As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Played two games and now I can't connect. No matter. This game controls like dogshit. I'm mystified this game is so popular.

It okay to like different things.

But not smartphone games. :P

It's not okay to like smartphone games? What?

I was making a joke at your past tendency to chime up and say that smartphone games are crap at every opportunity.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

edit: Pro tip - move your left stick during the lobby load screen.

Funky.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Welp. It's Splatoon! Feels really damn good in portable mode on the Switch. Was worried about controls being too sensitive or screen size, but it works really well. I love that the Switch turns into a DJ station when you're loading or in the lobby!

First match was a close one right away! Looking forward to splatting with you folks when it comes out!

30n7N3M.png

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Played two games and now I can't connect. No matter. This game controls like dogshit. I'm mystified this game is so popular.

It okay to like different things.

But not smartphone games. :P

It's not okay to like smartphone games? What?

I was making a joke at your past tendency to chime up and say that smartphone games are crap at every opportunity.

Of course, and I feel that way, but you're welcome to like them, which was kind of the point of my "It's okay to like different things" post.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Heyahhh
    nufmic0qow7u.jpg

e: size change

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Heyahhh
      005gboq31oh0.jpg

If this is too big I'll change it when I get back!

Use that tiny button on your left joycon down towards the bottom mate. :P

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      lol I'm so bad at this.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      lol I'm so bad at this.

So say we all

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options
      RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
      Really fun game with the current controls. For some reason I never enjoyed the first, but the second is on my must buy list.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    • Options
      It's supposed to have ended 10 minutes ago, but I'm still playing.

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      And there ends the first session.

Rather like both of the new maps, they've got some interesting geometry going on. I know I'm going to need more practice with the Dualies before I get comfortable with them, need to get down the timing on the dodge roll.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »
      It's supposed to have ended 10 minutes ago, but I'm still playing.

its over johnny

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      I obviously need to play more but so far the Tenta Missiles seem a bit weak.

Turns out you actually need to lock on to enemies!

C7taOqUV4AAPSDG.jpg

Still, it doesn't seem that powerful. However, it does have its uses - it shows you your enemies' positions (kinda like the Echolocator) and it forces them to move. I'm not sure the Splattershot is a good fit for it though.

• Options
      It seems great for hunting down chargers who are perched on a ledge, or for firing at someone and then charging them so they can't dodge both your shots and the incoming rocket salvo.
      EAT HOT ROCKET DEATH

persona4celestia.jpg
    • Options
      edited March 2017
      My first Splatoon kill ever!

cI4UN2k.jpg

BENNI'S SOUL IS NOW MINE BY WAY OF MY ACTIONS!

The motion controls felt awkward to me but I absolutely cannot hit a damn thing with regular aiming, the only time I ever even have a chance is when I'm using the motion controls.

I did go 5-3 one round, so I'll call this one a victory. Onto tonight, where I'll get my ass kicked some more!

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      SulSul Registered User regular
      I hope you're enjoying yourselves with your Switches, playing Splatoon 2 and talking about it. I hate you all.

/me slowly begins sobbing

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
      Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
    • Options
      Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
      So they may have totally fixed everything I used to hate about the splattershot, somehow. Of the four on test it's easily that or the dualies for me; just can't cover enough territory with the splat charger but at least I can actually kill with it now, given the ability to hold charge when swimming; makes charger duels much more interesting to say the least as you can actually use cover. Still don't like the roller, feels wrong but maybe that's because I always end up tilting the camera into top-down view somehow.
      Dualies have a lovely wide-but-straight spread and are at least as powerful as the splattershot per-hit in conjoined mode, plus the roll dodge is really handy (when I remember to use it).
      The Splattershot though… seems to have gotten some sort of minor auto-aim or something? Waaay more accurate now at least and a solid three-shot-splat makes burst fire reasonable.

Super-weapon wise: the sting ray is a worse Killer Wail that can be turned, maybe. Instant kill through cover sounds great in principle but is practically impossible unless you're already where you can see the whole enemy team, at which point the Tenta-Missiles are better anyway so….
      Speaking of: Tenta-missiles get exponentially better the greater their field of fire; always super-jump home before use and you will regularly get triple or team-kills.
      Surprisingly the direct replacement for the old super missile is the splashdown. Much shorter windup but pretty much the same area of effect, looks like it will be amazing with squid beakons if they are in the full game. Against it you do get a decent warning, enough to dodge if you're very quick on your tentacles and close to the edge of the burst.
      Finally, the jet pack; they play the return-to-start feature as a disadvantage in the trailers and demos but it's really the opposite. Because of it, you can use the pack really aggressively and push forward quite a ways knowing that if you get into trouble you'll be sent back to where you started, deep in home turf. Watch out for snipers though!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
      Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
      DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    • Options
      What was that clothing I saw on different characters when I died? There would be three boxes with a slot for head chest and legs next to their character on the killcam. I'm an absolute noob to Splatoon so excuse the dumb questions.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      edited March 2017
      What was that clothing I saw on different characters when I died? There would be three boxes with a slot for head chest and legs next to their character on the killcam. I'm an absolute noob to Splatoon so excuse the dumb questions.

Traditionally, clothing had little buffs on them that unlocked the more you played with them. The ?'s were used as placeholders for slots/abilities you havn't unlocked yet, since what they ended up having was random.

I was under the impression that in 2 it uses more of a tag system that lets you slot things onto clothes, although I havn't heard a solid article on how exactly that it'll exactly work.

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Heyahhh
      005gboq31oh0.jpg

When are you going to start on guitar grade 2?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options

Original Splatoon allowed you to purchase "gear" (i.e. clothes, boots, and motorcycles hats) that gave special benefits like charging your special faster or giving better defence etc. This system is apparently returning but modified in as-yet unspecified ways.

• Options
      edited March 2017
      The motion controls felt awkward to me but I absolutely cannot hit a damn thing with regular aiming, the only time I ever even have a chance is when I'm using the motion controls.

I did go 5-3 one round, so I'll call this one a victory. Onto tonight, where I'll get my ass kicked some more!

I was the same way, didn't love the motion controls at first, switched to the sticks and felt noticeably gimped, like I kept trying to move my controller to aim and it didn't work, and my performance suffered, and I switched back and never looked back. Well, I tried sticks a couple more times just to confirm they weren't as good.

Something like 75% of Splatoon players use the motion control, including all of the pro players. It takes a little practice but it's worth it.

I recommend the roller for learning motion control, since it relies much less on aiming, the motion is just camera control so it's less critical to your success. Plus rollers are fun anyway!

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      Heyahhh
      005gboq31oh0.jpg

When are you going to start on guitar grade 2?

Already did! haha!

• Options
        Heyahhh
        005gboq31oh0.jpg

But how do I pull off the file?!

• Options
          SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
          How similar is it to the first? People were saying they don't like the controls but I hear motion controls are actually the way to go for Splatoon.

• Options
          PMAvers wrote: »

Traditionally, clothing had little buffs on them that unlocked the more you played with them. The ?'s were used as placeholders for slots/abilities you havn't unlocked yet, since what they ended up having was random.

I was under the impression that in 2 it uses more of a tag system that lets you slot things onto clothes, although I havn't heard a solid article on how exactly that it'll exactly work.

So everyone had random stuff in the testfire? Because some people had generic clothes and others had hockey gear etc.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
        • Options
          SniperGuy wrote: »
          How similar is it to the first? People were saying they don't like the controls but I hear motion controls are actually the way to go for Splatoon.

Control-wise? Basically identical. Same range of sensitivity settings too, it seems. Weapon-wise it's familiar enough but also different enough that my main will probably change if the Splattershot remains the same…

• Options
          Heyahhh
          005gboq31oh0.jpg

But how do I pull off the file?!

You post it to facebook or twitter from the screenshot library. You could possibly link to directly from there, or copy the pic and paste at imgur and post that upload. It's a shame that there is so much compression though.

• Options

So everyone had random stuff in the testfire? Because some people had generic clothes and others had hockey gear etc.

The outfits seemed to be random every match during the Testfire, and didn't have any effects tied to them.

persona4celestia.jpg
        • Options

The way it worked in previous test fires, everyone had identical buffs and that seems to be the case here. With the apparent change to how those buffs are attached to clothing, it seems like everyone did get totally random gear. Changing between matches even.

• Options

The outfits seemed to be random every match during the Testfire, and didn't have any effects tied to them.

They do have effects tied to them! You can see the ones on your opponent's gear after they splat you.

• Options

They do have effects tied to them! You can see the ones on your opponent's gear after they splat you.

Huh, went back and re-watched my VOD, and you're totally right. Everything seems to have the first slot of upgrades filled.

persona4celestia.jpg
        • Options
          BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
          edited March 2017
          did they do the same thing as last time - start with a tutorial area before launching you into the matches proper?

from pmaver's stream looks like yes but they added a timer this time around~~~

BlueBlue on
          CD World Tour status:
          Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
        • Options
          Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
          Played the session earlier this afternoon, and it was my first Splatoon experience whatsoever. I enjoyed it! The motion controls will definitely take some getting used to, but I can already see how they'll be an advantage over typical twin sticks. I'm embarrassed how long it took me to realize I had the special ability by pressing in the right stick once it was charged. I think I was Iike 45 minutes in before figuring that out.

Tonight should be fun now that I've had a little time to break in. Looking forward to it.

Steam | Twitch
          Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
        • Options
          edited March 2017
          Yeah, I assume the timer this time around is to keep people from sitting in there forever. I *do* wish the timer was kind of longer, since I was still fiddling with stream stuff when the timer was about to run out and wouldn't have minded being able to run around a little bit.

And from going back and re-watching the VOD, I had no idea my mic was set to be that low. Probably should crank it up before I go live again for tonight's session.

PMAvers on
          persona4celestia.jpg
        • Options
          BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
          yeah i was asking with full intent to sit there forever

and ha, watching the vod now i had no idea you were mic'd

CD World Tour status:
          Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
        • Options
          DirtyDirty Registered User regular
          So can you select weapons and gear for the stress test, and if so, do you have to wait for the hours of play? I'd rather not waste time in the menus when I could be inking.

• Options
          edited March 2017
          Dirty wrote: »
          So can you select weapons and gear for the stress test, and if so, do you have to wait for the hours of play? I'd rather not waste time in the menus when I could be inking.

No choices in gear for the Testfire, it's just random outfits. For weapons, when you go to queue, it brings up a window with four choices of weapons. (A Splattershot, a Dualies, a Charger, and a Roller.) You pick one, and it drops you into the queue. Post-game, if you hit Exit it'll take you back to that window and let you choose a new weapon.

PMAvers on
          persona4celestia.jpg
        • Options
          DirtyDirty Registered User regular
          Thanks. Hope I'm able to get a few matches in during tonight's test fire.

• Options
          MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          Title updated. 5 points if you get the reference. OP is horrifically out of date, so I'll try to clean it up when part 2 hits.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page