As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    The underlying point here is that "excellent creativity within restricted means" doesn't mean a whole lot if you still don't enjoy the end product because of the restricted means.

I haven't seen anything out of Color Splash that's going to make me run out and buy it as someone new to the whole RPG line, and I bet if I asked you guys which game in the series would be best to start with it probably wouldn't be this one.

Well TTYD is definitely better... but you know, good luck purchasing a copy of that.

As it is, this is a pretty good game. It's funny, it's got some interesting puzzles, and the game play is (IMHO) fun enough to not get in the way of the former aspects.

As a Wii U and a PS4 owner, I'm pretty glad I bought this compared to everything else that's currently out there.

I think you can get the original Paper Mario on the Wii's Virtual Console?

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Well, friends and I played all the way through Affordable Space Adventures (except the free DLC extra levels, didn't have time to do them all).

Had an absolute blast. Hands down best use of the gamepad and Miiverse integration in my book, which would definitely make it about the best $1 I ever spent.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    The underlying point here is that "excellent creativity within restricted means" doesn't mean a whole lot if you still don't enjoy the end product because of the restricted means.

I haven't seen anything out of Color Splash that's going to make me run out and buy it as someone new to the whole RPG line, and I bet if I asked you guys which game in the series would be best to start with it probably wouldn't be this one.

Well TTYD is definitely better... but you know, good luck purchasing a copy of that.

As it is, this is a pretty good game. It's funny, it's got some interesting puzzles, and the game play is (IMHO) fun enough to not get in the way of the former aspects.

As a Wii U and a PS4 owner, I'm pretty glad I bought this compared to everything else that's currently out there.

I think you can get the original Paper Mario on the Wii's Virtual Console?

I haven't played enough of Paper Mario (and/or Super Mario RPG) to really comment whether they are better choices to enter the series with.

All I can say is I'm playing a lot of Dark Souls 3 at the moment, and having a game as funny as PM:CS is a really nice addition in my life.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think the original Paper Mario is the best entry. If you jump right into TTYD you can't appreciate just how good it is without the strong basis of the first game. The first one was an excellent game, and TTYD improve upon it in almost every single way you could think of.

I actually own TTYD but replaced my Wii on the tv stand with a Wii U so its kind of a hassle to play it. But still have Paper Mario on the virtual console (it is on the Wii VC if you needed confirmation) and was recently playing it. It still holds up very well. It is only slightly behind TTYD in all categories which makes it still a great game to play. Probably the worst part of it is that partners are more limited, but its still a WAY better situation than any other paper mario game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Color Splash is pretty good. Not a fan of the card system, and having to dick around on the gamepad to set up attacks, but otherwise its a fun and funny game. I have two things right now, a fan and a plunger. I'm supposed to save those for bosses, right?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So...the NX is 5 months away from release. And we still have not even seen the hardware/specs/cost. I'm kinda vague on previous hardware releases....is this normal?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So...the NX is 5 months away from release. And we still have not even seen the hardware/specs/cost. I'm kinda vague on previous hardware releases....is this normal?

I think someone crunched the numbers and, assuming the thing really does launch in March, it passed the shortest time between announcement and launch last month.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Nintendos newest innovation is not telling anyone about it at all till it is released.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Something like Color Splash looking disappointing would also be easier to overlook if there were some other Wii U games coming out from Nintendo over the holidays. That and people are already dealing with varying levels of disappointment from Zelda getting delayed, there still being no NX info, and then of course there was the extra heaping of disappointment from Metroid fans who are also 3DS owners. Its just a rough patch for the moment and any number of things can turn it around.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    The light seems all the brighter because of how long you were stuck in the dark. That's the secret of NX?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Even a cheap console isn't exactly a small purchase for most people; you'd think you'd want to give folks, especially younger folks, time to budget and scratch together extra cash in time for your machine to release. Keeping everything under wraps for this long doesn't let anyone do that. It's a very weird situation.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    They will target the next holiday season. Launch in the Spring, so they get console sales rolling, and when closer to holidays announce a few decent bundles (games, extra controllers, maybe even some kind of cheaper overall price).

They just want to get some good buzzing for the NX before the actual focus period begins. There's always people who buy a console at launch, just make sure that they have a nice start for their library. BoW and a Mario and couple of other games for them and then all the 3rd party games they can attract to their new console.

I bet that they will be aiming long term console sales, not the initial rush. That's what the NES Classic is for. Impulse buy and most likely very popular gift for holidays.

At least that's what I'd do, make sure that your console has wings before throwing it from a cliff.

They could also say at E3 or something that "by the way, we'll have this SCD called Tingle Dongle coming out for holidays, giving your NX a boost for the upcoming titles from EA & Co this autumn"...

Of course all depend whether consumers will like the idea of the NX or not. But I don't know, seems the most likely scenario for me. Easier to sell a console for Christmas if you can show a nice selection on games for it. And of course the marketing of games would be easier if you could say that "these awesome games we have out now and these will come in the very near future". I think that most of the people have grown tired of hearing about games that won't be coming in years. Better give a reason to buy the console with games you can play now or next week, not 23 years later.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    I had expected them to do the reveal by September, but now I wonder if they're going to wait until after Sun & Moon, so they don't cut into 3DS sales for Christmas. Heck, maybe they'll post a surprise NX Direct on Christmas Day. Then people have already bought all their Xmas presents, but kids haven't had a chance yet to spend any money they got, and can save it for an NX.

Might cause a bit of outrage to reveal a successor device at literally the exact moment people are unboxing the current device :)

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I had expected them to do the reveal by September, but now I wonder if they're going to wait until after Sun & Moon, so they don't cut into 3DS sales for Christmas. Heck, maybe they'll post a surprise NX Direct on Christmas Day. Then people have already bought all their Xmas presents, but kids haven't had a chance yet to spend any money they got, and can save it for an NX.

Might cause a bit of outrage to reveal a successor device at literally the exact moment people are unboxing the current device :)

Hey, why not? When jerkwads DDOS the PSN and MS Network at Christmas again, they'll have a captive audience to watch the stream. :-p

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You know I kinda wish they would just go 3rd party already. I don't know if I can justify another console purchase that results in one or two decent games a year.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    You know I kinda wish they would just go 3rd party already. I don't know if I can justify another console purchase that results in one or two decent games a year.

I'm of the same mind. I love Nintendo games, but lately there really hasn't been enough games to justify to myself a purchase of their console. I do own a Wii U, but I bought mine years down the road and even then, man, weren't too many games I wanted. Just some I really wanted. :razz:

Handheld is a different story, my 3DS probably gets more use than my Wii U and PS4 combined. It probably also gives my PC a run for its money in total timed played.

Now that all said, if the NX is truly a combo of the home console and handheld I can easily see it being worth the purchase of admission for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I disagree completely and hope that they stay in the console/handheld business for a long time.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

The best way to see this happen is to not buy the NX, or the system after that, or the system after that. Then maybe, maybe Nintendo will go third party...or just get out of the business completely.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I always thought that Dennis Dyack "one console future" sounded like it would really fucking suck and I like having options.

If Microsoft eventually shifted to PC and that left us with Sony and Nintendo making consoles and handhelds that wouldn't be a loss worth bemoaning, but I like my Nintendo hardware goddamnit!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Both the 3DS and WiiU have been somewhat wanting for games I enjoy. If they move forward with a single platform, the combined output would make the system much more worthwhile.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Nintendo going third party wouldn't be an entirely bad thing if it meant playing their games on a console with more of the modern features and less of the pointless ones. More voice chat, less Waru Waru plaza. But I'm not exactly wishing for Nintendo to throw in the towel on hardware... just to get their acts together. Wii U was flat out lousy hardware and I won't be sad to see that era behind us.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I know a lot of the Nintendo faithful see it as some kind of sacrilege, the thought of Nintendo going third party. And they always point to Sega (as if Sega wasn't a fuckup before going third party). But at the end of the day, I only care about their games. I don't really care who makes the hardware that delivers the software.

• Options
    Haha I'll take "Nintendo faithful" as a compliment.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know a lot of the Nintendo faithful see it as some kind of sacrilege, the thought of Nintendo going third party. And they always point to Sega (as if Sega wasn't a fuckup before going third party). But at the end of the day, I only care about their games. I don't really care who makes the hardware that delivers the software.

I wouldn't consider it sacrilege and before I bought a Wii U I wouldn't even call myself faithful to Nintendo. I just genuinely like that there's a company out there capable of putting out cheaper, lower spec, quirky game machines that do something a PC wouldn't or couldn't. I have a PC and a WiiU; the overlap between the two is very small, and that pleases me greatly. I would consider it a damn shame if that weird niche disappeared as Nintendo became a third party video game developer and left hardware behind, because I'm certain no one would try to pick up those reigns.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I never intended it as an insult. There's a big difference between a fan and a fanboy.

I wouldn't consider it sacrilege and before I bought a Wii U I wouldn't even call myself faithful to Nintendo. I just genuinely like that there's a company out there capable of putting out cheaper, lower spec, quirky game machines that do something a PC wouldn't or couldn't. I have a PC and a WiiU; the overlap between the two is very small, and that pleases me greatly. I would consider it a damn shame if that weird niche disappeared as Nintendo became a third party video game developer and left hardware behind, because I'm certain no one would try to pick up those reigns.
    I feel the opposite on this one. Sure, there are some things that Nintendo hardware can do that other platforms can't, but those things are never the reason I enjoy their games. The things that truly make Mario and Zelda great would be the same on any hardware capable of running them.

• Options
    That said: Combining the two might work out great for everyone. If you combined the 3DS library with the WiiU library you would probably have the strongest lineup of our generation (IMO). Here's hoping the rumors are true!

Also please give us more Animal Crossing.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I never intended it as an insult. There's a big difference between a fan and a fanboy.

I feel the opposite on this one. Sure, there are some things that Nintendo hardware can do that other platforms can't, but those things are never the reason I enjoy their games. The things that truly make Mario and Zelda great would be the same on any hardware capable of running them.

Pretty much this^

I'm enjoying Color Splash a ton right now. It's a pretty game, and the lighthearted humor is really enjoyable. The battle system is mildly annoying, however. It takes more time than necessary to perform even the simplest attack. First you have to select the card you want to use from the gamepad, but you have to wait for a second for some delay to pass before it realizes you're trying to slide the card into the slot on the pad. Then you have to tap a ready button. Next you have to press down on the card to power it up and press another ready button. Then you have to flick the cards back up to the tv screen from the gamepad. Now you can begin your attack.

It might not seem like a lot, but battles begin to get tedious because all those little delays become time consuming. It's all unnecessary too! They could've just implemented a normal Paper Mario/M&L battle system, and nobody would've been upset. Cramming the gamepad in there just because was kinda the wrong move, IMO. It takes away some of the enjoyment from the game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Go into your options and change battle input to advanced. Now selecting cards and painting them are under one ready button.
    It's still an annoying two step process but it cuts out one of the steps at least. And also you can forget to paint and mildly screw yourself so that's always fun.

• Options

That's true about Mario and Zelda, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about. I'm sure I'm in the minority on these boards but I genuinely find the Wii U fun to just dick around with. I really enjoy interacting with my console and my games using such a goofy thing as the gamepad; it has an experiential quality for me that other consoles and my PC don't have, and I'm glad there's a company that is willing to try weird shit like that. Absolutely, it's simpler for a game to (for one small example) have a map menu that comes up with a button, but I think it's neat and fun to be holding the map in your hands, so to speak, by having it on a second screen on your controller. I'm excited to see how funky and different the NX is going to be.

I'm also glad that there are other systems I can use that don't have that going for them. Variety is good. Lumping everything together into a small number of very similar machines is not where I want the industry to be headed.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Unifying platforms by way of turning console producers third party sounds like some utopian future but less diversity in hardware in the industry will lead to less competition and less of a desire to produce what the consumer wants - because there's less of a choice for consumers anyway

Removing any of the big three from the business of producing consoles without replacing them in the competitive space will only be a net negative for the health of the industry as a whole.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Unifying platforms by way of turning console producers third party sounds like some utopian future but less diversity in hardware in the industry will lead to less competition and less of a desire to produce what the consumer wants - because there's less of a choice for consumers anyway

Removing any of the big three from the business of producing consoles without replacing them in the competitive space will only be a net negative for the health of the industry as a whole.

While I can certainly agree with this on paper the reality (at the moment anyway) is that there is really only two choices, Sony or Microsoft (in the console market at any rate).

Now if you want to play Nintendo games UND ONLY NINTENDO you'll need to buy their console. Aside from a very small number of notable exceptions people buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games. You don't really do that for Sony or Microsoft.

Sony and Microsoft are off competing for dominance of the playground, while Nintendo has undisputed control over the sandbox.

By that I mean Sony and Microsoft are not exactly competing with Nintendo. They are competing against each other. Whether you buy a PS4 or Xbone, apart from a small handful of first party games, you're going to have access to all the same games. If you buy a Nintendo console (at least lately) you're not going to have access to all those same games as Sony and Microsoft, but you will have access to Nintendo games, which is pretty much the only reason to buy their console.

From a business standpoint that is pretty slick and one of the big reasons why they'll probably not drop the console side of their business any time soon.

edit- in a weird way Nintendo is kind of in the same sort of, I dunno, "space" as PCs were for gaming. Like, you had your consoles, but then over here was this other machine that also had video games, games that you couldn't really get on a console.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Pretty much this^

I'm enjoying Color Splash a ton right now. It's a pretty game, and the lighthearted humor is really enjoyable. The battle system is mildly annoying, however. It takes more time than necessary to perform even the simplest attack. First you have to select the card you want to use from the gamepad, but you have to wait for a second for some delay to pass before it realizes you're trying to slide the card into the slot on the pad. Then you have to tap a ready button. Next you have to press down on the card to power it up and press another ready button. Then you have to flick the cards back up to the tv screen from the gamepad. Now you can begin your attack.

It might not seem like a lot, but battles begin to get tedious because all those little delays become time consuming. It's all unnecessary too! They could've just implemented a normal Paper Mario/M&L battle system, and nobody would've been upset. Cramming the gamepad in there just because was kinda the wrong move, IMO. It takes away some of the enjoyment from the game.

Yeah the card battle system seems pretty pointless. Like, just have a single card with unlimited uses for each attack. That way you could have them all laid out and you just tap on the appropriate attack, no shuffling needed, and it would make getting a new card a special reward. That's all they needed to do.

Other than that, it's pretty damn fun and the writing is pretty fantastic and holy shit this is my new jam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMJs5TJODBM

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Honestly, if Nintendo left the hardware biz, I'd be sad. Their consoles approach things in a really fun way- Streetpass is just really clever and fun and totally transforms how I play my 3DS for the better. Yes, they're lacking in what are often pretty important features, but it's always handled with such charm that I can't help but enjoy it, and they are making progress, even if they're perpetually a half-step behind. But the games would still be good and I would still be a fan.

The REAL loss? Nintendo controllers. I know some people salivate at the prospect of playing Zelda on a dualshock, but for what my money is worth, Nintendo consistently delivers in the controller department. Yes, I even like Wiimote + Nunchuck, as weird and limited as it was, because it gave pointer / gyro / hand freedom. If they were putting their games on PC but made "3rd party" controllers still I'd be very satisfied.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Truly, on balance, Nintendo's approach to product design cannot be equaled. As nice as it would be to have Nintendo as a software functionary, so much of who and what they are also stems from their attention to detail on their physical consoles, controllers, and even packaging, it would be a damn shame not to have that.

Of course, should such a day come, I could easily imagine Nintendo finding a way to sell goddamn replicas of their consoles to people.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I think the original Paper Mario is the best entry. If you jump right into TTYD you can't appreciate just how good it is without the strong basis of the first game. The first one was an excellent game, and TTYD improve upon it in almost every single way you could think of.
    I hate the original paper mario, but I love TTYD so your mileage is really going to vary on this one.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I've noticed that you can manually rearrange the cards. If there's a particularly useless/annoying card that keeps appearing on the right, I pick it up and move it all the way to the left while I'm getting the card I need.

I'm also starting to think the designers really want you to avoid the battles. Often the enemy placement is set up in clever ways to test your ability to move through the level carefully. I especially notice this when I'm revisiting a level to get a second star.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Honestly, if Nintendo left the hardware biz, I'd be sad. Their consoles approach things in a really fun way- Streetpass is just really clever and fun and totally transforms how I play my 3DS for the better. Yes, they're lacking in what are often pretty important features, but it's always handled with such charm that I can't help but enjoy it, and they are making progress, even if they're perpetually a half-step behind. But the games would still be good and I would still be a fan.

The REAL loss? Nintendo controllers. I know some people salivate at the prospect of playing Zelda on a dualshock, but for what my money is worth, Nintendo consistently delivers in the controller department. Yes, I even like Wiimote + Nunchuck, as weird and limited as it was, because it gave pointer / gyro / hand freedom. If they were putting their games on PC but made "3rd party" controllers still I'd be very satisfied.

Speaking for myself, I like that the competition have refined their controllers without drastic changes. The PlayStation's dualshock was pretty good, then very good, then wireless, now it's a gimmick loaded marvel of comfort and creativity. Cause they stuck with a design for 20 years, tinkering and improving. Xbox has even more of a sharp curve to it, since their first try was terrible, and their current effort is damn near perfect.

It isn't as exciting to pick up a new Sony or Microsoft controller, because it feels familiar, but there is something to be said for not starting from scratch each time.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

Speaking for myself, I like that the competition have refined their controllers without drastic changes. The PlayStation's dualshock was pretty good, then very good, then wireless, now it's a gimmick loaded marvel of comfort and creativity. Cause they stuck with a design for 20 years, tinkering and improving. Xbox has even more of a sharp curve to it, since their first try was terrible, and their current effort is damn near perfect.

It isn't as exciting to pick up a new Sony or Microsoft controller, because it feels familiar, but there is something to be said for not starting from scratch each time.

Of course, Nintendo's handhelds have actually iterated the controls cleanly...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo going third party might be one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. The kind of cartoony, whimsical games that make up a big chunk of Nintendo's catalog make up only a tiny percentage of PS4 and Xbox One games. For the most part, those systems aren't for the whole family anymore. There's no guarantee that there's an audience for Nintendo there, as most of what sells are the big, comfortable AAA online epics. True, indies are a lot quirkier and could fit Nintendo's style, but the economics are MUCH smaller than what Nintendo needs to remain at its current size.

Which leaves -- smartphones. And sure, Pokemon Go is a monster success, and Super Mario Run has a lot of hype among normals. The games would certainly be fun, but they'd also have to be different to fit the format. In this case, we'd be left with a very different Nintendo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.