Options

[Movies] Holy shit! They're Making a BFG Movie?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I'd like a new Bond introduction in which 007 only ever appears from the perspective of other agents and is never specifically identified, so you don't actually know who he is until the end of the movie.

Man how great would it be if Sony managed to put out an action movie that turns out to actually be a Bond film in the last third? They'd never do it and it'd be almost impossible to pull off in today's media climate but what a twist...

Here's how I'd make it.

It'd be the story of a young, wet behind the ears agent on his first mission. Something diplomatic, with lots of spying rather than lots of spying. In the end he does his thing and wins and whatever and they tell him he's passed his test and give him his cover identity (which we don't see) and send him into a party. The guy at the door says "name please?" and he says "Bond. James Bond".

But yeah, you'd never be able to do it, let alone have it unspoiled. Would be fun though!

The problem though is I feel like that kind of move is hard to make without it feeling all kinds of hokey

I cannot think of the name of it, but there's some melodrama movie that at the very end of it reveals it takes place on September 10th, 2001 and it's so lame it's actually a laugh moment

And that's what that reminds me of

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I'd like a new Bond introduction in which 007 only ever appears from the perspective of other agents and is never specifically identified, so you don't actually know who he is until the end of the movie.

Man how great would it be if Sony managed to put out an action movie that turns out to actually be a Bond film in the last third? They'd never do it and it'd be almost impossible to pull off in today's media climate but what a twist...

Here's how I'd make it.

It'd be the story of a young, wet behind the ears agent on his first mission. Something diplomatic, with lots of spying rather than lots of spying. In the end he does his thing and wins and whatever and they tell him he's passed his test and give him his cover identity (which we don't see) and send him into a party. The guy at the door says "name please?" and he says "Bond. James Bond".

But yeah, you'd never be able to do it, let alone have it unspoiled. Would be fun though!

The problem though is I feel like that kind of move is hard to make without it feeling all kinds of hokey

I cannot think of the name of it, but there's some melodrama movie that at the very end of it reveals it takes place on September 10th, 2001 and it's so lame it's actually a laugh moment

And that's what that reminds me of

Yeah, I can see the comparison for sure. The scenario where it works is heavily predicated on the film before it being really great so that you're fully on board. The movie you're thinking of sucks shit waaaaaaay before that point. Also it's using a tragedy for it's plot twist in a really gross way. The twist has to be an extra thing, where you go "holy shit, that character I love is the new James Bond?!" rather than "oh for fuck's sake".

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    that Robert Pattinson movie... I think it's called "Remember Me" or something equally dumb

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    But I mean imagine if it worked. Imagine the one shot following him into the building. Imagine a musical cue that's creeping closer and closer to the bond theme. Imagine thinking, "wait... are they?" and figuring it out three seconds before he says it. It could be amazing if it was done right, or the worst thing ever. That tends to be where most things like that lie.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

KalTorak wrote: »
    that Robert Pattinson movie... I think it's called "Remember Me" or something equally dumb

You mean "Surprise 9/11"?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Caught The Man From U.N.C.L.E. earlier in the week.

Occasional gripes with a repetitive editing trick and a scene or two aside, it's a recommend from me (and currently on HBO's rotation).
    I mean, they beat the "scene C while scenes A-B that happened before C play" horse into the fucking ground. I actually yelled at the TV when it happened during the missile sequence at the end.

But I dug a lot of it, the soundtrack was great, and if there was a single part I loved more than others, it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZ5VQVHMoc

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Man from U.N.C.L.E. was great

Might've been my favorite blockbuster from last year

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    If you wanna do a lady it should at least be a british lady

And as much as I like Emily Blunt and Daisy Ridley I've seen them fancast in everything lately

what about

Rosamund Pike

having a former bond girl--terrible as her entry may have been--become a bond would have a certain cool factor

Oooooh, Rosamund Pike is a great idea.

very, very rarely I have them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Rosamund Pike was a Bond girl?

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Rosamund Pike was a Bond girl?

Die Another Day.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I thought she was going to be hot shit after Gone Girl and I don't think I've seen her in anything. Disappointing.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm fine with pretty much every suggestion I've seen except for Eva Green

I just thought about how insane the backlash would be over a Jane Bond though

If people are getting this up in arms about Ghostbusters, the blowback for a woman Bond would be insane

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    But I mean imagine if it worked. Imagine the one shot following him into the building. Imagine a musical cue that's creeping closer and closer to the bond theme. Imagine thinking, "wait... are they?" and figuring it out three seconds before he says it. It could be amazing if it was done right, or the worst thing ever. That tends to be where most things like that lie.

It would work super well if they didn't feel such a need to market everything as THE NEXT JAMES BOND FILM to get buts in the seats.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Craig has been so good at playing up Bond's self-loathing and thuggish, asshole nature

It's a shame to lose him, but I can't fault him for wanting out, and four movies is a fine enough tenure

And I know, I know it's old hat, but Idris Elba as Bond is still my personal pick. The guy's a good actor and (almost more importantly) he has enough raw charisma that even if the writing isn't up to snuff he could still carry a picture and make it entertaining

Tom Hiddleston could do a lot to make Bond menacing, though. Not like Craig's rugby-player caveman-brow fastest-way-around-is-through-this-wall attitude, but in that sort of cold, knife-edge sort of way. Don't know that they'd ever really want that for James Bond--seems like he'd be a better Bond villain, to be honest--but it could be very cool!

Really, as long as it's not Benedict Cumberbatch I'm game for whoever

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Benedict Cumberbatch would be a terrible Bond.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Benedict Cumberbatch would be a terrible Bond.

He could probably do a decent Bond villain. Maybe not the headliner, but a recurring minor villain maybe.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I want a British actor to play Bond because frankly most American actors do shit English accents

Uhm excuse me it's pronounced shite

No it isn't, we say shit too. Shite is a different word and it's use compared to shit is largely a regional variant.

3Gpey.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    what's the difference between shite and shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    THE LETTER E!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    NAILED IT!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So Stephen King tweeted something today that might be a spoiler for the Dark Tower movie

Speculation below; spoilers for the ending of Dark Tower series
    in the book, when Roland reaches the Tower, he's supposed to blow the Horn of Eld
    only problem is he lost the horn years and years ago, so the quest is not completed, and he is sucked back to the beginning of the cycle to try it again, except this time the horn is on his belt, implying that this time around he'll be able to finish it properly

I wonder if the movie is not so much an adaptation as it is a straight-up sequel to the books; the final cycle, where he finally completes his quest

I think that could be really cool!

• Options
    So Stephen King tweeted something today that might be a spoiler for the Dark Tower movie

Speculation below; spoilers for the ending of Dark Tower series
    in the book, when Roland reaches the Tower, he's supposed to blow the Horn of Eld
    only problem is he lost the horn years and years ago, so the quest is not completed, and he is sucked back to the beginning of the cycle to try it again, except this time the horn is on his belt, implying that this time around he'll be able to finish it properly

I wonder if the movie is not so much an adaptation as it is a straight-up sequel to the books; the final cycle, where he finally completes his quest

I think that could be really cool!

I'm grinning like a total idiot right now

• Options
    That is brilliant because hooooo boy that ending to a blockbuster movie audience

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    That is brilliant because hooooo boy that ending to a blockbuster movie audience

I would love to see the original ending, but I'm the guy who's always pushing for movies to do more interesting narrative stuff that absolutely wouldn't work for the average moviegoer. You're definitely right that changing it would be a good move for accessibility.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I long assumed they would do that with a film version. It's the perfect "out" for making changes in the adaptation and still, oddly enough, remaining true to the source.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I would love to see the original ending, but I'm the guy who's always pushing for movies to do more interesting narrative stuff that absolutely wouldn't work for the average moviegoer. You're definitely right that changing it would be a good move for accessibility.

This seems like it is a perfect compromise, though

Giving something new (yet faithful) to fans of the books while giving a proper ending to moviegoers who haven't read them

Even as someone with next to no interest in reading those goddamn things, I am impressed at how clever that would be!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Giving something new (yet faithful) to fans of the books while giving a proper ending to moviegoers who haven't read them

Even as someone with next to no interest in reading those goddamn things, I am impressed at how clever that would be!

Oh for sure.
    I do absolutely love the conceit of "sequel but still mostly the same story" and that that's fully supported by the book. It's kind of like the conceit of Star Trek (2009), but way less contrived.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I want to click those spoilers but I also just finished The Gunslinger and am contemplating how invested I am in continuing the series, because I was not as into it as I would've liked

• Options
    I've never actually read the Dark Tower books but I've seen them discussed enough to have a general idea of the series and, given the cast list, will probably check out the movie.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Oh for sure.
    I do absolutely love the conceit of "sequel but still mostly the same story" and that that's fully supported by the book. It's kind of like the conceit of Star Trek (2009), but way less contrived.

It also
    Let's the movie be a bit more flexible with what it adapts and how it adapts it.

Like, I can't imagine the demon-rape and demon-baby stuff being easy to swallow nowadays.

Hell, that stuff bothered me even before I started hanging out in feminist circles.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Oh for sure.

It also
    Let's the movie be a bit more flexible with what it adapts and how it adapts it.

Like, I can't imagine the demon-rape and demon-baby stuff being easy to swallow nowadays.

Hell, that stuff bothered me even before I started hanging out in feminist circles.
    Yeah, that was kind of the idea behind the Star Trek reboot too--being able to pick and choose what elements of the original series to carry over. I know a lot of fans were a bit derisive over that decision but I always thought it was a good way to handle it (and very a Star Treky method in that it provided an adequate, if a bit hand-wavy, in-fiction explanation for a narrative contrivance). That sort of thing really appeals to me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I want to click those spoilers but I also just finished The Gunslinger and am contemplating how invested I am in continuing the series, because I was not as into it as I would've liked

The Gunslinger is absolutely the "odd duck" of the series. The rest of it is nothing like that first book, and a lot of people have suggested to just read the rest of the series first, then go back and read it. I don't agree with that personally, but I see how you can be on the fence after that one. But the rest of the series is fantastic and will likely make you appreciate the first one more later on.

• Options
    The gunslinger was written literal decades before king came back to it

IMHO the other books are much better

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    hmm, good to know - I was just thinking about checking the series out, and I need new audiobooks.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    The gunslinger was written literal decades before king came back to it

IMHO the other books are much better

Truthfully as I recall Wasteland opens with a run down of all you need to know to pick it up from there ala modern Marvel comics. I think that was the first book I read in the series when stumbling upon it all by accident in a school library. It was years before I went back and read the first two.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Nice Guys was a really great movie.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I was going to give the second one a read and if that didn't grab me either, I'd bail. Glad to hear it (might) get better!

• Options
    The Drawing of the Three is my favorite one in the series

If you're not into it by the end of book two, yeah, I wouldn't go any further

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Nice Guys was a really great movie.

Shane Black as a director is now 3 for 3 with me. May his streak continue with The Predator.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Saw Keanu today. Pretty funny. Seems like they cut a lot of sub plots involving some of the minor characters ( and the villians I'm pretty sure) though which kind of shifted the focus from the duo to Keegan's Character. Kind of hurt the movie a bit. The twist on a standard action movie ending featuring regular dudes was appreciated .

They can do better. I hope they get a chance to.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.