As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Election Season: More Argument than Duck Season v. Rabbit Season

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    If it was today though? 100 cans of Darth Vader soup.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Heh

She's using him as a Barry-er

AND THAT GOES DOUBLE FOR YOU, JOSH.

I've heard you tell jokes twice as bad as that, Mike

When you're sober, even

That's true, that's very true.

That's also a recrimination, isn't it?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Man I would take a can each of cheddar cheese, broccoli and cheese, and cream of broccoli, mix it together in a pot, add two cans worth of milk, and just let it sit on low and ladle it into a mug. Feed myself all day

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Heh

When you're sober, even

Sure, but how often do we hear about what you are like when you aren't under some sort of influence? I figured a recrimination is worth that.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The article specifically stated 'Campbell's Chunky Soup' so we can start from there. Let's go and take a look, shall we?

Jesus, there's 81 different flavors.

I can tell you that as I have been forced to stock and strip in displays all the flavors
    I can say it's silly and a poor idea of what's in your store if you don't know that as what sells of the 81

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Bernie has finally talked his way out of getting my vote

he is just too hard-line on policies that he cannot execute on to the point of ignoring sense

I just can't do it

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I'm glad we are keeping this soup discussion civil, and no one is putting anyone else down on their soup choices.
    I love the middle eastern soups my family cooks, especially kipteh. Booshala is a close second!

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    To be fair to Cruz, I can absolutely see newly-weds wanting to spend as little time cooking as possible.
    Doesn't justify eating Campbell's every day though.
    Especially without toast.

• Options

Heh

When you're sober, even

Sure, but how often do we hear about what you are like when you aren't under some sort of influence? I figured a recrimination is worth that.

None of that is admissible in a court of law.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I'm glad we are keeping this soup discussion civil, and no one is putting anyone else down on their soup choices.
    I love the middle eastern soups my family cooks, especially kipteh. Booshala is a close second!

I just looked up kipteh. I'm in trouble now.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I love Campbell's Chunky Clam Chowder best, but my mom makes a chicken tortilla soup that I will eat for days, to the exclusion of all else. It is that good.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So apparently Trump called Mitt Romney a choke artist and then mimed choking while saying "I can't breathe, I can't breathe."

I'm not sure if this was an intentional reference to Eric Garner, but I would absolutely not be surprised if it were.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    It's possible she was referring to 12 cans of soup with a bit of hyperbole.
    As for the meaning of the story.
    I think people were intended to come away from the story thinking,
    oh these people were cute as they were awkwardly figuring out how to be newlyweds.
    & they've grappled with grocery bills like the rest of us.

It kinda works if you don't expect the worst- with regard to her replacing the soup.

They've lived as millionaires within the political and banking class for significant periods of their lives.
    Canned Soup is super cheap, and frugal folk like my parents, have a can of soup as lunch just every day.
    A story like that could have cross appeal if it was touched up a bit.

edit: sorry I know this post can read as a bit captain obvious
    Mostly just writing ideas out as a distraction

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    BillyIdle wrote: »

I just looked up kipteh. I'm in trouble now.

I can't vouch for anything you will find in restaurants or middle eastern markets, but the home made stuff is my all time favorite.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    If she was being hyperbolic she shouldn't have said "he came home with 100 cans of soup. I mean, literally, 100 cans of soup."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Also if the soup was on sale I think either she'd mention that as part of her story and/or he'd mention it back in the past as a defense of why he bought so much soup. As it's told he bought all that soup at normal price which is what baffles me the most about the whole thing.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Gimme some good old fashioned chunky chicken noodle or chunky beef stew and a sandwich and I'm having a good afternoon

Sleep on
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Im the sort of lazy college student who buys cans of chili and eats them over my bags of rice.

And yes, i'll totally get like, 8 cans of chili in one trip. Because it's one of those weird "buy 2 for X" deals every time I go.

But 100 cans of soup? That is entirely too much soup.
    Also I fully expect a "Im at soup" with cruz's face on it to be up on youtube soonish.
    Warning: loud

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    If she was being hyperbolic she shouldn't have said "he came home with 100 cans of soup. I mean, literally, 100 cans of soup."
    'Literally' can also mean she is exaggerating.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Literally 100 cans of soup, without exaggeration or hyperbole. I don't mean figuratively, I mean actually really 100 cans of soup.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Not 99 cans, not 101 cans, not 100,000 cans. Exactly 100 cans. All the same type, and all dented.

No I don't.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The flint rescue funding was stripped out an energy bill after some asshole from Utah held up the whole thing.

Keep in mind this bill and the rescue funds had bipartisan support, but one fucker from Utah.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/13/politics/congress-flint-michigan-water-funding/index.html

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I can

100% imagine my dad buying a hundred cans of soup

But on the other hand my mom would call him a dumbass piece of white trash and make him go return it himself

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So apparently Trump called Mitt Romney a choke artist and then mimed choking while saying "I can't breathe, I can't breathe."

I'm not sure if this was an intentional reference to Eric Garner, but I would absolutely not be surprised if it were.

It's not. I doubt it even occurred to him.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Heidi Cruz wrote: »
    When I married Ted, we got back from our honeymoon, and he went off to the store and came home by himself. And I was completely shocked to see that he arrived back at our apartment with literally 100 cans of Campbell’s Chunky soup. I never bought 100 of anything.

This was shocking to me, so we had a tough conversation about it. I said, “You don’t buy 100 of anything, much less canned soup. We can’t do this. I’ll be making things.” He said, “No, I know you. you won’t be making things.”

So the next morning, it was a weekend morning, I loaded up our car before he woke up and returned every single can. And when I got home, I called my mother just to make sure I’d done the right thing as a newlywed. And she emphatically disagreed with me. And so when Ted opened the pantry, I had to quickly tell him that I would go back and buy those cans again.

There are so many questions that need answering and I wouldn't know where to begin.

What the fuck
    Is this an Onion thing

• Options
    Heidi Cruz wrote: »
    When I married Ted, we got back from our honeymoon, and he went off to the store and came home by himself. And I was completely shocked to see that he arrived back at our apartment with literally 100 cans of Campbell’s Chunky soup. I never bought 100 of anything.

This was shocking to me, so we had a tough conversation about it. I said, “You don’t buy 100 of anything, much less canned soup. We can’t do this. I’ll be making things.” He said, “No, I know you. you won’t be making things.”

So the next morning, it was a weekend morning, I loaded up our car before he woke up and returned every single can. And when I got home, I called my mother just to make sure I’d done the right thing as a newlywed. And she emphatically disagreed with me. And so when Ted opened the pantry, I had to quickly tell him that I would go back and buy those cans again.

There are so many questions that need answering and I wouldn't know where to begin.

What the fuck
    Is this an Onion thing

With Salisbury Steak and Mushrooms.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My favorite soup is borscht. I could probably survive a winter on just borscht if I had to.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Isn't that pretty much how Ukraine do?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My favorite soup is borscht. I could probably survive a winter on just borscht if I had to.
    char_31616.jpg
    Actual photo of OmnipotentBagel

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    You'd think Cruz would have the hook up on some badass caldo, what, being the son of an immigrant

But no, he resorts to Campbell's like a pindejo

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is a pindejo like a pendejo?

Fake edit: Actually I googled it, and it's a company that makes "lapel pins for assholes"

http://shop.pindejo.com/

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Interesting

I had no idea I was spelling slang wrong

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I mean I'm pretty sure Trump didn't know Paterno was dead, so I'd be surprised if he was familiar with a rallying phrase of a black rights movement.

also what the hell is a "choke artist"?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

I mean I'm pretty sure Trump didn't know Paterno was dead, so I'd be surprised if he was familiar with a rallying phrase of a black rights movement.

Trump is very Internet savvy. I imagine he is well aware of the memes and slogans of his followers, which includes hatred of BLM. For all his wealth, I honestly see Trump as the kind of guy who spends all his time on social media and forums, absorbing his politics through that void.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

"Choking" is slang and basically refers to someone who, while successful in low-profile situations, can't handle the spotlight very well. The super charismatic office worker who suddenly can't stop clearing their throat, mumbling, and stuttering when giving a presentation to the bosses? He just choked.

Marco Rubio is a good example. He can be a very good speaker, but look at his response to the SotU. He botched it hard.

A "choke artist" is someone who always does this. The Buffalo Bills of the 90s are the go-to example. They were great in regular season play, and did well in the playoffs. They appeared in the Superbowl four years in a row, and lost every one of them.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Tox wrote: »
    A "choke artist" is someone who always does this. The Buffalo Bills of the 90s are the go-to example. They were great in regular season play, and did well in the playoffs. They appeared in the Superbowl four years in a row, and lost every one of them.

Man, you know Preacher posts in here now. That's just hurtful.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The truth hurts.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    If you live in Buffalo and haven't yet accepted that your big sports teams often choke I'm not sure what can be done for you.

I'm generally just impressed that without any championship wins both the bills and the sabers consistently sell out games. Also the bills stadium and surrounding parking infrastructure is awesome for tailgating.

Sleep on
  • Options
    I love Campbell's Chunky Clam Chowder best, but my mom makes a chicken tortilla soup that I will eat for days, to the exclusion of all else. It is that good.

My father loved it and would complain it's not as good as a homemade one and then lament about how hard it was to get the ingredients to make it

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    If you live in Buffalo and haven't yet accepted that your big sports teams often choke I'm not sure what can be done for you.

I'm generally just impressed that without any championship wins both the bills and the sabers consistently sell out games. Also the bills stadium and surrounding parking infrastructure is awesome for tailgating.

The Sabers alas I keep forgetting at times they are a NHL team anymore

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    This is a completely nonsensical complaint, but...

Dammit Ted. Why couldn't you have bought 125 cans of soup. Then you could stack them in a 5x5x5 Soup Cube. That would be OK. That would make sense to me. For reasons. But 100 cans is a bullshit number for a bullshit person. I can not provide anything even resembling a rational source for this conclusion. It just is. Don't worry about it.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
This discussion has been closed.