As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Nintendo going third party might be one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. The kind of cartoony, whimsical games that make up a big chunk of Nintendo's catalog make up only a tiny percentage of PS4 and Xbox One games. For the most part, those systems aren't for the whole family anymore. There's no guarantee that there's an audience for Nintendo there, as most of what sells are the big, comfortable AAA online epics. True, indies are a lot quirkier and could fit Nintendo's style, but the economics are MUCH smaller than what Nintendo needs to remain at its current size.

Which leaves -- smartphones. And sure, Pokemon Go is a monster success, and Super Mario Run has a lot of hype among normals. The games would certainly be fun, but they'd also have to be different to fit the format. In this case, we'd be left with a very different Nintendo.

I know we're getting into the area of anecdotal evidence and speculation, but out of all the Nintendo console owners I've spoken to, online and offline, the majority of them have it in addition to at least one other gaming platform. Hell, these people would probably just buy a few more games if they didn't have to buy two consoles anymore.

But ultimately, I think the hybrid console would side-step the whole "should they go third party?" issue entirely. There's never been any question regarding Nintendo's dominance in the handheld space. This would allow them to essentially "leave" the console race and focus on the handheld, while still satisfying people who still want the Nintendo console experience at home.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @Dirty

Oh yeah agreed on both points.

My friends and I all have either a PS4/Xbone and also a Wii U.

Only one of us actually had both a PS4 and Xbone along with a Wii U.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I just don't understand these weird alternate realities where Nintendo fans would refuse to buy PlayStations or XBoxes if Nintendo games moved there, and existing PS/XB users would refuse to buy Mario because it's not enough like Call of Duty. I understand not wanting them to go third party, and I don't see them doing it either, but the leaps in logic people take to explain why it shouldn't happen just baffle me at times.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Dirty wrote: »
    Nintendo going third party might be one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. The kind of cartoony, whimsical games that make up a big chunk of Nintendo's catalog make up only a tiny percentage of PS4 and Xbox One games. For the most part, those systems aren't for the whole family anymore. There's no guarantee that there's an audience for Nintendo there, as most of what sells are the big, comfortable AAA online epics. True, indies are a lot quirkier and could fit Nintendo's style, but the economics are MUCH smaller than what Nintendo needs to remain at its current size.

Which leaves -- smartphones. And sure, Pokemon Go is a monster success, and Super Mario Run has a lot of hype among normals. The games would certainly be fun, but they'd also have to be different to fit the format. In this case, we'd be left with a very different Nintendo.

I know we're getting into the area of anecdotal evidence and speculation, but out of all the Nintendo console owners I've spoken to, online and offline, the majority of them have it in addition to at least one other gaming platform. Hell, these people would probably just buy a few more games if they didn't have to buy two consoles anymore.

But ultimately, I think the hybrid console would side-step the whole "should they go third party?" issue entirely. There's never been any question regarding Nintendo's dominance in the handheld space. This would allow them to essentially "leave" the console race and focus on the handheld, while still satisfying people who still want the Nintendo console experience at home.

I just hope there's still a big enough handheld market when it gets there, considering total sales have shrunk by half this gen.

And as far as why they wouldn't buy PlayStations or Xboxes, I don't think would be a form of protest, because, well, they didn't really buy the Wii U either. And half the audience vanished from DS to 3DS. They just stopped appealing to fans for whatever reason, and they stopped being platform-purchasing fans.

Markets are quirkly like that, and it remains to be seen what new form it would take that could really bring old Nintendo fans back.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Man I can't believe its October and we still don't have any official confirmation this is even a hybrid

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Man I can't believe its October and we still don't have any official confirmation this is even a hybrid

You can't? :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    There's some kind of investor's meeting or earnings thing on the 26th which is the next popular moved goalpost for projected deadline for an announcement

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I know there's been something of an attempt to have a "one console future" before with the 3D0, which as I recall basically had a standard set of hardware that was licensed to different companies like Panasonic and Sanyo to release their own versions of.

Still, looking for someone to shed some light on this. I don't have to buy certain TVs to watch certain shows, or certain DVD/Blu-ray players to watch said medium, and generally speaking (and specs permitting), buying a game or program for an IBM or an HP or whatever computer can generally work across them all, since most run Windows.

So what would be the problem with, say, a single hardware standard that everyone developed for, games compatible across the board, with each manufacturer perhaps adding their own personal bells and whistles (controllers for one instance, maybe Xbox Live versus PSN for another)?

I know the 3D0 thing didn't work out, though if memory serves, that came down more to those producing the hardware having to eat more of the costs and thus running up the price quite a bit.

Supposing there was a way around that somehow, though, what would be the real problem with having everyone basically develop for a new hardware standard?

I guess one might argue that it would reduce the need to release new hardware going forward -- it's been said that were it not for the Genesis, Nintendo would have ridden the NES wave a while longer -- but we seem to be moving away from that sort of thing anyway.

I've seen people argue that the idea of a one console future sucks here, and since I haven't had much time to really piece together all the possible reasons for myself, I thought it might serve for a good bit of discussion about the technical or even just personal reasons people don't think it could or want it to work.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    One console....EVERYONE'S A THIRD PARTY! AND DOOOOOMED!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I know there's been something of an attempt to have a "one console future" before with the 3D0, which as I recall basically had a standard set of hardware that was licensed to different companies like Panasonic and Sanyo to release their own versions of.

Still, looking for someone to shed some light on this. I don't have to buy certain TVs to watch certain shows, or certain DVD/Blu-ray players to watch said medium, and generally speaking (and specs permitting), buying a game or program for an IBM or an HP or whatever computer can generally work across them all, since most run Windows.

So what would be the problem with, say, a single hardware standard that everyone developed for, games compatible across the board, with each manufacturer perhaps adding their own personal bells and whistles (controllers for one instance, maybe Xbox Live versus PSN for another)?

I know the 3D0 thing didn't work out, though if memory serves, that came down more to those producing the hardware having to eat more of the costs and thus running up the price quite a bit.

Supposing there was a way around that somehow, though, what would be the real problem with having everyone basically develop for a new hardware standard?

I guess one might argue that it would reduce the need to release new hardware going forward -- it's been said that were it not for the Genesis, Nintendo would have ridden the NES wave a while longer -- but we seem to be moving away from that sort of thing anyway.

I've seen people argue that the idea of a one console future sucks here, and since I haven't had much time to really piece together all the possible reasons for myself, I thought it might serve for a good bit of discussion about the technical or even just personal reasons people don't think it could or want it to work.

For the customer? No problem in theory.

For the company? They wouldn't be able to charge licensing fees for the right to publish on their platform. I mean, they could try, but with numerous companies involved it could get cost-prohibitive for developers (and costs are a massive problem as it is), or companies would rush to undercut each other and then no one gets that particular pie.

The various manufacturers would have to come together and form a single consortium to make things work like DVD or Blu-ray, but I'm sure Sony and Microsoft would fight that tooth and nail (again, licensing fee pie), and they're 900-pound gorillas.

Plus the whole Steam Machine thing went nowhere, though to be fair to your original assertion those things had like 47,000 hardware standards (which may have been the true problem).

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Honestly, if Nintendo left the hardware biz, I'd be sad. Their consoles approach things in a really fun way- Streetpass is just really clever and fun and totally transforms how I play my 3DS for the better. Yes, they're lacking in what are often pretty important features, but it's always handled with such charm that I can't help but enjoy it, and they are making progress, even if they're perpetually a half-step behind. But the games would still be good and I would still be a fan.

The REAL loss? Nintendo controllers. I know some people salivate at the prospect of playing Zelda on a dualshock, but for what my money is worth, Nintendo consistently delivers in the controller department. Yes, I even like Wiimote + Nunchuck, as weird and limited as it was, because it gave pointer / gyro / hand freedom. If they were putting their games on PC but made "3rd party" controllers still I'd be very satisfied.

I've tried playing Twilight Princess using a PlayStation 2 controller (I have an adapter for Classic Controller, PS1/2, and N64 ports), and it feels so wrong.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »
    Honestly, if Nintendo left the hardware biz, I'd be sad. Their consoles approach things in a really fun way- Streetpass is just really clever and fun and totally transforms how I play my 3DS for the better. Yes, they're lacking in what are often pretty important features, but it's always handled with such charm that I can't help but enjoy it, and they are making progress, even if they're perpetually a half-step behind. But the games would still be good and I would still be a fan.

The REAL loss? Nintendo controllers. I know some people salivate at the prospect of playing Zelda on a dualshock, but for what my money is worth, Nintendo consistently delivers in the controller department. Yes, I even like Wiimote + Nunchuck, as weird and limited as it was, because it gave pointer / gyro / hand freedom. If they were putting their games on PC but made "3rd party" controllers still I'd be very satisfied.

I've tried playing Twilight Princess using a PlayStation 2 controller (I have an adapter for Classic Controller, PS1/2, and N64 ports), and it feels so wrong.

Not to mention what Nintendo dropping handhelds would do to handheld gaming controls. Entire genres of games might die.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    There's some kind of investor's meeting or earnings thing on the 26th which is the next popular moved goalpost for projected deadline for an announcement

Investors: "So any new details you guys have on the NX, or anything else you have planned for the next year outside of mobile?"
    Kimishima: "Uh, look over there." *Throws a smoke grenade and ducks out of the room*

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    The proposed hybrid console concept gives Nintendo three distinct advantages.

#1 The Library: This is the big one. If there's anything observing the industry has taught us time and time again, it's that gamers go where the games are. Combining their home and handheld libraries would allow Nintendo to effectively double their output of first party exclusives, allowing their machine to have an attractive array of games, even without third party support.

#2 Cheaper Development Costs: Even if the docking station contains a secondary graphics processor (which seems likely, because otherwise why even have a docking station), no one would expect a hybrid console to run games at the same level as the Pro or Scorpio. That may seem like an argument against a hybrid, but it might actually be a blessing. As we all know, modern AAA PC games have ballooned in production cost, so much so that even a single failed product can put a developer in serious financial danger. This is less of a problem for Nintendo, because they make most of their profit from hardware sales anyway, but if each investment is less of a risk, then the odds of meeting their projected goals every quarter increase significantly.

#3 Lack of Competition: This one is much more of a gamble than the other two. Nintendo is banking on the theory that there is a hidden untapped market for games that occupy a space between mobile gaming and PC gaming (a category that includes Sony and Microsoft's consoles, since they're essentially specialized PCs in terms of hardware). They believe that if they can tap into this market, they can own it completely, without needing to aggressively compete with either of the above mentioned existing markets. This is a dangerous assumption, because it requires predicting how consumers will react. Instead of not competing with either, they could end up competing with both. If mobile device owners are turned off by the dedicated nature of the device and PC owners are turned off by the compromises necessary to make it function as a portable, then their hybrid console will have no audience except the ever shrinking pool of people who already buy Nintendo handhelds.

• Options
    Ninty's definitely banking on creating a brand-new market, that's for sure. We'll see if they can pull it off.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    At the minimum, I think the hybrid approach could at least give people more choices about how they play games that fit around their lifestyle better. I mean, there's so many games I'd love to continue playing on the go on my lunch breaks at work. Having the option to do so would probably mean I play more console games, and so buy more. Might take a little bit more developer work, but I think being able to transition between the two would totally be worth it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The hybrid approach should hopefully help broaden the variety of titles released, so we're not getting duplicate versions of all Nintendo's flagship titles. No more double NSMB or Mario Kart or Smash Bros releases spread between console and handheld. Just one game for the hybrid, with teams allowed to do other things. Hopefully either new series or new entries in series that have been dormant.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    The hybrid approach should hopefully help broaden the variety of titles released, so we're not getting duplicate versions of all Nintendo's flagship titles. No more double NSMB or Mario Kart or Smash Bros releases spread between console and handheld. Just one game for the hybrid, with teams allowed to do other things. Hopefully either new series or new entries in series that have been dormant.

Metroid, F-Zero, Wars, etc...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Cokomon wrote: »

Metroid, F-Zero, Wars, etc...

Or the next big hit, like Splatoon or Animal Crossing, or cult classic, like Pikmin.

post.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote: »

That is kinda crazy. Dev tools not available until at least January for hardware suppose to be released 2 months later? What kind of crap games other than first party are going to be available less than a year out. It's going to have the same damn problem the previous Nintendo consoles had...no friggin games to play on it for 8-12 months after release except the launch titles.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    That says for smaller developers. You're big third parties (Ubisoft, EA, etc) will already have them. I guess it just means fewer indie titles at first.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It doesn't even state a full reveal soon. It just says "some details"

They will state that its a console, and it plays games.

In all seriousness though, they say there will be four launch titles and I seem to remember something about roughly 4 Wii U games being ported over (well, 3 games and the new Zelda being on both). Do you think those would be the launch titles? Because umm wow, that would be somewhat interesting.

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    That says for smaller developers. You're big third parties (Ubisoft, EA, etc) will already have them. I guess it just means fewer indie titles at first.

Which is a little disappointing because Wii U actually got some pretty decent indie love (more than the Xbox One, at any rate). But I'm guessing Nintendo's worried about their big secret leaking out.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    http://thenextweb.com/gaming/2016/09/08/super-mario-run-is-coming-to-android-too/

I'm not going to put much weight in that picture/article.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, what, did they consult Pachter for their predictions? Sounds like the lame, already-wrong things he would predict.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That firm is saying the reveal is next week and I want to believe, but it's a long shot.

• Options
    That firm is saying the reveal is next week and I want to believe, but it's a long shot.

That's the part I want to believe though :)

• Options

It's possible the firms know something we don't, since they're privy to all kinds of info we mere mortals don't get to see.

Or maybe the guy saw something posted on earlsnintendogab.com and ran with it. Who knows.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

It's possible the firms know something we don't, since they're privy to all kinds of info we mere mortals don't get to see.

Or maybe the guy saw something posted on earlsnintendogab.com and ran with it. Who knows.

I dunno, if they had any insider knowledge you'd think they would know Mario Run is coming to Android, as Nintendo kind of officially said that and stuff....

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The NX is actually 3 WiiUs duct-taped together. The final name is the Nintendo Triforce. Launch games include Metroid: Another M and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival 2. BOTW delayed until 2018.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    3 Wii Us in a trenchcoat, the NX will be a business console for grown ups

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    3 Wii Us in a trenchcoat, the NX will be a business console for grown ups

Bojack reference?

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    So ... if the Wii was two duct tape Gamecubes ... and the Wii U was two (or was it three) duct taped Wiis then according to math the NX is Texa$ ( o _ 0 ). Either that or it's 12 GameCubes ... Doomed Confirmed? Flawless maths.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Who thinks $300-$350 is too much for a console? That's standard-to-cheap.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Its fairly expensive for a Nintendo console, which have typically entered the market at $250 or less.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Who thinks $300-$350 is too much for a console? That's standard-to-cheap.

Xbone S is $300, no? Part of the appeal to a 'weaker' Nintendo console is that it comes in cheaper than the competition, like a trade off.

Is silly, but I'd be lying if it didn't factor into my decision to get a Wii U on top of a PS4...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I mean, if I were trying to justify that price point to someone, the line would be "It's more expensive than the usual Nintendo console, but it replaces both your WiiU and your 3DS".

All things assumed, y'know.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    So ... if the Wii was two duct tape Gamecubes ... and the Wii U was two (or was it three) duct taped Wiis then according to math the NX is Texa$ ( o _ 0 ). Either that or it's 12 GameCubes ... Doomed Confirmed? Flawless maths.

Let's see here: 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit, 128 bit...

*Counts on fingers*

We're gonna be in the 1024 bit generation!! ZOMG!!!

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    When you consider inflation, wasn't the NES originally around $400 and the SNES around $330?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
This discussion has been closed.