Options

Oregon Militia: All aboard the crazy train.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Holy shit that voice cuts through my soul like a freaking lightsaber through an arm.

Sleep on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    OMG just the disconnect between what she's saying and reality.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Holy shit that voice cuts through my soul like a freaking lightsaber through an arm.

I love the way the cop says "Young Lady" because I'm pretty sure that's not what he was thinking.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Don't you just hate when the magic spell fails to banish the cops arresting you. :D

"I present legal arguments to avoid arrest"

art-mco-critical-failure.png

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So I'm not going to say I'm the most law abiding citizen of all time, but when I get caught breaking the law I'll fucking own my shit and deal with these problem the way you are supposed to. Get arrested , say nothing, go to court and fight there.
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Don't you just hate when the magic spell fails to banish the cops arresting you. :D

No matter what you get on the roll you fail. Legal arguments are for the court. Getting arrested is what happens when a cop just thinks they've caught you breaking the law in a manner that requires arresting.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Sleep in my defense I did try to GIS a 20-sided die with nothing but critical failures on every face but alas i was in a hurry

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So I'm not going to say I'm the most law abiding citizen of all time, but when I get caught breaking the law I'll fucking own my shit and deal with these problem the way you are supposed to. Get arrested , say nothing, go to court and fight there.

No matter what you get on the roll you fail. Legal arguments are for the court. Getting arrested is what happens when a cop just thinks they've caught you breaking the law in a manner that requires arresting.

Most police have immunity to legal arguments as a class feature.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

Yep. If the arrest is illegal you can get out and sue, but you don't argue the point at the time.

The reporter trying to get out of charges is an interesting idea. If he did not call for more support and make those announcements earlier I wonder if he might have had some success.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Sleep in my defense I did try to GIS a 20-sided die with nothing but critical failures on every face but alas i was in a hurry

I admire your effort, and no worries the joke was still hilarious.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    "A free inhabitant, they are free people... they have all of the rights of a US citizen without following any of their laws"

Holy shit, I consider myself an anarchist and even I'm like :rotate:

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    That deputy is a saint

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options

Yep. If the arrest is illegal you can get out and sue, but you don't argue the point at the time.

Snip.

Most precisely because this is the point in time where you are most likely to completely fuck your case. Trying to argue the point at the time of arrest is stupid because you are likely to reveal facts and make incriminating statements that are now usable in court. The cop is just going to keep writing down everything you say for use in court.

That's why it goes get arrested, shut up, talk to lawyer. Court is the only way you are getting rid of the charges anyways.

The cop is trained to not give a fuck about possibly being wrong, or acting as a judge and jury for if you would eventually endup in prison or not. In fact they don't care if you endup in prison or not. That is not their call to make. Their job is to be like an impartial referee on the law not to decide the exact enactment of it. If they observe a possible infraction their job is to bring you back and get you into the legal process. That may be via citation or arrest. From there it is a matter for the courts to decide, and the only thing they add to that process is via sworn testimony of everything you said and did in their custody should they be asked to do so.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

So are we attributing the patience and politeness of that cop to her whiteness, the wacky pseudolegalese, or the video recording?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Eh, rolling a 20 could be as simple as "The cop stares blankly for a long moment before muttering 'I don't have time for this shit' and telling you to move along."

• Options
    edited February 2016
    TL DR wrote: »

So are we attributing the patience and politeness of that cop to her whiteness, the wacky pseudolegalese, or the video recording?

I choose, in uncharacteristic act of good will towards a fellow human being, to believe we've encountered the ever elusive "good cop", and neither her color, wacky legalistic spell casting, or video recording had hand in her treatment.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Is any of this even about Oregon?

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Also the "rape" claim, really supportive of actual victims of that shit...

I really hope that dumb fuckhead had to spend at least a couple of weeks in jail.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Probably not.
    Apart from sovereign citizen wackyness being similarish.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    shryke wrote: »

It's a tangent built off the folks in Oregon referencing a bunch of sovereign citizen garbage as part of their whole deal.

It's actually been a bit educational to me. While I have some experience reading up on the militia movement and listening to their videos I hadn't actually experienced too much with the sovereign citizen movement this far in my life.

I didn't even know what they were freaking talking about with their malarkey grand juries and shit so this whole sovereign citizen tangent has introduced me to another layer of what these chucklefucks are on about.

In regards to the Oregon situation itself we are basically just waiting to get the news that the last 4 have either been taken or given themselves up, and seeing what the actual charges against everyone are (which I'm assuming we get that list after the last 4 are taken).

As we await further news we're just entertaining associated discourse about the sovereign citizen movements which seem to be entrenched in portions of the militia movement. Right now the topic being that everything about sovereign citizenry seems to be completely made of smoke and mirrors and total BS that's hard to refute because it's built on dreams and magic that rarely interact with reality.

Edit: I also see that you're very capable of having pieced most of that together yourself and were likely asking rhetorically.

Sleep on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I mean, she says sovereign citizen shit. But it really almost jumps into hippy territory for a while there.

"I'm a citizen of the Earth, man."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

It's a tangent built off the folks in Oregon referencing a bunch of sovereign citizen garbage as part of their whole deal.

It's actually been a bit educational to me. While I have some experience reading up on the militia movement and listening to their videos I hadn't actually experienced too much with the sovereign citizen movement this far in my life.

I didn't even know what they were freaking taking about with their malarkey grand juries and shit so this whole sovereign citizen tangent has introduced me to another layer of what these chucklefucks are on about.

In regards to the Oregon situation itself we are basically just waiting to get the news that the last 4 have either been taken or given themselves up, and seeing what the actual charges against everyone are (which I'm assuming we get that list after the last 4 are taken).

As we await further news we're just entertaining associated discourse about the sovereign citizen movements which seem to be entrenched in portions of the militia movement. Right now the topic being that everything about sovereign citizenry seems to be completely made of smoke and mirrors and total BS that's hard to refute because it's built on dreams and magic that rarely interact with reality.

Edit: I also see that you're very capable of having pieced most of that together yourself and were likely asking rhetorically.

The citizen grand jury and judge stuff in particular is extremely surreal to me

And of course makes it extra hilarious when one of the militia guys tweets that a fake grand jury ruling against them being circulated around isn't real and not to be duped

All of your grand juries are fake! omg!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I just liked that she was quoting the articles of confederation.

Specifically, she was willfully misunderstanding a document not even used anymore. Like, you can't stop at just misunderstanding the constitution. Find the PRIOR constitution and misunderstand that!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Really I just want to know who convinced her of all that shit, and whether they themselves believed it or were just playing a horrible trick.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I mean, she says sovereign citizen shit. But it really almost jumps into hippy territory for a while there.

Some of the YouTube comments were swearing at hippies.

And I was like, hippies and sovereign citizens are like... very different sorts of people :eh:

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Sovereign citizens and their entire heaping mountain of bullshit has lots of elements that work their way into the governmental systems the Bundy's and their followers promote such as citizen grand juries, pretend judges, and the Harney County Committee for Safety which is what they're calling the unofficial, unelected shadow government of dildos/dimwits said dildos/dimwits have set up.

It's many different flavors of bullshit, but it's from the same breed of bull.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

And I was like, hippies and sovereign citizens are like... very different sorts of people :eh:
    A reddit thread with that video had a bunch of people calling her a tumblrina, which, again, very different thing to a sovereign citizen.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

A reddit thread with that video had a bunch of people calling her a tumblrina, which, again, very different thing to a sovereign citizen.

Not sure what internet name calling has to do with anything. Regardless of what she or anyone else label her, the general view espoused is ideologically aligned with the Sovereign Citizen movement.

Which is fun, because despite their claims to the contrary, they're still subject to this country's laws!

It's willful ignorance all the way down...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    All this sovereign citizen talk reminded me of this old video posted of a sovereign citizen being extremely annoying before getting (satisfyingly) tasered at the end:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7U5eJN3hLI
    It wasn't as painful as it sounds.. Barnes didn't actually taze HIM, he tazed his PERSON.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

I didn't even know what they were freaking taking about with their malarkey grand juries and shit so this whole sovereign citizen tangent has introduced me to another layer of what these chucklefucks are on about.

The citizen grand jury and judge stuff in particular is extremely surreal to me

And of course makes it extra hilarious when one of the militia guys tweets that a fake grand jury ruling against them being circulated around isn't real and not to be duped

All of your grand juries are fake! omg!

He should have known better than to leave out his REAL OFFICIAL CITIZEN GRAND JURY DISCLAIMER: ORIGINAL GRAND JURY DECISION DO NOT STEAL

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Sovereign citizens and their entire heaping mountain of bullshit has lots of elements that work their way into the governmental systems the Bundy's and their followers promote such as citizen grand juries, pretend judges, and the Harney County Committee for Safety which is what they're calling the unofficial, unelected shadow government of dildos/dimwits said dildos/dimwits have set up.

No joke, but the bolded sounds like something from 1984. Or a really bad parody of communists.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The fake grand jury thing is literally the first world equivalent of your neighbors paying a witch doctor to put a curse on you.
    IIRC it's a bit worse than that. Instead of your neighbors making the sign of the evil eye at your bad juju, the militia types will clog up the courts with scurrilous lawsuits, complete with all the bullshit "admiralty flag" language that takes clerks weeks to get through.

I get why the judge or clerk of court doesn't throw the massive stack of papers in the shredder and flip 'em the bird, but man would that be satisfying to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSkBONbDwA

"That is all. Furthermore," is what nails the concept for me.

Just using words without actually understanding any.

This is a perfect opportunity to recommend reading the decision in Meads vs Meads, which goes well beyond the facts of the case to review and deconstruct many such flavours of Sovereign Citizen Legal Arguments. It's actually super interesting.

I'm going to have to steal "a living flesh and blood sentient-man" for use as my email signature.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/1pBougV1JK4

I enjoy that comedians are now making fun of these groups. How it hasn't been happening for years I don't know.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    chrisnl wrote: »

No joke, but the bolded sounds like something from 1984. Or a really bad parody of communists.

Or the French Revolution.

Also cops reacting nicely to Sovereign Citizens is always impressive, considering cops occasionally get shot at traffic stops by these dicks

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    As an intern, sovereign citizen court filings were the best because they were the craziest shit and gave you loads of stories to pull out at parties for entertainment purposes. But they were a complete pain in the ass to the judges, judicial assistants and judicial clerks. There were also a pain for the court clerks, because often these people would try to file without paying the filing fees and throw a bloody fit requiring them to be escorted off the premises by a Sheriff's deputy.

I doubt they care for the word/page limit either.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/1pBougV1JK4

I enjoy that comedians are now making fun of these groups. How it hasn't been happening for years I don't know.

Because most people wouldn't know what they were talking about our they'd assume the comedian was making it up.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

I was going to go with "French Revolution," myself.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Is it too much to hope that John Oliver does a piece on them?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

If it's still ongoing I would guarantee he talks about the militia movement or sovereign citizens cause it's too much comedy potential not to.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    God, I hope so.

Crossing my fingers for it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also cops reacting nicely to Sovereign Citizens is always impressive, considering cops occasionally get shot at traffic stops by these dicks
    Most of them don't know how dangerous these people are and think they're just harmless kooks. Thankfully there are some training videos that have come out which inform officers how dangerous SCs are (very!) and what you should do when confronted by one (call for backup, act polite until backup arrives).

Interestingly this video (nsfw for video of that guy shooting the cop at a traffic stop) says that one of the SC warning signs is a bunch of anti-government bumper stickers.

This discussion has been closed.