Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I'm sympathetic. Perhaps more so since this crew hasn't yet pulled a boner, like some other developers.

On the other hand, yet another kickstarter that got caught up in its hype, adding more and more milestones and promising the moon, only to realize... oh fuck they actually have to now build a rocket to the moon. It's the upteenth time this has happened. It's hard to remain sympathetic when people keep falling into the same exact pit over and over and over again.

That said, my continued refusal to take part in kickstarters means my Give-A-Fuck quotient on the overall matter remains at zero. I hope everything works out for them. I'll just be waiting for the game to be released.

Nah, Iga makes a good point. You should be allowed to alter the delivery date in the Kickstarter before it closes, to accurately forecast when it will actually be possible to finish all the stretch goals that were funded.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I'm sympathetic. Perhaps more so since this crew hasn't yet pulled a boner, like some other developers.

On the other hand, yet another kickstarter that got caught up in its hype, adding more and more milestones and promising the moon, only to realize... oh fuck they actually have to now build a rocket to the moon. It's the upteenth time this has happened. It's hard to remain sympathetic when people keep falling into the same exact pit over and over and over again.

That said, my continued refusal to take part in kickstarters means my Give-A-Fuck quotient on the overall matter remains at zero. I hope everything works out for them. I'll just be waiting for the game to be released.

Nah, Iga makes a good point. You should be allowed to alter the delivery date in the Kickstarter before it closes, to accurately forecast when it will actually be possible to finish all the stretch goals that were funded.

Plus I'm sure he couldn't have guessed the Wii U would die so soon and that 4K versions of consoles would be a thing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    It has now been 4 years since the Wii U was released. By 2018 it will have been 6 years. That's not "soon".

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    It has now been 4 years since the Wii U was released. By 2018 it will have been 6 years. That's not "soon".

Putting it that way, yeah that was really short sighted of them. 6 years is getting pretty old even for a really popular, well-received console. The PS2 was replaced after 6 years.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    do you think anyone will still make games for the wiiu after the nx is released? I mean looking at 360/ps3 versus one/ps4, people are still producing games for the former and will probably still do so for a little while longer. I think in addition to the general lack of release of a variety of developers on the wiiu, not even nintendo will probably do much other than BoTW right?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Old consoles get new releases because of huge install bases. Don't think the U will see anything that wasn't already scheduled for it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    do you think anyone will still make games for the wiiu after the nx is released? I mean looking at 360/ps3 versus one/ps4, people are still producing games for the former and will probably still do so for a little while longer. I think in addition to the general lack of release of a variety of developers on the wiiu, not even nintendo will probably do much other than BoTW right?

Nope. Usually replaced consoles get new releases because the project was already in-work and the developer wants to recoup some of the costs, or because the old console still has a ton of customers, or because the new generation console doesn't have traction yet. There were a ton of SNES games released even after the PS1 and Saturn were on shelves, PS2 games even when the 360 was out, and so on.

Any WiiU project has already been moved to another console or canceled, it moved so few units that it was making Dreamcast owners feel good about themselves for a while, and the PS4 and Xbone are in full swing with the first big no-cross-gen holiday season coming up.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

shelf life for a console isnt really something you can count on being a solid number anymore. PS4 has had a pretty long shelf life and with 4k its essentially a new generation without blocking out the old...not to mention that backwards compatibility can do the same thing.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options

Meanwhile the Xbox 360 and PS3 both reached 10 years and are still being sold, plus there's the possibility we'll never get another traditional generational break with the PS4 and Xbox One.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Paper Mario is really fun so far.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So we're on page 90 of what will likely be the last Wii U thread. What's the over/under on the NX finally being announced before this thread hits 100 pages?

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I think we'll easily get one more Wii U thread. The NX won't launch for at least 6 more months and I'll just convert this thread to a WiiU/NX thread until the system hits.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Remind me, are there any other announced games due to hit Wii U besides Zelda?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not from Nintendo, at least.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That special edition of the first Darksiders.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    The Wii U version of Shantae Half Genie Hero hasn't been canned too, has it?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Wii U version of Shantae Half Genie Hero hasn't been canned too, has it?

Not to my knowledge. WayForward has experience porting to the WiiU anyways though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I think it would be cheaper to make an NX version and buy an NX for anyone who backed for the WiiU version.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I didn't realise how good Paper Mario looked until I had it on the big TV. You can see the texture to the paper and everything.

It's also really, really funny. I laughed out loud at
    the Toad who was defeated by the first Gooma, "just like Grandma."

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm really loving Color Splash. Beautiful graphics, witty writing and some interesting gameplay. Obviously it would be nice if it had more RPG elements, but I'll live.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I think it would be cheaper to make an NX version and buy an NX for anyone who backed for the WiiU version.

That'll probably set them back a couple hundred bucks.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

That'll probably set them back a couple hundred bucks.

I would totally be okay with this proposition, since I backed it for a Wii U copy.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Have people been writing off Color Splash too soon? Because this bit from the game is amazing.

SPOILERS!
    c05lojvawtz4.png
    4jhak2t4azjo.png
    524jku73qfwh.png
    ntdc51mkh20b.png
    dd0pkfekydgz.png
    a192tub52nz8.png
    dbc81cpj9qij.png
    btrb86kpvj1i.png
    9zsxuvkqnehu.png
    4lbfpm0kxw99.png
    qeawr9p45z5t.png
    7aj207sgmxr8.png
    9ex3h18act3g.png

1.png 551.1K
    2.png 551.1K
    6.png 544.9K
    7.png 529.9K
    3.png 557.3K
    5.png 561.5K
    4.png 553.9K
    8.png 542.1K
    10.png 152.2K
    11.png 151.4K
    13.png 156.1K
    12.png 162.4K
    9.png 543.1K
    14.png 154.5K
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Not a very shy guy, was he?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    mj4wqicyxcz4.jpg

Such teases

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Have people been writing off Color Splash too soon?

No.

If anything, that sequence only serves to highlight the shortcomings of the Sticker Star/Color Splash philosophy toward both narrative and design. If this had been a real Paper Mario game, that guy would have joined your party and become a companion for the rest of your adventure.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah but it really shows how creative they have to be to do great things under such harsh limitations.

• Options

No.

If anything, that sequence only serves to highlight the shortcomings of the Sticker Star/Color Splash philosophy toward both narrative and design. If this had been a real Paper Mario game, that guy would have joined your party and become a companion for the rest of your adventure.

I'm loving the characterisations. I'm even starting to like the fact that they're all toads. When you meet a special one (Justice Toad!) it makes it all the better.

The battle system is a weak point. Organising and painting cards is more of a hassle than it should be. I'm finding a few ways to make it more interesting tho.

For instance, powerful cards are much cheaper at the shop. when unpainted. Carrying around a bunch of unpainted fire/ice flowers feels more strategic as they use up a bunch of paint to actually use. It's more interesting than using plain old hammers/boots and having full colour hammer all the time.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    My main pain point in Sticker Star was the size of the inventory was waaaaaay too small, especially considering the Thing stickers were HUGE. How does Color Splash's inventory and handling of Things compare? From what I hear it's much better, but I'm interested in just how much better

Opty on
  • Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Yeah but it really shows how creative they have to be to do great things under such harsh limitations.

Absolutely. I lay all the blame on Nintendo's upper management, not on Intelligent Systems or the Treehouse localizers, who are clearly working very hard to make the best of the horrible situation their bosses have put them in.

• Options
    We get it, you don't like Color Splash.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

No.

Not that that couldn't also have been neat, but I think the character interaction there is poignant specifically because he doesn't join you.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Opty wrote: »
    My main pain point in Sticker Star was the size of the inventory was waaaaaay too small, especially considering the Thing stickers were HUGE. How does Color Splash's inventory and handling of Things compare? From what I hear it's much better, but I'm interested in just how much better

You've got plenty of room this time. Didn't take me long to expand to 100 cards... I forget if it gets bigger. All cards are the same size (one card is one card), including Thing cards.

The biggest problem this time is flipping through your deck to pick out cards. They *could* have provided shortcut buttons to let you flip to the Thing, Boot, Hammer, etc. segments, but they did not. So you get to flick to through the whole damn deck every single battle.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Whoops Ivan, looks like you forgot that this is the positive feelings only Nintendo thread!

I mean really now, is expressing the opinion that it appears intelligent systems had some harsh restrictions to work around considered an inflammatory statement? Because everything I've seen so far looks like a studio attempting to work creatively within the bounds they were given.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Whoops Ivan, looks like you forgot that this is the positive feelings only Nintendo thread!

I mean really now, is expressing the opinion that it appears intelligent systems had some harsh restrictions to work around considered an inflammatory statement? Because everything I've seen so far looks like a studio attempting to work creatively within the bounds they were given.

Well, in his defense, his statement is factually accurate. I don't like Color Splash. A lot, actually.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Be more constructive with your criticism. General statements of "No, it sucked/But no, it sucked" only go so far before... ok, we get it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    What are you talking about? Both of his posts were well laid out detailed opinions.

Getting a little silly here, and I don't even have a strong opinion on either side.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »

You've got plenty of room this time. Didn't take me long to expand to 100 cards... I forget if it gets bigger. All cards are the same size (one card is one card), including Thing cards.

The biggest problem this time is flipping through your deck to pick out cards. They *could* have provided shortcut buttons to let you flip to the Thing, Boot, Hammer, etc. segments, but they did not. So you get to flick to through the whole damn deck every single battle.

I agree that the organisation is a problem. The sort puts healing and coloured cards first... but it's not that useful since often you need a specific card for a specific enemy.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    The underlying point here is that "excellent creativity within restricted means" doesn't mean a whole lot if you still don't enjoy the end product because of the restricted means.

I haven't seen anything out of Color Splash that's going to make me run out and buy it as someone new to the whole RPG line, and I bet if I asked you guys which game in the series would be best to start with it probably wouldn't be this one.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    The underlying point here is that "excellent creativity within restricted means" doesn't mean a whole lot if you still don't enjoy the end product because of the restricted means.

I haven't seen anything out of Color Splash that's going to make me run out and buy it as someone new to the whole RPG line, and I bet if I asked you guys which game in the series would be best to start with it probably wouldn't be this one.

Well TTYD is definitely better... but you know, good luck purchasing a copy of that.

As it is, this is a pretty good game. It's funny, it's got some interesting puzzles, and the game play is (IMHO) fun enough to not get in the way of the former aspects.

As a Wii U and a PS4 owner, I'm pretty glad I bought this compared to everything else that's currently out there.

This discussion has been closed.