As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    That looks very pretty already.

Kinda ironic that Angelos now seems to be wearing cataphract terminator armour, the most cumbersome variant available, while jumping around as if he had a jump pack :)

I always thought that too..... Unless they're a hero. Particularly in the heresy books. Then cumbersome armor is no problem at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    He's also flip-twirling his Daemon hammer during his jump, because Spess Mahrines.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm not quite as positive as most (yet, at least) but I was looking at the longer, less edited footage a german site put out earlier this morning:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyspr4Tkt58

I'm hoping the Gabriel Angelos voice actor is a placeholder. We need more of this (retribution spoilers etc):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI4czKLL6i0

altid on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    eurogamer put out a great article. lots of insight from them: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-13-dawn-of-war-3s-new-art-style-explained

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'm excited because it seems to combine the best bits of both the previous two games. I enjoyed the "huge battle" stuff of the original but thought the base building was kind of insane and actually limiting. If there are dudes to explode, you should spend more of your time exploding them and less trying to get your Squiggoth to navigate the ridiculous sprawl that is your base. The second game was great, but I didn't feel like the focus on champion units added as much as they took away.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    Tataros

Oh, yeah, I see it now. Got distracted by all his bling.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    It looked more like DOW II than I expected, actually.

I'm on the "wait and see" camp so far, because if anyone can do it it's Relic, but I'm wary after COH2.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I'm on the "wait and see" camp so far, because if anyone can do it it's Relic, but I'm wary after COH2.

I'm just kind of hoping that's because they wanted to show off the hammer animations and stuff. The combat did look way more chaotic than DoW 2, but I guess that could have been staged with custom scenario maps. I really missed a few of the maps from the original.

• Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »

I'm just kind of hoping that's because they wanted to show off the hammer animations and stuff. The combat did look way more chaotic than DoW 2, but I guess that could have been staged with custom scenario maps. I really missed a few of the maps from the original.
    it's a campaign mission. the footage is basically a highlight package.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    have some artillery. whirlwinds, deathstorm, three minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKsxtr8NQQs&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=199

Matrias on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It looks great to me. The cinematic look of DoW has always been one of my favorites because of that cinematic view of the universe which is just crazy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »

I'm hoping the Gabriel Angelos voice actor is a placeholder. We need more of this (retribution spoilers etc):

Agreed. It was weird. Usually VA work is Relic's strong point. But here, Gabe sounded like when someone on Crate and Crowbar is parodying Gruff Space Marine Hero.

It's weird.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    altid wrote: »

Agreed. It was weird. Usually VA work is Relic's strong point. But here, Gabe sounded like when someone on Crate and Crowbar is parodying Gruff Space Marine Hero.

It's weird.

Gib Dobson bros

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Over the weekend Warcraft 3 overtook Starcraft 2 in viewers on Twitch. I think if they combine the Hero elements of War3/DOW2 with the scale and micro of Starcraft, its gonna be a pretty accessible and entertaining game.

I think the art style will look more appropriate inside the context of the game. Its pretty sparse in the preview, but its also a snow and ice map. I would assume dirt will look a little more gritty with more grass and ground cover. The Knight seems to have enough detail for its size, about on par with a table top model or Starcraft unit.

Hopefully sync-kills are back and we can watch a couple Knights slug it out in style. The animations with those cannons are really nice, but I can't wait to put a giant chainsword or power fist on one.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular

Love the effects on the Whirlwind tanks as they launch.

In general I'm really digging the art style. I've said it before, but in DoW2 a lot of the visuals were a bit too 'noisy' and the unit models often a bit too uniform to be able to easily ascertain what was what. It's why the game depended so heavily on those icons above unit heads.

The visuals have gotten an upgrade but the main improvement I'm seeing is simply that everything is a lot more readable now without having to overdo the HUD.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Wait the giant fuck you terminator is LADY SOLARIA?

I have no idea who that is, but I didn't know girls could be terminators.

That is pretty damn cool.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Imperial Knight.

Terminator armor is to Space Marine Power armor what Space Marine Power armor is to IG flak vests. They're rare, and normally worn only by marines that have earn the right with centuries of service or some particularly badass deed.

An Imperial Knight is walking a war machine somewhere between a Dreadnaught and Titan. IIRC most Space Marine vehicles are not actually manned by Space Marines themselves, but loyal chapter serfs (usually prospects that washed out from becoming a real Space Marine and their family/descendants who have sworn lifelong service to the chapter) so more marines are available to fight on the ground, where all their enhancements can be used to the fullest. Lady Solaria is probably one of those.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Foefaller wrote: »

Imperial Knight.

terminator armor is to Space Marine Power armor what Space Marine Power armor is to IG flack vests. They're rare, and normally worn only by marines that have earn the right with centuries of service or some particularly badass deed.

Imperial Knight is walking a war machine somewhere between a Dreadnaught and Titan. IIRC most Space Marine vehicles are not actually manned by Space Marines themselves, but loyal chapter serfs (usually prospects that washed out from becoming a real Space Marine and their family/descendants who have sworn lifelong service to the chapter) so more marines are available to fight on the ground, where all their enhancements can be used to the fullest. Lady Solaria is probably one of those.

Imperial Knights are piloted by basically noble houses independent of Space Marine chapters, called Questoris Familia. There are a bunch of them from different planets, operating like questing knights of olden days. They're not Titan Legions (of the Adeptus Mechanicus) and they're not Dreadnaughts (critically wounded Space Marines interred in walking tanks).

See here for an example.

TheColonel on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    12 minutes of footage. More footage of Imperial Knights, ASM and other units being awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Wn7YUGaWI

EDIT:

1:35: you can clearly see there's some kind of structure lying frozen under the ice. Thoughts?

2:15: Good size comparison of a standard Space Marine against the Imperial Knight. That kind of scaling just wasn't practically possible last time

subedii on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also because this is the 40k Imperium which is built on recycled technology from 20 000 years ago, Knights originally where foresty equipment used by early interstellar colonists. That's why they use a huge chainsaw for close combat.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    But nearly everyone in 40K uses chainsaws in close combat, even the fancy schmancy Eldar.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    But nearly everyone in 40K uses chainsaws in close combat, even the fancy schmancy Eldar.

Imperium, Chaos, Eldar...I can't think of anyone else? Tau don't really so much do melee, Orks just use progressively larger pieces of metal, Necrons use SPACE MAGIC METAL.

Imperium is like 5 or 6 factions though so yeah lots of chainsaws up ins.

• Options

Imperial Knight.

Terminator armor is to Space Marine Power armor what Space Marine Power armor is to IG flak vests. They're rare, and normally worn only by marines that have earn the right with centuries of service or some particularly badass deed.

An Imperial Knight is walking a war machine somewhere between a Dreadnaught and Titan. IIRC most Space Marine vehicles are not actually manned by Space Marines themselves, but loyal chapter serfs (usually prospects that washed out from becoming a real Space Marine and their family/descendants who have sworn lifelong service to the chapter) so more marines are available to fight on the ground, where all their enhancements can be used to the fullest. Lady Solaria is probably one of those.

solaria is the knight pilot

i'm so proud to see this particular character realized and brought to life. long time coming.

• Options
    subedii wrote: »

In general I'm really digging the art style. I've said it before, but in DoW2 a lot of the visuals were a bit too 'noisy' and the unit models often a bit too uniform to be able to easily ascertain what was what. It's why the game depended so heavily on those icons above unit heads.

The visuals have gotten an upgrade but the main improvement I'm seeing is simply that everything is a lot more readable now without having to overdo the HUD.

@subedii, my boss has a lot to say on that

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

Imperium, Chaos, Eldar...I can't think of anyone else? Tau don't really so much do melee, Orks just use progressively larger pieces of metal, Necrons use SPACE MAGIC METAL.

Imperium is like 5 or 6 factions though so yeah lots of chainsaws up ins.

Orks have 'em, although I think in game terms they're just choppas. There are plenty on the models, though -- they're generally shorter and wider than the other factions'. I think it's part of the Stompa kit, too.

But, I mean, the Imperial Knight looks a lot like the old Warlord Titan, and those had basically the same chainsaw even though they were out-and-out battle machines.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    subedii wrote: »

@subedii, my boss has a lot to say on that

Yeah I read the article. The comments section is unfortunately a mess of angsty teenagers who are reminiscent of the complaints DoW2 got for being "too bright" as well.

I don't know if you're free to answer, but given that CoH2 hit Linux, are there any plans for a linux version of DoW3?

subedii on
  • Options
    no idea!

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    @Matrias I'd just like to say that I think DoW3 is looking awesome and I can't wait to play this game. Relic is one of my favorite developers with games I love spanning from Homeworld to current, and though I know the people at the company aren't the same now, clearly they are still doing great stuff. I also think that they've supported CoH2 really well and it's become something pretty great. It's player base has actually grown instead of shrank over the years. I need to put some time into the mp, I've had fun with it in the past.

Also really really glad DoW3 is NOT a freaking moba.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    aw shucks

• Options
    no idea!

It would very definitely be appreciated, and that's the last I'll pester you on the topic. :)

Although if you do hear anything, don't hesitate to let us know if you're allowed to.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »

Imperial Knight.

terminator armor is to Space Marine Power armor what Space Marine Power armor is to IG flack vests. They're rare, and normally worn only by marines that have earn the right with centuries of service or some particularly badass deed.

Imperial Knight is walking a war machine somewhere between a Dreadnaught and Titan. IIRC most Space Marine vehicles are not actually manned by Space Marines themselves, but loyal chapter serfs (usually prospects that washed out from becoming a real Space Marine and their family/descendants who have sworn lifelong service to the chapter) so more marines are available to fight on the ground, where all their enhancements can be used to the fullest. Lady Solaria is probably one of those.

Imperial Knights are piloted by basically noble houses independent of Space Marine chapters, called Questoris Familia. There are a bunch of them from different planets, operating like questing knights of olden days. They're not Titan Legions (of the Adeptus Mechanicus) and they're not Dreadnaughts (critically wounded Space Marines interred in walking tanks).

See here for an example.

So... I can be a mechwarrior in warhammer 40k?
    game of the year.
    game of the year all the years
    best game idea ever WHY ARE YOU NOT BUYING THIS?!!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    i am digging that the imperial knight is not technically a space marine

i didnt know all that lore about the knight errants and the houses and so on i assume its fairly new?

on the other hand one thing that is slightly perturbing me is that the animation quality is... very very janky

units are clicking in and out of animations very clearly, jerking around, i have seen barely any sync-kills (none, perhaps?) and things like the blood effects are overlapping and covering the models in a really unfortunate looking way. i dont mind the choice to go with a more painterly/colourful style but the fights seem vastly less visually engaging just to look at. readability is important... but i really hope sync kills are returning along with the relatively smooth animation of previous games as it moves into alpha&beta etc

EDIT: for example of this, see the dreadnaughts meleeing big eldar groups. they just slap the air and dont even pick anybody up and casually flamethrower them Q______________Q

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

i didnt know all that lore about the knight errants and the houses and so on i assume its fairly new?

Yeah, all the lore on the Imperial Knights is fairly new IIRC, as the Knights themselves were only released fairly recently. I think a year, maybe two back.
    I don't know if they had been mentioned in the lore before that or not, but I don't think they had been.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Imperial Knight.

i'm so proud to see this particular character realized and brought to life. long time coming.

How much fury towards xenos and heretics are we talking here?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Imperial Knight.

How much fury towards xenos and heretics are we talking here?

more than what passes for fury among their misbegotten kind

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah, all the lore on the Imperial Knights is fairly new IIRC, as the Knights themselves were only released fairly recently. I think a year, maybe two back.
    I don't know if they had been mentioned in the lore before that or not, but I don't think they had been.

Imperial Knights are actually pretty old. They were first introduced back in 1990... it just took them 25 years to finally get back to them.

Just look at this big ass wiki page on them. And them Rogue Trader era models yo! warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Knight

Reading it makes me want a Imperial Knights RPG. Either on the computer or PnP I don't care I just want.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Imperial Knights are actually pretty old. They were first introduced back in 1990... it just took them 25 years to finally get back to them.

Just look at this big ass wiki page on them. And them Rogue Trader era models yo! warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Knight

Reading it makes me want a Imperial Knights RPG. Either on the computer or PnP I don't care I just want.

Just get the last edition of the Mechwarrior/Battletech RPG, Dark Heresy for 40K, and house rules a campaign together?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Not an rpg, but the appstore has a rail shooter that makes you an Imperial Knight.

I hope guardsmen can use Imperial Knights, or at least the smaller titans like Warhound titans.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Not an rpg, but the appstore has a rail shooter that makes you an Imperial Knight.

I hope guardsmen can use Imperial Knights, or at least the smaller titans like Warhound titans.

In the tabletop game? Imperial Knights can be taken with any Imperial military force (they're battlebrothers with all of them under the allied rules iirc). Titans I don't know the current rules, but are usually depicted alongside Imperial Guard (now called Astra Militarum because it can be copyrighted, in case you didn't know), Space Marines, or Adeptus Mechanicus armies AFAIK.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    That name is so dumb.

Astra Militarum "Astral Military" Space Military, woo.

Adeptus Astartes doesn't make since either, basically dog-latin for "Adepts of the Stars" but at least Astartes is an obscure old Germanic or Celtic goddess of war that kind of makes it clever.