Options

Oregon Militia: All aboard the crazy train.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    I think part of it comes from the fact that, on some level, they have to be aware that they couldn't actually beat the military. So for their fantasy to work, the military has to be on their side, therefore the military must be on their side.

One conspiracy theory that's always amused me is the conspiracy that troops from the UN are going to come and take over the US. I wonder if they realize that these "UN" troops would pretty much have to be US troops wearing a different logo.

It's also because they see themselves as the real patriots and the strong connections between the military and patriotism in the US mean they can't see themselves as being anti-military.

It's why they focus so much on "The Feds" as the enemy.

Well, that and some of them are ex-miitary. And they probably had an anti-government stance while enlisted and nobody really argued with them about it, instead just sitting there quietly hoping he'd shut up listening in rapt attention and undoubtedly agreeing to join him when the time comes...

There's always one.

God I wish they'd shut up.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    "Stolen valor"?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    "Stolen valor"?

Dudes who claim they served but didn't
    Dudes who served but not where they say they did
    Dudes who served but didn't earn medals they claim

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I think part of it comes from the fact that, on some level, they have to be aware that they couldn't actually beat the military. So for their fantasy to work, the military has to be on their side, therefore the military must be on their side.

One conspiracy theory that's always amused me is the conspiracy that troops from the UN are going to come and take over the US. I wonder if they realize that these "UN" troops would pretty much have to be US troops wearing a different logo.

It's also because they see themselves as the real patriots and the strong connections between the military and patriotism in the US mean they can't see themselves as being anti-military.

Well, that and some of them are ex-miitary. And they probably had an anti-government stance while enlisted and nobody really argued with them about it, instead just sitting there quietly hoping he'd shut up listening in rapt attention and undoubtedly agreeing to join him when the time comes...

There's always one.

Is that something you see more of under the Obama administration?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

This is why I've taken to dispelling this myth whenever people post that 'sometimes we need blood for the tree' stuff in my news feeds. No what you're advocating for is killing cops and military because that's who gets killed in revolutions. Either stand behind that shit and shut up about supporting cops and military or stop making veiled threats against them. Even if the veil on those threats is your own stupidity.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    This is just the ultimate express of the "don't tell me what to do" mentality. Every person probably has that time they've had to move or coral a group of people and there is always that percentage that just will not listen. They think they have a better way, know your job better than you, or just want what they want and fuck everybody else. And since they really can't do that to the government, they start to act out. Until they get crushed by reality, anyway.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Again, these allegedly military folks don't seem to know much about militarying. Facebook is nice for a general call to arms, perhaps, but not for discussing mission specs.

With the general paranoia prevalent in this movement, you'd think they would have the decency to conduct their business on TOR networks or something. Fred the Fed's all over facebook, brothers.

i think they genuinely believe they are somehow untouchable, that ultimately they are legally entitled somehow according to the constitution or whatever, so they arent bothering to hide their activities. Also maybe they somehow believe there is still going to be an event that galvanizes public support for them, and theyre trying to bring about that event?

This belief comes from adhering to sovereign citizen rhetoric, which is basically Law: Harry Potter Edition.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

Why would you think that in the military anyone would get more than a few words of anti-government rhetoric out before having someone tell them to shut up?

Choosing to live, die, and kill for a government when you're planning to overthrow it doesn't generally make much sense.

A more likely explanation of the vets supporting them is that they didn't find (crazy) politics until they were older. That, or they're stolen valor types.

There's a lot of civilian-military tension in a lot of countries, though, that's why military coups are a thing, many militaries have leadership or lower-ranking officer cells who believe that they represent the best interests of the country better than the civilian government, giving a kind of higher value to the nation than to the state itself.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Why would you think that in the military anyone would get more than a few words of anti-government rhetoric out before having someone tell them to shut up?
    Dude, there's plenty of people who badmouth the government, and the president, while serving.
    Choosing to live, die, and kill for a government when you're planning to overthrow it doesn't generally make much sense.
    That's not generally how people see their service and even the ones that do see it that way don't see it as doing it for the government but for some kind of American ideal. Nobody thinks "I'm doing this for the Senate!".

The whole sentiment kind of smacks of the "people died for your freedom" BS I don't especially like. Soldiers are more complicated than that, and most of them are doing it for personal reasons more complex than freedom, government, or America.
    A more likely explanation of the vets supporting them is that they didn't find (crazy) politics until they were older. That, or they're stolen valor types.

Not really. Vets in the US are pretty much forgotten about in all but name after their service. Higher chances of homelessness and mental illness, lower chances of finding employment. You leave the military thinking you've done something only for people to tell you that it doesn't count as job experience even in the same field.

However every single politician loves to talk about soldiers and vets. About helping them while reducing spending on them. About trying to improve the VA while overloading the system by creating a surge of vets when they reduced manning numbers in the military and defunding them.

There are a lot of vets who have a pretty solid grudge against the guys who told them they'd take care of them in repayment for their time and service, only to be forgotten about while the politicians continue to spout the same rhetoric to the next group of trainees and talk about the successes with vets that few have ever personally experienced.

The handful of vets aren't crazy people, they're people who have had to deal with a system that can be infuriating at the best of times.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    A lot of military types are identifying with Trump. Theyre pushed to the edges of society, they see bureaucracy familiarity in Sanders, the same old bullshit with everyone else.

Its sad, but the simple fact is that most of these people who took the hook when they signed up, thinking that all this positive shit they see on television would apply to them, and then they get out and society is all "fuck you and your ptsd".

Its not surprising some vets would go with Bundy. Its also not surpring stolen valor idiots would. This group represents an outlet and gathering of people who are delusional and others who would expat themselves to a foreign nation if they could afford the plane ticket. Theres a lot of frustration with modern American politics and society, and this is just one of the ways it manifests itself.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Refuge occupier calls for feds to leave Oregon in latest release of videos

Some good quotes here. I haven't watched the video(s).
    In one of a series of videos posted Sunday, an occupier of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge railed against people who destroyed a memorial for a dead occupier, called for the FBI to leave Oregon, and took a joyride in a pickup truck with government plates.

This bit cracks me up the most:
    After proclaiming his right to prepare for an "onslaught," Fry approached a pickup truck with a U.S. Government license plate and got in.

"I think I'm gonna take it on a little joy ride, you know," Fry said, as he opened the door. "Yeah. Yeah. Let's start this baby up! Now you got another charge on me, FBI, I am driving your vehicle, you see this?"

"Maybe I should do a little donut in this, yeah!" Fry continued.

Also, the internet comments are getting to him:
    "One day, someone's probably gonna drag your a** out and beat you up, bust your nose a little bit, because that's what you have coming, that's what you deserve," a man who sounds like Fry but does not identify himself said in a video. "So take your little comments you little keyboard warriors and shove them up where the sun don't shine."

Many of the comments under Fry's videos are derisive.

"Have fun in prison, Potatriots!" one YouTube user wrote.

"You're deluded," wrote another. "Go home and get some sleep."

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Oh so this is what youtube comments are for

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    one of the main reasons behind the second amendment was it made owning a firearm defacto illegal by non-citizens, like Native Americans, thus making it a whole lot easier to sieze their land and commit genocide
    http://youtu.be/Ray1HlPRkX0

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Did you just post an Infowars video

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    one of the main reasons behind the second amendment was it made owning a firearm defacto illegal by non-citizens, like Native Americans, thus making it a whole lot easier to sieze their land and commit genocide
    http://youtu.be/Ray1HlPRkX0

That wasn't actually the case, like at all. Citizenship as a definable thing didn't even exist for a long time, well up into the war of 1812 where it was a big thing because of impressment, and the US government was still allied with several tribes right up to the battle of Little Bighorn. There's a lot of real cases of the government screwing over First Nations without having to make up ones.

Oh, it's an infowars video. No wonder.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Did you just post an Infowars video

Ya without watching it, and judging solely on the infowars tag, I'm gonna guess the Native Americans were just a false flag by Obama.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Not watching an Infowars video even if it does have Russell Means.

And your take on the 2nd amendment is just plain wrong. What you're describing was a most a side effect that came afterward.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Sure, just like how non-citizens here don't have freedom of speech in America!

• Options

There's always one.

Is that something you see more of under the Obama administration?

I never really payed attention during the Bush years since I wasn't all that engaged in politics and my exposure to others was limited at the time.

But since I switched to linguist god damn if I don't always have at least one person in my group who's a massive anti government libertarian. Usually getting out after their first term but some of them end up being lifers.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    "Stolen valor"?

Dudes who claim they served but didn't
    Dudes who served but not where they say they did
    Dudes who served but didn't earn medals they claim

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

We use a different term here.
    I don't want another infraction.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

There's always one.

goddamn are the Seabees ever full of some crazy-ass chiefs

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

There's a lot of civilian-military tension in a lot of countries, though, that's why military coups are a thing, many militaries have leadership or lower-ranking officer cells who believe that they represent the best interests of the country better than the civilian government, giving a kind of higher value to the nation than to the state itself.

this is one of the reasons that officers are required to rotate duty stations every two years--the executive branch made a very conscious choice a very long time ago to keep the upper echelons of the military from becoming entrenched in DC

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

this is one of the reasons that officers are required to rotate duty stations every two years--the executive branch made a very conscious choice a very long time ago to keep the upper echelons of the military from becoming entrenched in DC

Rotating out is the norm for most rank levels. Seabees are just... special.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Cliven Bundy is coming to Burns, Portland.

Looks like the FBI is hitting the militant jackpot soon. Nice to see he's saving them the time of having to drag him out of his hole so they can nab him with everyone else.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

When the Bill of Rights was penned, we had already learned that a short bow could easily outperform a musket - we'd been on the losing end more often than the winning end dealing with the native peoples, and maintained alliances with certain tribes to defend against others.

By the time guns solidly outpaced bows, legal or not, natives were armed, and adapted their tactics to them in ways Europeans didn't until WWII. We still ended up on the losing end plenty often when it came to battles.

What settlers did to the native peoples of the New World was an atrocity all around, but it wasn't by denying them guns that we did it, it was numbers against the attrition of disease and displacement.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Looks like the FBI is hitting the militant jackpot soon. Nice to see he's saving them the time of having to drag him out of his hole so they can nab him with everyone else.

Holy shit I so hope they arrest him for inciting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

big%20smile%20kitten.jpg

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Couscous on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Isn't the Gadsden Flag (the Don't Tread On Me one) supposed to be yellow?

-edit- Like they have a yellow version on the SUV/truck/whatever (also is that a Nissan vehicle? Way to be patriotic!).

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    American True Patriots! You can tell because we have a flag from a country that went to war and lost against the USA featured as prominently as the American flag.

Gah.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Look, it's really simple. The official stuff is posted on his Facebook page first! Ta-da!

Christ, these fucking people. :rotate:

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular

I swear, the first time I read that, I thought the dude's name was Douchette.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

There's a thing with the militia movement involving grand juries they form convicting people of crimes. There's some wacked out reasoning behind it that goes back to the same shit where they think the Sheriff is the top law enforcement official as outlined in the Constitution.

But basically it involves a bunch of these wackos getting together, claiming to be a grand jury, having a fake court case and indicting people and then harassing said people in real life.

This gentlemen is apparently part of said system and someone has now done it back to him and he is legit terrified of the shit he's done to others coming back on him.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Dude, there's plenty of people who badmouth the government, and the president, while serving.

Yeah, I remember plenty of vocal dissatisfaction with Cheney and some top army leadership, but open talk of armed insurrection was far, far beyond what was acceptable talk.
    That's not generally how people see their service and even the ones that do see it that way don't see it as doing it for the government but for some kind of American ideal. Nobody thinks "I'm doing this for the Senate!".

The whole sentiment kind of smacks of the "people died for your freedom" BS I don't especially like. Soldiers are more complicated than that, and most of them are doing it for personal reasons more complex than freedom, government, or America.

I probably phrased it poorly. What I'm talking about is military service and how equates to government service. There's the popular myth that you're literally government property when you're enlisted, for instance, and with the amount of control your branch and unit assert over your life it's practically true. You're always subservient to the government in every interaction. It shapes policies, sets deployments, and conducts investigations. You frequently work under other arms of the government. It's an inescapable and obvious reality of military service. If you'd just joined it might come as a shock, maybe. People might harbor some resentment about it, but it was accepted and anything more than the infrequent joke would not have been tolerated in the culture I remember.

Now, maybe things have changed since Obama has been in office. The bulk of my time in was during the Bush administration and the military is pretty conservative, so a change wouldn't surprise me. While I sure hear plenty of complaints about foreign policy and the reduction in forces on Facebook, it's nothing amounting to sedition and I'd be pretty shocked if it was.

Not really. Vets in the US are pretty much forgotten about in all but name after their service. Higher chances of homelessness and mental illness, lower chances of finding employment. You leave the military thinking you've done something only for people to tell you that it doesn't count as job experience even in the same field.

However every single politician loves to talk about soldiers and vets. About helping them while reducing spending on them. About trying to improve the VA while overloading the system by creating a surge of vets when they reduced manning numbers in the military and defunding them.

There are a lot of vets who have a pretty solid grudge against the guys who told them they'd take care of them in repayment for their time and service, only to be forgotten about while the politicians continue to spout the same rhetoric to the next group of trainees and talk about the successes with vets that few have ever personally experienced.

The handful of vets aren't crazy people, they're people who have had to deal with a system that can be infuriating at the best of times.

You have a pretty good point.

While that may be true, I'm not convinced that's the case in the US with the US military.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

While that may be true, I'm not convinced that's the case in the US with the US military.

I was simply remarking on why some service members could have strong antigovernment views. I agree it's probably fairly limited, the US military is fairly depoliticized, especially lately when fewer high-ranking officers seem to be getting into prominent national politics.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The fake grand jury thing is literally the first world equivalent of your neighbors paying a witch doctor to put a curse on you.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The fake grand jury thing is literally the first world equivalent of your neighbors paying a witch doctor to put a curse on you.
    IIRC it's a bit worse than that. Instead of your neighbors making the sign of the evil eye at your bad juju, the militia types will clog up the courts with scurrilous lawsuits, complete with all the bullshit "admiralty flag" language that takes clerks weeks to get through.

I get why the judge or clerk of court doesn't throw the massive stack of papers in the shredder and flip 'em the bird, but man would that be satisfying to see.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    IIRC it's a bit worse than that. Instead of your neighbors making the sign of the evil eye at your bad juju, the militia types will clog up the courts with scurrilous lawsuits, complete with all the bullshit "admiralty flag" language that takes clerks weeks to get through.

I get why the judge or clerk of court doesn't throw the massive stack of papers in the shredder and flip 'em the bird, but man would that be satisfying to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSkBONbDwA

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, I went searching for any rational discussion on the "Gold fringe on the flag" and you legitimately can't find an early google search that isn't crazy talk.

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/flag.htm

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1296633/posts

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.