As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    While I might not like the game's art style, Relic certainly can do concept art:
    https://www.dawnofwar.com/images/gabriel-main-1080.jpg

altid on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I would actually quite like sync kills to be campaign and skirmish vs AI only.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    i am digging that the imperial knight is not technically a space marine

i didnt know all that lore about the knight errants and the houses and so on i assume its fairly new?

Yeah, all the lore on the Imperial Knights is fairly new IIRC, as the Knights themselves were only released fairly recently. I think a year, maybe two back.
    I don't know if they had been mentioned in the lore before that or not, but I don't think they had been.

Imperial Knights are actually pretty old. They were first introduced back in 1990... it just took them 25 years to finally get back to them.

Just look at this big ass wiki page on them. And them Rogue Trader era models yo! warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Knight

Reading it makes me want a Imperial Knights RPG. Either on the computer or PnP I don't care I just want.

The word 'massive' appears 20 times in that article.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    i am digging that the imperial knight is not technically a space marine

i didnt know all that lore about the knight errants and the houses and so on i assume its fairly new?

Yeah, all the lore on the Imperial Knights is fairly new IIRC, as the Knights themselves were only released fairly recently. I think a year, maybe two back.
    I don't know if they had been mentioned in the lore before that or not, but I don't think they had been.

Imperial Knights are actually pretty old. They were first introduced back in 1990... it just took them 25 years to finally get back to them.

Just look at this big ass wiki page on them. And them Rogue Trader era models yo! warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Knight

Reading it makes me want a Imperial Knights RPG. Either on the computer or PnP I don't care I just want.

Huh, guess I learn something new every day. I thought they were fairly new as I had just recently seen the 40k scaled ones come out and hadn't read about them in any of the 40k novels.
    Didn't occur to me that they probably had roots in some earlier games.

As for that RPG, yeah, sign me up for that.

I think a simulator game could be fun as well. Mowing down legions of (traitor?) guardsmen or swarms of ork foot soldiers with near-impunity, regular fights against other knights or assorted knight sized war machines, maybe a boss fight against a wolf hound or two, maybe a big boss fight where you have to hamstring a full sized titan?

Hey, maybe combine the two? A knight sim where you level up to improve the machine's speed or turning, buy bigger, better guns and strap on thicker armor or better shields?
    Maybe integrate it with the VR units that are coming out. Would really love to do that whole "mowing down helpless foot soldiers" thing from a first person perspective.

Now i'm sad that it's not likely to happen.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That wikia link has a very liberal definition of the "Rogue Trader" era. I think the 1990 date of introduction is correct, when Titan Legions was released for 2nd ed Epic Space Marine. Most if not all of those models and artwork is from that release, I think.

EDIT: Wait, no, 1990 was 2nd edition Epic. Titan Legions was 1994, which is where most of that art comes from. But I think the 1990 army book or the Renegades manual did mention something about worlds where sometimes Knight households would live side-by-side with Eldar Exodites.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Any word on co-op? That was possibly the best, most insightful feature in Dawn of War II.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    While I might not like the game's art style, Relic certainly can do concept art:

Shouldn't he be missing half his face and with a bionic eye?

That's kind of how he ended up at the end of the SM campaign after getting a little... smashed.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    subedii wrote: »

That's kind of how he ended up at the end of the SM campaign after getting a little... smashed.

Well, going by another concept/render he's missing an eye and has a few scars, but not much more than that (visibly anyway).
    https://www.dawnofwar.com/images/gabriel-panel-1080.jpg

I do wonder how they'll handle the "our chapter master devoted himself to Khorne and was half way to a daemon prince" thing though. I'm not an expert, but isn't the Inquisition somewhat less than forgiving about things like that?

altid on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Well, going by another concept/render he's missing an eye and has a few scars, but not much more than that (visibly anyway).
    https://www.dawnofwar.com/images/gabriel-panel-1080.jpg

I do wonder how they'll handle the "our chapter master devoted himself to Khorne and was half way to a daemon prince" thing though. I'm not an expert, but isn't the Inquisition somewhat less than forgiving about things like that?

"Kyras left much corrupted, and cleansing had to be thorough and merciless."

also the official forum portraits show more of his face.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Any word on co-op? That was possibly the best, most insightful feature in Dawn of War II.

It was definitely one of its best features.

However I've got a sneaking suspicion it might not be in this time around. The co-op mainly worked since the SP campaign really hewed more towards ARPG territory, you only had 4 heroes and they had a range of capabilities to make use of.

Would still be nice though.

What I'm personally really hoping for (after decent multiplayer) is a new Last Stand mode. No word on that either.

Seriously Relic needs to do a QA session at some point. None of the previews I've read seem to be asking these questions.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Gib deathwatch minicampaign with DoW2 mechanics

• Options
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oh, Solaria has short hair for the Emprah.

And furious anger towards all xenos.

She has my approval.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Not sure I'm liking the actual gameplay.

Feels like a step back from DoW2.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    DoW 1 will always be my favorite.

This looks... okay, I guess.

Dunno why they're complaining about the DoW drop pods? They were plenty dynamic / useful.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

Waaaaay too much standing out in the open. It looks more like a Starcraft than a Relic RTS.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options

Waaaaay too much standing out in the open. It looks more like a Starcraft than a Relic RTS.

Yeah I've said it before but CoH is my favorite type of RTS. Actual use of tactics rather than mashing huge armies together.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Yeah I've said it before but CoH is my favorite type of RTS. Actual use of tactics rather than mashing huge armies together.

Two armies mashing together is like, 99% of faction tactics in 40k. See: any piece of 40k artwork ever.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

I like both, but the intense micro needed to competently use your forces in CoH frequently drives me up the wall. There's nothing quite like panning the camera back to the front line only to realise that a couple of grenades have wiped out literally 90% of your army. The rock-paper-scissors balance also ensures that if you brought the wrong units into a fight they're likely to die without taking out a single enemy soldier.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm too slow and dumb for tactics, I'd rather mash huge armies together.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Yeah, it remains to be seen if the boring-looking map is because this is early days or because they are eschewing COH2's intricate and fun terrain mechanics in favor of something more starcrafty. It's too soon to tell but sad i'm not getting hyped up based on early footage.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    Also, all other discussions aside, can I just say that I hope that Relic continue their tradition of absolutely awesome voice-work in their games.

Seriously, no other RTS, probably few other games in general, have ever matched the DoW series for me when it comes to voice acting. Every race has their own 'feel' to them, and in those races each unit feels like its own character.

Frankly they quality they maintained is doubling amazing for the sheer volume of contextual voicework every unit had, down to referencing specific units and situations they were encountering. The whole thing gave Dawn of War a tremendous atmosphere to it. When I played Starcraft 2, I was actually disappointed that this was something Blizzard didn't actively crib from.

«Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!»

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I like both, but the intense micro needed to competently use your forces in CoH frequently drives me up the wall. There's nothing quite like panning the camera back to the front line only to realise that a couple of grenades have wiped out literally 90% of your army. The rock-paper-scissors balance also ensures that if you brought the wrong units into a fight they're likely to die without taking out a single enemy soldier.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm too slow and dumb for tactics, I'd rather mash huge armies together.

Not to mention the whole point of macro is to give your army an advantage in a fight. Getting a kickass economy going in an RTS feels like a waste of time when you end up bringing scissors to a rock fight. I expect there will still be a large amount of counterplay in DOW3, but the fact you can field a large army lets you bring a balanced force that won't just get hard countered. Besides, not having to micro the whole game lets you enjoy the fireworks :)

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    What chapter does the imperial knight belong to or am I reading that wrong? It has a dragon insignia, a dragon on it's left pauldron and the color scheme doesn't match the Blood Ravens.

Did they steal it?

Edit:
    Nvm, I should've read the previous page. Thanks!

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Evigilant wrote: »
    What chapter does the imperial knight belong to or am I reading that wrong? It has a dragon insignia, a dragon on it's left pauldron and the color scheme doesn't match the Blood Ravens.

Did they steal it?

Edit:
    Nvm, I should've read the previous page. Thanks!

i am laughing so hard.

• Options
    Korhedron wrote: »
    Also, all other discussions aside, can I just say that I hope that Relic continue their tradition of absolutely awesome voice-work in their games.

Seriously, no other RTS, probably few other games in general, have ever matched the DoW series for me when it comes to voice acting. Every race has their own 'feel' to them, and in those races each unit feels like its own character.

Frankly they quality they maintained is doubling amazing for the sheer volume of contextual voicework every unit had, down to referencing specific units and situations they were encountering. The whole thing gave Dawn of War a tremendous atmosphere to it. When I played Starcraft 2, I was actually disappointed that this was something Blizzard didn't actively crib from.

IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR THE EMPEROR THAN LIVE FOR YOURSELF

*crushes Nob's torso, casually spins him around in the air*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I saw it. I sat in on the private gameplay demo for the game. Gushed at the Relic guys for a bit. Talked to the project director and the studio head for a while and bellowed my praise for the franchise as well as shared some unsolicited suggestions with them. To answer a question from earlier in the thread. I as well asked after the demo about his eye, because he had a bionic one at the end of Retribution, but not in the demo. I also asked that considering that if the game would draw attention to his grievous injuries from Retribution. The not too specific answer I got was that yes his injuries aren't forgotten, he is scarred in the new game, and his eye is not healed, he just doesn't have the bionic implant in. Whether he meant that Angelos just didn't have it in at the moment or he just removed in general because he didn't like it remains to be seen. With all that in mind I suggested that if they were still doing wargear in some form or another that I'd love to see Commissar Yarrick's Bale Eye as a piece of wargear. Just imagine Angelos in melee with an enemy and then mid combo leaning forward and blasting them with the Las-eye.

The Relic folks are all class acts. I was giddy during the demo and they were a ton of fun to talk to afterwards.

Pictures coming later.

Also when I was at the Telltale booth I suggested an Inquisition game to them, where you play an Inquisitor investigating Heresy and deciding whether or not to enact Exterminatus. They all nodded approvingly to the idea. Probably, never happen though, but man if we wouldn't love to see them make that game.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I saw it. I sat in on the private gameplay demo for the game. Gushed at the Relic guys for a bit. Talked to the project director and the studio head for a while and bellowed my praise for the franchise as well as shared some unsolicited suggestions with them. To answer a question from earlier in the thread. I as well asked after the demo about his eye, because he had a bionic one at the end of Retribution, but not in the demo. I also asked that considering that if the game would draw attention to his grievous injuries from Retribution. The not too specific answer I got was that yes his injuries aren't forgotten, he is scarred in the new game, and his eye is not healed, he just doesn't have the bionic implant in. Whether he meant that Angelos just didn't have it in at the moment or he just removed in general because he didn't like it remains to be seen. With all that in mind I suggested that if they were still doing wargear in some form or another that I'd love to see Commissar Yarrick's Bale Eye as a piece of wargear. Just imagine Angelos in melee with an enemy and then mid combo leaning forward and blasting them with the Las-eye.

The Relic folks are all class acts. I was giddy during the demo and they were a ton of fun to talk to afterwards.

Pictures coming later.

Also when I was at the Telltale booth I suggested an Inquisition game to them, where you play an Inquisitor investigating Heresy and deciding whether or not to enact Exterminatus. They all nodded approvingly to the idea. Probably, never happen though, but man if we wouldn't love to see them make that game.

Negative, strategic value Absolute.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

We have a Eisenhorn: Xenos game coming as well as Inquisitor: Martyr.
    odds are that at least one of those will have some Heresy for you to purge.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

The Eisenhorn game is a mobile port of a third person game, and Inquisitor: Martyr is an action RPG. I'm talking a Telltale style narrative driven game about the Inquisition.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Warhammer is to grimedark for Telltale.

Telltale made me feel bad about my choices, regret the path I took, even if it was the best one.

Warhammer Telltale? All guilty, all the time. No regrets.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Korhedron wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrrCY7dgaqs

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

The Eisenhorn game is a mobile port of a third person game, and Inquisitor: Martyr is an action RPG. I'm talking a Telltale style narrative driven game about the Inquisition.

Telltale would be good.

Also, Obsidian RPG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    One thing that confuses me about the art style thing is the suggestion that DoW2 wasn't clear or that it was hard to follow. I can't recall any time that I had trouble picking out important information. Units like plasma cannons, las cannons, Fire prisms etc all had vfx that stood out and could be read.

More importantly, and I sincerely hope this hasn't been forgotten in DoW3, is that DoW2 had some of the best audio feedback in any RTS. Units would shout out important battlefield information like spotting, what was shooting them and what they were engaging along with grenade throws etc. All those lines also added greatly to the feel of the game and the setting. Similarly nearly all of the weapons could be distinguished by sound alone - missile launchers for example could be picked out from the firing sound, same with lascannons, brightlances, plasma cannons, suppression platforms and so on.

I'd also throw a shout out to CoH2 for unit lines - at least in the initial release. Unfortunately they shied away from unit specific lines with the added races preferring more generic lines in their place.

altid on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am not too worried about lack of cover in the video as there is a very important tag line at the bottom. Pre-alpha footage. Stuff will change. I mean there was no UI in the videos. I am curious what that is. They said there will be a cover system, it might be more DoW than DoW2. But it is still early in development.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    One thing that confuses me about the art style thing is the suggestion that DoW2 wasn't clear or that it was hard to follow. I can't recall any time that I had trouble picking out important information. Units like plasma cannons, las cannons, Fire prisms etc all had vfx that stood out and could be read.

Just to start, I wanted to make it clear this whole post is tremendously subjective:

Personally I found discerning between different styles of tac marines / devastators, or different variants of orkz kind of awkward in the middle of a brawl. With all the incidental environment detail (which was nice, don't get me wrong), bits flying around, and detailings, it could be tough to discern what was what. I mean say when I got a Seer Council, I'd frequently lose track of it amongst all the squads that had Exarchs. Similar with the Warlock, because they all shared the same model with minute detailing differences (this was helped somewhat when the permanently altered the Warlock model to give him horns).

Basically toning down the visual noise and focussing on emphasising model differences and maybe even some lighting changes can seriously help in those scenarios. In DoW 2 I felt like the game depended heavily on the unit icons above each squad to the point that it was often all I would really stare at as things really kicked off. Which when you're putting major art assets into each unit / squad, you want to avoid. At its extreme it becomes something like the Supreme Commander problem, where you're better off looking at an abstracted picture than the actual visuals. DoW2 never went to that extreme, but I felt like it certainly had elements of that same problem.

It's something they'd never really have need of in say, Starcraft, because everything looks pretty unique and are designed that way. In DoW that's not really possible given the franchise, but there can be ways to alleviate it. That's where good visual design can help, so that you don't need to depend as heavily on HUD elements to make the picture as readable. This is doubly important when you're massively increasing the army sizes that are going to be running around in the game, and given the (apparently?) lower unit health counts and faster gameplay, that readability can help a lot.

It's why TF2's (original, it's gotten muddied over time) art style was such a revelation. Compared to other modern military style games every single class was easily readable and well lit from clear across the map. Within a fraction of a second you could tell team, class and even weapon, all with zero need for HUD elements to showcase that. And that's an amazing accomplishment in such a hectic game where you've got a dozen guys running around at breakneck speed scrapping with each other in confined spaces. Compared to franchises like Battlefield there was basically no comparison.

That's as far as readability goes. There's also the simple practical concern that in a game with much larger unit counts, you can't afford to have as much system resources being dedicated to the more minute individual detailing. To a large extent that stuff is almost never noticed except in the quiet times, and you're far better off with more sweeping and obvious details and differences when it comes to having a visual "impact", particularly with the faster gameplay.

All of this of course, is YMMV.

EDIT:

All of THAT said, I'm looking at the footage that Matrias posted, and I'm not really noticing what you I would call a 'lack' of detail on the units there. In fact it still looks fairly grimdark to me as well. I don't get the complaints I'm seeing around the net about it supposedly being a more cheery art style.

subedii on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular

Mister Angelos is looking swank as hell there.

I think he'd look better with a helmet on, mind, but if he wants to block bullets with his face, who are mortals to argue?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Enjoy some pics of the DoW:III booth at E3!

Spoilered for not to spam with a wall of half a dozen pics.
    13458554_10153749509997683_4487376785748906728_o.jpg

13443223_10153749507027683_2663337241586691041_o.jpg

13475019_10153749334452683_1270503625010297949_o.jpg

13443314_10153749333142683_8111508662699143688_o.jpg

13422233_10153749334572683_2941366735532380227_o.jpg

13458749_10153749327092683_8557222772734954745_o.jpg

13416820_10153749438922683_8894561090160049767_o.jpg

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The picture with the three heads in a pile of skulls is cool, but something about the way the eldar helmet's cone slopes back from the forhead reminds me of Schwarzwald from The Big O.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

See, for me, Company of Heroes 1 struck a damn near perfect balance between fielding large armies and allowing for tactics

Playing against the AI (which, again, is most of what I do) the hard counters against infantry units like machine guns didn't kill them fast enough that I ever felt like I needed to micro the hell out of every single unit I had, and gave me time to react when they did get pinned down. Same with tanks, though those tended to die a bit faster under sustained fire and especially if you played a shit faction like the British who had only one tank worth using and it was their endgame tank... but I'm not bitter!!!

But I really don't know that you can take the structure of a game like CoH and apply it to 40k. CoH works partially because of the equipment and environments involved. You can't really translate that kind of combat to 40k without making it lose its inherent 40k-ness. Space Marines don't take cover. Space Marines are cover

Maybe if you went in a crazy Creative Assembly Total War-style direction and significantly changed how other factions worked, you might be able to translate the CoH feel into the Imperial Guard. But you'd have to have completely different cover and AI mechanics for like every single faction and I sincerely doubt Relic are in a position to do that if they even want to

As is, I'll settle for something like DoW1's cover system, rather than the micro-heavy nonsense of 2 that kept me thoroughly uninterested outside of the campaigns

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    But I really don't know that you can take the structure of a game like CoH and apply it to 40k

Well, DoW2 did that to some extent.

The great thing about CoH's gamplay evolved on its own to meet its own goals.

good takeaways, both.

Matrias on