Options

Voltron: Legendary Defender - Do ya like (Robot) Cats?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Drat! I was going to watch this, but I'm on vacation in Japan... Guess the rights to the show haven't drifted back over here as it's not on my Netflix now :(

It seems wrong that Japan has to wait to get to watch Voltron.

If I remember right, Voltron's actually a bigger deal in the US. In Japan, it's just another old style super robot show that came out after Gundam had started changing the game. In the USA, it faced much less competition as THE giant robot show.

Yea, Golion did pretty abysmal here. There's a lot of talk that there was kind of a big Christian vibe that came with it, which was kind of a turn off. It's also true that Gundam came along shortly after and turned the "Giant Robot" thing on it's head. There really wasn't a big shift in Mecha storytelling after that until Evangelion turned the whole genre asses over elbows again.

Looking at Wiki, it looks like it came out after Mobile Suit Gundam, but before Zeta came in to make Gundam an institution. So, Gundam existed, but didn't define the genre yet.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ...what kind of Christian vibe did it have?

Old school Voltron has a big ol' Crusader-ish Cross on its chest, which in the old show is also the Crest of the Castle of Lions

4794312-9146597069-Voltr.jpg

it also serves as the key to forming Voltron

https://youtu.be/dydJjTL28Y0

Joolander on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Also his sword is a giant frickin' cross

However, the Christian Anime Alliance gave Voltron a 2/10 for its religious content (apparently)

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    The (at least) Japanese version also had western-style prayer when the princess looked for guidance. That always struck me as odd.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Just finished season 1.
    Nooooo why end it there

Dick move, Netflix. Dick move

I'm ready for season 2 right now c'mon Netflix get on that shit

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The (at least) Japanese version also had western-style prayer when the princess looked for guidance. That always struck me as odd.

Christianity and Japan have a messy, recent relationship.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Well, if you count 15th century as recent.

• Options
    Definitely not in the English version

That's crazy town

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Compared, to, say, Europe? That's fuckin' recent.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Compared, to, say, Europe? That's fuckin' recent.

I was just comparing it to the rest of Japan's history.
    When you're talking about a thousand years or more, the Dutch were there just yesterday.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I do wonder if people in Japan think it's kinda hilarious that Americans love this obscure, forgetable anime from the 80s. It'd be like if Skysurfer Strike Force or Mummies Alive! were a huge popcultural hit for them.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    I do wonder if people in Japan think it's kinda hilarious that Americans love this obscure, forgetable anime from the 80s. It'd be like if Skysurfer Strike Force or Mummies Alive! were a huge popcultural hit for them.

Almost every comment I see on Facebook about it is "Man, the music isn't there, and what is there is forgettable!"

It's like.. wow. That REALLY left an imprint on my generation, huh?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Yeah, that Voltron fanfare is pretty awesome. WEP had kind of a knack for catchy music, as Saber Rider also demonstrated. Watching the original Golion without that music is a real let down.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I really like the music in this series

I've never heard the orifinal Voltron theme

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Part of the reason I want Blu-ray is because I suspect there is a lot of bass I'm missing out on due to the streaming quality.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The best thing I can say about this show is that when I went to tell my six year old nephew about it he had already seen the entire thing and was excitably talking about "lions robots that make a big lion robot" for about 10 minutes.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If Mummies Alive wasn't a huge part of your pop cultural landscape then I don't even know

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The music is . . . Ugh. The shitty cgi Voltron had better music. Thats not a high hurdle netflix

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The best thing I can say about this show is that when I went to tell my six year old nephew about it he had already seen the entire thing and was excitably talking about "lions robots that make a big lion robot" for about 10 minutes.

Good kid

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Joolander wrote: »
    Awww hell yeah!!!

Voltron was my jam

https://youtu.be/1uS5b8aQ6z8

A robot team so cool that Optimus Prime narrated for them

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The music is . . . Ugh. The shitty cgi Voltron had better music. Thats not a high hurdle netflix

I don't know what that is but I think the faux 80s synthetic stuff is really great

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I don't know what that is but I think the faux 80s synthetic stuff is really great

http://youtu.be/hJMxUPyp8pY

Thats Voltron the third dimension. It uses the original fanfare a lot and the soundtrack isnt bad. Has some Tim Curry in it as well.

Absolutely awful past that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Yeah despite my love for the original music, I also like the new synthy stuff

Just wish they could work the old fanfare in somehow

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Yeah despite my love for the original music, I also like the new synthy stuff

Just wish they could work the old fanfare in somehow

One of my favorite things ever done with that problem was how RDM's Battlestar Galactica handled it - and it pretty much cemented why Bear McCreary is my favorite composer working in Hollywood right now.

The pilot had a small snippet of the music from the original show, but only as a throwback nod.

Bear turned it on its head and turned the original theme into the anthem of the 12 colonies, giving it a regal nature of a march and a symbol of hope through the show.

I wouldn't be surprised if Voltron's planning on doing something similar.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    how old is the "Voltron generation"?

I'm 30 and I've never seen the original

• Options
    I'm 30 and I have

HEB rentals

• Options
    I'd say slightly older than me, as I'm 34.. I was raised on Transformers. :)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    28 and I was seeing reruns as an 8-10 year old

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Athenor wrote: »
    Side note - How did Shiro get that scar across his face?

well
    He was a gladiator. Not hard to guess where he got that from.

But maybe not. Knowing this show, there may be a story behind it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Also (33 year old here) I seem to remember watching Voltron on Saturday mornings or something, I think, back when I was little kid. Late 80s maybe early 90s?

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    28 and I was seeing reruns as an 8-10 year old

Heh that reminds me

In grade school (I was 10 ish?) I had this friend who invited me over to watch "the Power Rangers Cartoon" as he called it

"Power Rangers is live-action"

"Yeah I know but they made it into a cartoon and it's so much better"

So I go and he turns it on

And it was Voltron, Defender of the Universe

Joolander on
  • Options
    That's awesome.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'd say slightly older than me, as I'm 34.. I was raised on Transformers. :)

I was too... except it was Beast Wars.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I watched Voltron, G1 transformers, Thundercats, C.O.P.S., Beast Wars, Reboot, the CGI Voltron, etc.

I watched many many cartoons as a child.

Goatmon on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I always liked Mask and Centurians

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I liked Samurai Pizza Cats and TailSpin and Darkwing Duck and Tiny Toons and Animaniacs and Power Rangers and Beast Wars

oh, and Escaflowne! remember when Fox Kids showed Escaflowne? that was pretty crazy.

• Options
    I liked Samurai Pizza Cats and TailSpin and Darkwing Duck and Tiny Toons and Animaniacs and Power Rangers and Beast Wars

oh, and Escaflowne! remember when Fox Kids showed Escaflowne? that was pretty crazy.

Didn't they butcher the living daylights out of that show?

• Options
    all I know is I remember there was an episode with an unedited shot of a dude's butt and then they stopped showing it

• Options
    I'm 36, so pretty much the perfect age for Voltron. I don't think I ever saw it on Saturday mornings, though. It always seemed to be an afternoon, after school cartoon where I lived.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    FCD wrote: »
    I'm 36, so pretty much the perfect age for Voltron. I don't think I ever saw it on Saturday mornings, though. It always seemed to be an afternoon, after school cartoon where I lived.

I'm the right age, but I never watched Voltron either. It was a syndicated show, so it was a coin flip whether any particular market would air it and mine didn't.

On the other hand, my area's UHF oddball channel got Robotech so I don't feel like I came out on the losing end.

Phillishere on