Harry Benjamin publishes The Transsexual Phenomenon, a pivotal book detailing how transgender individuals could medically transition from one sex to being completely ostracized by society
    • 1969: Historic riots turn New York’s Stonewall Inn into an LGBT cultural mecca, much to the annoyance of the bar’s everyday regulars who are forced to find a new low-key happy hour spot
    • 1975: Minneapolis is the first city to outlaw discrimination against trans people, forcing the trans community to accept the fact that living in Minnesota might be their best bet
    • 1980: The revised Diagnostic And Statistical Manual Of Mental Disorders officially recognizes the term “gender identity disorder” in an attempt to be more open-minded about exactly what is wrong with transgender individuals
    • 1993: Virginia man William Meyers, 51, definitively states that he can’t think of any reason why someone would want to do that to themselves
    • 1994: A trans-dedicated AOL chatroom draws thousands of visitors each month, marking the first and last time an AOL chatroom had any positive effect on humanity
    • 2012: Girl Scouts of Colorado welcome anyone identifying as a girl so long as she can fucking move boxes of Thin Mints
    • 2013: Father gently asked not to use word “tranny”
    • 2015: John Boehner does damnedest to maintain neutral facial expression as President Obama talks about transgender rights in State of the Union
    • 2016-2020: Anti-LGBTQ lawmakers forced to get pretty creative

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If girl scouts have trouble moving boxes of Thin Mints, trans or no, all they need is my address.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Let me know when you need your name changed

And let me know if you need suggestions. WeedLordVegeta can vouch for my talents.

Zahnugal

Heurgh...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    • 1975: Minneapolis is the first city to outlaw discrimination against trans people, forcing the trans community to accept the fact that living in Minnesota might be their best bet

This got a chuckle out of me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    That school district will get the shit sued out of it by the first parent of a pepper spray victim.

Who probably won't even be trans.

It will probably be someone pepper spraying themself.

Or their buddy in a game of pepper spray chicken

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Let me know when you need your name changed

I'm sure it's been said, but it's really cool that you make an exception for name changes with people here.
    I was not aware of that. Hmm...

It's name changes for people with inappropriately gendered names.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    this is the most educational thread I've ever seen in a forum

there, I said it

Gator on
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    This is the only educational thread I've ever seen in a forum.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Hell yeah, go Mass!
    First to pass marriage equality, too.
    Makes me homesick...

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/us/politics/obama-administration-to-issue-decree-on-transgender-access-to-school-restrooms.html
    ...the Obama administration is planning to issue a sweeping decree telling every public school district in the country to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms that match their gender identity.
    Thanks Obama

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    If girl scouts have trouble moving boxes of Thin Mints, trans or no, all they need is my address.

That legalized child labor cookie company is doing just fine

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Clearly you have never been to the wrestling thread....you will learn all sorts of things there
    None of them useful.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    barbarism is gonna keep fading away

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

But then who will we go to for haircuts?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    salonists

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

But then who will we go to for haircuts?

Visigoths and Ostrogoths.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    salonists

Orthodox or Reformed? Either way, I'll still be using the same Seventh Day Manicurist I always have.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Federal Departments of Education and Justice will be informing NC schools that they need to allow students to use the facilities that coincide with the student's gender identity. Also no punitive actions (including cuts in funding) can/will occur until after lawsuits are heard.

Also a group of Healthcare workers are calling for repeal siting a sharp increase in calls to transgender suicide hotlines as among their reasons

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Wow weird who knew being told you're a freak/bad person by everyone around you would make you want to commit suicide

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Clearly you have never been to the wrestling thread....you will learn all sorts of things there
    None of them useful.

Huge overlap in this thread's population and that one

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »

None of them useful.

Huge overlap in this thread's population and that one

I have often wondered what the common denominator is. Something must have a cross appeal because the statistics are eye opening.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

fuck

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just hate feeling so fucking helpless about this.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

this is fucking monstrous

its literally Kansas saying "you are not a woman/man and you cannot be a woman/man, period."

holy shit fuck that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The primary legal argument against allowing trans people into bathrooms that match their gender identity appears to be "bodily privacy rights," which makes no sense to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/13/straight-into-the-paper-shredder-texans-the-first-to-decry-obamas-school-directive-about-transgender-bathrooms/
    “Across societies and throughout history,” Niemeyer wrote, “it has been commonplace and universally accepted to separate public restrooms, locker rooms, and shower facilities on the basis of biological sex in order to address privacy and safety concerns arising from the biological differences between males and females. An individual has a legitimate and important interest in bodily privacy such that his or her nude or partially nude body, genitalia, and other private parts are not exposed to persons of the opposite biological sex. Indeed, courts have consistently recognized that the need for such privacy is inherent in the nature and dignity of humankind. ”
    It applies to being seen by people with different genitalia but does not apply to being seen by people with the same genitalia. Why this is so and why it is not sexist, I do not know. Gay people exist so any assumption about sexual attraction falls flat.

Couscous on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That is a literal mother fucking cootie argument

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've peed in public probably a couple of thousand times. I have never observed a penis, nor have I been made aware of my own penis being observed. I am certain that at some point, one of the other men in those bathrooms was of the type that likes penises. It turns out people keep their shit together pretty well in bathrooms.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I might also add that if I did want to look at someone, the bathroom is not that place most conducive to pleasant feelings about seeing them. I guess the aroma of fresh poop may be arousing to some?

Basically, if I, a straight man who was interested in seeing a partly undressed lady, was going to go to the amount of trouble, expense and potential embarrassment it would take to dress up like a lady just to get to briefly look at some other lady's feet under the stall door, then I would actually rather choose a venue that was

1) less stinky
    2) less risky
    3) more visually profitable

but then I'm not a 6 year old, so I don't find poop and the concept of people pooping as hilarious or interesting as I once did.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The argument that without arbitrary rules tons of people would be sexual predators is just a crazy one. If it's not true it's not true, and if it is true than maybe we as a society should do more to make it clear that sexually assaulting, or even harassing, other people is double plus ungood and something that cannot, will not, be tolerated.

Gundi on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    The argument that without arbitrary rules tons of people would be sexual predators is just a crazy one. If it's not true it's not true, and if it is true than maybe we as a society should do more to make it clear that sexually assaulting, or even harassing, other people is double plus ungood and something that cannot, will not, be tolerated.

Also the idea that sexually abusing someone isn't against someone's code of conduct but breaking an arbitrary and difficult to enforce law is, is pretty chilling. In a way it's sort of a tacit admittance that sexual harassment and abuse aren't punished very well on their own. And that we've been teaching people to respect the social contract of law but not the social contract of treating other human beings with respect.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    One of the really infuriating parts of all this is that if you do find a report about a man assaulting a woman in a public restroom, believe me, you won't read about how he resorted to Mission: Impossible-like subterfuge to make a clandestine entrance. He did what fucking dirtbags always do: found a victim and isolated them.

A victim, by the way, they are statistically likely to know personally. So yeah, fat lot of fucking good a disguise is gonna do anyway.

But hey, why let research get in the way of good old fashioned hate and fear? :|

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    (As always on the Internet), avoid reading any comments on a Laurie Penny article. They're rarely nice.

EDIT: New Statesman might actually care about cleaning up comment sections, if they have them, though.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It boggles my mind that some people care so much about what sex everyone else is

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It boggles my mind that some people care so much about what sex everyone else is

A binary division is all that small minds can handle.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    New haricut and eyebrows plucked
    CiWw-LBVAAAhMd-.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Puritanism: The fear that someone, somewhere, is having fun and is secure in themselves.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.