As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Game Thread where we discuss genre name semantics

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    If anything I learned a valuable lesson, don't back something just because they have a good concept and a good pedigree unless they actually have something to show to begin with (more than concept work, I mean).

And if you do back it, do it at a reasonable level

I feel like when John Romero of all people needs to pull his kickstarter with the intent of re-launching it with something more concrete to show, expectations have changed a whole lot about what a kickstarter needs to look like.

True. But remember how long ago this one was... it was one of the really first "big" ones AFAIK. Its certainly was the first bideo game KS I ever backed, and if it hadn't drawn my attention to KS there's a lot of other cool games I wouldn't have backed either like Hyper Light Drifter.

Oh yeah, but that's the point right? Like back then, Inafune wants to make a Mega Man style game, and the response is "holy shit give this man money!"

Now, John Romero wants to make a Doom style game, and the response becomes "Okay John, that sounds good, but what do you have to show us so far? Do you even have anything playable yet?"

It's a huge shift over time for expectations on the platform and it's kind of interesting

And I mean, Romero has been attached to some legendarily shitty properties, sure, but Inafune isn't exactly rocking a flawless record either

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    My original comment was the same sort of thing I'd say if I bought a game and then discovered it was bad.

It's just that obviously a kickstarter is much more risky, and not something I could've waited to see what reviews said.

If MN9 is total trash, will I regret backing it? Yes. I will. Because what I put money into was the hope that a cool spiritual successor to Megaman would get made, and anything that isn't that will be disappointing for sure!

I am not angry about it though, despite all of the issues plaguing its development. As has been pointed out, I was also able to put a tiny bit of money towards supporting people and their families. Maybe some of those people are to blame for the game being a mess... Maybe! But the rest probably did their best, and I cannot feel angry with that in perspective.

I do also wish I had've perhaps backed it for less (I forget how much I spent, but it wasn't like $$texas but it was more than the base game).

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I wish video games were never made

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

And then the Goblin King kidnapped all video games

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

But then you'd have all those nerds wandering the streets, doing gods know what.

Truly the bleakest future.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

And then the Goblin King kidnapped all video games

If that's what it takes to get Bowie back, I'll take it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Gosh, I don't. I've formed so many friendships over a mutual love of games, some of my best bonding moments with people have been through Smash Bros or Mario Kart, and I have so many great memories that involve games.

Hell, we wouldn't even have your awesome avatar of a Normal Human Father, if not for video games. Nowhere else do human fathers get the media attention they deserve.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I've seen enough times that G2A and other key resellers are a bit shady, but never really read up on exactly what they do that makes them so, deciding just to stay clear of them in general because they do seem like a bit of a liability to get scammed. Then I read this article earlier and now that I understand the process, I can say I'm pretty glad I don't go near them:
    http://blog.indiegamestand.com/featured-articles/steam-key-reselling-killing-little-guys/

this is a good article.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Wanna hear a FUNNY JOKE??

When Mighty No.9 was first put up on Kickstarter I donated 200 bucks towards it

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    the punchline to that joke is me

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I put up like, 130 I think

at least I got a cool t-shirt

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I'm real real glad I was strapped for cash at the time and only backed it for $20

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »

This is in the running for Best Tasteticle Story Of All Time.

forumsig.png
  • Options

nothing's going to beat crab battle

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    All the kickstarters I've backed have been fulfilled or are going to be fulfilled.

But I've only really backed boardgames.

Also this damn Shogun big box has taken for-fucking-ever to come out. I was supposed to get it in February!

• Options

I don't think I know that one... I do have a fondness for Making It Rain $80 For A Hobo.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I did not back Mighty No. 9 because I didn't really play Mega Man growing up.

Joke's on those who did, I guess?

• Options
    What I wanted was for someone to make a Mega Man game, because Capcom was clearly not interested in ever doing that again.

What I didn't want was for them to prove Capcom right.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Megaman is one of those games I have a lot of nostalgia for, but every time I try to play it these days I'm reminded that I don't think I actually like playing them. That was eventually the reason I didn't back MN9. I figured if I wound up truly craving it, I could always just buy it like normal.

After the stupid "Red Ash Kickstarter X 2" fiasco, I kinda glad I didn't.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    oh wow, is it true that they didn't even notify the backers about that new trailer

• Options

I don't think I know that one... I do have a fondness for Making It Rain $80 For A Hobo.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27149790/#Comment_27149790

Fast forward to the year of our lord 2016 and we are engaged to be married

• Options

Holy shit, this is incredible.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle has some of the best storytelling chops on this whole forum

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    @Tasteticle are you still the top google result for 'dude shitting himself in spandex pants'

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I'm a big fan of blind lady in the swimming pool.

e. Is that right? Have I made that up?

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If anything I learned a valuable lesson, don't back something just because they have a good concept and a good pedigree unless they actually have something to show to begin with (more than concept work, I mean).

And if you do back it, do it at a reasonable level

I feel like when John Romero of all people needs to pull his kickstarter with the intent of re-launching it with something more concrete to show, expectations have changed a whole lot about what a kickstarter needs to look like.

True. But remember how long ago this one was... it was one of the really first "big" ones AFAIK. Its certainly was the first bideo game KS I ever backed, and if it hadn't drawn my attention to KS there's a lot of other cool games I wouldn't have backed either like Hyper Light Drifter.

Oh yeah, but that's the point right? Like back then, Inafune wants to make a Mega Man style game, and the response is "holy shit give this man money!"

Now, John Romero wants to make a Doom style game, and the response becomes "Okay John, that sounds good, but what do you have to show us so far? Do you even have anything playable yet?"

It's a huge shift over time for expectations on the platform and it's kind of interesting

And I mean, Romero has been attached to some legendarily shitty properties, sure, but Inafune isn't exactly rocking a flawless record either

Definitely agreeing with your general assessment but even as someone who's a Doom fan and not a Mega Man fan, I'd have been much more willing to give Infanue money rather than Romero. Romero hasn't made anything worthwhile since about 1993. Although I'll be totally stoked if Blackroom comes out and is awesome.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    @Tasteticle are you still the top google result for 'dude shitting himself in spandex pants'

No, I have been dethroned

Thank the lord

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

you need to tell this story every Christmas

how has it not already been animated

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    All the kickstarters I've backed have been fulfilled or are going to be fulfilled.

Also this damn Shogun big box has taken for-fucking-ever to come out. I was supposed to get it in February!

I recently backed the Tak Kickstarter for $250 because I really, really wanted that nice board

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I recently backed the Tak Kickstarter for $250 because I really, really wanted that nice board

A beautiful board for a beautiful game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

A beautiful board for a beautiful game.

What's funny is that I'd be willing to bet nobody I know will want to play it with me. I might be able to browbeat some coworkers into playing it like I did with Carcasonne and some other games but that'll only get me so far.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Tasteticle are you still the top google result for 'dude shitting himself in spandex pants'

No, I have been dethroned

Thank the lord

finally, you can shower off that butt

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options

I'm a big fan of blind lady in the swimming pool.

e. Is that right? Have I made that up?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26729383/#Comment_26729383

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Oh good, my memory is functioning

• Options

Oh wait I do remember that! It's incredible!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    oh wow, is it true that they didn't even notify the backers about that new trailer

I had to see that shit embedded in G&T

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I.. hrm.

How do I buy this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think it was a certain kickstarter tier

This discussion has been closed.