As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Uncute thread title.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Title updated. 5 points if you get the reference. OP is horrifically out of date, so I'll try to clean it up when part 2 hits.

NuJkspC.png

Yes hello, I'd like to claim my 5 points.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    do y'all think the squids wash their tentacles with shampoo or what

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Sorry @Maz-, looks like @Taramoor beat you by 5 minutes, so 5 points to him. On the other hand, you get 5 points for posting a Genma pic.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I am still tooling around in Zelda.. but I'm pulling myself away from that to see how this plays.

Man, I wish my TV was working.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    There's another testfire happening in like 20 minutes right?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Testfire just let me connect to do the tutorial!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Looks like the Testfire is live a couple of minutes early. I'll try running my stream again.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Not having success connecting to switch internet, even to accept friend requests

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Not having success connecting to switch internet, even to accept friend requests

Try restarting the Switch (by holding the power button down), and then re-connect to Internet via options.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Try restarting your switch. Mine was doing the same thing but it's working after a reset.

• Options
    There are some definite quality of life improvements in here, but damn if switching jump and map isn't throwing me off, ESPECIALLY with fucking Zelda training me to jump with X!

*turns off motion controls because they aren't working so well on the portable*

• Options
    Yup. Still Splatoon. Connection is quite solid, playing without motion controls works better for my current setup, I like the dualies, 3 minutes still goes WAY TOO DAMN fast.

Also everything looks so much better, like the plastic tarps on un-inkable surfaces.. and the ink itself..

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Got in with brute force eventually~

X was jump in the original so definitely throwing me off as well, now that's it's the "go blind" button

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    i keep getting "An Error has occurred" every time i try starting it

• Options
    I wonder if the idea is to have jump be as close to the stick as possible? That means tip on Wii u, bottom on switch...

They better have the controls be mappable.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    i keep getting "An Error has occurred" every time i try starting it

Same. And "Details" is "The server is operating normally."

So what's the flippin' error, then?

EDIT: Whoops, just connected!

Imperfect on
  • Options
    got in!

also figured out how to turn off motion aiming, thank god

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Did splatoon have leaver penalties? Seeing a few and it instantly sinks the match.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Thinking it's a leaver in this time of connection stress testing?

In any case no it didn't and it was a bummer every time, on the plus side matches are real short

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It's confirmed, I am the worst at Splatoon.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Thinking it's a leaver in this time of connection stress testing?

In any case no it didn't and it was a bummer every time, on the plus side matches are real short

Ah well should improve once the game comes out with ranked mode.

Messing with the lobby music with the control sticks is surprisingly addicting.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Vocals with dpad

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nevermind.. I think I found the source of my woes. I jacked both sensitivity settings to -3 and now im playing much better.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I think I play better with gyro controls in portable mode. The weight of the system helps me make more subtle movements.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Man, this guy that's been in the last few matches. He's using the charger, and just spamming the shots everywhere.... and naturally, is just constantly dying.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    welp. testfire is done for today. ah well.

Can't wait for the full game release.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    es0u2XT.jpg

p9ZgNhJ.jpg

This is the game after changing my sensitivity settings. Yeah we lost but I had been 0 for the century before that so it's something worth celebrating.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Found out the hard way you're on a time limit to pull the trigger on those missiles once you start targeting

Just line up already!

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Woo Splatoon. It's been too long. So much fun playing in handheld.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Managed to stream the last 20 minutes or so of the latest testfire. Unfortunately it felt like about half of that was spend waiting for matchmaking, but I got a few matches in at least.

My first Splatoon, so take it easy on me.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Testfire impressions:

Roller feels like an impressive buff, or maybe i'm playing with enough noobs that my utter lack of nuance with the roller makes me competitive again. Splatdown is useful when you get ambushed, but the windup is too slow and the impact is too small. Needs to be widened to about the area of an Inkstrike.

Missiles need to be faster, much faster. As it is, all they're good for is area denial right now.

I like the joycon and the default aiming sensitivity for the charger now. The megabeam or whatever it is needs to be faster too, though, like the minigun of yore.

The jetpack's pretty good on the deadliness front, but the weakness of being a pretty easy target needs to be addressed by stopping the recoil when the attack ends: they're trying to stop you from getting places you shouldn't go, i disagree, you should be able to do that, especially since you can't carry anything while superjumping or special attacking, so it won't screw up with things like Rainmaker.

Both stages seem on the small side, but designed pretty well for all of that.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Also chalk it up to being a newbie but man I sure did fall through the grates in the floor/off the stage a lot.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    i was looking at all the grates thinking heh heh heh

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    The new maps are interesting... They both feel a lot like Urchin Underpass more than any of the other old maps, but with even more hideyholes.

That fucking jump button change is gonna take some getting used to.

I love that undercut/glasses combo, still A+ style all around.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm in love with the splat dualies. I think I'm going to main them.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Played two games and now I can't connect. No matter. This game controls like dogshit. I'm mystified this game is so popular.

I'm not sure where this sentiment comes from. I can perform ridiculous maneuvers quite easily in Splatoon, things you haven't been able to do in shooters since Quake 3 Arena. It's not that it controls poorly, just that there's a learning curve and you need to accept that you won't be awesome right away. Also play with Motion Controls. Gyro is a must if you want to break the skill ceiling.

You could tell many players hadn't played Splatoon before, or at least not often as my wife and I dominated basically every match. I mean like 2000 points and 10-0 kind of dominating. Dualies are pretty fun, and a rolling is a nice counter for that moment when you realize you are about to be nailed by a charger. Also you can apparently hold ZL and drop yourself out of the sky when you're using the inkjet.

Edit: Am I nuts or did the Reef map have absolutely no way to get up into the enemy base near their spawn? I found a way in Musselforge Fitness, but not in the other.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Inkjets seem awfully vulnerable, as long as one wasn't directly facing me I had time to line up and take the perfect shot.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The roller definitely feels like the easiest to pick up and play with little prior experience. My daughter who never plays any kind of FPS/action games tried a few during the test fire, and she was able to get first place a couple times using the roller. I'm sure there's some nuance to it as you get more competitive, but at first glance it seems the most straightforward.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    A quick heads up I think might prove helpful. When super humping you can fire before you hit the ground. Caught out a few people who seemed to think because they could see where I'd land I was a safe kill.